Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Recent batch of pizzas

These two were baking steel/broiler

This one was obviously baked in a cast iron pan

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Made some French onion soup.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

speaking of, here's what I had for breakfast this morning:

and the bread I baked last night to dip in it

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

after a couple of dreary, unseasonably cool days, today felt like summer and I was burgin' pretty hard, so I burged on the grill

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

I want to preface this immediately by saying that I am not judging you, the poster, nor your shots shown here.

I hate this.

Food glamour shots belong in applebees menus to show how translucent the glaze on the wings is.
Well prepared food, well proportioned, should naturally appear appetizing in normal photos.

Staged shots of food absolutely and 100% of the time strike me as arranged masturbation - either for the photographer or the cook (or both).

Many of these things are not real (again not in this specific example, but one in which this highlights). Or, if they are real, are composed specifically to be photographed at that particular time and arrangement.

I don't dig on it. It's house-mom-food-blogger-y

I don't understand the criticism. Those are good pictures of what looks like good food.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I just got some lamb ribs myself and am trying to decide how to prepare them. Chef John has a root beer/sesame recipe that seems interesting.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Blumenthal is specifically talking about DOP canned San Marzanos but he ends up going with local tomatoes and pressure cooking to get the canned effect. http://www.insearchofheston.com/2013/05/how-to-make-hestons-perfect-in-search-of-perfection-pizza-recipe/

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 15, 2017

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

blixa posted:

I baked some rye bread with dill seed, caraway seed, and fennel seed:

I put some mustard, roasted turkey, tomato, and dill havarti cheese in there:

I toasted the gently caress out of them sandwiches and added Kenji's roast potatoes:

And it was good.

drat that's some pretty bread.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Hopefully the last wintery Sunday dinner for quite some time. Beer braised picnic shoulder, scallion mashed potatoes (champ?) with some doctored braising liquid and collard greens.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Sous vided a thicker than normal grocery store ribeye, plus some local asparagus and Vidalia onion from my produce box this week.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Had some friends over and made casssoulet

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I think the only thing I didn't get on this first plate was mashed potatoes. First year my family's done macaroni & cheese, which might have been the MVP- the chorizo/cornbread stuffing was also up there.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Nice plating! Got a recipe for the chorizo/cornbread stuffing? That sounds excellent.

Thanks! Here's the stuffing- https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/spicy-cornbread-stuffing-with-chorizo-and-sweet-potatoes It's pretty much a complete meal on it's own.

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 25, 2018

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

TheCog posted:

You have a trailing period that makes the link not work, just fyi.

I'm gonna try to make this if i can find fresh chorizo anywhere. Its reasonably hard to come by for some reason.

Fixed, thanks. I seem to remember reading (at Serious Eats maybe?) a very basic guide to subbing fresh chorizo with heavily seasoned ground pork. Honestly there's enough going on with this stuffing that you could sub a pretty basic bulk sausage and just compensate with additional seasoning.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Lazy KBBQ. Sirloin and pork belly, chonggak kimchi, greens with a gochujang-ish dressing.

Nice. Any recipe for the dressing or were you just winging it?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

My butcher got some fancy pork, with a baguette from a local bakery and asparagus from my weekly farm box and a little horseradish aioli.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

where the hell did all the fat cap go in the end

please don't kink-shame

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Raikiri posted:

Thai spiced panko breaded fishcakes and fried rice.

This looks real good. Awesome photo too.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

I made a pizza.

hell yeah

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

tip of fingat

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Double posting

jesus christ that looks tasty

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I also got a nice deal on a NY strip at the butcher today

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

christmas eve: tagliatelle puttanesca, seared scallops and roasted brocoletti

christmas day: fried chicken, macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes & gravy, braised green beans, buttermilk biscuits

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

At first I thought, what weird poo poo are they drinking out of that ceramic mug?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a sip or two of gravy straight

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

I'd like to know more about your bread and baked macaroni specifically, if you'd like to share.

Food Lab on both counts

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/08/the-food-lab-buttermilk-biscuits-recipe.html
cut into rectangles per advice from Binging with Babish, plus a bit more buttermilk than sour cream as I had less sour cream than I though

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/11/sodium-citrate-baked-mac-and-cheese.html
used some various scraps (pepper jack, some random cheddars) to supplement the cheddars in the sauce and a smoked gouda w/ chili pepper in place of the gruyere. also didn't toast the panko as I was short stove space, so I just dotted with butter and grated some pecorino over the top

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

steakhouse at home for New Year's Eve- flat iron, Caesar, baked potato

cassoulet for New Year's Day

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

burged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

camoseven posted:

Duke's is the king of supermarket mayo

fact

My Cherokee Purples are starting to come in, and while I enjoy tomato sandwiches & BLTs with some of the other tomatoes from my garden, these are my favorites. I have literally dreamed about these sandwiches.