Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nystral posted:

Speaking of the Saints I lost track but wasn't the owner and his kids fighting over the team or something like that. The wife / stepmom was the crux of the argument IIRC but gently caress if I know anything beyond that.

Theoretically settling but it hasn't been made final yet. Article says that the stepmom is ultimately going to get control.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/11/settlement_in_benson_family_la.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

A.o.D. posted:

The only good feeling I could possibly get from this season is the schadenfreude of a Falcons loss, but that would entail a Patriots win. Sean Payton is Still the coach, they hired loving Tomsula, and Brees' prime has been frittered away in a parade of 7 - 9 years. gently caress this gay Earth.

Tomsula went to Washington.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

oh thank god.

but they picked up Mike Nolan.

Neither of them is named Joe Vitt so things can only look up.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I just no joke survived the tornado that hit the Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans. Here's some video of the aftermath: https://youtu.be/iTyfwGLNUkc

Jesus, I didn't know you were there. There were tornados, as best as I can tell, to the North, West, South, and East of me.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

wandler20 posted:

I had such high hopes for Freeman.

Yeah, after that 2010 season things looked like they would be really dire in the NFCS for a while.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

I just think a young speedy dependable receiver should be worth more than this, and the Saints screwed themselves.

There's a clear judgment call in there, which is whether or not Cooks was going to be dependable again or be a pain in the rear end. After how bad the Saints got burned with locker room problems and bad blood I'm on board for shipping dudes out if they don't want to be in NOLA.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Gatts posted:

Don't get it. What's so savage?

Read the jersey numbers again, slowly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

This is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there i'll tell you how i became the prince of a town called Bell Air.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

...I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Random?

They're counting the bell emoji.

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/882595331950641153

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

:negative:

quote:

Your 2016 record: 7-9. That’s three straight years of 7-9, and four out of the past five years. Jeff Fisher is in AWE of this consistency. If you haven’t realized it by now, both the Saints and the city of New Orleans are clearly content with a team that can pass for 50 gazillion yards a season and do nothing else correctly. That 2009 title? That was it. They’re never winning another title again. They’re taking their fluke ring and going to the bar.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-s...dium=socialflow

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Seen on Facebook:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Nah, more like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBDMMVctu8

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

The thing is, I see where they were trying to make a big impact, they just flopped miserably (Byrd, Browner, Galette, etc.) It's not like they stood pat and did nothing, but they basically made all the wrong moves.

Yup (also resigning Fairley). Even Spagnuolo and Ryan made sense at the time.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

[Vaccaro Interception]

Who do you think was supposed to cover Russell Shepard on that play? Or just gently caress it, 3rd and 16, who cares?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I guess the helmets are still gonna be black *roll eyes*

Some day, you'll get this right, Falcons front office. Some day.

quote:

In 2013, the league, based on the advice of its Head, Neck and Spine Committee and Player Safety Advisory Panel, passed a rule that prohibited teams from using more than one helmet in a given season. Those committees found that a broken-in helmet was far safer than one fresh out of the box.

For a number of teams, the new rule eliminated the option of wearing throwback uniforms, as their current helmets would not match their throwback uniforms.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/eagles-throwbacks-kelly-green-nfl-helmet-rule-patriots-rams

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

wandler20 posted:

I still don't get how a used smashed to poo poo helmet is better than a new one.

It may have been utter bullshit trotted out by the NFL.

quote:

UW: I was talking to an NFL spokesman, and he didn't say anything about that. He said that when you switch out a helmet, it takes time to break in the new one, and that can cause safety issues if it isn't broken in well enough. Is that true?

EG: It was true 10 years ago, maybe even five years ago. But helmet technology now is much better. There's really no break-in process for about 90 percent of the helmets, at least in my opinion.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/9694560/no-break-process-new-nfl-helmets

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Do the right thing and make red helmets/black jersey/white pants be the year-round uniform.

I, too, want my professional football team to unabashedly rip off their uniforms from the local college team.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

In fairness, I honestly don't know who came up with this style first.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Red Helmet, Black Jersey, White Pants is the original Falcons uniform from 1966... which is why that is our throwback uniform.

I am aware that the Falcons have been ripping off UGA uniforms from the very very beginning.

quote:

The Falcons original uniforms featured red helmets, black jerseys, white pants, and striped black socks.

But there was a kick. Atlantans over at the Georgia Institute of Technology were angry an Atlanta-based team was donning University of Georgia colors. Georgia actually wore black jerseys way back in the day, and also wore white pants nearly identical to the Falcons during the start of the Dooley era (the Techies had a point). And, the Falcons road jerseys had black numbers, just like those pesky Dawgs. So, what did the Falcons do?

