Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah LA Noire is a game that needs to be ripped off for its good ideas, not remade with all the bad ones intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I messed up the Witcher 3 Blood and Wine ending and tried to re-do it (something I'd normally never do, I usually like to choose one path with no advanced knowledge of the consequences) but then messed it up again somehow. It was my fav story of the whole game too. :( rip hot queen lady
It was so well done that I couldn't bring myself to even look up if there was another way for that to go, let alone try.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Played two episodes of Life is Strange and it's weird, I'm on balance positive and want to finish it but I can only think of negative things to say. Mostly how its central mechanic is totally at odds with what I like about "MAKE A DECISION" games so much that they know it and have to disable it at the climactic moment of the second episode, cause otherwise it'd be meaningless. Despite that obvious developer ex machina, I really liked that moment -- they nailed the feeling of "oh poo poo I'm in a SITUATION with someone I don't know as well as I thought I did" but I still managed to get it right without looking it up, knowing I'd looked at the object that gives you the answer but being only like 60% on whether I was remembering it right.. There's also a weird disconnect between what I understand and what the character sees, like they're obviously trying to soften the security guard stepdad but Max's choices interacting with that person are still just various levels of hostile, which is realistic for her but I can tell there's more to it than she sees. And I don't believe for a second she would draw the gun on the drug dealer, much less pull the trigger, and if he takes it off her in the scenario where she doesn't shoot why doesn't he still do that when she pulls and it's empty?

loving sucks that they went with scabs for the voice actors for the sequel.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Everything everyone has said is right and I just wanna add that TOH is probably the best single piece of DLC that has ever existed

Witcher 3 or New Vegas win for total collection of DLCs but that one alone is untouched

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Fair, Blood and Wine is the only other single DLC thing in its class. I personally give it to Old Hunters cause I somehow took down Orphan of Kos on my second try and get to lord that over everyone else who says its the hardest boss in the series for the rest of my life despite otherwise being extremely bad at games.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Grey posted:

I still haven't played MGSV: Ground Zeroes that I got on PS+. Does it still make sense to play that before Phantom Pain, or should I just skip it?
It's good in its own right, and you'll get a little bonus in TPP for accomplishing a certain thing in GZ and then doing some link your save thing in the menus.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finally got around to episode 3 of Life is Strange a few weeks after the first two and I'm hoping that's considered the worst one. The puzzle of getting the guy to take his keys out was really weak, I guessed the climactic reveal like 10 seconds too early for it to be effective and this one was little too obvious about the choices turning into an Ethics 101 trolley problem.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I did win the horseback sword and crossbow race thing in TW3: Blood and Wine but I'm still not sure how

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I remember the pod racing game that came out around the Phantom Menace being pretty fun actually?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Christ just reboot either TIE Fighter or KotOR, is this so hard to understand

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TLoU DLC is a little underrated to me -- the arcade game sequence is one of my favorite moments of "this is something you could never do in another medium".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finished Nier:A -- I think? I got endings A B C D and E but I thought (probably remembering a post here wrong) D and E were like, routes that were short but maybe a few hours? and I got them just going back and making the different choice at the final fight between 9S and A2 and then doing the credits shooter game. Actually got D before C -- I figured this was one of the points you'd come back to for the other routes but the first time how are you not gonna choose your boy Nines?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Meldonox posted:

I went with A2 instead the first time. I was more into winning as the character 2B explicitly entrusted with the future.
Fair enough, I will say I did not 100% understand what was going on at any point in that game and just went with my gut.

Fantastic experience all around. Played it over like four months and for a while enjoyed it but didn't really get why people were calling it their GoTY but I do now. Still HZD for me but if we're talking about games with ambitious to the point of kinda incomprehensible ideas about storytelling, N:A over MGSV.

Started UC4 immediately after finishing Nier and goddamn is this a good looking game. A few moments in the Nathan and Elena at home chapter genuinely could have fooled me for film. Before I was thinking of HZD as the best looking game I've ever played and I'm eager for the DLC next week to get back in and compare.

