Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Question: Why are you titling a French Revolution game that takes place in 1789 and self-consciously sets out to be "the beginning" with a name that unavoidably calls to mind the events of 9 Thermidor Year II (July 27, 1794) when the most radical phase of the Revolution ended? Why are you combining Republican calendar months with Gregorian calendar years? Can we have at least one guillotine in the game so that this naming/dating choice makes even a little bit of sense?

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like I'll assume that we're actually talking about a span of time in the year 1789 that would be called the month of Thermidor later. Does the whole game take place between the days of July 19th and August 17th? Why, what's the focus point here? The biggest deal events I can think of in this time are the abolition of feudalism and the "Great Fear," although the later took place in scattered areas of the countryside whereas this seems to be a very Paris-centered game. We're too late for the fall of the Bastille and too early for the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen. Does the game tell a story that connects these events? What is even going on.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hyperdevbox posted:

• We hope to make this game part of a series (hence, "The Beginning" for the first episode) that will end at Thermidor.
  • It sounds cool in Japanese (テルミドール).
  • It is a romance story that takes place during the French Revolution, and not a French Revolution game.

There might be some connections to real historical events, but at the moment we are focusing more about the story of the two main characters and their adventures together.

The only thing here that approaches a reasonable answer is that "It sounds cool in Japanese" which, given how much you hype this up as a trilingual game, seems kinda dumb.

Seriously, though. I'll accept that you're doing the horseshit thing where a politically charged historical event is just a backdrop for a mundane story that could be set in any time and place. You're still nonetheless setting it during the French Revolution. Why not, idk, "Fructidor"? Or literally any other title that actually conveys what this game is about, since this game is not about the end of the Reign of Terror? You're saying the series ends in Thermidor Year II, but this just makes it more confusing that it's the title of the first game. Wouldn't "Thermidor" be a better subtitle for that last game than the name of the whole series? Not trying to be mean here but you're maybe a bit too optimistic about this series taking off if you're naming the whole thing after its last episode. In the meantime, you still have to sell the first.

And on that note: I'm just gonna just toss this out there as a huge French Revolution nerd, but you're probably deeply alienating to large segments of any potential customer base for a video game set in the French Revolution by treating it as this hodgepodge widow dressing for a buddy adventure story. Like I grew up playing JRPGs and I love this time period, this game should be extremely my poo poo, but your approach just leaves me cold and uninterested. Just make a Les Miserables game, I am pretty sure the original novel is in the public domain.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hyperdevbox posted:

There are plenty of reasons we decided to go with that period of time, and go with that setting. And our writer is working hard on creating an engaging story for the game that will have a deep connection to that era. He might (probably will) include some historical events and connect them to the main story.
Even though the game has a working playable engine and complete characters designs, it is still in its late concept to early development phase. which means ANYTHING (including the name of the game) can change at any time, because we have the freedom to do so.
A JRPG fan who's also a French Revolution nerd is exactly who we want to hear from, and you never know, this game might be exactly your cup of tea!
So please stay in touch, and more than anything, please be patient. This game is in its infancy and will take a long time to develop, so your continued communication with us is genuinely appreciated.

OK, so here's my communication:

1. Change the title to something that makes sense to this game as opposed to some hypothetical future final game in a series OR
2. Add guillotines to the game in some capacity

(Actually do both though.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

EgoEgress posted:

I will play Thermometer if you can romance a Tommy Wiseau guillotine character, and I think the same could be said for many people

:yeah:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

The thing you guys don't seem to understand about crowdfunding is that increased transparency is the price you pay for eschewing a traditional publisher. I asked those questions (okay, 3/4 of those questions) because they would be the exact questions anyone doing due diligence on you would after a pitch meeting.

In other words, hyperdevbox, you are soliciting investors for your business venture. People get to ask these questions and it is in your interest to answer them fully because potential prospective investors are reading what you write and as investors in your business, your business will be their business too. You want their money and they want to be assured that their money will be well spent.

I'm saying this because you seem to be savvy enough to recognize the importance of your target audience. I have said that a JRPG set in the French Revolution should be be of great interest to me, and to be honest I'd probably loving love a really well done game like that, but I would never invest in any campaign whose spokesperson communicates the way you do.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jesus Christ.

