Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

This literally is it too, which is hilarious. People just kinda accept that bigger programs probably do similar stuff in terms of recruiting but anytime a team that isn't supposed to good traditionally has succsss people freak out. College football fans hate underdogs for some reason

"How dare this cupcake do well! They're supposed to be a pushover every year! They're totally cheating!"

So the long and short of it, I think people are fine with underdogs as long as the underdogs don't beat THEIR school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

the mean lunch lady posted:

A Mizzou-WVU title game would've ruled

Any title game without the following teams would be awesome:
  • Alabama
  • Ohio State
  • Michigan
  • Notre Dame
  • Florida
  • Rutgers

E: forgot Rutgers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

blugu64 posted:

All I want are my Texas teams to win

A&M is still rear end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I predict Rutgers is the Big 10's pushover.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kim Jong Il posted:

Actually Rutgers should be in every title game. I think Indiana is going to fall off a cliff in be the worst team in the East, and Rutgers will beat some teams from the West.

Counterpoint: nah.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

swickles posted:

Forrest Gump took all the Oscars The Shawshank Redemption should have won. Except for Speed. Speed won best sound mixing Academy Award over The Shawshank Redemption. Yes, you read that right, Speed has an Oscar and The Shawshank Redemption does not.

I guess there was no redemption at the awards for that movie.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

all-Rush mixtape posted:

When do the preseason Top 25s come out? I know the Coaches' Poll comes out this week.

Top 25 shark asses?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jordon Rodgers. Only famous because his brother is Aaron :ughh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kittenmittons posted:

LOL at The Bachelor/ette being a sports broadcasting feeder system.

The only reason he's there is he's Aaron's brother. Nothing more, nothing less. That's the only reason he made it onto that show in the first place.

There's a reason why Aaron has largely disowned his family. It's because holy gently caress do they go "LOOK, I'M AARON RODGERS'S <relative>" a lot for attention.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Probably Magic posted:

Holy poo poo, I missed Musburger retiring? Thank goodness.

It wasn't so much him retiring as much as ESPN shoving him off to the side to cover lovely SEC games.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Most overrated team: Penn State.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PSU also lost its only cool and good thing: the fat kicker.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

How long is Boise going to continue to ride the wave from that one bcs bowl

Of all the G5 teams that didn't get up to a P5 conf, they're probably the most consistent of them, though admittedly falling off as of late. Houston is sort of taking that spot now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Randaconda posted:

Well, it's the only NC college player I can name off the top of my head.

One plays for the Bears, you know.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scarf posted:

Does anyone really "play" for the bears?

Only Walter Payton.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wisconsin is probably going to roll to another West title this year. No PSU or OSU on the schedule, Michigan at home.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dango Bango posted:

I really want to believe Nebraska will beat them if only because it's in Lincoln. But I have no idea what to expect from the team this year. Hopeful Tanner Lee is the truth.

Yeah, I think the only games that will give UW trouble are you guys and NW.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have absolutely 0 problem with people employed by an organization to do radio broadcasts for that org being complete homers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone had to beat Nutt to the punch here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HannibalBarca posted:

few things feel better than beating Auburn. Last year's UGA-Auburn game was sublime.

watching Ohio State get dumpstered is definitely one of those things

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kim Jong Il posted:

I went to the Rutgers open practice yesterday. It's crystal clear that yes they're still going to be bad on offense, but it's going to be night and day from 2016. Last year, they were trying to run a Meyer spread with I-formation personnel, and it was a loving trainwreck.

This year, they're running the Jerry Kill at Minnesota offense. Not world beaters by any means, and poo poo could easily go south with injuries with how the horrible Kyle Flood recruiting killed their depth, but they're going to be astronomically better. You can't fully predict this stuff because of injuries, but I am very confident they're going to win 4-5 games this year. The defense actually looks...really good, and it was relatively good last year considering the impossible situations they were put into. The DC, Jay Niemann, is a star and will probably get hired away for a big job in a year.