Does ULL look that good?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is the HZD DLC expected to preload sometime tomorrow? I just hit Check for Update on it cause I haven't booted it since platting it a few months ago and got a 700MB update to 1.4 so that doesn't seem like the expansion.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ok thanks, was remembering I think like Bloodborne where everyone got a big update to the main app for the Old Hunters content whether you bought it or not.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The flooded lake sidequest in Frozen Wilds is real good. Really enjoying this DLC so far.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Playing Frozen Wilds with level 50+ and the power armor and it's still a challenge. The Scorchers are serious beasts and I loved the way the Frostclaw goes from four legs to two for some of its moves. Nice touch that the Control Tower disables that armor's shield, very cool to account for that when it's something not everyone would even have the chance to encounter.

Just echoing stuff other people have said but the DLC clearly shows they were taking notes and learned all the right lessons and just confirms I'm gonna crave the sequel like no game I can ever remember. Dialogue, animations, sidequest design, voice work, little details of the world are all improved from the very solid work in the base game. Just finished the Shaman's Path and haven't even tried the new weapons yet.

I assume (hope?) it'll come before then but if H1N (we're still calling it that right?) was a PS5 launch exclusive that would be about the only thing to get me in day one. Two things that strike me as new features they could implement -- the Focus network seems like an obvious in-world way to bring in an indirect multiplayer concept on the lines of Soulsborne/Nier; the hunting/crafting could be emphasized with a (possibly optional) survival mode requiring regular food, etc. for subsistence.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

they failed to learn the most important lesson, that being: make more robot dinosaurs
Frostclaw struck me as a bear but what is the Scorcher?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Just popping in to say I restarted Nier Automata after stalling out forever ago during 9S's boring part but it has good writing despite being extremely anime.

Also the forest castle is extremely good.
I had a similar experience and believe that it is a very good game that is best enjoyed with long breaks between routes a b and c. The endings are very good but you do not need to rush through them all.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Limited-time free bundle of a bunch of avatars and dynamic themes and such for Uncharted's 10th anniversary.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

skins are rare drops so keep killing them. there are skills to boost the amount and quality of drops iirc
Forgot how annoying it was to kill an animal, see the light blue drop icon indicating a rare component, assume it was the skin you need and instead find a skull or teeth talisman.

DLC owns though. Really enjoyed the limited ammo challenge at the hunting grounds offered by that NPC from one of the other sidequests.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I remember making a conscious decision to stop collecting ridgewood like halfway through the game and now in the DLC I had to start again cause I'm actually finding myself short somehow

But yeah. it's easy to forget that ammo is purchasble from any merchant for just shards and that shouldn't be a problem by the endgame

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah at least HZD crafting is just done anytime anywhere in a menu rather than by traveling to a specific city with a specific blacksmith who meets a specific skill requirement.

Finished the DLC, story at least. Think I'll save the Fireclaws for a while. I'm just not ready to be done with this game for good.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RPG combat
Soulsborne: the gold standard
HZD: genuinely good
W3, N:A: not really good but not hard enough to bother you

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Got that email too. I know 100% I will not keep it but I've never seen a store demo and don't know anyone with any VR device so I've always wanted to just try it for an hour or two. Can't decide if I want to go through the hassle of returning/risk of something going wrong and I'm stuck with a charge or have to argue with support about it. If it was transferable I'd be happy to give the code away but I don't think it is.

Anyone go through the process far enough to tell if they include a prepaid shipping label etc. for a painless return?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

no health bars
Never played one, is that done in a cool immersive way where health is reflected in visible wounds or behavior like limping or something, or is it just totally opaque?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Two-day PSN flash sale (in the US at least). Some newish full-price stuff around $40 but I think I'm finally gonna snag P5 for $30. Had planned to get it physical but missed the Black Friday deals and its PSN page says it's only 20GB which is more reasonable than I was thinking for my lovely internet.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

P5 seems fun and hella stylish from the hour you're allowed to play while the rest downloads. Couldn't tell from the little tutorial dungeon -- is this the kind of RPG where you're rewarded for exploring every nook and cranny of the world (or just the dungeons) with items or secrets or can you more or less just head for the objectives?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Thanks for the P5 answers, it seems like a rad game that makes me glad I bought a Playstation instead of an Xbox several years ago when I made my console decision from scratch not owning one for a few generations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

fruit on the bottom posted:

Persona 5 is a very Japanese game, but a lot of the major themes are not only pretty universal, they’re also pretty timely. I mean the whole set up is about how powerful people are doing lovely things and getting away with it because society lets them.

