Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ha, I completely missed the BBall has had this rule for a while now bit, which is either completely incorrect or has loopholes you can drive a truck through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean the rule is strictly to prohibit administrative or "volunteer" hirings and you know drat good and well why they happen. Coaching hires are still completely legal.

I guess I just figured most of the coaching hires were the same thing. Like we'll let you 'coach' as long as your kid comes.

As regards MU BB I suppose he's at least coached women's basketball, and whatever he did under Romar before.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: They're renovating the locker room. $10 million, each locker will cost $10,500 and feature a 43-inch television.

We'll never know but I'd be curious to see what the most watched things on individualized locker room televisions are.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah that makes those people even loving dumber than they already are.

So General Dog basically.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh that agent who had charges brought a while back for paying UNC players plead guilty today. Just in case there was any doubt about that.

e: haha look at this quote by the DA NC Secretary of State.

quote:

"Years ago when this all began, people in the athlete agent industry scoffed at us for looking into these cases," North Carolina Secretary of State Elaine F. Marshall said in a statement. "They said 'This is how it works and you can't change it.' But today, everyone in that business knows that when you come to North Carolina, you had better follow the law. And if you don't, we can and we will enforce the law."

The guy got 30 months probation, a suspended jail sentence of 6-8 months and a $5k fine. 7 years of work went into that. I'm sure agents are just quaking in their boots Elaine.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 18, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BigSexyWitGlasses posted:

Who was it going on about "enemies of Rutgers athletics"

Mcmagic after they fired their super abusive basketball coach. Something about 'the enemies of Rutgers Athletics won today.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

The SEC East is always competent this time of year. poo poo there's probably two or three of them in the top 15 right now. Which is the new hotness that's totally going to be title contender and definitely won't lose 4 or 5 games? Florida?

I mean, you do cheer for Texas.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Quandary posted:

Legit question is making your school after a group a bad thing always? Obviously if it's a slur IE Redskins that's awful but having them be the Aztecs isn't necessarily bad or derogatory.

It's very possibly that this post is on the wrong side of history.

The cultural appropriation is generally the problem I think? Think of the old Illini thing where someone would dress up as an Indian chief and dancing around, poo poo like that. Or the Chiefs, like there's nothing at all bad about the name itself but I understand why some native americans would be pissed about all the fans showing up in headdresses and a white cheerleader dressed in a vaguely native american fashion riding around on a horse after Touchdowns and poo poo.

I have no clue how much or little SDSU does with Aztec things.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TipTow posted:

For the few OU posters (or anyone else, I guess) who still occasionally lurk the thread: I'm putting the O/U on "Sooners" getting replaced at 15 years. Any takers?

When I was around six I asked my older brother where "Sooners" came from and he told me it was because they would sooner be somewhere other than Oklahoma. I believed this was the actual reason for the name for an embarrassingly long time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Source your quotes.

Because :stare:

It's kinda :geno: instead of :stare: at this point if true.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I still don't understand how you can give kids rhabdo and keep your job as an S&C coach. And now it's happened twice in 6 years with big programs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm going to Austin, TX next week for 5 days and will have lots of free time. What are some great food spots or things to do?

Since I've seen more talking about places to eat and stuff to do in Austin here than anywhere on the forums some of you Texas guys go help this goon in the chat thread out.

On topic it looks like ESPN is cutting back on their CFB analysis guys pretty hard. I think the SEC blog guys are still around though which is funny.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, hey hey!

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/857728806081122304

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I could see CBS trying too if they want to try to make something out of CBSSN.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

lamentable dustman posted:

They already have a studio in Charlotte for ESPN U to piggy back off of

Earlier today I think I saw somewhere they're shutting that studio down? Although I guess they could just repurpose it to be an ACC Network studio, but the timing made me think they were just shutting it down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

It exists and gives Texas money, so it's doing what it was designed to do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I kind of admire the man. Imagine looking like that, having the record at Arkansas he does, saying things that have the entire nation laughing at how stupid they are....and yet still being so utterly confident in himself. It's really pretty impressive.

Charlie Weis had this type of thing going for him too for a long time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Jesus Christ Charlie Strong can't catch a break. So you might have heard USF player LaDarrius Jackson was arrested for sexual battery and false imprisonment Monday night. And you might remember the USF kid who got shot after threatening another man with a gun.

Today was the first day Jackson was in court:

Judge Margaret Taylor posted:

I graduated from USF in 1989, long before there was a football team. And while USF may not be the top-ranked school in the nation, I was never ashamed of being an alum until now. I’m embarrassed and ashamed, Mr. Jackson. Let’s just say my USF diploma is not proudly hanging in my office right now.

Fine so far, Jackson is a piece of crap if the allegations are remotely true. But then she went off on Charlie:

Judge Margaret Taylor posted:

This court, and I’m sure I’m not alone, questions whether you have control over your players. It’s fairly clear that you do not have control of them off the field. And I guess only time will tell whether you have control over them on the field.

I would implore you to think long and hard about whether being head coach at USF is a good fit for you, before any other members of this community have to suffer at the hands of one of your players.