Counterpoint

It's Rutgers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manoueverable posted:

Man I'm looking forward to dunking on Rutgers again

:yeah:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

pillsburysoldier posted:

https://twitter.com/craftypanda/status/897996082764034048
UVa students showing out well in spite of the horrors they saw

Edit: now with sound

1 part :cry:, 9001 times :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Quandary posted:

Congrats on the baby and all but I'm really questioning your parenting when your first move is to make your kid a huskers fan that's one step from child abuse.

Could be worse.

Could be Rutgers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scionix posted:

Weddings loving suck how are all of y'all so loving wrong about poo poo constantly JESUS

And most of them don't like the proper team to cheer for now and always.

I'm talking Wisconsin, of course :smug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And they both suck.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duckaerobics posted:

My wife is the biggest SEC homer and I love it. She has watched college football her whole life and still doesn't think it exists outside of the south. Last year she was on a research trip with some other grad students from Wisconsin and she asked them if they had a football team.

Is your wife a poster here?

Because I'd believe it given how some of the SEC fans post.

RumbleFish posted:

I've known two couples who just did the courthouse thing on their own time and then later threw a big rear end party at their house as the "reception." Frankly, it owned. No absurd wedding costs or stressful planning for them, no ceremony for the guests to sit through or formal clothing required, just the fun parts.

See, that's the good way to do it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a neat cape posted:

Qualcomm Stadium is so bad that the NFL team moved to another city, one of the two bowl games it hosted completely disbanded, and the other moved to a baseball stadium

And he didn't take the money to renovate it why? The Packers proved you can completely update an old stadium to modern standards.

Though the Bears proved you can ruin one too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Who is more rear end, Rutgers or A&M?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

Piggly Wiggly titles are the only pre bcs ones that should count

All the rest were voted on by sports media, objectively the dumbest, wrongest people on the planet

I thought you were an Alabama fan

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raku posted:

who do you think has all the piggly wiggly titles bitch????

Well, which team has a pig as a mascot

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

an adult beverage posted:

I know I'm late to Stadium Chat. But the Tropicana Dome is definitely the worst sports venue I've ever been in. And I've visited probably over 60 venues.

Worse than the Oakland stadium?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, I think the proper take is:

Grittybeard posted:

I think I kinda buy Deadspin's take on it. ESPN noticed some low level announcer (after all he's calling UVA football) that people would make bad jokes and memes about on twitter and thought "hey, we don't want to be the butt of dumb jokes." They thought no one would notice if they just changed the game he was calling up. Would you notice if whoever was scheduled to call some Rice/UTEP game was changed over to a North Texas game weeks before it happened?

ESPN didn't tell anyone, if they were grandstanding they absolutely would have and they just tried to slip it under the radar instead. Then someone told Clay Travis, and Clay Travis Clay Travised about it and forced it into an issue ESPN never saw coming.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

Throw Clay Travis into a woodchipper inside a volcano

That would be disrespecting the volcano AND the woodchipper.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot Take: Florida Teams suck.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Randaconda posted:

hmmm yes, with our many championships and all

Let me rephrase:

They're going to do bad this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

gently caress the B1G, I want Ohio St to go 0-12 every year

And Penn State goes 1-11. Sounds good :smug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KKKLIP ART posted:

Trick plays rule and if you don't like them you don't like fun. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nah, best conference is the WCHA. May it rest in peace. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D.N. Nation posted:

Yeah. And likely another dumptrucking by (spins Wheel-O-Big-10-Teams) Wisconsin in a bowl.

Probably the only team to likely dumptruck another team in a bowl outside of the playoffs in the Big Ten. If we make the playoffs, somehow (ok, not that unlikely given we don't have to deal with OSU or PSU), I'm predicting we get dumpstered like Ohio State did.

That was fun to watch.

• Locked thread