If you’re at all concerned about the Japanese cultural elements shutting you out? Don’t be.
I'm a month in, coming with a little JRPG experience but nothing like these and no anime and I love it. You're exactly right about how timely this feels, even more so than when it launched probably, and it gets at that in a way that could come off as a dumb fantasy about solving serious problems with magic powers and a talking cat but... it just feels really good? I can imagine by the end that some of the dozens of gameplay mechanics that don't exactly map onto familiar WRPG concepts will feel alternately overcomplicated or underbaked, but I like the characters so much and the story's so engaging I know I'll want to push through to the end. Extremely stylish, great music, the localization seems fine.

Strong recommend to anyone who's a little curious and willing to take a chance. Same kinda thing I'd say about Nier: Automata but stronger -- this is way more polished and fully thought out. I enjoyed N:A a lot but it didn't quite get to challening HZD for my GoTY; this actually might've if I'd gotten it earlier. Caveat is it's so goddamn long so keep that in mind. Worth full price but it was half-off on PSN like a week ago when I got it and probably will be again so maybe wait for a sale and use the time to wrap up something else on your backlog cause you'll be dealing with this for a while.

When you do get it there's a bunch of free DLCs like cosmetics and minor consumable bundles so don't forget to grab those if you want to dress your thieves up for Christmas or whatever.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

2) I've downloaded a bunch of free DLc from the store, it's been recognized by the game and the console says it's installed, but I don't seem to have the items nor costumes - how do I actually get them?
In your bedroom click on the "Storage" box -- the game told me to do this the first time I started after downloading them but you can easily go a few days without the chance to do so and forget.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

gently caress just remake TIE Fighter already. No multiplayer, no get out and walk around, no RPG elements, just exactly TIE Fighter as it was. You'd sell a billion copies.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Reminder to sign up for the PSN newsletter, they often send some people randomly vouchers and stuff this time of year.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Persona 5 question: every time you ambush an enemy you're supposed to make the mask ripping motion with your hand IRL right?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just tried EG the other day cause I had a free Redbox rental and not enough time to finish something like Lost Legacy in a day so I thought of it as a demo. I liked the basic mechanics but is it that grindy the whole way? Played those nine holes like ten times before I got the back half of the course and still driving like 220.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

About halfway through P5 and it's approaching my top 5 all time, how feasible/worth it is it to try to play some of the older ones? Like P4 had a Vita edition right? They still make those?

Think I found my first disappointing moment in the game: at the end of the fourth palace's boss fight, I dealt the last blow, Futaba made her remarks and I got the "FIRE!" prompt. I assumed I was about to rock Wataba's face with the ballista, having sent Morgana to ready a shot a few turns before but not needing it when the boss did the dive move with basically no health left, but instead Joker just fired his pistol. Real anticlimatic.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Feel like I'm gonna be paralyzed by indecision over whether to get the remaster for PS4 or hold off to bolster the library of the Switch I hypothetically intend to get in like a year or two.

Oh yeah Switch will eventually charge for online right? I'm never gonna pay for that so OK, decision made easier.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Adaptabullshit posted:

I've got Horizon and UC: Lost Legacy waiting.
ULL easy, HZD is way longer unless you game like full time

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just played Lost Legacy on a free Redbox rental and I'm pretty sure it was the best of the series. The accelerated pacing for a slightly shorter game was just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Witcher was pretty good with its contract quests making it clear either there's some monstrous beast terrorizing a village and the only choice is to kill it, or other times that wasn't the whole story and you might find another solution.