Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If all of you donated your $300-400 to education instead of buying a PS4 we’d probably be able to fund free tuition for years. But you’re all guilty of buying a bad console isntead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Now that Mario is out I never have to play this dead Sony console again

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

If I was on an island with fifa and knack I’d play knack

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

add in a coop partner to bloodborne and some of the bossfights are at 15 fps

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Imhotep posted:

Also, I just saw the page where people were arguing about Bloodborne's difficulty and aesthetic, and I know everyone's said it, but I need to chime in because I felt the same way about the aesthetic, but.... Idk, I don't want to spoil it, but it sounds like you're pretty adamant about not playing it, but It Gets Better, and gives a weird context to that seemingly lovely, like Victorian, toon town gothic city that made me adore it, and I really can't emphasize how much I hate that aesthetic (Also for context, I used to like some black metal in high school, but mostly just black metal that sounded like shoegaze, before Deafheaven was around even though I've only heard like one song and it just sounds like lovely poppy black metal idk, I listen to stuff like Oneohtrix Point Never and Arca and Autechre, etc. now and hate guitars)

~Anyways~ Like Beanpole said, I was a loving noob and didn't like playing ANY difficult games, even still I'm playing Nier on Easy when I think I might die, and Yakuza 0 on normal or easy (I think normal, cause I beat Mr. Shakedown once then I got cocky and he literally just kicked my rear end before I got a punch in...), but I literally bought my PS4 for The Last Guardian which I beat like 6 times before trying anything else, then I tried Uncharted 4 as it came with my PS4 and quit probably 2/3rds of the way through. I just hate those types of game, I was playing on easy and even then the gun play was annoying and I nearly died several times, but I quit playing because I couldn't take it anymore, it was just incredibly boring, and the difficulty didnt put me off because even if I was good at it it would just be another annoying bit in a boring game IMO.

But yeah, The Last Guardian and Team Ico in general is My poo poo, moreso than Bloodborne which is extremely my poo poo... like I've read The Paleblood Hunt which is a sort of academic style essay or book about the lore in the game, which is like what, 90 something pages? Plus I've watched Prepare to Try, the IGN UK Let's Play, as well as watching a ton of Aegon of Astora's Let's Talk Lore about the game.
It'
I only bought Bloodborne because my friend told me it was a good co op game for us to play with another friend of ours, and after weeks of trying I was literally saying gently caress this game, and around E3 last year when my coworker was hyped about the fake Blooodborne 2 logo, I happened to have my copy of Bloodborne with me and said "gently caress Bloodborne" and threw it (lightly) a few feet across the room. I couldn't even ge, past the first area in Central Yharnam where they're burning the big rear end beast, let alone to either of the first two bosses. I kept dying repeatedly and I only really gave it a go because of people in The Last Guardian thread recommending it to me as I had a brand new PS4 and had already basically platinumed The Last Guardian, except for the stupid hints trophy. As well as my Twitter friend who's got really good taste and if he recommends something I basically end up loving it, so I had my coworker show my how to play it, because I'm used to games with no HUDs, but usually the minimalism is because it's simple, not because it's the tutorial. Like he showed me how to get past that area and once I got to the first boss most people encounter, I could then level up, and then it became more fun, and by the time I beat Gascoigne, it had sorta clicked. It didn't fully click with me until I saw how weird the setting gets, and where the story goes once you get to the area right after Gascoigne, who's basically just the end of the tutorial, as people have said. It's strange to think of it like that, but I think that would've helped me because I just felt like I wasn't getting it even moreso than the average player who bounces off of it, but obviously I'm glad I stuck with it. Right after that boss is when the weird poo poo starts showing up. I still don't really play any hard games, Dark Souls 3 is just like nearly identical to Bloodborne in the feel and speed of the game, and I didn't use a shield my entire first playthrough, but was disappointed because although the setting does get better than like castles and dragons and knights, it doesn''t get better (storywise, and IMO in any other aspect) in the way that Bloodborne does.

So yeah idk, I'm not trying to brag when I say that I beat Orphan of Kos first try, I just think it's amazing how this game teaches you how to play it.. I'm still poo poo at video games, and Dark Souls 1 is really easy when compared to Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, (even 2 I think is easy if you level up adaptability to like 32 and get basically like a second of i-frames per roll), and like I didn't need my coworker really, I was just being dumb and thinking I must be missing something, but no, I was just rushing headfirst into a huge crowd of enemies and wasn't used to playing a game where you could potentially die in about as long as it takes for the game to load after you've died.

Also yeah, I played on easy in Doom when it was free to play for a month or whatever, not sure if it was just free cause it says I can still download it.. anyways, I died a couple of times in the first area when you go outside and I couldn't tell where I was being shot from, so I was like gently caress this, and didn't consider trying it again until I saw so many people raving about it, which is crazy to me. GOTY to The Last Guardian and Bloodborne in their respective years), so I should try it at some point. But the difficulty isn't what makes Bloodborne fun imo, or it is, but it's not the same thing as some other difficult game. It's truly unique, and I still can't put my finger on why besides saying how great the lore and setting etc is.

