Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Nothus posted:

John is on the latest premium Chapo and it's good.

agreed but holy smokes he has a lot of freudian slips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What are the all time best episodes of this show?

I really liked the "Iran War Scenarios" ep. Do they ever do any episodes on an example of that really happening, where a small country with homegrown tech annihilates a goliath superpower bloated with its own perception of itself?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

dpf posted:

cola do rienzo is crying out for an anibale episode

Every podcast is tbqh

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there a good book about the Years of Lead in English?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there a War Nerd ep on the bronze age collapse?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

A Russian troll farm posted:

it seems that this time sobchak was the one who went over the line

:v:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is there an ep where they talk about Brown Moses? TBH I'm only familiar with criticism of him within the context of this forum, ie that he's a goofy goon whose "analysis" is copied from wikipedia. I'd be interested in what an outsider has to say about his "intelligence service".

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1266203621974294529

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It was, but the guest's voice is really something else, especially combined with the fuzzy connection - I imagined him as a tiny Italian man with a huge mustache from a 1930's cartoon.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I didn’t love the latest RWN on Serbia. it was one of those where I think the guest assumed familiarity with the subject. in particular, she said several times that Serbia could be headed for civil war but it really wasn’t clear why. just because people are fed up with th corruption and increasing authoritarianism of the president?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

like the blink-182 guy is involved in this? this is hollywood, entertainment stuff. it's probably too clever for the u.s. military to come up with, but maybe not too clever for whatever high-priced consultant firm the pentagon hired to develop their new-age recruitment strategies.

Is the Blink 182 psycho CIA or just a weird rich dipshit?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The one episode RWN did on the Thirty Years War was simply not enough. Is there a good podcast that covers it much more in depth?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Fighting Elegy posted:

Just started listening to this podcast and was wondering if there is a list of best episodes for the newbies? I really liked the Bowe Bergdahl episode and "songs of defeat" episode was nice to listen to some of while cooking. Not sure where to go from here cause there's so many eps and my podcast app doesn't show descriptions for the episodes.

#116, The Imjin Wars, or Japan's Invasions of Korea 1592-1598, is an underrated classic. It's an incredible story for a war that I had never even heard of previously.
#174, War of the Triple Alliance, is the episode which got me hooked, and another crazy story that is essentially unheard of in the anglosphere.
The Venice series with Annibale are all great, as are the Years of Lead.
edit: also the recent 1993 Russia Coup four-parter is excellent

Ramrod Hotshot has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Mar 9, 2021

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Bumping this thread as the latest episode was very good. Pener mentioned they might make it free, if they don't I can pm you the episode.

yeah. Mark's story about his experience with the ADL deep state was incredible. Not a surprise, but I thought they were just a lobbying group. Well, they are, but drat.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It's funny how obviously giddy John is for the entire carrier fleet to get utterly annihilated by Iranian or Chinese rockets/drones. But you know, same

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I really hope in the Taiwan series with Carl Zha they get to a "China war scenarios" episode, similar to what John outlined both on RWN and on a guest appearance on Chapo w/r/t Iran.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Ugh I don't care about Russiagate

I know Mark has a chip on his shoulder about it but please talk about anything else

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I don't think they understand that we don't really care if the pisstape is real, only that the idea of it is very funny

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Algund Eenboom posted:

The korean war memorial in dc is so loving stupid looking lol

lmao korean war vets stay losing

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea Revolutions is most likely next.
Only 228 episode!

It's good, I just finished the English Revolution (Civil War) and skipped ahead to the 1830 July Revolution

Very similar vibe to Age of Napoleon, although that one is better

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

i say swears online posted:

yeah lol that's a bizarre choice. french and haitian revolutions round out the trio of Best Revolutions with 1918

Just listened to those on Age of Napoleon. I'll come back to em, though it's really going to be hard to hear about the Haitian Revolution again

shirts and skins posted:

HI I'm Nathaniel Lloyd host of historical blindness and I'm here to suddenly interrupt your podcast with the vocal tones of a man in a trenchcoat jacking off outside your window

Haha goddamn. Let's just say thank god Everett started an ad free patreon, though goddamn does he need to put all the early episodes on it.

It's not only that Nathaniel Lloyd sounds like a white utility van pedophile, it's that he's advertising a game that sounds best suited for four year olds

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The Imjin Wars (#116) is one of my favorite eps because it's an amazing story about something I'd never heard of before. Great guest too, Richard Kim. Wish they'd have him back more often.

But yeah, Annibale is the RWN GOAT.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think the latest episode is required listening for understanding why the US and Ukraine are so hellbent on using this “invasion” as as an excuse to stop NordStream 2. I didn’t realize the existing pipeline went through Ukraine, from which tariffs form a huge part of the Ukrainian economy.

Makes the idea that Russia would invade right now, for some reason, even more absurd

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

They really do need a solid guest with strong expertise in at least one region of Africa.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The impression I get is they want to have it both ways regarding Roman colonization and savage wolf warriors.

The latin/slav combo is a rare one, of course they should play it up

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

i say swears online posted:

romanians aren't slavs lol

I know that, but Romanian is in the slavic sprachbund

and even if that's not actually true, they've got a similar vibe lol

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I listened to the latest episode twice. I like this guest even if he ends up being wrong, and like others have mentioned he contradicted himself a few times. He still made a strong case that this thing is going on for the long haul because no one can or has to back down, perhaps least of all Russia

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Just realized I haven't gotten the newsletter in six months, despite being a patreon subscriber. How else do you get the newsletter?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

Calling the attack helicopter the Jamarcus Russell of 20th century warfare is an elite-tier Dolan line

Yeah, references to NFL draft failures from 15 years ago was not something I ever expected to hear from John

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Kinda looks like Bubbles if you zoom in

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

War Nerd Tropes:

John tells the A-10 story
John says surface ships are death traps
Crecy and Agincourt discussed as one event
John talks about his latest illness or mishap
Mark talks about a family member's latest illness or mishap
John praises Rojava
Both hosts talk about how much they don't know about Asia and Africa
"American Glasnost"
"Back when we were at the Exile/Pando"
The evil of the British Empire is discussed

love my old man podcast

the most recent one with the rolling stone guy is really good btw

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Annibale's back!!

I love the guy but man can he go on a tangent.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Mark is such an Xer lol

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1578426556883427331

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Annibale should be the Mario voice actor

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

also he called him the best king France ever had

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Instead he got to hit rock bottom addicted to speed in Kentucky,

what happened here lol

also, didn't expect them to get so gossipy about matt taibbi. must be a lot of bitterness there

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

an hour and forty minutes of Annibale talking about nukes. it’s Christmas in June

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Good ep with Ben Aris, even if a lot of it was a rehash of previous appearances.

Though I think his line of "the counter offensive hasn't even begun yet!" is going to become a rallying cry in western media as these "probing attacks" yield very little for considerable loss.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Really good guest, I hope they get him back on.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

i like how anibale now sounds he’s talking into a pro mic set up rather than. a couple of tin cans on a string on the earlier eps

agreed, but earlier it was fun to imagine that when he talked about Italians on the eastern front in ww2 he was one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I really hate how the new guest keeps harping on the invasion of Hungary and Guyana being the "ugliest incidents" of the Cold War. I know what he's getting at but it's impossible for me to not think of Korea & Vietnam, or Afghanistan.

to me the closest comparison is Indonesia, which is pretty indisputably worse than what happened in Guyana, and this guest seemed to have no awareness of it.