Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There isn't a lot to say you regret it, it's just a PS4 but slightly better. To regret it you it would need to be more different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair the improvement is rather minimal and you would get that snobbery anyway except using tvs or something.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

How the gently caress is he creepy, he is indifferent but that is the point,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I can see liking UC1 over 4 as that is before the story goes so far up it's rear end that it forgets its supposed to be a game.

It's not even that great a story.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ramagamma posted:

Bloodborne is far and way the "best" game on the ps4 but for as much love and praise as goons heap on it, I don't think it's a game for everyone which is why I'd recommend Uncharted 4 ahead of it.

Uncharted 4 is definitely not for everyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

It's for more people than BB which is why it is the best on the system.

There really isn't much argument that those are the two best exclusives. If one is more accessible then more people would enjoy it hence, the better game.

I disagree? You have to be really invested in the story or really love clunky third person shooters which is definitely not true for everyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

A third person shooter is pretty much the bog standard for a game most people can get to grips with. Like you don't get much more mass appeal than Uncharted.

I disagree, I think 1st person shooters are much easier to get into.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yes but what does that have to do with blood borne which does not play like the Souls games.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

loving how

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The only difference between the uncharted games is the grappling hook so pretending it is equivalent to the massive changes bloodborne made to the formula( for good or bad) is dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Electromax posted:

I like how that guy got piled on for suggesting Bloodborne is similar to the Souls games. People have such thin skin about that series around here.

They said it was the same game which is factually incorrect.

Sorry if pointing out people being wrong gets to you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

It all started because I said Uncharted is the best exclusive on the PS4 because it is more accessible to a general audience. I didn't even say BB was a bad game. I said they were the two best games, but one was better because more people would like it. Souls fans are very strange and protective.

It doesn't matter whether what you said was bad or good it was a lazy way to try and defend uncharted mediocre gameplay.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I know but uncharted fans are weird people. Crazily overprotective.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Could you explain how the boss fights are different between BB and the rest of the souls games?

I know the trash mobs are different in that you want to be aggressive rather than slow and deliberate. But the boss fights? Aren't those pretty much the same?

In terms of the controls. Are the games all pretty much the same? Or is there something different in BB? Same basic control scheme, right? Just a different strategy?

Since you are an expert, please explain to me how these games are all so different.

Not trying to be an rear end (this time) but I genuinely want to know what is so different. If I were to go down a list of checkboxes, I check almost everything the same in each except the one for how to deal with trash mobs. And I guess setting, but the setting still feels the same as the other games.

Different strategy is insanely important to whether a game is different or not.

I actually prefer the slower paced defensive oriented Souls game or the more aggressive in your face bloodborne. 3 is faster paced but a lot of the mechanics in bloodborne are designed to push you towards aggressiveness which 3 doesn't have.

I mean they aren't radically different but they definitely arent the same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Ars Technica says Nioh is probably better than Dark Souls: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/nioh-review-a-rewarding-dark-souls-heir-set-in-16th-century-japan
Forbes aggregate of 4 very high reviews: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/02/06/reviews-call-ps4s-nioh-vicious-brutal-fun/#5ac4ba601197

It's pretty funny to me that people were like "What if you made a game that was as nuanced and in-depth as Dark Souls but you, like, explain how to play it, kinda..." and that's enough for everyone to be like "Oh yeah this is really cool" instead of just getting ruthlessly slaughtered an infinite number of times because you literally have no idea what anything is or means or why you have to do anything.

So dark souls? Because there isn't much you need to explain about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

W3 has good gameplay.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You could have done that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

I was garbage at Ninja Gaiden but I've beaten all the DaSes and Bloodborne, what're my chances here with Nioh? I'm seeing people say they get hundreds of deaths in a single region, and I'm over here knowing Souls games are difficult but I haven't had that many deaths across those four games combined, probably.

Is this just more of a case of people needing to get good or is this game's rep legit, is what I'm asking, I guess.

People are really bad at video game so ignore them. anion isn't easy but it isn't that hard either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

N4Dogges I beg you to change the thread title to Buy A Pro and whatever the name of that 4K TV is.

What's the thing everyone else asks?

Oh yeah the name of that 2Tb drive.

You know in your heart it's the right thing.

Umbasa

Please don't tell goons to be dumb with money, because they will be.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If it stops people asking every four posts then so be it.

It won't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Except that they are and it has a huge player base already.

Having a huge player base initially isn't impressive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's been out for two days, sorry I can't predict the future like all the people who don't like the game.

Then why did you try.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Then your post served no purpose, neat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I was talking about its current success.

You should not be talking about posts that serve no purpose.

I know but it's not nice to ignore other posters.

