Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hey guys.

The 49ers are... bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
SB losses can really mess with a team. There had been a lot of reports within the Seahawks about ~that playcall~ and that it was really dividing the locker room, with reports of an offseason Hawaii trip to try and smooth things over. Granted, at least Paul Allen didn't blow up the front office because of it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Ask a Seahawks fan who they think is the team's eternal rival and it'll tell you when they started rooting for the team. If they say the Broncos, they're old school. If they say Rams, they started rooting after the switch to the NFC West. If they say 49ers, they started rooting during Russell Wilson.

Edit: some might say Steelers, Patriots or Packers. Which feels wrong in many ways.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Krycek posted:

Agreed, very wrong to call these teams rivals. We only hate Steelers and pats because we lost superbowls to those teams, but that's nothing close to rivalry territory. As for packers, anytime I meet a packers fan I just laugh and say "fail mary, replacement refs got it right" and watch as blood vessels threaten to explode from thier head.

If I had to choose one non-NFCW rival for the Seahawks, I would probably say it's the Packers. There's a lot of history there - Holmgren's departure, "We want the ball and we're gonna score", John Schneider being a former GB exec, Fail Mary, NFCCG comeback, and the fact that we've always played them almost every year now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

hifi posted:

https://twitter.com/CardsMarkD/status/826821517719773184

well that's that. enjoy skydiving in the himalayas with larry, i guess

There's no blue checkmark next to this guy :tinfoil:

But yeah, even if Palmer is staying, dude is old and you have to consider how good he is, and that one bad hit forces you to start Stanton for a bit.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
You could maybe hope that Blair Walsh's previous season was the same as Mason Crosby's 2012 season. A bad aberration and hopefully he recovers back to his usual self.

If he still has the yips / is bad, I think that would probably be evident early on in camp, and at that point he gets cut in favor of someone else.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Personally I want Seattle to draft a CB first, since there's a lot of good ones, and hardly any LTs (I'm gonna say that Gilliam or Fant are at the top of the chopping block) that would immediately make an impact.

I'd hate to say it, but I think the O-line is mostly going to stay the same. There will be some camp bodies for competition for sure, but overall at least 4 of the 5 starters are probably sticking around. You just hope that another year of continuity together helps, and realize that not every unit on a team can be good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Chichevache posted:

I can't think of a good DB we have drafted since 2011.

Let's take a look:

2012: Jeremy Lane and Winston Guy. Lane was... okay, up until that horrific injury in the Super Bowl. Guy played 2 games and got cut.
2013: Tharold Simon. Played a few games. Never amounted to anything good.
2014: Eric Pinkins. Played 6 games, doesn't have a single stat attributed to him.
2015: Tye Smith and Ryan Murphy. Smith played a few games and got cut this last season. Murphy didn't make the team.
2016: No DBs drafted.

These guys were all drafted late round (5 and beyond) too.

I get that everyone gushes over our drafting of Sherman and Chancellor in the late rounds, but yeah... we haven't thought of backfilling those positions yet. So far our replacements for Brandon Browner in the LOB have been Byron Maxwell (good for 1 1/2 seasons, took a huge payday at Philly and became bad), Cary Williams (lol), and Shead ( :rip: ).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I feel like the Rams should have used last year as a rebuild year, kept the draft picks to fill out other roster needs, then go for a FA QB this year like Romo. Of course, Jeff Fisher ~faaaaart~ and NEW CITY kind of ruined them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Russell Okung is a FA again. Given what our OTs did last year I'd be totally fine bringing him back.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Part of me tells me that 9ers should use this as a rebuilding year and get a QB next year since they have talent deficit almost everywhere, but I'm not an NFL GM.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
See ya later, Hauschka. My ex-girlfriend was in love with you.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Well, Lang signed with Detroit, because of course we can't have good offensive linemen.

Also, Joeckel is getting $7mil guaranteed, which is... a lot.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Not sure I see much upside to this deal, but I'm seeing a whole lot of backside.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The concept of a teriyaki restaurant was invented in Seattle.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Freakazoid_ posted:

I had no idea teriyaki was some magical feast exclusive to seattle. I can't imagine being in a part of the US without it.

In other parts of the state, teriyaki is still foreign. I once worked at a company that had a Western Washington office and an Eastern Washington office. There were people visiting from the east office that took the desk next to me. Nice people. For lunch, I went out and got regular ol' chicken teriyaki and ate it at my desk. The guy next to me looks at it and goes "what kind exotic ethnic cuisine is that?"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

MakaVillian posted:

As someone who gets their American tv stations from Spokane, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Eastern Washington

I've only driven through Spokane a few times in my life, but I was astonished with how many Chinese food restaurants there were when I did.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I don't think Sherman is getting traded unless there's a lot of discontent he created in the locker room. His 2nd half of his last season was bad, but then you find out he was playing bad MCL, and wonder how much it impacted his play.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure how good the players will turn out, but we got a CB2, depth at safety (which will be important as this is Kam's final year before FA), and got guys that will rotate well in the defensive line. Plus we got 1 offensive line guy who's best comp is Justin Britt and a WR.