Suggestion: Revolutionary classics like say "Le Chant du Depart" or "Ah, Ca Ira" are all in the public domain. Just make remixes and leitmotifs based on them instead of whatever... that was.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH THE MARSEILLAISE

Wait I didn't get that far, did it sample it at some point?

Otherwise if you meant me, nothing, it's another great, just wanted to rep some other classics.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Justin Credible posted:

Okay so these Swiss Guards show up and the protagonist has clearly done something wrong, answers the door with a rifle which he drops when he sees who it is. He is wanted for some kind of crime and in running away from the consequences of his actions he also steals produce from a hardworking street vendor who is probably on a lower economic scale than the son of a family who own and run a successful tavern that has enough cashflow to afford to laugh about spilling and ruining several full meals' worth of food.

These are our heroes, people.

To the lampposts!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LibbyM posted:

I like the french revolution and I like tactical rpg's. Disappointed when I started this thread and found out it was actually a trainwreck comedy thread and not a thread about a game that exits or will ever exist.

Still, accepting this for what it is, could someone link to the original thread? Sounds like a good time.

lol it's been goldmined: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793353

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Isn't the sequence with the dashing rogue stealing fruit while being chased by guards, going to eat the fruit and stopping due to getting horny for princesses directly ripped from Disney's Aladdin?

It's kinda like what they're doing is generic tripe that has pretty much nothing to do with it's hyped-up setting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Palpek posted:

Jesus christ, now look at this:

:siren: Everybody watch this video :siren:

Absolutely amazing

:popeye:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Axetrain posted:

You know the French revolution wasn't a whimsical adventure and actually was super violent and terrifying right?

Eh, in 1789 it wasn't that scary or violent.

By 1794 though, when the eponymous 9 Thermidor coup happened, it was really goddamn scary. So I am expecting the finale to this series to be a nightmarish loving whirlwind of escalating violence. (jk, I'm expecting it to never come out.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So here's an interesting point of comparison: Assassin's Creed Unity.

I can't vouch for it as a game (never played it) or for its treatment of the French Revolution (from all accounts I've read, it's poo poo), but one thing I can praise it for is that it actually gives a poo poo about being set during the French Revolution and that its various trailers make this very clear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOgYM_24AuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzCEdSKMkdU

It doesn't even have anything in its title referencing the French Revolution. It's just set during it and actually makes it central to its story. But on the other hand, you have "Thermidor 1789: The Beginning," with a trailer that could be for a generic Disney movie because nothing that happens in it actually depends on its setting.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

JosephWongKS posted:

That's not true since the French liked guillotines which are good.

I think you could probably have gotten guillotined for stealing apples, so there's still some hope for Thermidor L'an -3: Le Début to be a good game!!!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Can you breed the cigars and/or guillotines?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

koolkal posted:

I'm really confused why he stole the apple. He works/lives in a tavern which serves food.

Because it's what a dashing rogue type would do, like Aladdin.

That's it, it's a gratuitous act of theft for the purposes of establishing a style based on Disney movie devil-may-care character archetypes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

They just have to steal enough apples...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

UltimateProgrammingContainer is just trolling at this point. Nuns can have Nicholas D. Wolfwood giant crucifix guns, but the game can't have guillotines? There's a loving plague doctor in 1789 Paris but we can't have loving guillotines.

gently caress you!!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 11, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

*As has been noted, well off enough that someone can drop a whole meal of food and the family just finds it funny, which is especially damning given that one of the contributing causes of the French Revolution was years of bad harvests leading to food shortages. His family aren't revolutionaries, they're the loving wealthy who are being revolted against! The lot of them would get guillotined!

Ehhhhhhhh... middle class small business people like tavern keepers in Paris initially made up a lot of the National Guard who were the "action arm" of the Third Estate/National Assembly's defense, and the Third Estate deputies they supported were even better off in many cases.

