Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
jesus ok rafa you've said enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xabi posted:

I've got a feeling '17 is going to be a good year.

Josh Lyman posted:

Actually I stopped posting because United are poo poo this season and have barely watched a match.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Orkin Mang posted:

that sshit doesnt count. ken rosewall lol. ok. his racket was made of rabbit guts

lol

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

*beats wife*
*wins wimbledon*

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Maybe I can just imagine the last 13 months didn't happen and pretend I'm still a Chelsea fan.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

put both hands in posted:

hello darkness my old friend

*rafa's doped up brain working overtime*

Is this... is this what an emotion feels like?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
undoutably?

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So we're just lying to everyone are we Federer?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol rafa has a combover. dude shave it off

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

:worship:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

*holds trophy with poo poo eating grin*

"I'd would have been fine with losing."

*Rafa's eye twitches slightly*

This is a great speech.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Puckish Rogue posted:

This is a great speech.

rafa is not cool with it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Woah woah woah, "I hope to see you all next year, and if not..."

Retirement?!?!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

yessssss

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Puckish Rogue posted:

This is a great speech.

"Everyone works hard, so I'm not going to shout about it"

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Awesome result.

Dumber rationale from announcers - Djokovic's gluten free diet or Nadal's indomitable will? Both apparently allow you to run for 5+ hours with little fatigue, although Nadal's causes massive hair loss.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
2017 off to a good start

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Woah woah woah, "I hope to see you all next year, and if not..."

Retirement?!?!

dude hes approaching ganfalf levels of old as gently caress

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I've never been this happy to be wrong.

I stopped watching a 0-2, if you were going to tell me in person then that Federer was going to romp back I would have slapped you.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I know he's said in interviews that he wants to play for a few more years but I wonder if now that he's got the 18th if he doesn't hang it up at the end of the year.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
skip the French and go for one last hurrah at Wimby I say

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
That was a good match, it's a great rivalry and I hope this wasn't the last time we hear them bromance each other after a Grand Slam final.

Deserved win for Roger. gently caress Ron Paul! Long live the Fed!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLqyJDJ9rmo&hd=1

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Schlesische posted:

I would have just said Federer has actually been playing relatively badly for 3-4 sets of every match and has been getting away with it because:
Nishikori = Bad Hip
Zverev = Bad player
Stan the Man = Bad Knee

If Nadal is fit and firing, Federer is screwed.

It's a great narrative for a Slam final, but the Geriatric Final is going to be a 5 set win for Nadal.

marsisol posted:

Lol if you think this is lasting longer than 2 hours.

Nadal wins 7-5, 6-2, 6-3 and tennis promptly dies.

Hortism posted:

Goddamit. But credit where credits due, that was some good rear end tennis. RIP Federer #18 I guess.

ChaosReaper posted:

Yea not sure I can watch another Fed rear end kicking from Nadal on Sunday.

nachos posted:

Fed is going to disappoint again :(

ChaosReaper posted:

Well if this keeps up we're getting a Fedal final which means Federer is getting another rear end kicking. I don't really wanna drink that early on a Sunday so that'll be a hard match to watch.

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah. Fed vs Rafa would just be sad to watch. I really have zero belief he could beat Nadal in a major final.

They're still playing but Wawrinka's been crap so far to be honest. Fed's doing enough without peaking. Would be a nice reversal of Wimbledon 2015 if he peaked for the final instead of the semi.

Mmmmmmm

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah I doubted him. I don't even give a fuccccck, still happy he won.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Most Grand Slam titles : 18, next are Sampras and Nadal with 14.
Most major tournament titles (Slams + Masters) : 24, next is Sampras with 19
Most grand slam finals : 28, next are Nadal and Djokovic with 21.
Most major tournament finals : 39, next is Lendl with 28.
Most AO finals : 6, tied with Djokovic.
Most Grand slam semi-finals : 41, next are Djokovic and Connors with 31.
Most AO semi-finals : 13, next is Edberg with 8.
Most Grand Slam quarter finals : 49, next is Connors with 41.
Most AO quarter finals : 13, next is Edberg with 10.
Most matches won on hard court : 675, next is Agassi with 612.
Most titles on hard court : 61, next is Djokovic with 51.
Most Grand Slam titles on hard court : 10, next is Djokovic with 8.
Most wins against top 10 players : 202, next is Djokovic with 180.
Oldest grand slam winner since 1974 : 35 years and 5 months. Next is Agassi with 32 years and 8 months at AO 2003.
Oldest grand slam finalist since 1974, next is Agassi with 35 years and 4 months at US Open 2005.
Most matches won in Grand slams : 307, next is Connors with 233.
Most matches won in the Australian Open : 85, next is Djokovic with 58.
Longest time between first and last grand slam titles (so far) : 13 years and a half. Next is Sampras with 12 years.
First to win 3 different slams at least 5 times. Nobody even won 3 different slams at least 3 times.
First to win 4 different major tournaments at least 5 times.
First to reach the at least 6 times the finals in 3 different grand slams. Lendl, Nadal and Djokovic have had 4 finals in 3 different slams. Note that Federer is at 5 finals in the French Open.
First player seeded #17 (or lower) to win a slam since Pete Sampras in US Open 2002.

