Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

LODGE NORTH posted:

Maybe I'm just daft, but what is the selling point of the Pro?
Better performance/visuals? It's not complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Buy a pro if you enjoy those youtube videos of people staring at random brick textures for ten minutes or clocking and extra 4 FPS more than actually playing games.
Or if you want to capture games at 1080p using the built in stuff.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Grouchio posted:

So how good is Dragon Age Inquisition compared to Witcher 3, which I have on my laptop?
Imagine a really good game. Then imagine a similar but kind of bad game.

And there we are.

As a serious answer I know virtually everybody will tell you DAI is total garbo but somehow I stuck with it longer than TW3, which I dropped no less than three times by the time I reached the second map. The combat in Witcher 3 always felt totally terrible to me, and I think it's because Souls games are my faves and it can't compare - but it doesn't really try to. But, I can't get past the way it almost feels like the same sort of thing. DAI, however, plays completely differently while having a vaguely similar structure, so I could stick it out longer and kind of wish I'd finished it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Bought FFXV during that surprisingly good Christmas sale but before I start I heard from someone that I should wait for a couple of content patches. Is there a solid link with ALL the info? All I can find is a Christmas event.
There's no timeline, nobody knows how long you'd be waiting.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

My only problem with his voice is that he sounds too much like Ben from Full Throttle.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fix posted:

But that game is over 20 years old, so maybe it's ok.
It's not really a problem, they're not the same VA because I'm pretty sure the guy that did Ben has been dead for a while. It's just hard for me to not notice it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Housh posted:

I backed my entire drive before hand on a USB external. Gotta save PT for future generations.
Uh, does that even work? Don't you need to have the two machines there at the time to transfer from one to the other?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That's much better than I'd expect. Good job, Sony.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Seedge posted:

How, precisely, do you expect them to sell something without putting it on display?
1) Encase them in a security tagged box, or
2) Put display boxes on the shelf and keep the actual boxes sealed in a drawer in the front of the store, or stored in the back

That's how Game do it, it's apparently not hard.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's really dumb that the way Trico doesn't always listen to you was something that the game got dinged for so much. Like, the narrative that people weave would have you believe it was some sort of bug, but it's clearly by design. I honestly don't think the game would have the same amount of impact if you could just command him with a button press. I can see how some wouldn't like it because it's really not a game for people with little patience, but it's really unfair that it's pegged as some sort of flaw.
You're mischaracterising the grievance because you like the game so much. People don't think it's a bug, they just think it's annoying. And you go on to say it would be just as effective if it wasn't in the game!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I said I don't think it would have the same impact.
Sorry! Misread.

In any case, people don't like it on a design level. Different experiences resonate with different people, you don't have to make out like they're factually incorrect because they don't like something you do.

Weirdly I feel like we've been here before...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

How many enemy encounters did you see? Were they all against bullet sponge monsters while trapped in arenas like the demo or was there variety?
There was a bullet sponge monster arena in the RE7 demo??

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

You've heard a load of poo poo. You can assign the face buttons to the second stick.
But it controls like poo poo because it's digital movement applied to an analogue stick. Like Portable Ops you can have analogue movement or aiming, but not both.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

KrayG posted:

I play through them all about every 2 years and they are still the best 3d platformers from that era, and indeed probably ever
I don't know this sounds like a wrong opinion...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

Haven't seen this yet. Is it going to be more like dirt rally or dirt 3? Because dirt rally is amazing, dirt 3 is a stinker
Dirt Rally wasn't out that long ago, there's no way Dirt 4 isn't built on top of Rally in a big way, Codemasters just aren't big enough to have had both on the go at the same time as separate games.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Much more confusing is jumping back and forth between Nioh and Dark Souls 3, since everything is the opposite of souls controls. O to pick up items, X to dodge, square and triangle to attack instead of shoulders... yeh.
There's a control scheme that makes Nioh pretty close to Dark Souls. Or there was in the beta, anyway.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but the game's design is significantly different enough that I found the default was more comfortable. That'd help with the X and O stuff though I guess yeah.
Yeah that was the key bit for me.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

The real answer is testing. It costs a lot more to test all the possible button configs, and you have to. If its hard-bound or there's only 2 'schemes', you just test that both of those work. Otherwise you gotta test the whole system, every button combination possible pretty much.
Testing is only part of the reason, the rest is implementation time and the total cost in the face of few people ever rebinding controls or changing control schemes. Most people don't give a poo poo, so why spend the money?

