Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

With their insane NFL death juggernaut players at every position, why the heck can't Saban get a quarterback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Remember you read it here first, but God Healer and Oracle J Leman predicted on the Big Ten Network that The Mighty Northwestern Wild-Cat is coming out of the West next year. See you chumps in Indianapolis.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bielema and Andersen left Wisconsin because they knew they'd never beat Northwestern at Ryan Field.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i honestly do not care what any of you people cram down your gullets

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy poo poo lol

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lane kiffin is slowly turning into nick nolte

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

at the very least, northwestern had some dude who spurned an MSU scholarship to walk-on and he looks like this:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

There was another development today in the effort to unionize football players at Northwestern. Here's the link, I hesitate to even attempt a summary given how complicated this is -- in short it appears to be a minor ruling in the players' favor but of uncertain importance or permanence.

Yet another reason Northwestern may not achieve their goal of winning the Big 10 in 2017.

at least the Mighty Wildcat won something today. I wonder if Siemian joined the NFL Players' Union.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the words "nineteen gumbos" are incredibly funny, orgeron is a loving treasure

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

swickles posted:

Yeah, one just opened here. In fact, they had a "training night" where you signed up and got a free meal in exchange for rating the service etc. The food was decent, its all soups, slads, and sandwiches. She probably just wants to participate in a business with the guise of "we are trying to make money" rather than "we are trying to make money but don't want you to know about it in anyway and this is kind of indentured servitude".

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

WOOOOOOO GUESS WHO"S BACK

https://twitter.com/leighsteinberg/status/832310553712300032

Watch out, Edmonton! Saskatchewan is coming for you!

HOT drat

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

whiteyfats posted:

Can we agree the Big 10 was overrated as gently caress?

pinstripe bowl champs

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

just saw the freeze news lmao

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

hugh freeze fired for making everyone who sees his name unable to think of anything other than winter puns in a terrible, strained arnold voice for minutes at a time

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it will be a complete failure of our media if no one gets a spurrier quote out of this

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

col. reb is cryin'

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

maybe freeze thought the university wanted him to form an e sports team and he misread the e-mail

Pakled posted:

Last Chance U season 2 came out today and I watched the first two episodes. It's still real good.

I have a hard time with that show, I have an instinctive, visceral revulsion to the coach.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ok so i turned on the second season of last chance u

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this one is just as glorious, the look of determination on the dude's face as he blocks his confused teammate into oblivion is heartbreaking and poignant

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

shoulda never fired dacoacho

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Somewhere, I still have a anonymously-sent package that went out to all the area newspapers.

A private investigator (a laughably bad one, but a private investigator) was hired to look into recruiting at another school.

Another high school.

ah, a brother shamus

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

apparently he exposed the fact that ole miss football exists in Vice City

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

kudos to that guy for identifying to root of evil at Ole Miss, a picture of Brian Urlacher from Madden 2002.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagine reading that book, with that cover, on a train

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't wait to see the mighty northwestern wildcat playing for all the marbles in the "grandaddy of them all" that's right i'm talking about the Meineke Car Care Bowl

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

just remembered that the big ten tried to make northwestern play friday night games and northwestern refused and the big ten actually caved to northwestern like it was a real football team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ara Parseghian literally coached Northwestern to a #1 loving ranking in the entire country then he beat Notre Dame which humiliated them so badly that they hired him.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the best lovely early-2000s reality shows were the Joe Schmo Show and the Fox one that was a parody of the The Apprentice where the secret twist that was that the boss was a literal ape.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao, northwestern fired parseghian because the dumbfuck AD was pissed that he wouldn't play his scrub walkon son

quote:

"He articulated to the staff that he did not want to leave here," Fitzgerald said Wednesday by telephone, hours after learning Parseghian had died at 94. "I can only imagine where our program would have gone if the university had had the foresight to keep Ara."

Think about it: In 1962, Northwestern went to the Horseshoe at Ohio State, gave up a touchdown on the opening kickoff and still thumped Woody Hayes' sixth-ranked Buckeyes 18-14. The next week, the Wildcats throttled Notre Dame 35-6, and then they took out Indiana.

Paul Flatley was there. A star flanker who called Parseghian "the most important person in my life," he summarized that stretch with a question, as if not even he could believe it: "Six-and-0 and No. 1 … at Northwestern?"

Yes, the Wildcats were No. 1 in the AP poll with an innovative, up-tempo, pass-happy offense decades ahead of its time.

Yet by the end of the following season, Parseghian felt unsupported by athletic director Stu Holcomb. He and his assistant coaches once had to dip into their own wallets to buy paint for the locker room. Friends say Parseghian read a comment in a newspaper story in which Holcomb said Northwestern might not renew his contract.

And there was something else: Holcomb had a son on the team, a walk-on, whom Parseghian would not play.

That 1962 team finished 7-2, its thin roster suffering late in the season. His 1963 team went 5-4.

An ESPN.com story Wednesday said Parseghian grew tired of "student apathy" in Evanston, but Flatley didn't see that, saying the student body was enthusiastic.

The coach who went 4-0 against Notre Dame and beat Hayes again in his final game left because of a conflict with his boss.

So he went to South Bend and woke up the echoes. He won two national championships and beat Northwestern nine times in nine tries.

"We kicked Notre Dame's rear end four years in a row, and then they hired him," Flatley said. "They were no dummies."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao northwestern has never ever been good in a year where they weren't picked to be the absolute bottom of the conference, they're going to win like 5 games this year

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ask me about northwestern's minor football hiccups for the vast majority of the twentieth century

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cash Monet posted:

Was it this

Looks like he's meeting his daughter's new boyfriend and he doesn't approve.

lmao at illiniois trying to advertise in a city that already has a big ten team

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

find me a funnier college football combination of words than University of Illinois Quarterback Jeff George Junior

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Illinois finally got around to banning its rip-off chop "war chant"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee starting MLB Darrin Kirkland Jr out indefinitely with a knee injury. Lol gently caress everything.

that's why you gotta go brand name over kirkland

• Locked thread