http://streamable.com/k2wbi

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Lid posted:

Mmmmmmm

Yep doubted the poo poo out of him and am super happy to have been wrong. I'll eat the biggest humble pie since it means he won the drat thing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lid posted:

Most Grand Slam titles : 18, next are Sampras and Nadal with 14.
Most major tournament titles (Slams + Masters) : 24, next is Sampras with 19
Most grand slam finals : 28, next are Nadal and Djokovic with 21.
Most major tournament finals : 39, next is Lendl with 28.
Most AO finals : 6, tied with Djokovic.
Most Grand slam semi-finals : 41, next are Djokovic and Connors with 31.
Most AO semi-finals : 13, next is Edberg with 8.
Most Grand Slam quarter finals : 49, next is Connors with 41.
Most AO quarter finals : 13, next is Edberg with 10.
Most matches won on hard court : 675, next is Agassi with 612.
Most titles on hard court : 61, next is Djokovic with 51.
Most Grand Slam titles on hard court : 10, next is Djokovic with 8.
Most wins against top 10 players : 202, next is Djokovic with 180.
Oldest grand slam winner since 1974 : 35 years and 5 months. Next is Agassi with 32 years and 8 months at AO 2003.
Oldest grand slam finalist since 1974, next is Agassi with 35 years and 4 months at US Open 2005.
Most matches won in Grand slams : 307, next is Connors with 233.
Most matches won in the Australian Open : 85, next is Djokovic with 58.
Longest time between first and last grand slam titles (so far) : 13 years and a half. Next is Sampras with 12 years.
First to win 3 different slams at least 5 times. Nobody even won 3 different slams at least 3 times.
First to win 4 different major tournaments at least 5 times.
First to reach the at least 6 times the finals in 3 different grand slams. Lendl, Nadal and Djokovic have had 4 finals in 3 different slams. Note that Federer is at 5 finals in the French Open.
First player seeded #17 (or lower) to win a slam since Pete Sampras in US Open 2002.

http://streamable.com/k2wbi

Maybe now people will shut up about Nadal being the GOAT instead of Fed because of their head-to-head record.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The sad thing is that "Never write Federer off" was a lesson I learned like five years ago already, and yet I sort of did it anyway. But I much prefer bracing for bad and being positively surprised than hoping for good and getting crushed, it's a useful defense mechanism.

He really put in a great performance. Rafa wasn't even bad or anything, he played well and was typically clutch on many big points. Federer just held his own from the baseline for once.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

vyelkin posted:

Maybe now people will shut up about Nadal being the GOAT instead of Fed because of their head-to-head record.

Hmmmm seems like Rafa has beat him a lot more though still. Federer the greatest of all time except he lost most times he played this one dude

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

Even when he was a break up in the fifth I still didn't believe Fed was going to win. I had to go and put my son back to sleep when Fed was down 0-30 in his final service game and when I came back Rafa was speaking. I almost threw my remote out the window. Never been so happy to be wrong.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

monkeu posted:

Hmmmm seems like Rafa has beat him a lot more though still. Federer the greatest of all time except he lost most times he played this one dude

23-12

removing Clay, because Nadal is Clay God, the record is 10-10.

when the history is written Federer will always come out ahead because on top of everything else - he is simply the more beloved player

no matter how great Djoker or Nadal get they will never be as loved as Federer and when asomeone is referred to as the Greatest part of it is the human element

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And always

more John McEnroe eating crow

“[Federer will] be a factor for as long as he steps on a court but to win 7 best of five set matches and against at least two of the top 3 guys, that’s going to be extremely difficult.

[…] I’d be surprised if he didn’t get to the quarters, semis and possibly the final of a Major before he quit.

To win one? I personally don’t see that. It doesn’t mean that it’s not going to happen. Maybe he can use that as motivation. I just don’t think that physically at this stage he is going to be able to overcome the hurdles of those younger, hungrier guys.”

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I didn't think he was going to do it several times during the match. If I hadn't had to crawl out of bed to watch the match I might have turned it off when he was a break down in the fifth.

https://twitter.com/AustralianOpen/status/825693554169098241

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
McEnroe is one of the biggest retards in sports.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

oliwan posted:

McEnroe is one of the biggest retards in sports.
He's more tolerable than Chris Evert, but yeah, they're both on ESPN for their accomplishments as AMERICAN players and nothing else. Certainly not for valuable commentary.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

they're both on ESPN for their accomplishments as AMERICAN players
That's a really weird way to put it. They're both among the among more famous players alive and all commentary crews go that route.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spring Break My Heart posted:

That's a really weird way to put it. They're both among the among more famous players alive and all commentary crews go that route.

Maybe in the US, but over here you don't necessarily get ex players in the commentary box because they are usually terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

oliwan posted:

Maybe in the US, but over here you don't necessarily get ex players in the commentary box because they are usually terrible.

Where are you?

In the UK you get explayers commentating all the time. Last year the BBC had Hewitt commentating at Wimbledon and Roddick the year before that (dammit bring him back).

• Locked thread