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the opinion on the ps2 on ps4 series? Do these games look any better or should I just find the old discs and run an emulator on the pc?
They do look better but you can get pretty much the same effect using an emulator.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 28, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

all isn't really true; aaa games stopped doing that ages ago and have price parity on all platforms. it's still a lot easier to get them on sale tho, even pre release, so you tend to pay less either way
Or use key sites, if that's how you choose to live your life.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sioux posted:

Checking in here to get some opinions on Destiny, since I have a giftcard from a Dutch store that now has a sale on Destiny: The Collection. I played vanilla and the first free DLC a LOT. Since it's on sale I can see getting my money's worth out of it since I like playing alone as well as strikes with pubbies and doing the old LFG pubby raid if possible. The new content (for me) should be nice to play through as well as getting some PvP on which used to be fun. However, all the LOVE/HATE in the past two pages in this thread makes me hesitate/even more exited. What's up SA, Destiny: The Collection yay or nay?
Free DLC? Hah! You must be thinking of something else, there was no free DLC until way past vanilla.

Anyway, I'd say definitely yay. I played it solidly for the first year, a good chunk f the second, and did everything in the third and I'd say the way you've described yourself with Destiny that there's a lot to love there.

Don't know if you're aware but yesterday they put out a big update that now brings all four raids up to endgame level so there's now a poo poo ton of gear to get and stuff to do.

You'll get your money's worth.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Did that update actually change anything about the raids or is it just kind of like a victory lap kind of thing to do for gear? I've done vog so many times, I could probably sleepwalk through it.
Higher light level and boss challenges for extra/special gear.

There's also a record book bubble for killing all the Gorgons at the new 390 light level. What the poo poo.

Edit: oh they also patched out some exploits like staying on the ledge for Oracles and bypassing the jumping puzzle.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 29, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Lemme give some ps3 owners some pstd.

Quantum conundrum.
THEN I FLIP A SWITCH

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Surprised more people in this thread aren't talking about the new Dark Souls 3 DLC 👀
Invading the second bonfire area is so much filth, it's super active on PS4 at the moment.
Probably because Dark Souls 3 was a little disappointing and the first DLC didn't do much to change that.

I'm a huge Souls fan, I've got the platinum in every game so far (including 3) but I really don't feel much need to get the DLC.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Gigante posted:

What the gently caress...
It was a step backwards from Dark Souls 2 in a lot of ways and has a lot of design issues for me, like enemies feeling like they're in Bloodborne but the player is still in a Dark Souls game. The DS1 nostalgia just rubbed me the wrong way.

DS2 felt fresh, despite its warts. They got so much right with that game.

DS3 dropped almost literally every advancement from DS2 and felt like a weird mix between DS1 and Bloodborne (which also lacked a lot of nice poo poo that was added to DS2.)

Edit: when comparing it to DS2 I'm thinking primarily of Scholar of the First Sin.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 30, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

MechaSeinfeld posted:

did DS3 bring the rat covenant back? Best part of 2 imo.
"Did they bring back <interesting thing> from DS2?"

The answer is invariably: no.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm curious what these interesting things were. The turntable enemies? Inconsistent iframes? Enemies dying permanently for some reason? A billion humanoid bosses with grab attacks?
Interesting covenants like the one that pulls other players into YOUR trap-filled funhouse, or the covenant that sends you through a portal to carry out bespoke missions before facing a cool optional boss, non-hostile enemies that could be triggered by some criteria (Heide Knights, dragon shrine guardians, dark guys who don't want you to use torches), bombs + resistance boosters + damage boosters + resins + bolts + arrows for ALL elements (including magic) so whatever your gear/class you can work an enemies weakness, bonfire ascetics, NG+ differences, power stancing, handedness not mattering, the cool menu view by default where you can see your guy to the right of the menus (so they don't obscure everything), a way to use multiple items REALLY EASILY (use selected? What the gently caress?), MP arenas (okay, they added that in as paid DLC in DS3...), something like lockstones/branches that let you use a "finite" resource to prioritise where you explore, colourful hub area characters that are dynamic like the merchant that changes the more you buy from him going from stuttery poor dude to smug rich dick, surprise optional early boss encounters (The Pursuer, Freja), recurring enemies that hunt you throughout the game (The Pursuer, that guy that you can free from imprisonment that will invade you the rest of the game and gently caress you up), a boss that summons players as little helpers (and they blast out of a loving mirror shield and it rules.)

Edit: the spices that let you get the fake for spells/miracles so you can use them, even if they're weaker because you lack the real stats.

All dropped for DS3. So many cool or player-friendly/convenient things.

Samurai Sanders posted:

This reminds me, when DS2 came out there was talk that the torches were going to have much more gameplay meaning than they ended up having, but I never knew what. Was that ever a real thing?
Scholar of the First Sin added in a thing where if you found and lit all the torches in an area you'd be invaded by NPC red phantoms that were basically from an evil covenant and they were pretty fun fights. I can't remember what reward you got for that, though.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 30, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Good rebuttal.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mr E posted:

Hello, I like all the Souls games but really hated 85% of SotFS's changes and it kinda ruined DS2 for me somewhat. Well, see ya.
What. Why do you hate lore-appropriate enemy placement? :mad:

Scorps posted:

They all have their own appreciable quirks and major "strengths" IMO, I don't understand what the point of comparing them so directly is.
Because things like how you couldn't use multiple of an item at once in 1 so in 2 they built an interface that's intuitive and easy to do, but in 3 they built it off the code base of 1 and made a new interface which adds an extra step and is stupidly worded ("Use selected" vs "Use")... That sort of stuff isn't down to "appreciable quirks".

