Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Oddly enough, I bought a CPAP machine from Aliexpress. I have a bad snoring problem and it was cutting into my sleep. The same unit here in Canada from a local dealer is about $1700 and I got the exact unit for about $500 with a mask and everything. I titrated it myself and it's been working reliably for over a year now. There is good stuff on Aliexpress but it's usually the less popular stuff that is actually any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Cpaps aren't paid by your insurance after a sleep study?!

Cmon, your body is too stupid to breathe, why do have to pay for that

Like Facebook Aunt said, not all insurance pays for it. While I get paid well at my job, my insurance is bottom of the barrel.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

blatman posted:

What's a decent cheap small bluetooth gamepad I can use for playing SNES RPGs on my phone? I'm browsing now trying to find one but I wouldn't mind some goon input

The 8bitdo zero is super small and bluetooth. might be a bit too small though.

[edit] cant find it on ali, though I'm sure you can get it on amazon. 8bitdo controllers are nice and not too expensive

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 9, 2019

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Hogo Fogo posted:

disproving gays are radioactive is the best reason to buy a geiger counter

It's called 'gaydiation'. FYI

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Humphreys posted:

Found a cool project for an Astrotracker to take better photos of stars. In my searches for lenses I found this monster which is totally terrible for night photography but I kinda want to buy it anyway and find a use. Long range wildlife etc.

SOrry it's not Ali - but it is probably drop-shipped from an Ali seller

For about the same price you can get a mirror lens with 500mm focal length from Ali. The nice thing is that they're not 2 feet long. The Bokeh on them is a little weird on them due to the optics. I actually like the bokeh for night photography. That said, I've never bought the Ali ones, just ones from Ebay 10 years ago.

[Edit again] I found 900mm ones as well

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841931502.html

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 14, 2020

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I bought a few trinkets of Trump propaganda off aliexpress just to hang on to for the future. I have a hunch that they won't be valuable but they will be interesting to look back on.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

GutBomb posted:

I bought two of those incredibly cheap Lockpicking sets with a transparent lock, one for me, one for my 15 year old, thinking it would be a cool activity to do with them and a fun thing to learn. Well, within 5 minutes of receiving them we were both proficient enough to open the included lock, and with about 10 more minutes of practice on all of the padlocks and door locks around our house we have come to the conclusion that locks are complete bullshit. Lockpicking is SO EASY.

Fun though. Highly recommended.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mM6EaUH

Yeah, most consumer grade locks are super easy and can be raked open in 10 seconds. Try some different locks like wafer locks (still easy but different) or commercial door front locks. Also, those Quikset locks that can be rekeyed are loving extremely difficult to pick, in fact I've not been able to pick one even when I needed to get in to my brother in laws house when they locked themselves out.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Betazoid posted:

My husband shamed me out of using it much by pointing out that factories use Uighur slave labor and Ali sellers especially likely follow no real labor protections. I think I've bought like 3 things in the last six months.

To be fair though the same goes for anything you buy in a store or on Amazon. The only difference is the number of middlemen. Aside from some larger ticket items or things that are too expensive to ship across the world, you're buying from those poo poo factories in China.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Also, I ordered an LCD module from Ali, one piece. Looked at the listing again, it's for 200 pieces but priced as 1. Kind of curious to see if I'm going to receive 200 pieces or just one though I don't need 200 pieces but we'll see. Sometimes it's from a larger business that has workers package and send everything that's on the list.

They seem to have sold 16 lots, not sure what's going on. lol
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000328080949.html

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

goatface posted:

In a landfill somewhere.

May as well cut out the middleman

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I had completely forgotten about DX until it was mentioned here. I can't even remember when I last used it. Looks like it's a bit more specialized than aliexpress and there isn't the variety of stuff.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

subpar anachronism posted:

Is there a better place to shop if I want to buy multiples of items, mostly home stuff? Ali's exponentially growing shipping for even the most lightweight items are killing me.

I've found that sometimes ebay is better for multiples of many of the same things since shipping is more straightforward in multiples. Sometimes on Aliexpress I'll increase the quantity until it hits that magic jumping number, refresh the page, and then make multiple orders at 1 pc under the quantity that makes the shipping jump.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Vlaphor posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ZoEobMA.mp4

This has to exist somewhere on Aliexpress right? (turn sound on)

You could use ws2812 strips, an Arduino and a power supply. Looks neat but I wonder about having a bunch of cotton batting on the ceiling.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32682015405.html

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

SubNat posted:

I see my messenger bag/shoulder bag has gotten stuck in a groundhog-day scenario.
Only the checkmarked events are registered if I look the package's tracking up here in norway.

If I had to guess I imagine maybe the label's gotten hosed up or something.
( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968469635.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3cc94c4ddATzXe For anyone curious, it seems like a neat little bag for a drink bottle and some misc stuff to carry around.)

Depending on your local system, you can try entering the tracking number into your local mail system's tracking service and find it there. It looks like it's been handed off to the local system and there may be no more reporting through that system.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed but when logging in sometimes they use a CAPTCHA. Thing is, the CAPTCHA only has like 6 or 7 variants, I just pull one down from autofill that I've completed before. It's supposed to be generated on the fly isn't it?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Hirayuki posted:

I had a weird seller interaction: They messaged me asking if I'd received my order, and if I would please give them a five-star review. I double-checked, and yes, I'd received the order and put in my review two months ago this Monday. I told them as much and they replied, "ok, thanks". :confused:

The kicker? That product was no longer available.

