Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Cross-post from the sous vide thread... Picked up this amazing Akaushi bavette before the weekend:

Sous vide @ 132 for 2 hours, pan-seared and served with chimichurri:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Beef & Chicken Homemade Teriyaki

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Recipe for the sauce?

It's a recipe that I got from an Asian cooking class at the CIA in NY:

1 Cup Light Soy Sauce
1 Cup Sake
3/4 Cup Mirin
1/2 Cup Sugar (I usually cut this down a bit)
1/2 Cup Grated Apple

Add soy, sake, mirin and sugar to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the grated apple and reduce the heat slightly. Let it simmer for awhile, 10-15m, to thicken a bit. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain.

I then use some of the sauce to marinate the meat before grilling or finishing in a pan, and then thicken the sauce even more by simmering in a pot and adding a little cornstarch slurry. I pour the thickened sauce over the meat before I serve. I also like to add thai red chiles to the sauce with the apples to add some heat to it as well.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

snyprmag posted:

I've made teriyaki a bunch of times and have never heard of the grated apple step. Is it noticeable and worth the effort?

Well, to be fair, I've never tried it without the apple, but I do it with granny smith apples and feel like the tartness adds something to it. I don't like the sauce to be overly sweet so I usually do 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup grated apple which I feel like adds enough of the sweet taste while not being too much.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Sous vide "Slayer" pork chop with apple puree and brussel sprout slaw:

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I made something on Monday:

Honestly, one of the best steaks I have had in a long time. ~2.5lb bone-in Akaushi ribeye, dry-aged, dry-brined, smoked and reverse seared, basted in butter, garlic, shallots, thyme and rosemary.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Literally triggered a pavlovian response.

What are you doing with the rosemary brush there?

Towards the end of the reverse sear (pulled at 115) and during the actual sear, I was basting the steak with garlic, shallots and butter using the rosemary/thyme brush.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Sous vide wagyu petite filet with pasta aglio e olio:

First time making the pasta and it won't be my last. So good and so easy.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

How'd you sear it?

I always sear in a pan, all clad or cast iron, with grapeseed oil. I put the steak in the oil and immediately add a few cloves of garlic and a few sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Sear for ~45s then flip, drop in two tablespoons of butter and begin basting the steak for the 45s on that side.

I usually do the sous vide at 133F for ~1.5-2hrs for most standard cuts– ribeye, strip, filet. For cuts like hanger, flank and flat iron, I usually go a little longer.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
It has been awhile since I made fresh pasta... Agnolotti filled with braised short ribs, ricotta and pecorino finished with a butter and sage sauce with some more pecorino.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

large hands posted:

:eyepop:

did you follow a recipe?

No specific recipes really but I made it after going to Flour + Water in SF: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/agnolotti-dal-plin.html

The pasta was about 2 cups of flour, 2 full eggs, 4 yolks, 1tsp salt and 2tbsp of water. I just made up the filling but I have done braised short ribs several times and they're pretty forgiving. In a dutch oven, I cooked some bacon, removed that and then seared the short ribs and removed those. Then I sauteed some onion, shallots, garlic and carrots before adding red wine and beef broth and scraping the bottom the whole time. Then I added the short ribs and bacon back in along with some fresh thyme and rosemary and cooked that in the oven at 350 for ~2 hours.

When the meat was done, I put the shredded short rib and some of the onion mixture into a food processor to get it nearly pureed and then mixed that with the ricotta and pecorino before putting into a piping bag.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Grilled sichuan crusted beef and chicken with homemade teriyaki and quick pickled carrots, shallots and cucumbers. Buns were store-bought frozen cooked in a bamboo steamer.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Chicken Marsala with homemade spaghetti:

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I went to the store yesterday planning to just get some basics and spotted this thing that I couldn't resist:

~2lb boneless wagyu chuck roast. I'm trying to decide how to cook it and I can't make up my mind. Smoke? Sous vide? Pot roast? What do you think?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Olpainless posted:

Serious eats recipe? And that looks incredible. I'm really tempted to try and make one for Christmas dinner this year.

I made this a year ago for Thanksgiving, and I'm doing it again for the 2nd time for Christmas. It is indeed amazing. I definitely recommend using some bones and scraps to make a turkey broth you can use for a homemade gravy. The turkey is super juicy and flavorful without but gravy always helps.

Also, I agree on maybe crushing the whole peppercorns... People didn't mind them but I think it would be better to crush some fresh peppercorns in a mortar and pestle versus using whole.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Sous vide akaushi bavette (4hrs @ 132F) with sauteed mushrooms and green beans sitting on top of a simple pan sauce.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I made Flour & Water's bolognese and tagliatelle from scratch last night and it was ridiculously good and pretty easy if you have the time. I highly recommend their book.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Ribeye filet (sous vide @ 135 for 2hrs) with roasted sweet potatoes on whipped goat cheese.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Is there any more to the whipped goat cheese besides just whipping goat cheese? That sounds like an amazing veggie sauce,

Goat cheese, a little garlic powder, fresh thyme, lemon zest + juice and a little greek yogurt. It was really good and went well with the sweet potatoes that I seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, turmeric and paprika.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

That's a great idea, did you come up with it yourself?

