Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

this is an extremely common component of all statistically oriented ranking systems

most go to second order opponent's opponents too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

iospace posted:

Though I've never heard of going to 2nd order.
I think it was the official BCS formula -- at least for a second, since they were constantly changing it in response to however they hosed up last time -- that included SOS at 2/3 opponents and 1/3 opponents' opponents?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'd obviously mod entirely based on bribery.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Speaking of OL play: what's the deal a few teams do -- Auburn, Oregon off the top of my head -- where when the defense jumps and it's a free play the OL will stay in place while the QB takes his home-run shot? Is it to emphasize that the defense was offside so the flag gets thrown? Are they just trained to not move under any circumstances until the snap count goes off? Even if it's a free play and there's no consequence to a sack or hurry wouldn't you want to protect the QB anyway just to make the deep ball more likely to succeed?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sash! posted:

That's got to be one of the most insane sounding, but factual, sentences about football possible.
Bjork's husband filmed part of a seven-hour art film about balls on the Goodyear Blimp above Boise State's blue turf. True story.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Congrats, he is destined to enjoy many infuriatingly futile seasons that still contain an inexplicable victory over Auburn.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Like I said, it's very much ado about nothing to me but this is part of why UNC got hosed. It's fairly shocking that nothing ever comes out about bigger programs, especially something like current day Bama, because you know that campus has to be absolutely swarming with agents ready to do anything and everything, like loan a kid a car for 9 months, to get them to sign with them.
I'm sure players are having their needs taken care of but specifically with agents at Bama I'm not surprised there's nothing happening because I assume Nick Saban could just literally have them killed if they come anywhere near campus.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn ATH Stanton Truitt announced he's going to UNC after declaring his intention to transfer a while ago. I was disappointed when he said he was leaving and I'm gonna call him a sleeper to be a big contributor for UNC. Started the season as a WR who didn't do all that much but then in garbage time of our blowout at Mississippi State, when there was a lack of depth due to Kerryon Johnson's injury, he got some time as an RB and look absolutely explosive. Also did some of that stuff against Arkansas I think, but later when injuries at RB were a problem again it seemed like his obvious potential was being ignored. So that's probably why he left.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

So Mensa just takes anyone, huh?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

There was another development today in the effort to unionize football players at Northwestern. Here's the link, I hesitate to even attempt a summary given how complicated this is -- in short it appears to be a minor ruling in the players' favor but of uncertain importance or permanence.

Yet another reason Northwestern may not achieve their goal of winning the Big 10 in 2017.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Brandon Harris transferring from LSU.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Arden Key is taking an unspecified amount of time off football for unspecified reasons?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's weird. They're a soup and sandwich place, fine, nothing special.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

I wish he wouldn't have taken the drat Liberty gig but I'd like to think we can all give him a pass on two lovely years at KU given what little his successors have done :unsmith:
What was Mangino's secret? Is abusing your players to victory the only thing that can work there?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

Clemson Athletics has confirmed that he died :smith:
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/02/clemson_associate_ad_bert_hend.html#incart_river_index
"Found dead near his home" is all the detail I see so far. RIP.

The Tuberville poo poo, I dunno, I guess Robert Bentley's notorious horniness might be enough to weaken him for a primary but he's not even like an Alabama native and being an Auburn coach who enjoyed relative success over Alabama probably hurts more than helps. If there is going to be a primary challenge the more serious threat would be Roy Moore gathering the Biblethumpers, though he's tried and failed before. Business will fall in line behind Bentley so I don't know what Tuberville's constituency is.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ehud posted:

I prefer the contemporary Christian genre where everything sounds like a bad [modern] U2 cover.
Somebody at work is playing that stuff right now and I was just thinking it's so boring I wouldn't listen to it even if the lyrics were a wizard telling me my future.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The SEC gave Arkansas a waiver to count their 2018 game at Colorado State as fulfilling the requirement to play one P5 OOC game every year. (They were scheduled to play Michigan who bought out the contract to replace them with Notre Dame.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

What's the penalty if you don't get a waiver? Does it make the offending team ineligible to win their division, or is it just a fine?
I can't find this anywhere, all the articles just say "it's required" but I wanna say it is in theory mandatory for being eligible to win the division. Hard to imagine they'd enforce it in a spot where it mattered, or even really need to -- I'm guessing the team would just need to find a plausibly OKish G5 like this situation, and I'm sure the conference and ESPN would gladly pull strings to make that happen.

Auburn scheduled former SEC member Tulane for Week 2 of 2019, following Oregon at the Jerrydome.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mike_V posted:

lol wasn't Arkansas the place where the big parking lot fight after a game happened last year? I think someone posted a video of it.
I remember a remarkable fight in the stands caught on tv at the end of an Arkansas game against either Ole Miss or Mississippi State a year or two ago.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/851414205588799491

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Worse ways for governors to spend their free time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

On another note, that doesn't involve white supremacy, the Jarrett Stidham hype train is boarding now, and I am the conductor toot toot oh poo poo but he's white, wait the guy whose job he's stealing is not only white but named White so it's actually mad woke? Yes that is the story I'm going with.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess I'm gonna have to come up with a Stidhamatar before the season starts.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Seeing a lot of alumni dorks condeming Spencer but also doing the "fighting Nazis makes you bad too, don't stir up trouble" poo poo.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Having found the best possible use for an "SEC" chant we should use the occasion to retire it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If you're gonna get delusional about an SECE team this year it's gotta be Georgia. Eason, 2nd-year coach effect, permanent SECW opponent they yearly own despite being on-paper equal at best.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

