Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ve almost finished 13 Sentinels and I still don’t understand why the children need to be naked in the robots. I can’t even remember if that was something I was told the game would explain or not tbh, but it is amusing as hell
It’s basically the same reason as Neo when he awakens from the Matrix for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

If you're making a doom game and you wind up with a level in which you walk down a long hallway not shooting anything but repeatedly triggering cutscenes you need to take a step back and reevaluate everything that led you to that point
Lol does Doom Eternal have that? Even Doom 3 doesn’t have that and that is the least Doom Doom game imaginable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What were Team Yakuza thinking by making it so that follower NPCs can’t run as fast as Kiryu in the pre-6 games? Not just Haruka but also full grown adults? Some kind of weird in-joke?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gort posted:

Does that ever matter, though?
They won’t stop complaining that you’re running too fast. Every time I take Rikiya out it’s nonstop “Aniki~! Wait for me!!”

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was fascinated when I first encountered how Amazon Video found related movies. Just abandon the concept of genre and show people what other people who like that movie also like.

I think the concept of genre has its place but for me, that way is more useful to find out what to watch next.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

he most important genre label is anime, because then you know whether to pursue or avoid depending on the kind of person you are
Dark Souls is anime because Berserk is anime.

Unless you don’t want to get into family categorization where A shares an attribute with B and B shares one with C therefore a A is related to C.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Local control over as many government things as possible is kind of a founding idea of America, yeah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arist posted:

Hmm, my PS4 from 2015 might be having disc drive issues. Put in 13 Sentinels and it said "could not start application." I took it out, examined it, and put it back in a couple times, but it wouldn't start the game (even though it knew what game it was). I then inserted Yakuza 5, which successfully started, so I put 13 Sentinels back in and it worked. Also I heard a weird noise from the drive once or twice. Hope everything's okay in there.
My PS4’s optical drive is also half-broken and has been for years. Sticking the nozzle of canned air in there and blowing it may have helped a little bit? I’m not really sure. I don’t buy disc-based PS4 games anymore and usually use my PS3 to play Blu-rays.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Was feeling anime as gently caress and noticed both Gravity Rush games are on sale. Anything I should know going in?
The second one has huge amounts of story content based around even the minor NPC‘s in the first one, so remember who they are I guess? Better than I did anyway.

Edit: in a more practical sense I guess, get ready for a kind of air movement system that isn’t like anything else. You have to set a direction and then propel yourself that way, and if you want to change direction you have to stop and do that again. In the second game they greatly increased your ability to curve your trajectory once you’ve started moving, but in the first one you can hardly do that at all.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 1, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUNKOS posted:

Could you go into GR2 blind or would you be lost without playing the first game? Also, does the online stuff being dead affect much in the game? I think I remember hearing it was unimportant except for being related to a trophy or two?
The first part of GR2 takes place in a new environment with new characters and stuff, but about halfway through you go back to the old place for quite a long time and all the characters there are like hey how have you been! And I didn’t remember or care who tf any of them were. That’s the serious weak point of the game I think.

As for online, is it really shut off for good? I really liked the picture scavenger hunt thing, even though it became way too easy towards the end.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I agree with most of what he said. I was really won over by the colorful and unique environments(in contrast to the mostly brown and same of the first game), and Kat is always fun as a character, but nothing that they added to the gameplay really did anything for me. Fighting humans should never have even been considered for this series, and the accessory system and diving for them was incredibly half assed when it could’ve been so cool.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They never went all the way with the idea of moving through the air merely by choosing the direction you fall. It was always kind of a hybrid between that and flying like Superman, which I think dissatisfied a lot of people who wanted it to be all the way one or the other.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There’s something about Falcom‘s characters that consistently do absolutely zero for me. Their game systems are good but ultimately I just can’t care about what any of the characters want, and in story focused games that just makes me drop off from playing them. I’ve still never finished a single Falcom game. I’m closer than ever with Ys 8 but the ending has just been dragging and dragging and dragging.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

fridge corn posted:

Think I'm getting the hang of monhun, but I can only manage like 2 hunts before getting tired of it
There is just an incredible amount of non-combat time involved in each hunt. I’m sure there’s some logic behind it and it seems to of succeeded because millions of people love the game, but for me it’s like waiting at a stoplight.

Edit: and that’s even after all the improvements they made to that in World. Before that it was like, can you wake me up when I finally get to the monster again?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I always thought that it's because Monster Hunter World tries to make hunts actually feel a bit like hunting instead of just like boss fights, and most of that is waiting and figuring out where you even need to go in the first place.
World just directly tells you where to go next for the most part though. They took out the challenge of that but not the time it takes to do it.

But either way, it’s the fighting that’s the fun part to me and they deliberately take it away several times during each hunt. It’s just not the game for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Offline play hours: 815
Online play hours: 3

I don’t play well with others.

Edit: also, does it not count PS3 games? I played two games in particular Umineko 1 and 2) for a long time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I started playing AI: the Somnium Files and somehow I missed that the writing is snappy and funny as hell, with all kinds of opportunities to make AI-ball do stupid poo poo and laugh at her.

It feels like just the supernatural parts of the Phoneix Wright games without all the rest. I’m in the middle of a couple of the games now (including the new version of Umineko which is similar in some ways) so it probably won’t get all my attention, but I think it will be a main game for a while.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can tell that there’s an entire world of complexity in actually fighting the monsters. Not just understanding and reacting to their many behaviors but also weapons selection and learning how each weapon operates, and also team communication and so on.

But it seems that that’s only like a third of the game at most, in practice. The other two thirds are boring poo poo like traversing the environment over and over again and farming weapon components, even though all the weapon types are available to you from the beginning.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 3, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUNKOS posted:

While picking up Gravity Rush 2 on sale I saw Resonance of Fate in the recommended section, which apparently received a remaster for PS4. Is the game worth picking up for someone that isn't hardcore into JRPGs or is it still a good still a good time?

