Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I found it by searching War Nerd in my regular podcast app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

skooma512 posted:

Dan Carlin eat your heart out

really though, RWN could seriously compete with Dan Carlin, especially considering his glacial output

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
that's a good watch. the interview with that mercenary around 15 minutes in... :stare:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
try Know Your Enemy

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
not sure how they square the fascism with outspoken support for Rojava

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Remulak posted:

holy poo poo listen to the Matthew Randazzo episode right now.

:tif:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
What's the deal with Bellingcat? I get that they have a deeply suspicious origin, but they do seem to have some solid reporters - I'm thinking specifically about Robert Evans and his writing about far-right movements, he's the only journo I could name that works for them. What's the deal?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Episode 215, about Oman. Crazy stories in there.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
"why do we have 60 admirals?" lmao

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
the emoji movie line had me rollin

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

R. Mute posted:

forums poster massive idiot
massive idiot v ignorant hick, tonight on cspam the entire worldwide internet

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Digital Jedi posted:

Took me 8 months but I finally listened to every episode. And what a trip that was.

Now I have to find another podcast to complete

Revolutions

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

MeatwadIsGod posted:

lol

Seconding Age of Napoleon but drat I wish they'd upload ad-free versions of the older episodes to Patreon. Also Inward Empire owns and should have a lot of crossover appeal for RWN fans

already listened to two of these and they are quite good. the host would be a great RWN guest

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Annibale eps are all solid gold. Listen to all of his appearances in chronological order.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Nothus posted:

Annibale's Years of Lead episodes are loving wild if you've never heard of it before.

Yes. Venice is insane also

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Nothus posted:

That one was an all-time banger, given how popular that stupid book was at the time.

http://exiledonline.com/a-million-pieces-of-poo poo/

quote:

But then Frey is no expert observer, as he proves in one of the funniest scenes from his nature walks, when he meets a “fat otter”: “There is an island among the rot, a large, round Pile with monstrous protrusions like the arms of a Witch. There is chatter beneath the pile and a fat brown otter with a flat, armored tail climbs atop and he stares at me.”

Now, can anyone tell me what a “fat otter with a flat, armored tail” actually is? That’s right: a beaver! Now, can anyone guess what the “large, round Pile with monstrous protrusions like the arms of a Witch” would be? Yes indeed: a beaver dam!

Any kindergartner would know that, and anyone with a flicker of life would be delighted to see a beaver and its home. But for Frey, a very stupid and very vain man, the “fat otter” is nothing but another mirror in which to adore his Terrible Fate. He engages the beaver in the most dismal of adolescent rhetorical interrogations:

“Hey, Fat Otter.

He stares at me.

You want what I got?

He stares at me.

I’ll give you everything.

Stares at me….”

And so on, for another half-page. You want to slap the sulking spoiled brat. The Fat Otter should’ve slapped him with its “flat, armored tail” and then chewed his leg off and used it to fortify its “Pile with monstrous protrusions.”

lmao

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Human Terrain System

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

coathat posted:

what's the opening song for the podcast? I forgot which episode they said it on.

i think Mark said it was written at their request by a songwriter from west coast but that's all I got

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
It was quite eye opening to hear him describe the non-western parallel sphere of influence that's bound to grow. It makes total sense too - the "developing world" has been in that state for long enough that they're just developed now, and why shouldn't they take advantage of that? Economic belligerence from the US seems like it could only backfire from here out (worse than usual) . India's permissive handling of the Russian shipping fleet, for example.

I was also struck by how Germany has some 20 remaining years of Russian oil dependance before green energy would replace it. With that frame, Putin's choice to attack makes so much more sense. Their leverage will expire soon, so this is their shot at flipping the table.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Happy Underpants posted:

Annibale earned a permanent place in my heart when he described Louis XI of France as, "Kind of a douchebag."

for me it was the day (a Wednesday I think) when he described all of Italy closing down for COVID. i called my boss the next day and told him to get ready to close up shop and he thanked me later

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

genericnick posted:

They should get Hersh on imo

:vince:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Annibale and Carl Zha eps are the best eps. There's a good old one about Chechen military folk music. Any time they talk about poetry is also great - I think there's one about d'Annunzio

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
The episode about the Dhofar Rebellion is wild too. They made mention of this BBC doc about mercs in Oman - or maybe someone posted it on a discussion page? Either way there's some great reporting here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGMX_oBpDKQ

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
well it's definitely offensive to WaPo types

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

AnimeIsTrash posted:

3 episodes this week

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Greg Grandin's broke brained gen-x history pervert energy is amazing. He's right at home on RWN

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx7PLJpoNK0

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
"we have a lot of pedants listening" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

lobster shirt posted:

i would love to know what annibale looks like irl, i bet its awesome

beer gas canister has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Apr 13, 2024