Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Video games are so loving good. Let's play more resident evil dogges!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I just remember on rtings someone said the viewing angle as worse and people are scared of the different bezel :shrug:

Better or worse I doubt we'd notice

From the graphs the viewing angle is the only thing the 60 inch is worse at than all the others. It's actually better than some of the others in certain areas.

Thb I have the 60 inch. I didn't have enough in my budget to go up to 65 and I wanted to upgrade to the biggest TV I could afford because I want to keep this one for a while. The 60 inch is great and I like the mostly black bezel. It's very low key.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Serious question, does playing on easy in ffxv invalid any trophies? Thinking about doing it so I don't have to spend too much time retry information fights buy I'll deal with it on normal because I like seeing trophies as an indicator of progress.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Arist posted:

There's a trophy for beating the final boss on normal. That's it.

Can you literally just change it back to normal for that fight? Like if so, that means there's nothing stopping you from doing a ton of content in easy mode and post game content and get over leveled and kill the final boss in normal mode?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Someone post that kingdom hearts Google Doc.

Basically its all hearts all the way down.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Even the new tomb Raider wasn't that bad, it just had a disappointing release on Xbone then got a new all dlc edition on ps4 and a lot of the dlc is pretty good.

Deus ex I can see being hollow and disappointing because the way the flow of the game is, it really is like an act 1 of an overall story/trilogy. If they can get together and put out act 2 and 3, it might feel better but it doesn't have good enough story beats. The gameplay is excellent though. If you wanted more of human revolution, you got it.

Hitman is a clear winner for sure. Haven't played it myself but the reviews are highly favorable. I will probably buy this on the next sale for 20 bucks.

Square is doing fantastic. I just hope they can keep it up with Hitman season 2 and the next deus ex game or two.

Edios please just keep your game engine and get to work on the next deus ex game and maybe actually finish the story you started in this generation.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yeah I don't understand why people complain about the story in tomb Raider. It's not that much better or worse than the first one. It's just an excuse to have you Explorer a place and get into combat and stealth situations. Mechanically they're both pretty good games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

For anyone interested in a ps4 pro and a 4k set up, make sure you get a true hdr set. That makes a huge difference over just looking a little cleaner.

I played deus ex before and after, and it has more realistic colors.

The last guardian has amazing lighting in hdr.

The original ps4 can do hdr but I believe every set that can do hdr is 4k as well anyway.

But not every 4k set can do good hdr. LG oled can, the Samsung KS8000 and maybe the Sony 850.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Pingiivi posted:

It's weird how coy TV manufacturers are in telling what the actual gently caress are their exact HDR specs. It should be HDR10 with minimum peak luminance of at least 500 nits for OLED and 1000 nits for LCD.

Thanks, I forgot what peak you needed. So yes you want 500 for oleds, and 1000 for lcd/led. Then it should also be 10bit hdr. There are actually some 8 bit out there don't waste money on this.

Some tvs don't even have all hdmi 2.0 ports, some might even have hdmi 2 with some hdmi 1. Basically to get the real hdr that people love so much you want 10 bit, hdmi 2.0 and the peak nits.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The trick is don't care about your backlog and only buy games once they reach 50% off or more.

Unless it's a game with multiplayer and/or you're gonna jump into it right now.

I still have the Witcher 3 and mgsv on my backlog but I paid less than half price for them. And I bought re7 but I'm very supportive of that series and I already played it for a hour yesterday in VR. And it'll be a decent game I can put half a hour in every night for a while and I'll eventually finish it. Then I got gravity rush 2 digital code discounted from a goon and that'll be my daily play.

In summary who the gently caress cares, play whatever you feel like and have fun. K know there's several of us that bought more than 5 games thanks to holiday sales and we're still playing Bf1 and tf2 the most.

Honestly I think of it as getting more choices not creating a bigger backlog.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 25, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bf4, I found plenty of people playing the dlc maps. The trick is you need to find several custom servers that do a full map rotation, including dlc. Add them to your favorites.

Now the new dlc map modes.... Yeah it was almost impossible to find games for it after a month.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

If I preorder Nioh on PS Store, will it preload?

All games that actually have a preorder on psn allow pre load. The pre load doesn't go live until the Sunday before it comes out. So it won't start until this Sunday.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

homeless snail posted:

There is also apparently at least one game that crashes when you turn boost mode on, Soma I think.

Yeah hopefully that's a rare exception, and maybe that'll encourage them to do a proper PS4 patch?

I wonder if anyone has tried the new Amnesia collection. I bet it suffers from the same issue.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Hopefully they are anyways. Space on PSN for saves is very limited and save files are huge.

It used to be like 1 gigabyte online storage. Now it's ten. Shouldn't be a problem anymore.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Renoistic posted:

It's one GB per system. My FFXV saves were enough to fill more than half of my allotted space.

