Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's true. The title defines the culture of the thread, and the thread cannot continue until the title reaches consensus.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
War wouldn't be so tedious if the ground game didn't constantly suck. Are there any mods to skip it entirely? Maybe make planets into ships, or make starports more dangerous and count as the planetary defense?

I would love a mod that let you give planets and starports missiles and fighters and made them part of a fleet combat. Or maybe make orbital defenses all individual stations that could be destroyed and have the planet be automatically occupied so long as the HP was at zero and there was a ship in orbit. Toss in a few random occupation events and it would be far better in my opinion.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ulmont posted:

Can't you just blockade your way to victory without ever occupying?

Maybe a mod that gave blockading the same effect as capturing?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My problem is that the ground game is utterly and completely irrelevant. There's no strategy surrounding troops; a player with a strong army is going to lose every war against a player with a strong fleet. The best way to defeat a strong army is to take them out before they even reach the planet, and the only reason armies are vulnerable in space is because you can't make starships that have troop capacity. IMO it's the worst part of what is otherwise a genuinely amazing game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

There is exactly 0% chance that the ship designer is ever getting cut. Asides from the fact that I personally enjoy it, it's both a 4x staple and something that a lot of people want (we have metrics on this).

What about the ground game?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Making invasions more event-based like CK2 sieges would be cool. I want to hear about how in spite of my limited bombardment campaign one of my cruisers accidentally glassed an entire university and now the entire academic population is actively working against us.

Get rid of armies entirely, make invasions a fleet function (complete with certain modules that are more effective against planets), and make the actual invasion more fun through events.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Libluini posted:

What is it with people always wanting to rip out entire features from their games? Is that some weird kind of video game nihilism taking form here?

Seriously, rework the army system a little bit, maybe even throw a couple events in, done. Just "Getting rid" of armies makes no sense.

An "army" is basically a starship that can only influence planets. There are other ways to achieve that influence without using the cumbersome process that we currently see. I am not saying get rid of planetary combat, I am saying fold the army units into fleet ships and make invasions more entertaining and engaging. That can easily fall under your suggestion for rework.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

This is the one truly good thing about the Stellaris army system. I'm not removing it.

Nor should it be removed. In fact it should be emphasized.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

Xenomorphs as a 'gently caress my own population, nobody's getting off this planet alive' trap card is a neat idea.

Especially if they somehow accidentally end up on other planets...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Enjoy posted:

They can also hide from enemy fleets while still exerting their influence which your ships can't do

This is true, and not something I agree with. If I want to glass a planet with soldiers on it that should be an option.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Milky Moor posted:

I think it would be really cool if tile blockers gave some kind of bonus to the tile once they were 'fixed', like someone said earlier. Kelp gives extra food, volcanoes give extra energy, mountains = minerals?

Or even an adjacency bonus when they're still around. Volcanoes for everyone!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So is Mechanist a trap civic? There was some conversation earlier but I'm curious about what people think now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Strudel Man posted:

Nah, you can't reform out of that one or the secondary species one.

Yeah. It's entirely front-loaded which means there's no way to get out of it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

KingLemming posted:

Wouldn't be so bad if it also gave a permanent robot maintenance decrease. I'm thinking maybe a mod is in order. ;)

It seems to give a 5% maintenance decrease. It doesn't mention it anywhere in the game, but someone on Reddit found it in the code and if you look at your starting setup your 4 robots cost 3 energy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wiz posted:

We're trying to be a bit more thematic with the major update author picks, and I really don't know what kind of features would actually make sense there. Galactic highway planning?

I think it would be a good opportunity to work on the relationship between borders and travel modes. Borders are supposed to represent the ability of your people to project power, and that's a function of travel. So I would use this as an opportunity to address that.

Borders for hyperlane empires would expand along the lanes, slowly growing across every travel path. Wormhole empires would stay as they are now, with perhaps more weight added to systems with generators. Warp empires would grow organically, as if they were hyperlane empires that had a link to every other system.

You could use this as an opportunity to rebalance the movements. Warp could be made more appealing by increasing their speed inside the borders and by eliminating the maximum range ships can warp.

You could also introduce a literal hyperspace bypass, which would be a station that draws borders to a particular system. They could only be placed in unclaimed systems (which means pre-FTL systems also have to be cleared), and would act as sinks to pull borders to systems you want. They wouldn't generate their own borders, just suck what's already there.