@BrentZwerneman: WR Kirk Merritt has been dismissed from Texas A&M football, according to @theeagle. Had exposed himself to two tutors in 24 hr span.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

When was the last SEC stadium to get a name change before this? Adding to one of the hyphenated ones?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

an adult beverage posted:

UF just changed their stadium last fall to Steve Spurrier-Florida Field at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium (loving huge mouthful).
We do the Pat Dye Field at Jordan-Hare Stadium but nobody ever notices those but the home fans I think.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Georgia possibly considered hyphenating Sanford Stadium to include Wally Butts.
Y'all know the story about the Wally Butts/Bear Bryant pseudo-scandal? I'm guessing Georgia fans do. Long story short, a week or two before Alabama and Georgia were set to play in uhh time to actually Google this ... 1962, some random guy in Atlanta picks up his phone to make a call and, through the magic of wires and stuff, cuts in to the middle of a conversation between Butts and Bryant. He claims to overhear Butts seemingly giving Bryant the details of some plays or his gameplan or something, and after Georgia loses 35-0, goes to the Saturday Evening Post saying it was a fix. They publish a far-overreaching story about college football being rigged; Butts and Bryant sue and win big, and the case eventually produces some significant doctrine on libel law. Great book on it called "Fumble" if you want some offseason reading.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It is going to be pretty funny if everyone basically transformed the sport around this TV money -- realignment, conference networks, coach salaries, ballooning auxiliary staff, ludicrous facilities -- and then it just disappears.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wait have you guys never heard "he was nailing them from 70 with leg to spare before the game" like 1000x from announcers before a dude misses a 49-yard attempt because practice is meaningless and you just can't do that under actual game conditions?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tuberville was always giving an LS a scholarship but in the latter half of his time at Auburn he didn't really give a poo poo about recruiting so he had them to spare.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I might be remembering this wrong but I wanna say at one of the two 'Dega races I was at in '06 Tommy Tuberville drove the pace car and got booed by like 80% of the crowd.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Cook the chicken and sausage, add crab meat in the last 5 minutes or shrimp in the last 3. Can always have both.
What my mom does is get the big bag from the shrimp man maybe two or three days before you actually want to serve the gumbo, take some out to boil or make poboys or whatever that night. Save the shells when you peel them and throw them in a pot (reusing the water if you boiled some), steep all the flavor off the shells, strain it and you've got shrimp stock to start the gumbo with. She'll also throw the shrimp in for just the few minutes they need to cook but in the middle of the process and then take the shrimp back out instead of just at the end. She's afraid of burning the roux if she makes if from scratch so she uses a mix for that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/5/13/15635032/donald-trump-liberty-football-speech-commencement-2017

quote:

Then Trump talked about current events, noting that Liberty was making the leap to the FBS for the 2018 season. The crowd started to cheer, and Trump responded. "Don’t clap. That could be tough. That could be tough. I’m a little worried. I don’t wanna look at some of those scores here. Jerry, you sure you know what you’re doing here? Those other players are big and fast and strong, but I have a feeling you’re gonna do very well, right?"

Trump read out future opponents’ names: UMass, Virginia, Auburn, Rutgers, Old Dominion, Brigham Young, Army, Buffalo, Troy, Virginia Tech, Ole Miss, and Wake Forest.

“Jerry, are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Trump riffed at one point. “Jerry, Auburn? I don’t know about that, Jerry. This could be trouble, Jerry.”
I'd make some av/text combo out of that if it wouldn't make me look like a MAGA guy.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Haven't read yet but a few weeks ago on his podcast he had an interesting take on relegation: use it only among the G5 to fill a sixth power conference.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Incoherence posted:

This is sort of awkward because it means those schools have a harder time maintaining regional rivalries, and travel expenses will vary year to year based on who's promoted. If Hawaii gets out of the dumpster one year, suddenly the Consolation Prize Conference becomes a much less lucrative thing for G5 schools.
It definitely is, and it was treated as the kind of idle chatter you need to fill a football podcast in April, but it strikes me as a way more plausible idea oriented around a goal that could offer an actual benefit to some of the participants, as opposed to the "somehow get Vandy to voluntarily give up their SEC lucre because soccer does it" version that's always bandied around. Maybe you reserve a slot in each superconference team's schedule for a rival from their "home" conference, maybe people decide it's kinda dumb to fly hundreds of kids across an ocean to play against a team that's almost never relevant?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A Bryant-Heisman conference of the surviving major teams they coached would work pretty well for a small one: Maryland, Kentucky, A&M, Bama vs. Auburn, Clemson, GT, Rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Azrial posted:

According to CBS Auburn's AD would like to move to the east. That would cause a few problems with schedules, probably not going to happen but entertaining to consider.
It's never been a secret that they want to, there's just no good way to manage it without some corresponding changes. Either you go to nine conference games (great) but have to designate two permanent opponents to preserve the Iron Bowl and 3SIO (which means you're throwing away the benefit of more frequent cross-division rotation you'd otherwise get out of a ninth game); or Bama comes to the East as well and whatever argument you want to make about their long-term prospects post-Saban, it sure looks like you've hosed up the competitive balance (and nobody in the East would consent to that). It's an interesting offseason story that our AD is saying it out loud for once but any solution still seems years away.

• Locked thread