Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

I just felt like BS1's story was mostly world-building disguises as story, and you had no character to relate to. The narrative puts you in the position of a blank slate character mindlessly following objectives. Then the ending tries to act like this was all a clever commentary. But actually it was just boring.

BS2's story felt a lot smaller in scope. Unlike BS1, as the story progresses, you uncover poo poo about your past and the characters are fleshed out through the narrative.

I still barely remember it, though. I didn't really care for the mechanics of either game, and the franchise is definitely a victim of my bias against "magic". Plasmids that gave people magical powers aren't uninteresting at all to me and felt totally out of place in what is otherwise a interesting setting. I don't mean that there should be no crazy poo poo, I just mean "people can shoot fireballs and lightning" seems completely at odds with a world where most people shoot each other and beat each other with wrenches.

I probably would have hated those games without Plasmids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

Edit:

So it's more like an easter egg?

The Reaper is always presented as something you're supposed to avoid (because for the vast majority of the game it will slaughter you)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

exquisite tea posted:

TBQH if you're not having fun with a game 10+ hours in you're under no obligation to keep soldiering on despite prevailing goon opinion. That's just you being cognizant of what you do and don't enjoy. Goonspeed.

While I generally agree, and probably would have told that specific goon to stop playing, Nier's an odd case. It legitimately is one of those games that gets much, much better as you get deeper into the game. The problem is it takes way too long to get there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This is a response to a post from several pages ago, but the thing I like most about Armored Core 4/A is the fast robots. Most slow robot games are lame.

E: I also haven't played much of the earlier AC games, but I did enjoy what I played.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

J-Spot posted:

Do I need to be tackling side quests in Nier:A as they become available? With all the talk I'm seeing about multiple endings I'm worried they must be somewhat time sensitive but I'm kind of getting burned out on ping-ponging between the same areas over and over with no fast travel option to reduce the tedium. Every time I get sent to the desert I die a little inside. I'd like to break it up by doing the main quest but I don't want to be locked out of content.

You should play through the story until you get fast travel, then start doing sidequests. Sidequests can be time sensitive, kinda, but nothing is missable. There is one missable thing in the entire game and it's likely to be the absolute last thing you do.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really want a new Armored Core that forgets that ACV/erdict Day ever happened. The multiplayer focus was so unappealing I didn't even try them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RBA Starblade posted:

I had ACV thinking "next gen Chromehounds gently caress yes".

If you didn't wait literal hours for the other team to hop on to defend their base you got to shoot nothing but turrets. It sucked a whole lot! The regular pvp was ok but after 4 and 4A it was a letdown. I didn't bother with Verdict Day

That's exactly the thing I was afraid of when I read about the multiplayer focus, yeah

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Guillermus posted:

So I played a bit of Ys: Oath a few years ago on steam and liked it, so I bit the bullet and got Ys: Origins on PSN and I have to say that it's a fun game. Feels like a bullet hell hack&slash and quite enjoy the art and design.

Ys Origin is a great game, especially when you play the third character. Who are you playing as?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Guillermus posted:

I only had two characters to choose so between the mage and axe wielding girl, I picked melee. When do I unlock the third char?

You unlock third by beating the game with one of the other two characters. Each character is a different variant of the story. I would generally suggest playing Mage Boy's story on easy, he's not as fun as the other two, but his story is good. E: But don't do it until you finish Yunica's story.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

I have a friend that spent over 30 hours in the first area and only got past it because I beat Cleric beast and gascoine for him. Hes now playing DS3 and has been stuck on Vordt for a month.

I really wish he would put a stream up its probably funny to watch.

I actually got stuck on the Cleric Beast for hours, then proceeded to beat almost every other boss in the game in the first few tries. I'm not sure if it was an adaptation to the systems or what, but Cleric Beast just destroyed me on my first playthrough.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lobok posted:

Not talking about rapid firing a bunch of arrows, just how long it takes to pull back for one. In a competition if they're taking a while that's probably for aim, not power. I've never seen an event where they compete on distance or puncture depth. Even with firearms competitors can take time to aim.

