Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Someone has gone into the airlock? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baron Porkface posted:

Where do missiles, swarm missiles, and torpedos fit into the combat ecosystem?
I've been trying out a couple of swarm missiles on half my cruisers and while I don't know how much PD the enemy used they sure tore them a new one.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

give me individualist vs collectivist chat over this loving garbage any day
Individualists only care about their own FTL preference while collectivists care more about what's best for the game as a whole, and how hyperlanes fit that perfectly.

:v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Technical Analysis posted:

If you don’t see that 10k coming, either they’ve got jump drives, or you goofed.

If that 10k comes while your fleets are split, then you converge on that enemy fleet.

You should be able to see that fleet coming and set up a trap or get your other fleets there in time.
Or you just don't split your fleet and use it as a cudgel against the other doomstacks and save yourself a ton of useless effort.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If splitting up fleets is going to be the new thing the UI will probably need to be improved to work with it. You need to easily be able to send newly constructed ships to reinforce one particular fleet without a lot of excessive clicking and more importantly it needs to be easier to select your fleets. Currently they get drowned out as the outliner lists every freaking 1 military ship fleet that's heading to join up with a bigger force. Reinforcement ships like that should not show up in the outliner at all, unless they suddenly lose their order and become idle.

Libluini posted:

Another way of scouting enemy fleets is using pirates and other poo poo as honey traps: Leave 1-2 around, and the AI will send out their fleet to clear them sometimes. Then presto, you can observe their fleet in the act!
That's extremely situational and only works if there actually is something like that between your borders (not to mention you have to be lucky to spot when they engage). I have NONE of those things near a stinky hive I want to kill. I have not the slightest hint of what they are using and the only way to find out is to declare war and see what their doomstack-fleet has when it shows up. Since its late game it would also take ages to refit my ships with complete new weapon and shield/armor loadouts.

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 2, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

New FTL stuff is very cool.

Truga posted:

I'm assuming this is like the spaceship alpha centauri project in civilization, but with expensive megastructure colony ship instead.

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/918476755861688320
I really like the symbols to easily spot what's a science vessel and what's a constructor ship.

binge crotching posted:

All this talk about ai controlled fleets makes me want a dlc that turns Stellaris into Majesty. Let me put bounties on systems I want to be visited, planets I want invaded, and so on. Fleets would wander wherever they want, and then if I want them to hit a specific spot I would just set a large bounty there and the admirals would beeline for it.
I'm melting! :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What was will be.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

After I had conquered some silly FE (xenophiles?) I noticed that one of their planets was named Sanctuary and it was full of all kinds of alien species. Which I processed into meatloaf. Was it some kind of ark thing?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

They were preserving species from the past and you ate them. I bet you're the sort of coworker that eats labeled food in the break room fridge.
I would never do that! Maybe something involving man-sized kitchen appliances however...

Fray posted:

Sounds like an event I got where an FE wanted some of my people for a preserve of sorts.
Ah, that would explain it. They wanted to preserve other species for the future lol, almost like they knew they would get conquered by some space rear end in a top hat. Turns out they should have been more concerned about their own species. :yum:

I don't care what anyone says, xenophobe is the best. :allears:

Poil fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 10, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Edit: I seem to have a really weird bug where if I see a huge fleet battle, if I zoom out, my galaxy map is absolutely covered in exploding spaceships.
That's just the awesome power of your fleet breaking space and time. :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That is worse. :gonk:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Civilian ships are gone from the ship designer? :woop:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you consider a cap on how large fleets can be too. Why put weak ships in your battle fleets instead of keeping one or more of transport fleets with maxed out transport capacity?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or they could do what other 4x space games have done and just give all ships space for ground troops depending on their size.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Wiz read our ideas and is panic implementing them.
More likely to be panic face palming and vomiting all over his screen. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

If he's face palming and vomiting at the same time then how is the vomit supposed to reach his screen? You've ruined my immersion as badly as Wiz's palm-deflected projectile vomiting ruined everything to the immediate left and right of him.
Just... hold the hand in from the side?