Sir this is a Knack thread

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

univbee posted:

Got a unique "Playstation Hits" question if anyone owns Until Dawn in that version: does the disc require a large patch (i.e. it's version 1.00 on the disc), or is it a more recent version?

lol

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

tanker mission openings from best to worst

COD4
MGS2
Splinter Cell 1

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

dont get a loving xbox

dont make my mistake

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

vg while you're at it beat the mgs2 tanker mission for the first time

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Surely I should finish MGS1 before I start MGS2??

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm gonna build a PC :negative:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pretty excited for the half life vr game my rift mostly just sits around

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

RE1 remake is amazing and deserve to be played too

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

play both why would you choose

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Tlou2 will

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Try putting some other rocks in holes

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I like death stranding more than sekiro but sekiro more than outer worlds and outer worlds less than dirt

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Death standing goty

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Kojima likes scantily clad women's asses and naked men's asses. I thought that much has been clear since at least MGS2.

before that

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Since black Friday psn sale is ending tonight: Metro Exodus or Spiderman?

Re2 and sekiro

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Can't stop thinking aboot Sekiro at work, I am super early but there's something about the combat that really makes you concentrate and it just feels and looks so great. I love that sword clashing noise.

Nice

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ya does that mean im supposed to play persona v in Japanese because lol im not doing that

sekiro throws in plot captions during fights ive probably missed half of what they were saying because it's a parry game requiring hyper focus

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

business is business, the most shocked and outraged people are always the gamers themselves

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's still baffling to me that everyone collectively decided to like all the terrible rear end Fast and Furious movies 5 or 6 years ago.

Same

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i thought fury road looked pretty boring so i never watched it

it still looks really boring

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

What movies look exciting to you if monster trucks shooting flamethrowers at each other in a hurricane looks boring?
I’m holding out for the kojima feature film

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wasteland aesthetic is boring

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Is Rage 2 worth playing for free?

its good if you liked fury road

is trash like fury road

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Not seeing Fury Road and then doubling down on it sucking is just making you look really stupid hth.

some might say wasteland punk is stupid

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

bows1 posted:

Really soured on Death Stranding by the end. Skipped the long nonsensical videos at the end but jesssus christ.

2 different long as credit sequences, the part with Amelie on the beach was BAD. Don't care about Mads or anhyting, so now I have no idea how the story actually went and I don't care at all

Good riddance. I enjoyed walking around and building roads, not fighting bosses or listening to the story.

arts not for everyone

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I bought a ps3 in 2019 and played mgs1-4 in completion before death stranding and god drat it was the best decision I ever made. First time playing ms1 or 4.... so good. Mgs1 now in my top ten games list of all time.

Death stranding is goty

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Last night all I wanted to do was play some Forza and the loving thing (most powerful home gaming console in the world) couldn't even start a game and kept giving me error messages ( :pcgaming: ) and I had to do a complete restart of the Xbox twice, then go do something to kill a few minutes, then come back to start the game.

The lovely thing is from a consumer rights perspective is that I would happily pay them another five bucks a month on top of my gold/game pass just to strip all the bloated bullshit adware garbage out of the desktop, like paying for ad free Hulu. It's pretty much clearly the problem too, if you unhook from the internet the Xbox dash is fast, responsive, and totally capable of launching games right when you turn it on! But then I can't stream Spotify over the game and play Forza online so :shrug:

my xbox started doing this and it progressively got worse until it stopped working completely. its an actual hardware problem with the hdd.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm sorry, maybe yours won't progress to the next symptom, which is it stops booting and says it needs to do a factory reset but it freezes if it tries

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Now is the part where I look into and find that I've never registered for any sort of extended warranty and am well past whatever their paltry basic warranty period is, I guess.

yes and I'm also sorry to report that you can try to replace the hdd and it might work for a few days or weeks but apparently the issue is complicated and will come back (some sort of hdd controller issue). microsoft sent mine back and the second time it recurred I gave up on that xbox because they wanted something like $125 after the warranty expired

edit: this was a xbox one x

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i got a ps3 in 2019 for like $75 and it owns, everything is dirt cheap and it basically plays everything the ps4 cant

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

It does what Nintendon't

It does what the PSForgoes

its a shame they never put silent hill 2 on the ps2 classics for ps3 though. back then they made the hd collection instead. looks like a miserable mess

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Squad and Hell Let Loose are pretty good alternatives to bfv but are only on steam. It's not the same though. I miss bf2-bf3 days a lot

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I agree it has problems in nearly every mechanic. What really sticks out to me, and similar to cod ww2... it doesnt feel like ww2 at all, you're putting red dot sights and poo poo on ww2 guns that are just reskinned mw2 weapons and it feels horrible.

Edit: which is why i recommend HLL because most players are running around with faction appropriate bolt action rifles or m1 garands. the guy carrying the rocky launcher is a dedicated class again etc

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 9, 2020

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it's actually pretty good now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i mean they added a lot of poo poo like MP and base building, tons of QoL improvements. Lots more structured stuff to do like missions. really decent VR support. I refunded the game originally but they actually put an amazing amount of effort into it after launch