Create a new game mode where you start as a empire that gets FTL after the rest of the Galaxy has already started with some kind of starting event. One of the possible starting events could be your planet being demolished for a hyperspace bypass, and if you get the event chain wrong your planet is destroyed and your game ends.

You might also create an anomaly that gives your scientist an Infinite Improbability Drive. He can teleport to any system in the Galaxy, but has a high chance of random encounters with every jump.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like the Discovery group as a whole because starting with Talented, Meritocracy, and the +1 leader skill tradition means everything gets better.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Baronjutter posted:

All the focuses drive me nuts because you have to finish a category to get the ascension slot, but half the picks are garbage. There's always just 1-2 things I want in each category (or just their finisher or starter) but then I get all sunk-cost and have to finish it off. So many of them are so specific. +10% happiness when assisting research? Uhg now I need a science ship above every single planet to make it worthwhile, but at least it does something. So many of the others do absolutely nothing unless you're playing a specific way. But I guess that's the "price" for unlocking a slot.

It does seem to force the player to choose suboptimal options to get an ascension slot. Had they separated the ascension slots from the focuses (and instead made slots accessible at certain thresholds of total unity generated) it would give the player a little more flexibility. I feel like the lack of an endgame for unity is more of a problem, so perhaps there's a way to address both problems.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guildencrantz posted:

Yeah, I made a little personal mod that nerfs PCS to give you only 1/10 of monthly research rather than 1/3. It's still really strong.

Would modding it to be something like a 1% research speed increase for every system scanned in the previous month be a bit more balanced?

Alternatively PCS could give you the ability to automate exploration instead of that arbitrary tech. Frankly I think that ability should be unlocked at the start.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'd also like to see a use for unity beyond unlocking trees. In my pacifist game the last 3 trees are science and the 2 war games. The science tree sucks if you pick it up late, and the war ones are basically useless beyond the border expansion. I'm just buying them to get to the final stage.

Yeah. Perhaps give the player the option to convert Unity to Influence at an exchange rate, or to use it to provide internal benefits like helping factions or decreasing ethics divergence. Or maybe differentiate Unity and Influence so that Influence applies to external things like diplomacy or espionage in a future update and Unity applies to internal things that affect pops.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I finished the abandoned terraforming project in my ironman game, and it created a bunch of horrors that took over the planet. That itself wouldn't be a huge problem, but for the fact that it also flipped the spaceport to hostile. It is still very early in this game, so that is enough space power to be a problem. I need enough fleet to deal with that too.

That said, I do have this, which is basically 'winning, the planet'. With my industrious race, mining guild civic, and +50% mineral modifier on the planet, this thing is a one-stop mineral shop for supplying an entire empire.

Since food is now shared between planets there is no reason whatsoever for you to not build mines on every tile available.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

boner confessor posted:

so i got my first ascenion perk and i was looking at the 10% research rate for my fanatic materialist space scientists who are exploiting the hell out of the "get research points for surveyed" systems perk but then i saw +5 core systems :stare:

I prefer the "gently caress blockers" option personally.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are there any mods that give planets defenses? It would be cool to have a building that produces an endless stream of fighters and bombers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Doorknob Slobber posted:

whats a good set up if I want to be super evil murder beasts for civics/gov

Hive Mind.

You're not evil, you're just different.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

That would result in fleets being stuck in perpetual combat with a planet they cannot destroy.

War is hell.

As a mod that would probably suck, but it would be nice to see that be part of the change to planetary combat. As others have said the ground game combat is clunky and unfun, especially relative to the rest of the game, and getting rid of it entirely in favor of a more abstract system would be great. Personally I would love to see a system where offensive armies became another ship module and defensive armies became a planetary module. I would personally just take the ship creation screen and give players the ability to customize planetary modules. Players would start off with some basic options, and then could build defensive locations on the planetary grid to provide more space for guns, shields, planes, extra armies, etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BenRGamer posted:

Planet, no. But a spaceport module that gives them fighters or bombers in addition to their regular armament might be cool.