And if everyone followed that advice no one would ever reply to you and that's sad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also talking about current success on a two day old game is pointless as hell anyway.

You don't need to defend your lovely purchase, just enjoy it while it lasts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Snak posted:

Or you should play Nioh, because it's better than Dark Souls 2 in every way except build diversity.

I don't like Nioh as much but it still fun and worth checking out if you have finished all Souls content.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Why? I know Im going to have a lot of trouble going back to DS combat for the DS3 dlc.

The combat feels a little floaty and Oni aren't that much fun to fight.

Depending on type tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Snak posted:

Nioh has a much deeper combat system, mechanically. Which isn't better or worse, but it's different.

Compared to Nioh, Bloodborne is very clean, mechanically. It has more weapons, but fewer different stats and abilities. It has 1 type of parry. Nioh has like, I don't eve know how many different parry moves. At least 6. The stance system and different combo finishers means that each weapons moveset is like 4 times the moveset of a Bloodborne weapon.

So some people are going to like that more, and some people are going to like it less. But it's just a matter of preference.

Deeper is a stretch. There is more I guess but it really doesn't amount to much and the differences are negligible for most.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Early yeah, eventually you get surrounded and your dodges don't work then they hit you from behind. Maybe Im bad but it becomes tedious breaking out of stunlocks and breaking away from a group to get a few hits in before they surround you. I wish this game had the balls to make fights few and far between, interacting with the world is where the fun is. The fights are filler. Case in point when they give you the ability later to skip all of them besides plot fights.

The fights are kind of a huge part of Yakuza, at least equal to the zany sidequest.

A core part, if you will.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I'm thinking about finally buying the PS4 Pro today, and I'm thinking about picking up Nioh as the first game for the system. I've been playing the first Dark Souls to see if I'd be able to play Nioh, and so far, I feel like I have an okay handle on it. However, I'm wondering if I should buy a game that's easier/more accessible.

Gravity Rush 2 looked pretty interesting, and I saw that the original game was remastered for PS4. Is it easy to jump into Gravity Rush 2, or is better to start with the first game?

The only other game I'm looking at right now is Dragon Quest Builders, which so far looks like Dragon Quest mixed with Minecraft. I've played Minecraft (although it's been a few years now since I last played it), but I've never played a Dragon Quest game before.

Nioh is a fine choice but I would recommend bloodborne over it. Depends on what you are looking for really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah after their recent track record I'd say it's wait for review age. Platinum age was 5 years ago.

please be good, please be good...

You mean their recent track record of good games and decent license trash.

The horror.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah It's looking like it's going to be good. I'm not that concerned but I have a few reservations so I'm definetly going to wait and watch some reviews/gameplay.

Uh. Bayonetta 2 was the only well received game they have made this gen. Transformers was garbage and the rest of the licensed stuff looks even worse. I guess a game being licensed doesn't count in the goon mind for some reason though.

They made two games and both were well recieved.

Even their licensed games were okay and far from garbage

Though only an idiot counts licensed games anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah why would you count a game made by a company as a game they made? How idiotic. They made Bayonetta and WOW 101 and as was said earlier the latter was pretty divisive.

Yeah counting them is dumb as they are the very defintion a paycheck.

They aren't designed to be good.

I have never heard anything negative about 101 so Lol.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

This is incredibly stupid but whatever.

Have fun thinking that willfully making bad games is a good/irrelevant quality in a company guess.

Imo unless the (admittedly cool) gimmick is a game changer for you, there will be no better time to buy a Wii U than in the upcoming months. Theres years worth of games to play. Which is like a dozen games in Nintendo years but there are still quite a few and there should be a surplus of cheap Wii U's.

How is is stupid to use context when making a decision. You get how making blanket statements with no understanding why things happen is bad right

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

The fact that you think it's completely irrelevant that a company made a batch of bad games because of some perceived context that you have no actual way of backing up is stupid, yes. And the idea that they willfully make worse games when someone pays them to make them doesn't sound particularly awesome.

If you feel that way fine it's dumb but you be you I guess.

Maybe one day you will find that fabled good cash in game.

Though either way they weren't bad games. They were as good as you will get.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guys, guys, the small licensed games Platinum turned out to earn a quick paycheck while they were also working on a bigass passion project rpg didn't get their full attention and polish. Clearly the whole studio's gone to poo poo! :pseudo:

Actually that makes them bad people, not the companies that commissioned them, just platinum.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wonder which category their Granblue games are gonna fit into.

What's granblue

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I looked it up, oh dear.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Vanquished isn't even very good really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I've grown pretty fond of Nioh but it just doesn't even come close to any of the Souls games for me.

I agree especially with how lazy Nioh is with level design.

No starting a mission at a slightly different point in a level does not count as a new level.