Leandre is still a despicable poo poo.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Which just makes me think: do you even get the impression from the intro that anybody is especially hungry or concerned about food? People are pointing out that in reality, dropping a plate of food stealing an apple (roll? hard to tell) might have been a bigger deal, but everyone is just so casual about it in Thermidorverse France. It's almost like this story has no reason to be set during the French Revolution!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like the obvious point of comparison is Aladdin, but wasn't he stealing bread because he, personally, was hungry and poor? Maybe if Leandre were shown to plausibly be a bit more struggling, but even then he didn't even steal that food for any apparent need, he just kinda did it for fun, on the way out from being chased by law enforcement. Christ, what a dumb rear end in a top hat.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The Iraq War except it's fought by mecha.

Wait that would kinda own, maybe.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

hyperdevbox posted:

Is it wrong that I'm imagining you as the girl in your avatar?
Anyway, don't answer that, I'd rather not know the truth...

lmbo

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

jizzy sillage posted:

oh nice, it's trying to troll now

In a way, though, they are trolling themselves (out of money).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Willfrey posted:

Two days before my lava lamp phone app went live i see this guys snowglobe app just crushing it and i had to go back to the drawing board

Idea: somehow make the lava lamp a guillotine.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Hell yeah

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Mods, this dude has people on his ignore list and yet you let him shill

Is this still funny to you all? It's honestly just embarassing for this subforum at this point tbh

Play on playas, I'm off to bigger and better projects :colbert:

Please have more faith in the mo-mos.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So the Most Christian King, Louis XVI, in the Year of Our Lord 1789, with all the other poo poo he has going on in that year (like a mass political and popular revolt against the legitimacy of his government, maybe you've heard of this), takes a personal interest in investigating this one noble girl's disappearance. Who the gently caress is she? You're writing some checks here I'm not sure you can cash.

The captain of the guards seems pretty reasonable here. I had a hard time not taking his side. He's been told that he's to find out about a kidnapped noble, he goes to the residence of the person last seen with her, who admits to having met her. He doesn't like flip out or anything, though, he just asks to search the place. He is not even personally suspicious of or hostile to Leandre. It's not what I would call the best due process but my impression is that this is a hell of a lot better than they'd have to do. Plus what the gently caress is Leandre going to do here? Actually shoot or stab members of the Swiss Guard? What's his dad going to do when he gets back about his son actually attacking the King's men?

The "Player Turn/Enemy Turn" transition screens last way too long and would annoy the gently caress out of me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I like how there's no animations other then basic movement so the savage guards can only crowd around him with extreme prejudice.

Doors in Ancient Frankistan opened of their own accord when someone got close enough to them and then teleported visitors a few feet inside the room in a flash of light.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

sethsez posted:

It really makes me feel a bit embarrassed for having been a fan, doubly so since apparently Ron thinks it was dumb of me to have been a fan as well. I'd like to think the rest of the team is cooler than this guy and have no idea what he's getting up to online under their name.

You know, as far as I can tell, it's possible that the OP has no affiliation with HDB at all. Like this could just be some kind of performance art.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

No one explain that post.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Reiterpallasch posted:

"we downloaded the free version of the Android SDK, that makes us key partners right?"

I mean, that would "explain" how they think Google is a "partner," but what about the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? How...? :psyduck:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Good stuff but gotta nitpick: Louis XVI was actually Louis XV's grandson.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

LibbyM posted:

Fructidor is pretty stressful since it seems to be very all or nothing. The moment you fall behind on cakes once and people get onto your conveyor belt once, you'll be behind on cakes for the next wave and it's a very fast spiral of death with very little opportunity to catch up.

Not only a better game, but more historically accurate!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Marie Antoinette just showed up, nearly died laughing.

GOTY

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

HBD just has to up the ante with a game about Danton cooking lobsters or something.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

For more info on the hilariously awesome politics of French bread before the Revolution: http://et.worldeconomicsassociation...t-to-existence/

The physiocrat price-deregulation scheme might not be an early expression of laissez-faire economics, but I think there's a decent argument that it laid the groundwork for what was to come.

Great post as usual, looking forward to the next!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

i offer up my life for the revolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ron are you listening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqdxBh4ZUeM

...listening to victory singing for the sovereign people??

• Locked thread