I'm pretty sure that if - for whatever reason - they were competing on distance or puncture depth rather than simple accuracy, they would just use a higher poundage bow, which would still be a relatively quick draw.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

That series could barely justify its third game, how on earth are they going to shoehorn in a fourth?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

Nex machina
Sonic mania
Check the sale this week

Could you elaborate on how Matterfall is similar to Mega Man please?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

glam rock hamhock posted:

Really, who the gently caress is gonna pay $20 to unlock Elektra?

Someone that really likes the Netflix Marvel shows, I'd imagine.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

OxMan posted:

from the EA streams I've seen that is basically it. The meat of the game comes from learning moves and customizing your combo strings. It's For Honor with CAC. There are all sorts of properties that every move in a combo can have so the game is gonna be fun the first couple of weeks before the fgc meta starts to take place and everyone starts making "the best guy"

According to the GOG store page it apparently has a single-player campaign, so it might still be fun down the line depending on how that works out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I like turn based combat when it's interesting. :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
There was a blog post with a network engineer or something running tests to explain why PSN downloads. It was pretty in-depth, which is great, but the main takeaway is that programs throttle how much data the PS4 will accept. Rest mode helps in some cases, but if you actually want to fix the download speeds, just close everything. Things run in the background and you need to seek them out, but close them.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
That is a really exciting amount of mech games. 2018 is going to be great

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Instant Grat posted:

At least using the stasis field doesn't suck massively anymore, that's a tangible improvement.

Stasis Field is far and away the best attack in GR2. They almost overcorrected with that one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

No, a twin-stick shooter is again using the player's skill at aiming. Arkham was just an example of the type of fluidity in targeting. I'm thinking like, real-time VATS. No overlay, just a "shoot at that guy" button, and an aim modifier to "shoot that guy in the head". I think a system like this would give you the ability to have encounters play out much more cinematically and be more about the order in which you shoot people as opposed to how you do it.

I'm talking about a new genre, that tries to capture the feel of brawler or melee action game, but with the presentation of a gunfight. If you didn't have to spend time and effort aiming, you could be focusing on more action-movie type choices, like, shoot, shoot, environmental attack, thrown object, reload, shoot. I think it would be really cool to see some games that tried something like that.

edit: ^ I agree. I think it's a natural result of "aiming and shooting" being considered a core gameplay element, and so it's expected to get used.

Just out of curiosity, have you played as Lady in DMC4 SE? It kinda sounds like that's exactly what you're looking for.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

They all do and its always no bueno

I strongly disagree with this

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Real hurthling! posted:

I made up my own for her and its probably way cooler cause she swears in it

I'm sorry.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kirios posted:

I thought the payoff was pretty good, actually.

The minute by minute gameplay is unmatched by any open world or stealth game. The amount of sheer options you have at your disposal, for me, made the game entertaining from start to end.

Yeah, the systems are incredible. It's a shame the world design and mission design is repetitive and lame, and that the game only has a few boss fights, most of which aren't particularly interesting. It's a game with great systems and the lamest possible game design.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shadow225 posted:

Do I need to play through 4 or 5 for that? Also, wasn't it heavy multiplayer focused?

Armored Core 5 and Verdict Day are the multiplayer ones. You don't need to play 4 to understand For Answer, but it's a fun game too.

Keep in mind that Ni no Kuni is a very bad game. It's gorgeous and charming, but the gameplay has some really major issues.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bust Rodd posted:

Is anyone in the PS4 thread a bad enough dude to submit a game they think has good writing?

Not Good for Video games but good?

It falls apart near the end of episode 4, but Life is Strange. The start of episode 4 in particular is extremely strong, though it might lose some of its impact for people who strongly dislike Chloe.

I've also liked the writing of pretty much every Falcom game that I've played, particularly the Trails games.

E: Both Nier and Nier Automata are also striking for having exceptional writing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pablo Gigante posted:

DS2 is really the only one where Mace is the best weapon because so many enemies and bosses took more damage from blunt weapons, there’s plenty of viable weapons in 1 and 3

That isn't even actually true though, at least not anymore. The mace is incredibly good, but the actual best weapons in the game are either the rapier or the red iron twinblade. DS2 has remarkably good weapon balance.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Guillermus posted:

When it worked. Soul memory was an awful system for people like me that liked to "farm" upgrade materials and the name-engraved ring was a half-assed fix. Out of all three dark souls+BB, is the one I could co-op the least by a long shot.

