Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's 1.5 bringing?
A whole lot. Here are the dev diaries we've gotten so far, and there have been a bunch of tweets by Wiz about even more things.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-54-ethics-rework.987286/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-55-unity-and-traditions.988693/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-56-ascension-perks.994061/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-57-species-rights.995302/

Also great OP, but we should go with a different title IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Dog Kisser posted:

Next species mod is up! Meet The Lovers, a gross shapeshifting fungal colony thing that makes itself look like all the other races.
I showed it earlier, and the gimmick is basically that it has every other race in the game as phenotypes, so all the pops and leaders and scientists are randomized between 90+ different animated portraits. It's pretty weird looking in practice!
This is rad as hell and I will be downloading it as soon as I get off work.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Little Garry Parrish posted:

It's probably outside the intended scope of the game but dang I wish there was civilian traffic and trade and pirates that do something besides camp certain systems.

I've guess the new DLC will add more stuff to build and some more policies but like. I don't really see that making the core game more fun as much as just giving out more window dressing.
There is a neat mod that adds civilian freighter traffic, but it absolutely kills performance. I imagine it would be much the same if Paradox tried to implement it, sadly. Probably the best we can hope for is bonuses and events related to it that don't have to be modeled on the map.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Conskill posted:

I almost wish unity trees rewarded spreading out picks instead of going all in, because I love the Harmony adoption bonus and I'd dip one point into the tree for that alone if it didn't screw with my ascension perks. Happy pixelmen are productive pixelmen.
This is one of the things Civ: Beyond Earth did right: having a number of civic picks at a particular tier gives unique bonuses distinct from any specific tree. I hope Stellaris implements something like that at some point.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

PoptartsNinja posted:

Dyson Spheres will never be competitive with habitats.

For the cost of a Dyson Sphere you can build 14 habitats with a maximum potential power generation of 1,540 energy, and they'd be done in a fraction of the time. I don't know how to balance that, honestly. Making habitats smaller or reducing the power generation of their special building would just delay the inevitable.

I kind-of want Voidborn to be its own ascension path like genetics and psionics: take voidborn and you learn how to colonize systems rather than planets, letting you pick which planets to place space colonies around and which to strip-mine from orbit, but perhaps slowly losing planetary habitability as you adapt to living exclusively in space. It'd be a different playstyle where you don't directly manage pops but manage systems with colonies or space-mining operations perhaps producing food or minerals or energy based on their population, but I also think it'd be very difficult to integrate back into normal play.

Being able to play a species whose souls aren't weighed down by gravity would still be fun, though.
I'm not saying Dyson Spheres couldn't use a buff/habitats a nerf, but keep in mind that habitats require building colonies and growing pops, greatly increasing your research and unity costs. The situation is not pure energy generation math.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

double nine posted:

The problem is that the colony management system is too micro-management busywork and needs a rework, and I worry that by adding to the system, paradox is going locking in the current system. Personally I wish that planets were managed more like EU4's provinces, with a building added to every once in a while instead of constantly, and pops were interacted with more through edicts and politically themed systems like vicky II's elections.

But I understand that dev time is limited and there are thousands of nerds pulling in different directions.

e:^^^^^^ did not see it, will investigate
This is an understandable thing to be worried about, and it may turn out to happen, but Paradox games can and do change systems radically sometimes. EU4's building system has gone through at least two paradigm shifts since launch, then there's Institutions, and CK2's tech system is much different too. The work done on them previously didn't prevent huge overhauls.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Would be nice if they added in civilian ships, at least cosmetically as eye candy, to help liven up your systems. Especially your most heavily developed core ones.

Sky Shadowing posted:

This was on their roadmap but I have a feeling getting performance sorted is a higher priority.

Cosmetic ships are nice but late-game has terrible performance as is, I can't imagine adding dozens of little ships on top of that will do anything good for performance.
There is a cool mod that adds civilian ships (link), but at least on my computer it totally kills performance. Very sad. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

PiCroft posted:

I'm pumped for Apocalypse. I hope they have some good variety of choice for megamurder weapons.

I just want the ability to say "Good. Deploy the Dessicator"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDB2mgT5qfc
Same, but the ability to say HALT THE FLOW OF TIME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f77k9XeM7V8

• Locked thread