A lot of these sellers just sell poo poo they come across, once it's sold out they never sell it again. They just contacted you since good feedback is valuable to them as sellers.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Automated message perhaps?

So I'm a little confused with Ali right now. Everything I have on the site that I can see, including past orders and payment methods, has my address correct. I used PayPal for 2 orders this time and both my PayPal as a whole and the two orders put through have my address correct. The slightly obfuscated address in my tracking has NE instead of NW for where the package is going on both. Different stores. There is no NE for my address so it shouldn't be a weird automatic change. The delivery address it states is correct so I'm guessing they will show up, but I have no idea where the wrong bit came from.

How did you use Paypal on Ali?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Comes up in the payment methods for me. Maybe it’s relatively new, or only certain stores can accept?

Ah, interesting, gonna have to try that out. I hate having to pay with credit card.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

So I ordered a 12" Mitutoyo digital vernier from Ali. Looks like the old style models or versions exclusively for the chinese market. Paid $114CAD for the 12 inch which is about a 1/3rd the cost of buying one here.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33010870599.html

We'll see how it arrives and if it's not some deceptive knockoff version.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

VictualSquid posted:

I was looking for cooking supplies, and saw this in the recommendations. NSFW.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002534778972.html

Say what you want but there's no one I trust more as a seller than the Shop5870636 Store to deliver my penis cake goods.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

The Claptain posted:

I bought the 6" one last year. I can't tell if it's a knockoff or not (probably is, the stamps on the certificate of calibration look printed instead of stamped), but it's well built, reliable and accurate.

So yes, the vernier came and the build quality is OK but it is definitely a knockoff. A well done knockoff but a knockoff nonetheless. For the price, it'll work. There are better Chinese verniers for the price though. The Shahe brand isn't too bad for anyone that's looking.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, "Genuine Leather" is a regulated term of art, and it means "the shittiest garbage we can legally call leather"

Just like A-grade beef

When I was a kid I had a pair of shoes that stated very clearly "Genuine Artificial Leather"

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

If you have a decent android phone just buy a good BT controller or even use your Xbone or a PS4 controller and play emulators on your phone.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

stephenthinkpad posted:

Minority Report UI on every ali merchandise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ4KxaWraJc

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Huh I always thought furbies spoke a made up language anyway.

Is Russian really a language? A form of communication sure, like meowing or guttural moans, but not language. No, I don't think it is and I won't hear any different.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Any other Canucks getting a lot of poo poo returned by the logistics company? I've bought a few things recently that look like they're on their way but are actually returned to sender. Very odd.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

(Contains razor blades)

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Opening a bottle with a lighter is a trick that should be taught to every child while they're still in school.

I agree but who tf has a lighter on them anymore?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

By popular demand posted:

I'll probably repurpose an old sock as a carrier and hang it on a nail.

E: how bad of an idea is this drill bit adapter for a dremel?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000063865722.html

Those aren't bad if they're made well enough but the ones I've tried are usually off-center. The collet ones are bit more of a pain but they're usually made reasonably true.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

stephenthinkpad posted:

Hi goons, does Ali sell third party drill/tools that run on the DeWalt 20v max battery?

I just got a building indoor garage that has no power hook up. Is there some kind of string of LED lights I can connect to a DeWalt battery?

Wouldn't it be easier to get a portable power source from a local hardware store. Or even use this with a car battery? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2054310314.html

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

everdave posted:

I use an assortment of knockoff Ali and Amazon Makita battery tools along with real ones and have had good results

What about the chargers? How are they?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Is paper that expensive that you need to reuse a notebook?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Cocaine Bear posted:

Hey baby, before we get started pop a few of these.

"What are they? Well they're the usual oval office Shrink Tide Spray pills hon."

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Heffer posted:

What's the absolute cheapest I can get pens? It's for bar trivia handouts so quality is not a given.

Don't buy them from Ali, go to a dollar store or something and get a bag of pens for like 2 dollars.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

If you want a cheap, useful and nearly disposable light that is simple, get these guys. I bought a bunch years ago and people around the shop are still using them 8-9 years later. They have a magnet on one end that needs to be glued in better but once you do they serve their purpose.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003813539968.html

Having a super bright led flashlight is nice but when it comes to emergencies or just fixing poo poo, having a few of these around are super helpful. Plus, the switch that controls the light doesn't drain the battery the way a lot of the LED flashlights on Ali do.

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 20, 2022

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Are they even described in the Bible? I thought it was more of a "Bible: The Expanded Universe" thing like Dante's inferno.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

You'd almost be better of making an antenna that fits in your hand or goes in your sleeve or something. Some way to externally power the lights. Even the smaller batteries would only last like 3 hours at 10ma current draw and are comparatively huge.

e: A technique I've seen before to reduce the profile of a battery in a device is to use a flat cell battery and make a cutout in the PCB with flat sheet metal tabs that make contact with the battery. Old Japanese calculators use that technique for the super flat membrane calculators.

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 17, 2022

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

stephenthinkpad posted:

Search "bt mo3 player" there are plenty of hits. Some take sd card.

holy poo poo! using 'mp3' just fucks the results, mo3 actually works! How the hell does that happen?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Liquid Chicken posted:

AliExpress has got you covered for Halloween masks...or if you want to rob a bank or something....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/325...612883979%21gdf

What a loving dickhead that guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I suspect that a lot of their advantage in the market was due to the fact that you could get almost anything shipped from China for very little. I also suspect that a lot of sellers found their sales going down once shipping had to be paid at closer to market rates hence why there are a lot of sellers using fake postage to send stuff.