Spaceports should be a customizable station. Perhaps with the ability to add more shields, hangars, and gun platforms via modules in the same way that I currently put in orbital farms and whatnot. Plus then the modules could be modeled and blown up! Hope you have enough food!

Do orbital blockades/bombardments prevent food from going to pops on a planet?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

VirtualStranger posted:

Here are my mods, Though they're all just simple stuff so far (although the 25 Tile Homeworlds one has over now 5000 subscribers, and has been sitting near the top of the Stellaris Steam mod page since I released it almost a week ago, which I did not expect at all)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VirtualStranger/myworkshopfiles/

In addition to that I would like to recommend all of the "Tiny (X)" mods which make buttons smaller so you don't have to scroll so goddamn much. They go very well with the 1080p UI mod

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=810204739
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803491311
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803553012
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804946681
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803452214
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779729987
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836295988
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=808478850

Can you make one big mod that contains all the tiny ones?

I feel like the irony alone is worth the effort.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Talkie Toaster posted:

Right, just released my overharvesting mod: here on the workshop.

Description is:

The fact that you didn't capitalize the second words in the various titles there triggers me on some sad, pathetic level.

The mod itself is brilliant.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hive minds are the best.

My race of ultra adaptive, fleeting, repugnant, sedentary molluscoids had the fortune next to spawn next to the only other hive mind in the galaxy. At first I assumed that meant we would be hivebros, but it turns out that they were a bunch of lazy cold lovers who had no intention of actually doing anything beyond expanding to the various worlds around them that were convenient. Meanwhile I decided to be friends and assure their independence, since nobody else in the galaxy would do so much as open their borders with me. No big deal, but when your entire species is dependent on rapidly expanding everywhere you can (which IS everywhere) it can important. In the midst of a decades-long rapid expansion my neighbors to the south decided to take advantage of my generosity by declaring war on my hivebros and then immediately going after my planets. Unfortunately I hadn't invested as much into my fleet as I should and they managed to occupy two worlds before my galaxy-spanning industry turned to war. Scanners showed a fleet consisting heavily of corvettes and weapons targeted for shields, so I rigged my fleet with flak cannons and armor. In spite of being half the size of the enemy I managed to do enough damage to "win" the battle and my enemies offered a white peace which I gladly accepted.

I immediately revoked my independence assurance for the hivebros.

Clearly my "bros" weren't worth a drat, so a decade of aggressive industrialization later I knocked down their front door and invaded half their planets. Ten years later I took over the rest, and soon there was only one. I quickly realized that the problem with my bros was that they couldn't handle occupying every possible planet, but thanks to the wonders of genetic engineering they're now just as adaptable as my guys. A few more years of development and a dead Stellarite Devourer later and my now guys are ready to remind our neighbors to the south why you don't gently caress with the hive mind. We're less than three years into the war and I've already killed their fleet, occupied four planets, and now I just need to murder and occupy my way into victory.

Meanwhile there's this primitive system called "Sol" filled with hairless apes who think that swinging around sharpened metal sticks is the pinnacle of warfare. I'm not sure what to do with them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Night10194 posted:

Have you considered invading, conquering, and eating them?

Yes, but I've also heard that my scientists, with a bit more research, can make them even tastier.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are strike craft still a trap option?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I'm hearing a lot about how cruisers are better than battleships because spinal mounts suck? Can someone explain that to me?

I'm having a ton of fun with my battleships armed with arc emitters, but I'm curious.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BenRGamer posted:

Honestly, I'd like to see the perk slots have a variety of unlock methods, killing a leviathan, destroying an FE/AE/Crisis, going through the precursor event chain (the current reward for it, just giving a bunch of unity, just seems like a roundabout method to try to achieve that).

I'd say make just plain destroying an empire worthy of it, but that seems too easy to game. Maybe only if they're similar in size?

Basically just giving incentive to do stuff.

Maybe unlocking traditions instead of perks, with increasing costs for each level? For example killing fleet power, invading planets, winning wars, trade deals, surveying systems, researching anomalies, discovering techs, all of these could become targets for players who select specific traditions.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My sector having 15K in energy while my empire is in the midst of an interstellar war that's draining my coffers is dumb bullshit.

Just murdered the Unbidden with my 140K battleship fleet. Arc Emitters are cool and good. So is having jump drives in a hyperlane game. The best part was my fleet single-handedly destroying the entire invasion and then some 1.2K corvette fleet getting credit for the killing blow.