No its not. That's what it was a few system software updates ago. Ps3 and Vita are still this way

3.00 added it up to ten gigabytes. For ps+ I think and ps4 only.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Does Boost Mode make Deus Ex: Mankind Divided playable?

It has a specific ps4 pro patch. So don't expect boost mode to do anything.

It is much better with the pro patch though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That list of ps4 pro boost games is very encouraging.

A tldr is that it helps reduce frame tearing and keeps most games to a solid 30fps (and simpler games like rocket league a solid 60fps)

The only major issue is Soma crashes. And I've already beaten that game and you can still turn off boost mode for it. But it would be nice if it got a pro update or something so none of us ever have to turn off beast mode.

And most games going forward (aside from indies) should have natice support for the ps4 pro. This is gonna be how games should be played now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Healbot posted:

More like developers should have been tasked with making it work like that on the normal PS4 and not leave it up to Sony patching it into a mid generation refresh.

That's the real problem. Developers always overextended themselves to make pretty screenshots .

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think games running slightly worse like the would have if the Pro had never existed is hardly throwing the user base under the bus.

The real fact is they're gonna run worse anyway. At least we can make up for some of the other games now with a cheap upgrade.

If the Pro never existed, bloodborne would still run with stuttering, the last guardian would have frame pacing problems and you wouldn't be able to play Nioh in 60fps.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, you can straight up select people from your friend's list to co-op with.

Wrong; Yes and Yes.

You can search for friends using either mode. You can play with just friends as phantoms or as whole campaign.

Also somebody has to unfortunately beat the level before you can co-op it. :( Hopefully team ninja changes that, although it does keep your run more pure in souls terms and gives you co-op stuff after.

You can co-op twilight missions right away though which is interesting. They definitely seem more designed for co-op.

E: To clarify, you can summon without having beaten the level but to be summoned you have to have beaten it.

What about the coop in yokai realm? The one that's truly full coop with shared life bar. It seems weird if you can't do that from the start.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:mrwhite:

The game blows once you get to the demon world anyway

Isn't that only a few hours after the instant kill Hut protection boss? I think I got there and just about quit. The game is inconsistently unfair with enemies in that zone. It quickly became not fun to play.

I'm guessing it never got better from there.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Having spent the same amount of time in nioh and Lords of the fallen, nioh is like ten times better.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm liking the For Honor "beta" (the weekend before it releases, lol) enough to buy it this time, which is weird because I didn't like it much at all in the closed beta. A few tweaks do wonders.

You'd think it would appeal to the soulsborne crowd, but nary a whisper here.

It's probably getting slightly overlooked because the true game that appeals to the soulsborne crowd is NIOH.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

True. I always get a much bigger rush from beating actual people rather than AI so I'll take For Honor any day.

Nioh is an actual full release out several days ago, and will introduce PVP at a later date.

For Honor might be pretty fun, but I'd wager a lot of people might wait for reviews and for it to drop to like $30 or something.

Time will tell if it has the ability to sustain a good playerbase and balanced multiplayer experience.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm thinking of replacing my base PS4 with a Pro, but how much better does it look if I don't have a 4k TV? Still worth it?

(It helps that I have a white PS4 from the Destiny bundle so I can apparently sell it for significantly more than a normal one)

It's worth it for boost mode.

And games can still supersample, making 1080p look nice.

Sell your white ps4 and buy a skin to dress up your pro in white. If you get a good enough deal on a new ps4 pro (like the eBay bundle and sell the games) you can probably pull it off for less than 100 bucks.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Morby posted:

Yes it is worth it. I currently play my Pro on a 19" 1080p screen and am noticing a difference. Things load faster, less pop-in, games are more stable it matters. I'm getting the Samsung KS8000 tomorrow, and I expect even more differences.

That KS8000 will be silky smooth. You'll never forgive yourself for going so long without a really nice set like that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I don't really have the same patience for Nioh bosses that I do with souls for some reason I can't pinpoint. I kind of just want get on with the game.

Honestly here's a tip. Most of her problems come from the paralysis.

If you equip stuff that boosts paralysis resistance you actually cut down on the time you're paralyzed. That makes a huge difference

A lot of bosses have not so obvious weaknesses or strategies. Nioh plays by slightly different rules than dark souls.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I though hl lost coast was about bloom and other lightning. Did it have actual hdr?

Real hdr is about more realistic colors and better blacks which improve lighting like it does in the last guardian.

Lost coast just had bloom and lighting that got dimmer or brighter when you walked inside from outside or vice versa.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

haveblue posted:

The engine did render HDR internally, it was a tech demo of both that and techniques for getting the most out of an HDR pipeline on an SDR display (so bloom and postprocessing aperture tricks).