A lot of my complaints about 3 are because they literally based it on the code from 1 so a ton of nice features from 2 were lost simply because they didn't exist in the code they were using, and they chose not to re-implement them - or in some cases chose to implement them in an entirely new way.

Snak posted:

I also think that NG+ being different is stupid and not "actually good​ ng+" like lots of people say. The "+" in "NG+" refers to you character, not to changes in the game. There have been a lot of people who say poo poo like "does x game have real ng+ like DS2 or is it just the same game at a higher difficulty?"

The same game at a higher difficulty with your endgame character is real ng+.
But it mostly is just that, certain bosses just get some help and they drop additional boss souls, just enough to add a tiny bit of variety/difficulty without changing it wildly.

Also, final point, the Bluemoon Greatsword loving ruled and now I want that in every From game instead of the boring old Moonlight Greatsword. Boooo.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 30, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

2 was a mix of good and bad features. I never liked being able to teleport everywhere and wish it hadn't made it into 3. Some of the QOL stuff was good though.
That wasn't really a 2 feature, that was first added in the DLC for 1 and Miyazaki said he wished they'd let you teleport to all the bonfires in the game to begin with.

Edit another one I remembered, what 2 DID add was highlights around every bonfire location to show if a lot of players were around that area at your level for multiplayer. Brilliant. Not in Dark Souls 3.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 30, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Trojan Kaiju posted:

1. It was expanded with the dlc update but 1 had teleporting midway through. You had to earn it first, though. That's what people miss with basically every game past 1.

2. That was actually patched into 3 recently.
I was referring to the fact that the DLC let you warp to every single bonfire, which is what Miyazaki wished he'd done for the base game.

Didn't know they'd patched that into 3, that's good!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

NieR: Automata gets good after 15 seconds.

This game rules.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

bloodborne's armor sets were all pretty much on par with each other so there was never a reason not to fashion it up

ds3 is a weird step back from even other souls games in that the heavy armor was just trash that required more stats for no real benefit and idgi
Dark Souls 3 was a step back you say

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I really enjoyed NieR: Automata starting up with "This game does NOT auto save. Play the game to find out how to save" because every other game starts with that "this game auto saves" poo poo.

Although I didn't appreciate accidentally selling my OS chip and losing half an hour's progress, including a boss. Whoops.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

In a game that doesn't have auto save, you didn't save after a boss? LOL

Sorry for laughing. But it's funny. It's a pretty great game.
Well I never die so I don't bother until I'm stopping for the evening or whatever!

You're right, though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I have to work with JSON for work a lot and there is absolutely no way my brain is ever not going to say "JaaaSOOON" every time I think about it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Video Nasty posted:

I think it was because the game was designed around inherent delays with CRT that allowed smooth input for timing the rhythms. With faster hardware the game tends to drop sync between frames and audio so while you might have the rhythm correct, the screen prompts are almost an entire second behind. I don't recall making it past the onion sensei because of the timing differences; and that was just connecting a PS1 to a flatscreen about a decade ago.
Not quite, CRTs just had way lower display lag than LCD screens, and the timing in Parappa was very tight. There was no issue of dropping "sync" on newer TVs, they just don't keep up so your input is behind.

And that's not really the issue with this new version because they adjusted the timing, the issue is as it's always been - pressing the buttons at the right time for the game result in Parappa himself sounding like a chopped up mess. He's never sounded right, the game was just very novel at the time so we didn't care.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Answered my own question: Downloaded and playing.

I will up the ante:

I know Dishonored 2 originally got panned a bit by Digital Foundry for offering little, if any performance improvement on PS4 PRo.

A) Did anything better ever get patched in?

B) If not. Does Boost Mode have an affect?
If a game has a Pro mode (even if it does very little), Boost mode has no effect.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Persona 5 it won't matter, Horizon will get 30fps even on a regular PS4, for Nier you'll need a Pro to hit 60fps.
Nier is 60fps on both, it's 900vs1080.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Macarius Wrench posted:

I think both Titanfall 2 and Overwatch are around the 25 quid mark thesedays, either one is a winner it just depends if you prefer mechs or anime :shrug:
Overwatch is... Anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

yeah, that sucks :(

I've just been conditioned that that poo poo is never safe to do. You're all obviously much more well adjusted people with better time management skills than me.
Aren't you also a Young Person without familial responsibilities? When you're older and have more poo poo To Do pretty much all the time you can't necessarily dedicate any amount of time to games. Stuff like Dark Souls not pausing is fine because it saves all the time, but for something like P5 or NieR: Automata or Yakuza, suspend mode is the only real way to make it feasible for me to be able to play them.