Nobody likes me anyway so gently caress em, the galaxy is going to burn.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mazz posted:

Battleships loaded up with kinetic artillery and giga cannons on top of the massive fire rate bonuses available, set to retreat as soon as other weapons enter range is also pretty strong. Cut through 3 times my weight of Unbidden and their portal because all their battleships were dead before matter disintegrators entered range.

Load up on enough shields to keep you from taking any major early damage and you can have the 2-3 replacement ships done by the time you're ready to go again.

How do you set it to retreat?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it possible to get more than extra dimensional weaponry and jump drives from the Unbidden?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shugojin posted:

So I'm a hive mind, modified a species to have hive mind, then when I try to change their rights to resident or full citizenship it gives me the prompt and then marks them both unavailable. I'm on the beta patch which I read fixed that but maybe not?

I'm not using beta and it automatically makes them full citizens.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well my Hive Mind has basically won the game. At this point my 170K doomstack consisting mostly of battleships with arc emitters murders everything before it has a chance to get in range, regardless of what it is, while my cruisers with flak cannons take care of any fighters or missiles that get too close. I used to put torpedoes on the cruisers but their targets would die before they had a chance to do anything. I'm debating tossing some hangars and bombers on for shits and giggles but frankly it's all irrelevant since nothing can survive an endless stream of armor/shield penetrating Zzap Kannons. I single handedly destroyed the Unbidden after the rest of the galaxy let them hang around long enough to drop 4 anchors, had some no-name empire with 1.2K in corvettes steal the portal kill from my giant murder fleet, slaughtered my way BACK to my own Empire after the assholes I just saved closed their borders, and then took out a spiritualist FE because they were in my way. Now the Scourge has shown up and I need to debate between dickpunching them immediately, waiting until they've taken out the rear end in a top hat empire while I follow up with the materialist FE and some jerks to the south, or just moving on because it's not like anything can stop me. Unfortunately war is more of a tedium than a challenge so I'm not sure what to do.

The combination of hive mind and genetic engineering is absurdly powerful. I'm generating enough social technology that I can reconfigure the genetic code of entire planets in the span of a few months, and if I was sufficiently motivated it wouldn't take me long to redo the genetic code of all 500+ of my hive mind pops. I may just do it anyway because I've exhausted the social technology track and it's not like I need another 5% to food when my monthly surplus is enough to max out the growth rate of every pop in the system. Every species I conquer gets their flaws removed and their DNA reconfigured to be a race of industrious, thrifty, very strong, rapid breeding conservationists. Specializing planets is absolutely optimal with genetic engineering so that you can exploit every bit of their abilities. I don't care about unrest, riots, ethics, or anything else and all it costs is a few months of tinkering with the very building blocks of life. Sure my neighbors consider my callous disregard for the essence of life to be abhorrent, but it's not like they can do anything about it.

I've found that the combination of hive mind, extremely adaptive, and talented along with the pooled knowledge and natural neural network is extremely powerful. The negative traits are repugnant (everybody hates you already), fleeting (you're already super talented), and sedentary (I don't think hive minds even migrate). Grab the starting bonuses for the Discovery, Prosperity, and Expansion traditions before filling out the Discovery and then Expansion trees and now you can aggressively expand everywhere. Getting private colony ships is particularly powerful since it lets you spend your minerals on warships.

Obviously I'm having a lot of fun, and Wiz and the rest of the PI team should be commended on their efforts. I really like some of the additions that Unity has provided, the incorporation of traditions offers a lot of potential, and overall the game is amazing. I imagine I might play one or two more games and then let it rest until the next major update. With that in mind there are still some aspects to the game which are really irritating:

