Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Wow the trophies for TLG are pretty hardcore, not much in the way of gimmes just for playing through the game.

Hopefully this doesn't discourage rational people from actually playing the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Played through Inside earlier today. It's a cool game, and definitely worth checking out if you liked Limbo.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Horizon comes out just a few days before Zelda. Ugh

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

We are getting into semantics here but from what I've seen the new crash is more of a remaster than a remake. It looks like they've jazzed up the visuals and thats it. A remake says to me that it's being totally redone from scratch ala the ff7 remake, but again its just a definition.

In that case, SotC looks like a remake.

I have never played Skyrim. Not sure if I should get it for Switch or PSVR :homebrew:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Macarius Wrench posted:

Steam sales coming up, you could probably grab a copy for a fiver.

I only have one of those MacBooks from last year that is as thin as a pencil. Never tried playing games on it since I use it for work and video editing.

The portability of a switch (with the controller) or the novelty of VR will be what finally gets me to play it. The controls for the VR version will play a big role in my decision.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Awesome! posted:

this is like when a 30 year old starts smoking

Yeah, I'm not expecting much, especially after playing Witcher 3, but I bet it could be pretty cool in VR.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Trojan Kaiju posted:

How did things go with The Last Guardian fetch?

It was actually an awesome game if you could handle the AI. A flawed masterpiece.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's really the last couple of hours more than whatever "ending" you probably came up with on YT. It's all absolutely epic. it's not some little twist that makes it or something.

Yup. There is a great build in the last third or quarter of the game. The ending is a cathartic experience that only works if you have actually connected with the game.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn is a really good game. I put off playing it because of Zelda and Persona 5, but now I'm just about to finish it. Looking forward to the expansion pack and inevitable sequel.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Gravity Rush 2 starts off more slowly than the first game, and the opening area is ugly to boot. Weird design decisions.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I got to the big city, but I am putting Gravity Rush 2 on the back burner. I had a great time with the first one(got the plat on Vita and PS4) , but something about this just feels off.

Trying to get back into Bloodborne after taking a year off. I have no clue what is going on.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I don't even want to know how long I spent on Witcher 3. I finished all of the contracts in the base game and finished both expansions, but I still fee like I could load it up and find new stuff.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Taratang posted:

Is there a good summary anywhere of the absolute bare minimum one needs to know plot-wise going into MGS V: Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain if I've never played a MGS game before and don't really know characters outside of pop-culture/internet memes?

Not knowing the story for MGS might make you enjoy V more, since you won't care that it's poo poo.

[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476900911”"]
haha do you guys remember when people got probated for things like that

didn’t one in Games have a cute shift button avatar and would probate anyone that didn’t use caps when warranted

time to be alive
[/quote]

I got banned for using a spoiler tag in a post in the iPhone 4 release thread.

the truth fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 30, 2017

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Double post, oops

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

I'll be the voice of dissent and say that the HZD sidequests are middling at best, especially compared to the baller main quest. Aloy's VA is consistently great and all, but a lot of the sidequest characters/situations were pretty forgettable (especially in comparison to Witcher 3, the other beautiful open world game where your magic powers mostly involve you following glowing footsteps to help random peasants).

Speaking of Witcher 3, his VA does one random peasant at a hunting camp before the desert. Sounds just like Geralt.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

BoowwaaannnnBOOM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB2zqcdiufU

I now have a pavlovian response to this sound

Same. Get lots of tear mods and rip stuff apart.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When is Wolfenstein 2 out god drat I can't wait

Same day as Mario

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Renoistic posted:

My favorite colossus is the one that literally doesn't try to attack you. The devs stopped giving any pretense at that point.

Which one was that?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Probably been mentioned already, but Target has a B2G1 deal going on that includes pre-orders on games like Spider-Man, God of War, Skyrim VR, and Far Cry 5.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I can’t wait to buy SOTC for the third time. The Last Guardian was a special experience, but it got so intense and emotionally charged at the end that it doesn’t have the same replay value.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I should not have got Watch Dogs 2, even though it was on sale. I think I only enjoyed the first because it was in (a weird version of) Chicago.

I have encountered three different glitches that don’t let missions progress without resetting, the characters are annoying, and the story is basically “Do it for the lulz.”

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I like climbing around in big environments and seeing cool vistas and walking through a staged version of the Renaissance/Victorian England/France/Pirates of the Caribbean. I won't apologize for that.

Assassin's Creed games are big dumb theme rides of varying quality and interest and I appreciate them for that. Come on y'all, no need to hate on the gaming equivalent of Splash Mountain.

That’s why I like them, too. I also liked the ancient civilization story from AC2 even if everything that came later was lame.

If I buy a game in a couple weeks, I can just price match on Black Friday... right?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I've been playing Bound for like five minutes and adore it so far.

It’s a cool experience, but something about it makes me queasy.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

haveblue posted:

Try playing it in VR :getin:

It’s definitely worth trying in VR! But I felt a little off trying it in 2D mode, too.

Good speed running opportunities, allegedly. I think that’s the only way to get trophies in the game.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Feenix posted:

Oftentimes I find myself... unexcited, I guess(?) when DLC comes out for a game I utterly demolished ages ago. Like, I played the gently caress out of this, more is... unappealing.