They wore two thin, almost unnoticeable gold stripes on their helmets from 1966-1969. . .Speaking of irony, the Falcons would not only trash the subtle gold helmet stripes in 1970, but they would look more like Georgia the following season.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/553045-observing-the-falcons-uniform-history
http://amarillo.com/blog-post/mark-haslett/2012-11-29/nfl-uni-blog-atlanta-falcons

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

weird Asian candy posted:

Ikr? Shutouts are priceless...id kill for a Shutout!

I didn't watch, was Saints fed that good or Miami offense that bad or combo of both?

Both, plus luck. Saints intercepted a throw in the end zone on Miami's opening drive when the Dolphins were otherwise marching.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Reminder: The Pats D is one of the worst in the league, currently. We couldn't hang 20 points on them with a special teams ace playing corner.

Patriots @ Saints: Saints scored 20.
Patriots v Panthers: Panthers scored 30.
Patriots @ Bucs: Bucs scored 14.
Patriots v Falcons: Falcons scored 7.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Massive hate-watching last night.

https://twitter.com/JWBrownIII/status/922459282255249408

MJBuddy posted:

But Brees isn't a Dem

Or a voter, really.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 23, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

That said what happened to Gholston?

Tough to tell. He fell down after the play was over - may have been hit in the head/neck earlier but wasn't enough to stop him.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

That Works posted:

I'm ditching this one as soon as we get 8 wins.

If I get drunk and the Saints poo poo the bed again I may rebuy, so don't get comfortable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Make a NFC South gang tag.

If you can work up an image of a stylized saint / pirate / panther / falcon committing suicide in unison, I'll see what I can do.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

WampaLord posted:

He tried to post a game day thread for Monday Night Football and used the Hot tag and got banned.

It was glorious.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840501&perpage=40

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

And of course, when Drew needs to step it up, he can.

I swear Payton went to Brees on the sideline at some point and said "I know, we've been doing things different for a while, but you gotta win this one 2014-2016 shootout style" and then Brees said "Ok."

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

You never know with divisional games though so I don't know wth to think but I say NO finishes in 1st and Car and Atl tie for 2nd. No clue who would own tiebreaker at that point.

Atlanta with more divisional wins based on that projection.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

The Big Jesus posted:

Offense moved really well in the first half, just had to settle for field goals.

Yeah that was a triumph of the Viking defense - the Falcons offense looked great other than on 3rd and long.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I do remember seeing Ray Nagin ads in 2006 in Atlanta. Was surreal.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I personally cannot wait for the sweet release from playoff hopes and aspirations this Thursday night when Ingram and Kamara literally run away with our playoff chances.

They legit are gonna run for 400 yards combined.

I dunno - I'm really worried we get 2016 vintage defense after watching the Vikings game. I fully expect one of those 52-49 games.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Is the butthole in Atlanta stuck open or closed?

Closed, as best as I can tell.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

N:
https://twitter.com/DMoutonWWL/status/938879282327244800

V:
:lol:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I hope it's the Atlanta game.

My hope depends on how tonight and Sunday go for Atlanta.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Per rule only the quarterback is allowed to spike the ball. Does the holder count as a quarterback on field goal tries?

It's not "only the quarterback." It's "[a] player under center."

Rule 8, Section 2, Article 1, Item 3 posted:

Item 3. Stopping Clock. A player under center is permitted to stop the game clock legally to save time if, immediately upon receiving the snap, he begins a continuous throwing motion and throws the ball directly into the ground.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I was hoping some magic scenario exists where the Panthers and Saints both miss the playoffs but the playoff machine is not showing me that is the case :(

Seattle and Detroit win out and Panthers and Saints lose out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

1.5744% chance according to current 538 predictions, just FYI.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

So yer sayin' there's a chance?!

When your chance depends on the Bucs winning 2 straight against teams who would be playing for their playoff life...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I feel like you are not reciprocating my sarcasm ulmont. Would it kill you to play along???

I'm really hoping your chance dies around 1:30ET on Christmas Eve, honestly. A Christmas present for me and half of my family.

But my bad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Technically we can lose 1 out of the next 2 and we will be in. That said, let's run the table and take the division imho

I meant your chance at there only being one NFCS team in the playoffs.

The scenario I really don't want is if the Falcons run the table and the Saints take care of the Bucs:

Would be Falcons / Saints games 3 times in 4 weeks: 14, 16, 18/WC.

• Locked thread