- I still haven't completed a single precursor chain.
- War gets very tedious very quickly. Early on the game is really challenging, especially when I have to scout my foe to configure my under-sized fleet to take them on, and it makes fighting a defensive war rather dynamic. Later on it's a question of time as I capture planets one by one. Jump drives make this trivially easy, but it's still a slog.
- The ground game remains essential to warfare and also the worst part of Stellaris. I lose all my bindings every time my army lands and then embarks, the inability to merge a naval fleet and an army fleet means that I have to micro-manage the two together, and the lack of templates means that I have to add an attachment to every army before I launch them. Honestly Wiz if there's anything you can do to fix the ground game in your next patch it should be a priority.
- The fact that sectors will waste excess energy while having their coffers full is very frustrating, especially when I'm at a war. At the very last sectors should have the ability to trade with enclaves and use up some of that excess energy to get more minerals. I also should be able to extract energy from those coffers when my own empire is running out, or at the very least when my energy coffer runs out I should immediately start pulling energy from my sectors as an emergency measure.
- Traditions have their benefits but feel tacked on with little regard for the end game. After I finished Expansion, Discovery, and Prosperity it quickly became obvious that Superiority was the only one I cared about (and then after that I just randomly picked one and started waiting for it).
- The invasions might be more challenging if their weapons weren't entirely predetermined. I know what the Unbidden bring before they're even a threat. Perhaps it might be more of a challenge if the major threats in the game had their weapons randomized in the same way that regular empires do, so that perhaps one game matter disintegrators are amazing against armor and the next they murder shields.

Overall these issues are minor. The game is great and I love playing it, and thanks to the team for doing such a wonderful job.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ulmont posted:

You may already know this, but you can set an army fleet to follow a naval fleet just by right-clicking. It doesn't eliminate the micro but it cuts it down a lot; after I starting doing that the amount of times my army fleets get sniped went way down.

What I did was make a few doomstack fleets followed by doomstack armies. My process was as follows:

1. Set doomstack fleet as hotkey 1, doomstack army as hotkey 2.
2. Have both fly to system, maybe getting doomstack army to wait a few days.
3. When both arrive in system set doomstack army to follow doomstack fleet.
4. Doomstack fleet murders everything.
5. Drop doomstack army on planet. Don't even bother bombarding.
6. Win invasion.
7. Embark doomstack army and reset hotkey.
8. Repeat.

It's a pain in the rear end but it's also the only way to make it work. If you only set the army to follow the fleet then the army will dumbly wait until the fleet has jumped before even starting their drives, which is probably exactly when the AI will drop their fleet on your transports.

alcaras posted:

I'd love a mod that just made you auto-invade/conquer any planet that you bombarded down to zero.

Micromanaging armies is not fun.

Holy poo poo yet. Honestly the whole army system could get scrapped and I would be perfectly happy. Imagine how much fleet combat would suck if you had to individually upgrade each ship while it was in port and then every time they won a fleet engagement you lost your hotkey.

alcaras posted:

Thank you for that good post.

One question: Why talented and pooled knowledge, over say, rapid breeders and the +unity civic?

Because that +2 to skills means all of your leaders start out at level 3. Add the bonus from the Discovery tradition and now every leader starts at level 4. That means your scientists practically never fail an anomaly, your research speeds up by 8%, the fire rates of your fleets increases by 20%, and your armies are 20% healthier, 20% more damaging, and 20% cheaper. You don't give a poo poo about fleeting anymore because your people are all geniuses at birth. Meanwhile rapid breeders (which I do like) can be offset by having obscene amounts of food (and planets eventually cap off anyway). The +Unity civic is nice but once you get your third civic the remainder are basically worthless except as a means to get ascension points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bloodly posted:

It's sad really, because the Emperor, despite his origins, was Materialist as gently caress. Then again, given he was very much terrified/hating of...the equivalent of 'The End of the Cycle', can you really blame him? Actually, isn't that the constant fear/purpose with the Throne? If he fully dies, a new Eye Of Terror?

If the Emperor dies nobody knows what will happen. It's entirely possible that his death could cause the creation of a new Chaos God, only this time he's on humanity's side and runs around beating the poo poo out of the other gods (kind of like what Gork and Mork do for the Orks). The real problem is that the Golden Throne also keeps a webway portal shut that the Emperor was loving around with before he died and IIRC if the Throne were to stop working then you'd basically get a portal right to Terra. At the same time the Astronomicon would be snuffed out (since in his spare time the Emperor charges up the Choir that lets Navigators see where Terra is while navigating the Warp) and the resulting psychic shock would probably do Very Bad Things to any psykers nearby. Like all the psykers chained up to be slowly processed into Emperor Kibble since that's what the Golden Throne runs on.

• Locked thread