Or is that not a proper face palm? It does still put the palm over most of the face. :ohdear:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

imweasel09 posted:

Idgaf about the portraits but those ships look like knock off star destroyers so I'm 100% in for this.
Knockoff star destroyers to go with the knockoff federation bases? I approve. :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Platonicsolid posted:

Too bad my Cybrex chain is stuck at 4/6. Haven't even seen any of the 'we found artifacts we missed earlier' events pop up.
Ah don't worry. Most likely the found artifact event won't actually spawn any new anomaly anyway. Last time I saw it it claimed to be on a planet I had colonized. I think I had the event three times that run but not a single one appeared.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OGS-Remix posted:

I think there's a bug with the "new" precursor events popping up. You need to select a science ship to actually see the "new" anomaly to explore; if you're selecting something else it won't show up.

I've definitely taken more care in remembering the system name of the new anomaly though.
That could be it. But I'm very sure I tried looking with a science ship or using the view mode that enables all the clutter. Should be easy to load up the save tomorrow and check.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if hit&run battleships with long range weapons will be useful in the next patch. Just a few of them so they get a solid fire rate boost to blast away some enemy ships in the opening artillery fire and using their health and armor to survive long enough to trigger the retreat. Causing damage without taking losses. I kinda doubt it, and it's all armchair theorycrafting anyway but you never know. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

gently caress transport ships. Lemme ferry my troops on my battleships. :argh:
Yes! No microing around transport ships. No freaking modules taking up space and losing a lot of combat prowess which means you just reinvented transports except more steps involved in making them.

Imperium Galactia 2 did it right (never played the first game). All ships could carry troops (bigger ships could carry more) and you could add modules instead of something better for extra space if you wanted but as far as I could tell it was pointless when you could just add another good ship instead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless someone were to break into their office to upload it early. :ninja:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It depends on the mod but as long as it's not too extreme it will probably work fine, just remember to backup your save.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In the grim darkness of the far future there will be an update.

And how much do you think you'll be able to play before the first hotfix anyway? :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

It's going to be amazing. People already upset about the big changes will be raging hard about the various show-stopping bugs and issues that take a couple updates to fix. But the rage will be real, and hilarious.
My ships are powered by tears.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I would like to be able to reorganize poo poo myself in the planet side bar and the diplomatic list.
Yes! Yes! This so much! Also in EU4 please.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That does look pretty drat sweet. I assume it comes with different hull modules too? For titanic carrier or titanic picket ship. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fixed forward and unable to rotate freely like a turret does. So you have to turn the whole ship to aim towards something.

Like this terrible illustration:

Poil fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 8, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aleth posted:

Fanatical Purifying mirror-Blorg?
Where would they even grow their goatees? :gonk:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Is livestock only a Hivemind option? It seems so much handier than genociding the alien, and you can end up with a pretty rich and varied diet.
Nope. You can also do it as long as you are some form of xenophobe, which is the main reason why I can't play as anything else. :yum:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Will this finally involve a way to see what your strike craft did? Damage to enemy ships, enemy strike crafts shot down and so on?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

Isn't this the same poo poo that Paradox had removed earlier?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1253614450&searchtext=

quote:

Full replacement of all non-european human portraits as well as an edited name list to include only European-esque first and last names
:hitler:

gently caress that shithead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GotLag posted:

Do livestock slave pops all die off after a certain time or do they linger forever?
Livestock is keeping and breeding them like cattle. Probably involves branding them and competitions to produce the fattest and so on too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

For some reason all of a sudden I want a variation of the event about the alien music performer.

Except instead of that, it people in your species discover an ancient game from a neighbouring alien race, about someone they call "the god emperor" and his quest to purge the galaxy of all alien life. It is surprisingly popular and has spawned a remarkable wave of architectural and cultural changes in your empire.

Basically it turns you into a civiliazation of people who loving love 40k, not actual 40k imperials but 40k imperial cosplayers. Who genocide the galaxy for a laugh.
What percentage of mineral and energy loss would you get from all the miniatures?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Numismancer posted:

What are people's favorite battleship builds? Spinal-mount weapon bows for BS, carrier core, ??? stern?
I usually build my battleships to either have one spinal mount fly zapper and the rest artillery or 3 carrier modules with the leftover slots being plasma. No idea if it's a good idea but it seems to work. Two bombers and one fighter with a cruiser variant also supplying a fighter so it balances up. It's all guesswork for me. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I can't help it, I love that kind of achievement names https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnP5iDKwuwk

• Locked thread