I remember back when it came out the combat with the acrobatic guns looked cool and I think there was a crazy system where you could modify your guns in the most hilarious ways, but I can't seem to find any video reviews for the PS4 version. I'd love to know the thoughts of anyone that's played it? I like the look of the world and the combat seems fun but I think I remember conversations from years ago describing the game as being really hard?
It’s just bizarre and complicated as hell. It’s one of those games where I loved the concept but I never finished it because it just became ridiculous bullshit almost immediately.

Maybe someday I’ll buy the PS4 version when it’s on sale, but probably only if I don’t have any other games to play.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
AI: the solomumium files (or whatever that word is, I can never remember) it’s still pretty fun but boy I hate the character of Iris. I knew I would hate her from the trailers I saw, which is almost singularly why I didn’t give the game a try until now. I guess she’s just meant to be that way?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Samurai Sanders does the PS3 output sound over USB 👀👀👀 I know you’re an expert on that stuff
It depends entirely on the device. My old Turtle Beach headset did but my new Logitech one doesn’t. I have various headphone amps and some of them have worked and some of them haven’t. That kind of thing isn’t documented anywhere for the most part and sometimes you have no choice but just to try it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

Recent “anti-addiction” legislation also reduced payouts.
Also the people who play it the most are getting old and dying.

edit: and there's smartphone games to compete with now, and a lot of other reasons. They're making wagon wheels, candles and horseshoes in the pachinko business.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

I do not enjoy turn based combat at all, which is one reason I am glad Yakuza 7 does not feature my friend Kiryu Kazama.

However at the same time I am a little sad, because it means Yakuza 6 will be my last Yakuza game.
Kiryu isn’t really anyone’s friend though, in the sense of trusting anyone enough to let them share the danger with him. That’s the huge difference between him and Ichiban.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

That is why I love him so. He takes on the world onto his shoulders and does it with his signature frown. So rad :swoon:
Kiryu is an great example of that incredibly common kind of character, and for a long time I didn’t even imagine there could be another kind in a game like that. Ichiban showed me that there can be something more, and it’s really hard to go back.

Edit: besides being willing to let his friends have his back, he actually enjoys being with them. He doesn’t just go “heh” and then walk out of the room when Date or whoever says something, like Kiryu always does. It’s a big deal.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 8, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It’s terrible to say, but I don’t think Kiryu is going to raise the orphans very well because he can’t demonstrate sustained connections with people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VideoGames posted:

No spoilers! I am still making my way through Kiwami 2! (Got 3,4,5 and 6 left!)
Oh, sorry.

Well, for better or for worse, what you see is what you get with Kiryu. He’s a mental organism designed only for...never killing anyone.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don’t care so much about Makoto but the fact that her persona is Pope Joan but a motorcycle is amazing.

Edit: I don’t know if that needs spoilers or not

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Makoto fuckin rules. She's best gril if we're not counting horny housemaid teacher
Haru has the best hat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I stopped watching Zero Punctuation when Yahtzee started sprinkling venomous comments about women into seemingly every single video he makes.
When youtubers do this I always wonder if their attitudes changed or whether they discovered that saying that stuff got them more views.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Idg how someone could confuse these two guys

One of them has a dumb name like “master chief” or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I watched A Knight’s Tale a while ago for the first time (Paul Bettany was awesome but everything else sucked), did that start the trend of medieval and fantasy stuff using modern music, which a few of those trailers seem to be following?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

oh no absolutely not, this was started by baz luhrmann in 1996 with romeo + juliet
Oh yeah...that movie. I guess I had erased it from my mind.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just remembered the trailer for Secret of Evermore. I was so confused about why they went with an edgy Saturday morning cartoon asthetic for a Secret of Mana clone.

https://youtu.be/dEu8wDAQuDk

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kazzah posted:

TIL the Chinese translation of Max Payne 3 is titled The True Colours of Heroes
I looked it up and yep, 英雄本色3. I guess the true colors of heroes are dirty white shirts caked in blood?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Looking at the platforms that some of those were released on, it's not surprising. I don't think I've ever so much as seen a TurboGrafx-16 in person, never mind known anyone who actually owned one.
Ironically I’ve only played a PC Engine, not a Turbografix, and only once. I visited a friend of a friend in Japan years ago and he just wanted to play some puyo-puyo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

Aren't those the same thing? Wikipedia says so, anyway.
Yeah, but I mean I never encountered one in the US, only in Japan one time.

I saw ads for it growing up but it seemed as out of reach as a Neo-Geo at the time. I wanted a Neo-Geo so much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Uncut Gems made me almost as anxious as a horror movie tbh
Yeah that was just nonstop stress and anxiety from the very first minute to the last. The only kind of character in it is someone who I would never want to be around in real life for even a few seconds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The other day I watched Sion Sono’s Cold Fish, which is definitely an exemplar of the matter-of-fact portrayal of murder that Japanese cinema is famous for.

Edit: my favorite line goes like “you never know when someone will just suddenly die. I do though”

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 21, 2021

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

most horror media sucks bc people are so wrapped up in being ashamed of the genre they all want to be classified as a "psychological thriller" and thats why all of these new "smart" horror movies are all the same boring poo poo

give me critters or dollman versus the demonic toys, thanks. if rich koz or joe bob briggs couldn't present your movie i will probably pass.
I guess you never considered that humans could be the real monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m finally further in the PS4 version of Odin Sphere than I ever got on the ps2, beyond Mercedes’ part, and I’m still wondering, is this game really 80 hours long or something? Or are the parts beyond her vastly shorter than the parts before?