I got Frozen Wilds and I don't know, maybe it's just a testament to the music, the sounds, the mechanics, the way it all works together.... it is SO satisfying to be back on the hunt.

HZD is an awesome game.

Are you supposed to encounter the new open area for the first time at sunrise, or did I just luck out?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Shoutout to the new Wolfenstein for having some of the worst designed enemy encounters I have ever encountered. You can barely take any damage without dying, enemies seemingly never miss, and even in the set piece battles there are too many waves of enemies. I do not believe that they actually play tested this. It’s a big step down from the first game, which had one of the best FPS campaigns I have ever played.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

What difficulty are you playing on?

Something middle of the road, I think. Meanwhile, I have no trouble playing most games on a high difficulty level.

The worst encounters i have encountered
Top of the Empire State Building
And
the court room - this could have been so cool

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Do yourself a favor and play on easy. it's the only way to make it palatable imo. The first thing you have spoilered is what prompted me to bump it down myself.

I agree the encounter design is bad and it's a miserable game to play with a controller. I didn't like that it basically plays at the same pace as Doom, but there is poo poo to get stuck on everywhere, it's hard to spot pickups in battle and it does a really poor job of indicating when you are getting hit. Just tons of random, frustrating deaths.

I made it through the second spoiler tagged section (the first minute or two is the most difficult, and it really feels random) and the following level. I am on “Do or Die” difficulty, so I guess there is a chance this frustration is my own drat fault. It looks like there are two or three difficult levels above and below it, so I thought it would be fair.

Looked at mission list and supposedly I am about halfway through the game, maybe a little more. Holy poo poo this game is long!

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

HGH posted:

Do yourself a favor and set it to "Can I Play Daddy" if you wanna have fun.

I don’t even want to know how difficult the highest settings are. You probably die if you bump into wall.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The most difficult setting is a hardcore permadeath mode where you have to beat the entire game without dying

Holy poo poo. That’s just plain ridiculous. The game isn’t balanced or designed for that to be rational or fun.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Man I am longgggg past the point of caring about difficulty trophies. Ditto collectathons

Wolfenstein 2 has 6 collectathons, too. It’s hilarious.

Lot of game in that game. Just play it and ignore the trophies.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Persona 5 honestly surprised me with the romance options they gave you which includes several older women that aside from the age gap, could have some serious career ending consequences.

“You’re a terrible teacher.”

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I did not know anything about Undertale and it is decent. There are multiple ways to play, which you will figure out as you go along. It’s not a very long game, and the story is relatively light, but it’s fun and doesn’t overstay its welcome. There is probably some decent replay value (at least one additional play through) if it clicks.

I like it, but having played it I am surprised it got so popular. It has enough good things going for it to make it an obvious cult classic, though.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wolfenstein 2 is actually fun if you turn the difficulty all the way down. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to make it so hard. Silly me got it at launch (in a Target B2G1 deal that included some big games coming out next year) to support the devs after getting the first game for $10 and loving it, but this was a disappointment. The middle difficulties are far more brutal than the most difficult settings on most games I have played in the past 15 years. Will get the next game on sale, which shouldn’t take long judging by how quickly this game dropped to $30.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Breaking out of your restraints and killing every nazi in the building was an amazing moment in the game for me.

I did that on “Do or Die.” It was not fun. There should have been some sort of automatically enabled god-mode for that part.

Turned down the difficulty once I got to New Orleans and breezes through the last third of the game.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

That is fuckin painful to watch.

Reaction videos are almost invariably garbage.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I am just now starting FF XV and I actually like it. I have mainly been driving around the world and doing side quests, and I am in the middle of Chapter 3. I know I have a long way to go, but it’s a lot better than I imagined. The combat is fun even if the story is definitely disjointed and awkward.

Is the exploration and combat like this in FF XII?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Thanks for the feedback on FF XII. I may pick it up at some point down the line. How’s the story?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Thanks for the input. I stopped playing FF games after X (tried X-2 twice and just couldn’t get into it), but decided to give XV a try and it’s more fun than I was expecting. The open world is kind of lame (albeit pretty in some places) compared to Witcher 3 and Horizon, but the scale of some of the beasts you come across is great.

Right now I am grinding through side quests like a dope because I want to cash a ton in at once and see how overleveled I can get. My dudes have not slept in at least four days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

According to google, it doesn’t look like I have enough money to stay at fancy Venice hotel. That’s actually the only part of the map not blocked by barricades (Chapter 3, next story quest is to visit a waterfall) that I haven’t visited. I cashed in a little over 50k exp at the 2x multiplier hotel and went from 27 to 38. The way these games go, I will probably get 50k experience much more quickly down the line, and might better use my money then. I don’t do too many of the hunts, but it looks like they’re good for money.

Just got a trophy a few quests ago for completing 40 side quests. At some level it kind of makes sense for a king to go around and help his people, but to be honest I don’t even know if the place I am excited poring is supposed to be my kingdom or not. It’s also funny to get the news that your castle was attacked and your family is dead and then you just go around picking peppers and onions. No one seems to care.

Edit: I have no idea how to use coins for experience+ magic or how to cook without camping and cashing in exp at a 1.0 rate. I will look into this stuff for later on, but for now I think I will do some story missions.

the truth fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 25, 2017