Sorta. There's a restaurant near me that has a similar dish so I did my best to recreate it but I just winged the recipe and adjusted it to taste as I went. I was pretty happy with it in the end. I will probably up the spice on the sweet potatoes next time because the goat cheese can balance out a good amount of heat.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Made some pad thai. Peanuts, cilantro, and lime will be added at lunchtime tomorrow.

Looks delicious. Did you follow a particular recipe?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

“Sauce:
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1.5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon minced garlic
A few good shakes of chili powder.

Thanks. This looks like a good one and I typically have all of these ingredients ready to go.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Made some delicious shawarma bowls last night using the rub and marinade from here and the white sauce from the Serious Eat's halal cart recipe.

In the bowl, there's meat (flank and chicken thigh), tomatoes, cucumbers, roasted chickpeas, iceberg lettuce, white sauce and sriracha. I'll definitely be making this again.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Dang that looks good. You may have motivated me to finally make that recipe - I’ve had it saved for forever, but always end up skipping it because the recipe list looks long and I’m lazy.

I really had most of it already, and if you follow the recipe for the shawarma seasoning, it makes A LOT. I cut everything in half and I have enough for at least 4-5 more times.

Also, the white sauce is delicious and could go on a lot of things other than this.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Homemade agnolotti with a braised pork, spinach, onion, red wine and parmesan filling in a butter, broth and sage sauce:

72 hour short ribs over mushroom risotto:

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

What temp did you use to get it to cut like a steak like that? I've done a few variations but always done them as falling off the bone, never tried to do a boneless at lower temp.

138F, my new favorite. I have done 140F and 144F at 48 and 72hrs and this is definitely the best I have had them turn out. They sliced pretty easily without completely falling apart but you could still cut them with a fork and still melt you in your mouth.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

It's a really solid basic sauce recipe.

The version I've been using is 3T demerara sugar (because I have a bunch to use up), 3T chili-garlic sauce (Huy Fong), 3T soy, 1t fish sauce, and a half inch or so of ginger, minced.

Reheats real nice too, I use it for meal prep.

This does sound like a good, basic sauce for meal prep. Do you have a link to the original by chance?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Spicy beef bulgogi with kimchi, scallion & cilantro salad, pickled veggies (radishes, cucumbers, jicama and carrots) and coconut rice.

Turned the leftover bulgogi and rice into fried rice the next night.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I made some fried rice with shiitake mushrooms, peas and broccoli topped with Korean marinated (gochujang, mirin, sake, ginger, garlic) hanger steak (sous vide 4hrs @ 132) and peach tea pickled red onions. I will definitely be making all of this again, especially that marinade and the onions.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Wanted to try something a little different so I made this...

Pork shoulder rubbed with brown sugar, salt, pepper and five spice sous vide for 20hrs @ 165 and finished in the oven for 2 hours while basting with soy, worcestershire, honey, butter and sriracha:

Served with sticky rice, lettuce wraps, pickled cucumbers & radishes, fried shallots, ginger & scallion sauce, thai chile + garlic + vinegar sauce and pureed kimchi:

Everything was great but the pork and chile/vinegar sauce were the standouts.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Sous vide (4hrs @ 131F) akaushi under blade steak with sauteed asparagus and roasted buffalo cauliflower:

Under blade is becoming one of my favorite cuts for sure. The flavor and texture for the price is incredible.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I found this wagyu tri-tip for a good price that I couldn't pass up.

Dry-brined in the fridge overnight.

Covered with a santa maria rub.

Sous vide 5hrs @ 132F

Seared in a stainless steel pan with butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Served with a chimichurri and a baked potato:

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

sterster posted:

Right!? Speaking of brining I fell like I should be doing it more instead of just on Turkey Day. I honestly don't know the 1st thing about wet vs dry for which meats and how long. I should do some reading.

I really like the effects of dry brining steak, and it takes so little effort aside from planning. Even if you can only do it for a few hours before you cook it, it's worth it. Overnight is the best though.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Beef teriyaki with sous-vide bavette (~4hrs @ 133F).

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Or some massaman curry?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Homemade meatballs, red sauce and pasta:

Both SE recipes were great but I will definitely be making the red sauce again. It's super easy and delicious... Just takes time.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
Sous-vide hanger steak (130F for 5 hours) with a Korean-style gochujang marinade/sauce, coconut scallion rice, pickled cucumbers + fresno chiles and fried shallots. So good.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

I thought that was ketchup at first and was about to Have Words.

Best ketchup I've ever made.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Still working on my baking. Trying to use up the AP flour so I can get a bag of bread flour.
Made hoagie rolls that didn’t really proof up past the size of baguettes, but made a delicious turkey/ham/provolone sammich for dinner last night.

These look great. Did you follow a specific recipe for the rolls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Smoked & reverse seared Wagyu NY Strip, season with a coffee chile rub and finished with salsa matcha butter. Served with a grilled romaine caesar.