This is crazy, DS2 has the most functional online systems out of any of the Soulsborne games, even including DeS (which is much more functional than BB and DS1/3)

Soul memory ranges are enormous, especially with the name engraved ring (which is a big reason co-oping with friends is easier than DeS, where you had to hide your summon sign to avoid getting summoned by a random player.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Brother Entropy posted:

that says more about soulsbourne games in general than ds2

Undeniably, yes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bust Rodd posted:

HZD Question: I'm lvl 11, Very Hard and the game is now telling me to clear out two lvl 15 'tainted zones'. I know "push to Meridian then go questing" was accepted goon knowledge but am I supposed to grind sidequests here or can I just got clear the zones? I don't want to get trapped in a "Checkpoint before a boss I am hopelessly underleveled for" situation

This is just my opinion, but you should just do whatever you want once you get the Carja bows. Meridian is where things open up, but it's not as much of a line in the sand as people make it out to be.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TaurusOxford posted:

They made up for that by putting the Hackmon evolution line in the game.

Hackmon not having his full evo line in Cyber Sleuth was a huge bummer, and I didn't even know anything about Hackmon at the time.

There not being an FeMC in the new one is also a huge bummer, but not as much as Yasuda's continued employment.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

codenameFANGIO posted:

How do you remaster perfection

Imagine Revengeance, but with the ability to quick swap secondary weapons (i.e., the polearm, the sai, etc.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

and a proper dodge move. And it's not 5 hours long with very little replay value.

MGR has a dodge move (it's called defensive offense, if I remember correctly) and is very replayable.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

It did but I wan't a fan of it. I'd much rather have had a dedicated button. And I would have loved to have seen some challenge mode crap or something. Game just felt super low on content. Then again, I guess Vanquish was pretty low on content too but I was more compelled to play it again.

I mean, it's definitely short, but it's pretty replayable. The higher difficulties actually feel meaningful, it's fun to try to S-rank encounters, and I guess it has those VR missions?

And while it would be better if the dodge was an actual button and not something you had to buy (and search for the move list to use), it does have one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

Monster Hunter World is going to have free hunting mode without a timer, and also the ability to stay out on the hunt after the mission timer ends.

Oh sweet. The timer in the demo bugged the poo poo out of me, and not just because it was short. The hunts having a timer never made sense to me, and that definitely put me off from putting much time into it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

Hunts having timer makes a ton of sense in terms of multiplayer.

I don't agree at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Olive! posted:

Some people are just huge babies whenever there's a time limit of any kind, no matter how lenient it is. :shrug: These people generally also hate Majora's Mask.

I love Majora's Mask, I'm not against things ever having time limits. I just think that Monster Hunter's time limit makes no sense and shouldn't be there. It adds nothing to the game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Can you just not abandon quests in multiplayer sessions or something? A timer seems like a really hacky, inelegant solution to the problem of bad party members wasting your time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TaurusOxford posted:

You can easily quit a MP session whenever you want.

So why does the timer matter? If you recognize that your time is being wasted by someone that doesn't know what they're doing and there's no way to communicate with that player how to hunt more effectively, just drop out.

homeless snail posted:

You can. But also monhun doesn't have life bars, and before this game damage numbers, so for new/bad players it can be not entirely clear how close you are to actually beating the monster. Being able to intuit what state the monster is in and how much longer you'll have to fight it is like the #1 skill in monhun.

We're discussing the issue of other players wasting your time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bombadilillo posted:

Because if the game inherently makes that playstyle impossible you don't have to waste your time on bullshit.

You want a free-market solution to a problem that's already regulated and doesn't hurt anybody.

All I'm saying is all of the arguments presented make timers sound like a totally vestigial mechanic that just frustrates people for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

The hatred of timers is hard wired into their brains, after having to wait for so many of them to end before they can eat their hot pockets.

Like I said, I don't even hate timers. I'm just trying to work out what value they present to the game.