That makes sense. So we always were going towards that hdr future, just that maybe it took longer for displays to be consumer level affordable?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I do miss the whole concept of interconnected world. You lose that little something when you choose all your missions from menus.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Snak posted:

At the same time, loading times are tiny compared to Bloodborne.

Also, being able to replay bosses is a big plus for me.

Both true, load times are probably due to the developer at least. You could use bonfire asectics in dark souls 2 to basically replay bosses.

I haven't tried replaying a mission. Once you complete it, do you lose all your shortcuts?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Snak posted:

...why would I want to replay bosses in Dark Souls 2?

Yeah, the entire mission is reset.

Yeah that's fair, bosses can be more miss than hit in that one.

Sucks about the entire mission reset. That happens if you leave too right? That seems to be the downside of the mission structure compared to having an open world.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy that nioh is doing its own thing. But the stuff it does differently shows you the upsides or downsides of that compared to dark souls. Even nioh has its own flaws, like how you get so much more junk than dark souls but at the same time random stats means better weapon flexibility and builds.

Still would buy nioh 2 on day one.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I thought tests prove it helped in the areas where there's lots of frame drops. The games already run close to 30fpsin most areas so the boost wouldn't do much.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You get 175 at gamestop. 200 is only lucky with local sales and if you sell on eBay, the fees and shipping can eat into that, making it more like 175.

Give It to gamestop. Even if you buy a pro somewhere else for a better deal you can use the credit on games or psn gift cards.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Ya'll need to get Sony credit cards. I use mine to pay all my bills and my maintenance bill and I seriously rack up over 18000 points a year when I include purchases like random meals, petrol, groceries, etc. That's 3 brand new games for free a year.

Well it's ten times bonus points on psn purchases, so that's where it's really killer. Only one percent on other purchases, almost any other credit card has better rewards. Effectively 10% back on psn purchases.

There's an Amex with 6% on groceries and 3% on gas. If I used my rewards from that one alone, that's ten video games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

PSN is doing open multiplayer Feb. 22-26 without Plus.

Also saw some blog say there will be another spend $100 get $15 running 21-28 but don't know if that's reliable.

The spend 100was mentioned on the official playstation blog.

Spend away next week.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

People say this but games like fallout was gonna be poo poo anyway. There was no consideration for any kind of pro edition when the game came out.

And tomb Raider runs nice on a normal PS4 as well.

The pro is just picking up the slack but even if the Pro and Scorpio never existed, devs will continue to perform less than optimal.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Have you guys thought about how strong this year has been for video games?

Resident Evil 7
came out and proved itself to be a very strong shift in the right direction for RE/Survival Horror.

Gravity Rush 2 was at leats decent and managed to conclude the story of Kat.

Yakuza 0 was amazing (haven't gotten to it yet, but I've played the first 4 games)

Nioh has proven that From Software isn't the only one good at making souls-like games.

Nier isn't out yet, but we already have impressions from the demo, and it will be kick rear end.

Persona 5
: enough said.

HD remaster of FFXII (with international job system): Great for rpg lovers.

Dark Souls 3 will get its final DLC next month. We can only hope it's better than AoA

I'm sure we're waiting for more impressions on Horizon, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Ghost Recon, Prey, but they all have the chance to be really decent or great.

South Park: Fractured Butthole probably won't disappoint, so if you liked the first, chances are it's more of the same.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is supposedly a 2017 release.

For multiplayer stuff, Siege continues another year, For Honor might satisfy, and Battlefield will likely keep entertained with DLC maps this year. Battlefront 2 has a lot to overcome, but if they learned what went wrong with the first game... Titanfall is limping right now, but hopefully they do strong map releases after the crummy 'livefire' patch.

But really, we have a very strong Q1-Q2. Q3 kind of looks pretty empty, but there could be some surprise release/announcements with E3.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 20, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The DS3 DLC is March not Feb

For some reason I said tomorrow not next month. Corrected. Still makes for a strong first half of the year, along with everything else.

verbal enema posted:

"South Park: Fractured Butthole"

Great title

The real title is South Park: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE

so let's just skip it ad call it the real title they were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This has been a genuinely excellent year for gaming so far. There are very few games I've played I was disappointed in and I know for a fact several upcoming games are good because I've played them. (Looking at you, Persona.)

The only problem is, it's very hard to afford everything. You have to pick your battles, buy some games, complete them, and buy some more.

Even last year's Q4 was pretty good, Battlefield showed that WWI is good enough to entice the hearts of millions of people to call each other fags and snipe and NOT CAPTURE THE loving OBJECTIVE online.

Titanfall 2 was fantastic and way better than most people expected.

We even finally got Final Fantasy 15AND The Last Guardian, and while not world changing as years and years of work would make you think, they were at least pretty good, and very good if you were into final fantasy already or team ico's game before.