Strong has been there since December and recruited neither of these players. He already kicked the gun guy off the team and if he hasn't kicked Jackson off the team it's because this all started about 36 hours before these remarks were made.

e: Strong was not actually present in the court room I don't believe

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 4, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

John Brown posted:

I can never say this enough: gently caress Penn State

Jesus Christ it's amazing how every Penn State story seems to make me think this.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I learned today that shark skin feels like sandpaper, so add in some masochism to the mysterious shark humper who is definitely Jim McElwain.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AsInHowe posted:

I am amused that the Baylor investigation is confirming the worst of what we expected, plus the new tangential problem of dogfighting.

Isn't this just new stuff from lawsuits so far though? Like not from an investigation I mean.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

What the gently caress is the #cab bullshit?

I'm missing something here.

Coach Art Briles.

There's a significant faction that believes he did nothing wrong (including Ken Starr).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

I think Nick Saban could get away with an astonishing amount of poo poo right now because half that fanbase would bathe in his farts just to get closer to him.

Bill Snyder is probably the most dangerous coach in the nation.

Luckily he just seems to be a more or less nice old man with the occasional bad opinion.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

Bill Snyder has bad opinions? Like about Werther's or what?

Ell Roberson maybe sexually assaulted someone before a bowl game and Snyder let him play before he was cleared by the DA (I have no clue how shady or not shady this whole thing was). Then he wrote some open letter to KSU fans about how young people shouldn't be having sex in his opinion or this never would have been a problem.

Also he thinks every college football game should be played at noon on Saturday. And he hates the media in general.

He's just an old dude with old dude opinions really.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mr. World posted:

Dave Bliss still coaches basketball while he's an insurance adjuster.

And he doubled down on the bullshit drug story earlier this year. His show cause was up, he was coaching some NAIA school, all he had to do was say he did something really dumb and apologize--or hell just refuse to do the documentary. Instead he made the same drug claims again that every investigation (both by law enforcement and the NCAA) has found to be completely untrue.

He had to resign that NAIA job and he'll probably go back to coaching high school somewhere. Dave Bliss is a special kind of stupid.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 18, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Why exactly is he transferring again?

He's not going to start is probably the actual reason, but to get away from Brian Kelly is what I'm going to go with.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

I just realized that if something happens to the ACC, FSU doesn't really have a good landing spot. :smith:

SEC already has Florida.

The ACC has gone from being shaky as hell a few years ago to kinda solid though? Seems like we're back to the Big 12 as the most likely conference to die when Texas feels like they're not making enough money.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

Houston wasn't invited, were there? I doubt they would turn that down.

Yeah as I understand it Houston basically got played by Texas going "we'll totally support you joining" if you don't oppose something Texas was trying to do when they knew the league wasn't going to expand.

kayakyakr or someone remembers the details on that I'm sure?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

whiteyfats posted:

Why would WVU move so soon after joining the Big XII?

It seems like a better geographical fit, but the real answer if this were anything other than some guy spitballing would be to get out of the Big 12.

I'd imagine nothing major with conference moves/additions is going to happen in the next few years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pakled posted:

UConn would be pretty disappointing. I'd prefer WVU and probably Memphis or Cincinnati but then again I don't care about basketball so I'm definitely in the minority among ACC fans.

Those are some pretty ok basketball programs other than Memphis right now (Jesus what is Tubby Smith doing?) so maybe the fans would be ok with it? Not UConn level, but solid enough to belong in the conference.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think they'd rather be in the SEC if they had a choice between that and the ACC, but either way yeah there's no particular love between WVU and the Big 12. There is a Grant of Rights that would probably be a pain to get out of for the next few years, although I'm sure it could be done if someone wanted to badly enough.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

as for the silly joke about WVU, west virginia is only a thing in the first place because they didn't want to secede.

To be fair I'd imagine the ancestors of WVU football fans are the ones who wanted no part of the union.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Maybe an actual WVU fan can weigh in, but that's my impression.

I remember Andichu (I think? Might have been another WVU guy) really wanted the SEC to happen, but it's possible that was just in comparison to Missouri at the time things were up in the air.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

Pitt, Mizzou, BC, and Cuse aren't a cultural fit with the rest of their conference. The other teams you could separate any way and still come out with similar results.

Don't make me recap the razing of damned yankee Lawrence and our ongoing love of one of the most despicable criminals of all time just because he stole from (mostly) northerners again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, Illinois settled with the dude who went on a twitter rant about how awful Tim Beckman was for 250k. Good for that guy, I didn't even realize he was suing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think somewhere we covered Vince Young signing with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He's apparently going to be in a QB competition with Maty Mauk of all people.

I don't know why the idea of this fascinates me but it does.

e: Haha, never mind, the Roughriders already released Mauk after signing him like 2 days ago.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 31, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

In other words, Tech's defense sucks.

I know we've talked about this before but remind me how hot Kingsbury's seat is?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That is for real an amazing gif.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Snyder already retired once. It didn't take.

As bad and stupid as this thing is I suspect it's just going to be a minor kerfuffle overall, unless maybe Sutton sues KSU/Snyder for the drug test thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is the current MSU player sex assault thing independent of the creepy doctor they had? Because the doctor was way worse.

Yeah this is just, well 'just' a sexual assault. The doctor was systematically abusing gymnasts across the nation for like 20 years.

• Locked thread