Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dunban posted:

Can't say that I care about Ape Escape, but whatever, it's the first run of the marathon, so I'll watch it.

It's cool and good, I assure you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Palpek posted:

There's another AGDQ thread stickied right now that got posted earlier (and got more responses), help me figure out which one should stay. I realize that this one was made by the same OP as last year and there was effort put into it but the other one was first and is currently more popular.

I stickied both for the time being (lol).

This OP is better but it'll probably just get drowned out in angry shitposting if it replaces the other one

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Also I say this thread should say since it sucks that KennyMan666 put all this effort into this thread only to be upstaged by a lame joke

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Excellent, thanks Palpek.

So that run was tight as hell and ion has the heart of a showman. The Dax shoutout is so loving sad though because I've been reading his twitter about how he just can't get in because something got hosed with his registration and he travelled all the way to get turned away at the door. I feel really bad for the guy.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Argue posted:

This is hella subjective but are there any runs that sound like they might be "landmark" runs? For example, last year there was that insane run where a guy did the hardest levels of Catherine by himself, in two player mode, with two controllers.

I feel like people leave out the part of that where 2-player Catherine is easier than solo Catherine, but whatever very few people played that game let alone ran it.

Like don't get me wrong it was a great run and his pace through those stages was shockingly adept for two bloody controllers but part of that run is intentionally misleading to look good

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

nessin posted:

Speedrunning in general question if anyone knows, but what 2016 games have hit if off for speedrunning so far? Obviously Doom and Furi, both being run at AGDQ, but are there any others that have been picked up by speedrunners and aren't being shown at AGDQ?

Dishonoured 2, SUPERHOT, Momodora 4, Dark Souls 3, that new kirby game, the PS4 Ratchet and Clank remake thing, Ori DE is an honorable mention for technically being a 2016 release, Hyper Light Drifter, Rabi Ribi and the very recently released Shantae Half Genie Hero are all games released in 2016 that have been met with decently-sized speedcommunities. Some of these are being shown at GDQ, some aren't, couldn't be arsed to cross-reference and eliminate some stuff.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

eSporks posted:

It does have some kinda dumb strats though, like exiting and reopening the game to skip cutscenes. I'm curious if the community settled on no S&Q at all.

I see nothing about it specifically on their leaderboard so I assume they just embraced it? That's usually what winds up happening.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Typical speedruns: frame-perfect reflexes
FF speedrun: math the gently caress out of it

RPG routing is very interesting and I totally enjoy reading the notes and guides when those get posted, wouldn't even mind learning one such run myself, like I get why runs like that exist because they're absolutely not valueless and often quite interesting.

Just not as a spectator thing, more as a write-up thing. I can't watch runs like that, I'll space out.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

eSporks posted:

I dunno, I never actually saw a No S&Q run, it was just sorta silly seeing someone's desktop icons mid run.

I mean, if it's faster then why not? I get that it looks funky because PC but it's not much different from similar strategies in console games.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Rirse posted:

The run neat, but it loses something not showing off the fun combat of DOOM by just skipping around through walls for most of the run.

That was honestly one of the things that turned me off from learning that run, despite the fact I loved that game to bits. The speedrun doesn't really resemble the reason I enjoyed the game.

that and you have to push 200 FPS and framerate dependant tricks are so annoying to work with

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

That Ratchet and Clank race just passed was simply amazing and good fun energy all around.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

This Vice City run is supremely good.

Yeah, I'd recommend the poo poo out of that run as well, it was tight as hell.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Each year, TASBlock is becoming less of a speedrunning event and more of a weird art installation.

I agree, but I also entirely don't want them to stop because it's loving bananas.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Hy_C posted:

Is the Undertale run genocide or peaceful?

True Pacifist, because it's by far the better run of the two.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah the couch and announcer for Super Metroid weren't good, which was even worse because 100% is a boring category; the solution is to do Metroid better, tho.

I'd be fine with an Isaac RNG four-way race during off hours. I think it would be more interesting than people suspect even if 2/4 racers got hosed over by RNG on the first couple floors. We've literally had a Super Metroid race be decided at Phantoon because one of the racers died, and there's a much lower chance of that person coming back to win than somebody who gets a few poo poo item pulls on Isaac.

I watch GDQ to be entertained foremost. If you wanna see a game played optimally you can watch a TAS.

Isaac has bombed at like, every single GDQ it's ever been ran at. I'm prepared to call it, it's just not a good marathon game. I don't even think it's a good speedgame period, let alone marathon game but I cannot imagine an Isaac race working out in any format, even seeded.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Sounds like an exercise in strategic screen-looking.

This guy gets it, and incidentally you've also tapped into the reason seeded Isaac SRL races got lovely.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Vermain posted:

I think Crypt of the Necrodancer is the only Roguelike that's actually been run with some success at the GDQs, unless I'm forgetting another one.

Was Spelunky ran at any point? I swear I remember seeing it on schedules but I don't think I ever watched it if it was.

I might be conflating schedules with submissions here.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Fangz posted:

Would screen looking be that bad? Surely it'll just be a minor bit of rubber banding.

Looking at other people's streams while racing the game online already kinda totally breaks the point of racing seeded and that entails some degree of stream delay.

plus it's just kind of loving lame

Elman posted:

It's easy to prevent the runners from seeing each other's screens, though? Not saying is a good speedrun game, but that one problem is easy to solve.

Sure, but that's a really weird provision for a speedrun race to even need.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

This argument is so dumb it literally makes my head hurt.

This argument is so dumb you could solve it with a loving piece of cardboard.

And yet it was the exact reason seeded races didn't take off much on SRL. In person, sure but I don't see it even getting submitted if it has no footholding in that community.

I also still don't think it'd be a good idea anyway.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Your Computer posted:

.. But you gotta agree that "we can't run this because our community is literally too juvenile not to screenlook" is hilarious.

It is! But it's also literally the reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Whatever you want to call them, having a Slow Thread and a Fast Thread was a very good move.

I agree. Mainly because I liked being able to shitpost in the Fast Thread without fear I was ruining potentially good discussion when they were all one thread.

• Locked thread