Ehhh, seems okay I guess!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Coldforge posted:

After the draft:

The 49ers got a shitload better on defense, and a bit better on offense.
The Rams got a shitload better on offense.
The Cardinals got better on defense.
The Seahawks got a bit better all around.

I can live with that.

I'd say Seattle got way better on defense, not so much on offense. Only one offensive line pick early on, and a WR pick. The rest was spent rebuilding our defensive line and secondary, which I'm pretty okay with.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Coldforge posted:

They only real upgrade I see for the Seahawks on D is McDowell, who does look like a potential monster. Everyone else they picked on D just looks like depth.

Meanwhile, Pocic is a pretty massive upgrade, and Senior should eventually be as well. They drafted good O-line players. Let that sink in.

Shaq Griffin will likely be CB2 as long as training camp goes well and he picks up Seattle's system. Delano Hill is basically being groomed to be Kam Chancellor's replacement since this is Kam's final year in his contract (and considering his body I'm betting he has retirement on his mind). But yeah, everything else besides what you said is depth / lottery tickets and that's par for the course for late round picks.

Pocic will probably be okay. I wasn't expecting much offensive line since this wasn't a good draft class for that, but the team seems pretty psyched about signing UDFA Jordan Roos out of Purdue. Pete said they were pretty close to drafting him in later rounds. I'm just happy we don't have any dumb Tom Cable projects out of this draft.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Frank Clark is a giant dumbass.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
smdh, Cassius

http://compete.kotaku.com/cassius-marsh-competes-in-magic-tournament-gets-wrecke-1796367714

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jermaine Kearse, Jeremy Lane and Alex Collins are all expendable. They'll likely get cut unless we get like a 7th back for them so that a team wants exclusive rights to them rather than risking them to the waiver wire.

Edit: Lane will probably be kept after DeAndre Elliott's gruesome injury though.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 1, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Its Rinaldo posted:

Except Seahawks actually know what to do with defensive lineman!

Convert them into offensive linemen?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I want an oil painting of this

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

State of the Seahawks' O-line in 2017: People legitimately nostalgic for Breno Giacomini.

Germain Ifedi needs to loving start showing something soon, because he's already looking like a bust. The one time Schneider doesn't trade out of the first round and he uses his pick on this rear end in a top hat.

Wasn't there another offensive line guy on the board that everyone ranked higher than Ifedi when he was picked? Good job on that pick, dudes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Since Marshawn isn't our RB anymore, we don't have a running attack that can work behind a shoddy line. Eddie Lacy wasn't the answer last week. Maybe Rawls is, but goddamn he never plays.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's gonna be the first time in awhile that I'm scared to play Tennessee.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I dunno how to feel about the 49ers putting up that many points after Brian Hoyer poo poo the bed against the Seahawks. I guess the Rams defense isn't good anymore?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Its Rinaldo posted:

It's gonna be #5 #4 Apple Cup this year and it's gonna own. Then you'll know true terror from your ginger overlord

Hmm well, about that...

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
RWBS is no longer a fluke. I don't subscribe to the "you need a running game to win", although it does hamper our ability to be flexible. They need to be doing more read options.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheFace posted:

Wilson is having a hard enough time avoiding getting crushed on every play due to O line... now you want him to do actual designed runs to take more hits?

Only way Seahawks continue to win is keeping that man healthy.

I rarely see RW take hits in a designed run. He's actually really good at sliding / running out of bounds. The times he's taking hits is when he stays in the pocket. My main thing for doing more read options was to hand it off to RBs as well. That's what made him and Marshawn so good together (and yeah, Lynch was the perfect RB for that system and all).

Also he only got sacked twice yesterday. The pass protection is improving. Run protection still sucks, but that's also on our mediocre RBs as well.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

mike- posted:

It seems a little surprising to me that lane failed his physical after playing on Sunday.

He had just come back from an injury. I'm sure it was still aggravated.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

Seahawks' schedule the rest of the way

@ ARI
vs. ATL
@ SF
vs. PHI
@ JAX
vs. LAR
@ DAL
vs. ARI

There isn't a single gimme game left after the Niners. 10-6 might be the best-case scenario.

I expect Seattle to win both games against Arizona and the last one against the 49ers. That puts us at 8.

Atlanta? Tough to tell, depends on if Earl is healthy. Toss up.

Philly? Wentz is the real deal but it's at home. Toss up.

JAX? Bort is bad but their defense could make RW's life hell. Toss up.

Rams? It's Seahawks and Rams, who the hell knows what happens.

Dallas? I'd expect us to lose that game.

So yeah assuming we win half of those toss up games we are probably at 10-6, which is probably enough for a WC this year depending on if the Rams continue to win out.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Coldforge posted:

How did the Rams become the most likable team in the division? 2017, man.

Most likeable, least liked.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fuuuuuck

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://mobile.twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/928859224146264064?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

What the hell, Richard

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Benne posted:

This is why you don't trust Notre Dame RBs

Or in Russell Wilson's case, WRs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm pretty sure we are drafting an RB first round. Or second. We will probably trade our pick like we always do.

• Locked thread