Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Ready to fume about West Coast's upcoming 4th quarter fade out

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

thank you stkilda, did melbourne a big favour

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Adelaide/GWS grand final would be OK, two fresh teams, Adelaide winning would be the only good result tho.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

So I guess you just can't tackle players anymore

Perfectly fine from puopolo, BS free kick

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Franklin is going to get to 1000 career goals. Only needs four more goals to get to 850 so he'll get there after finals this year.

After that he just needs two more very good seasons and a couple of 'career winding down' seasons and he'll get there with ease. Pretty amazing considering how much footy has changed and how rare kicking bags is now.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

http://www.liveladders.com/AFL/

:f5:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

hahahahahahaah i love eagles dick om nom nom

-umpires

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Question, does the AFL give any sort of compensation to teams losing a free agent of that magnitude? Last guy I remember moving like that was Buddy, but I can't remember if the Hawks got anything for him leaving.

Yes. They will get a first round pick at an absolute minimum, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the middle of the first round, 10~12.

Compensation is given at the AFL's discretion, but they have some sort of formula that feeds into it (based on things like the players age and the value of their new contract).

What is kinda poo poo about compensation picks is that all other clubs lose by having their draft position moved back, despite having nothing to do with the trade.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Ahahahaha eat a dick Richmond

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Below the knees contact is such a garbage free. Always penalises the player going harder at the contest and it's crap

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I hate that Richmond won and I hope they lose in the prelim

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

lmao eat a dick Essendon

It's a bit lame that Sydney are on the same side of the draw as Adelaide, we're probably gonna get robbed of the best grand final matchup

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

North Melbourne are right up there with a a couple of NRL clubs in terms of not having a large and distinct enough geographic area to support a professional sports team in a high end national competition. That has always been their problem, and with the best will in the world I'm not sure it will ever stop being their problem.

I sorta get what you're saying, but wouldn't that apply to Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton, St Kilda, etc? They're all small inner-city suburbs which arguably fall under "Melbourne" as a region (the master club :getin:).

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

why do people care so much about guernseys

i mean i love the red and the blue but if we win in our clash strip i dont care

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Richmond in the grand final? Gross.

Go Adelaide.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

The Deadly Hume posted:

VWFL grand final's just started. Go Dees!

It's real boring

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Hehehehe heartbreak #1 this week

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Cotchin gets a Brownlow when he didn't actually win it, then gets off suspension to allow him play in a Grand Final.

Paddy potentially about to get a Brownlow taken away from him due to suspension...

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

God all the hype around the Tigers is just tiresome.

Last year when the doggies got in it was like "Yay Doggies! It'd be great if you won :unsmith:"... all the crap around the Tigers this year is like they've already won the drat thing. Listening to SEN this morning, I heard the full Tigers theme song about 5 times in half an hour. Ugh.

Go Adelaide, I hope you win by 100 points.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

racing identity posted:

He doesn't actually have a choice. He said he wants to go to Victoria, North absolutely have the cap room to trump Melbourne's offer, and are in the market for a big fish after losing on Dusty, Kelly etc

Players still hold the right to veto trades. He can say no to any deal that Adelaide put together other than going to Melbourne. He'd then get delisted and head into the pre-season draft and Adelaide get nothing.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'm still mad about Richmond winning the flag, it sucks.

Not nearly as salty as Adelaide fans are about Lever though, holy poo poo.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Spedman posted:

Apparently Melbourne and Freo were talking a trade for Hogan, Melbourne asked for Neale, Freo walked away.

Clearly false because Freo would be incredibly stupid to knock back that trade.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

That is a shocking deal for Melbourne.

We are having an awful off-season. Year ended badly with the debacle of missing the finals, and has been nothing but poo poo since.

Not happy at the moment.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/20985499/knightmare-draft-wrap-bonar-stephenson-shine-draft-combine

"Bonar's rise continues"

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

So Port get a really good 'no fuss' player to bolster their midfield (Rockliff) and possibly two 'cream on top' players (Motlop, confirmed, and possibly Watts). Could be very dangerous next year.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Melbourne's trade period still sucks. The whole Watts thing has been handle terribly.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

IMO, these for 'homesickness' give massive support to the idea of raising the draft age, or enforcing a year out of high school like they do in the NBA.

The AFL should fund and set up a national 20 or under comp. This would let kids finish high school without the pressure of drafting. They can then play a year of football while trying other adult' things -apprenticeships/tafe/uni/hospitality/whatever.

This gives them a year where they can adjust to traveling, they can grow up a bit, maybe even move out of home. They can develop physically and mentally so they are much better prepared for AFL football.

The AFL could then put a lottery in place to eliminate tanking - the rationale being that clubs will have a much better idea of what they're drafting, which would make the top picks more valuable, which would give more incentive to tank - so a lottery would avoid that.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

If Gibbs goes to Adelaide, do people feel they can challenge for the flag again?

Midfield was always a question (even though the Crouch boys stepped up), but Gibbs can take the spot of some hack like Mackay and improve it immensely. I'm sure Lever's absence can be filled, maybe not quite as good but someone decent enough to play that role. Same for Cameron.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Essendon turn 11 and a future 3rd into Stringer, Saad and Smith.

gently caress

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Solemn Sloth posted:

:colbert:

I've never seen it laid out that way before. God we're awful. I forget there was a year we won 2 games.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I still hate that Richmond won the GF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I think it's good leadership by the Melbourne players to stand up about the camp. It's not saying they don't want to train hard, it's that they don't want to jeopardise their season with injuries occurred by training in unusual ways.

Look at the way the NFL athletes train - nothing fancy, just grueling days in the gym and on the practice field which gets them fit AF and ready for football.

I've watched videos of some of the training sessions going climbing up mountains etc... Petracca got slammed for hurting his foot dunking a basketball in the off season, but then the club could make them walk a track that is prime for ankle breaking when they could just be training on an oval?

• Locked thread