Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Anals of History posted:

It'd be worth it just hear Packers fans indignant bitching when they all get priced out of the stadium.

"How could the NFL deny an owner entry to the Super Bowl?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I love DeAndre but he's been injured or otherwise unremarkable for two years now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Embarrassed by the hat but it was a charity event for children and adults with mental disabilities at a Trump golf course

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ShowtimeTate/status/842121582315102208

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeTate/status/842121982980190208

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

is this like how pats fans say brady didn't "technically" endorse trump, he only had a MAGA hat conveniently placed in his locker to face the camera during a widely viewed interview

No, because Brady was more like "I don't wanna talk about it" and Tate is saying outright that he doesn't support him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Filthy Casual posted:

Oh, so he was trying to look relatable.

The other joke was better

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Filthy Casual posted:

I wanna say it was the Eisenhower administration.

That's a good answer but there was a brief period in the early 90s that probably works. Post-Bad Boys Pistons and pre-dynasty Red Wings.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Filthy Casual posted:

The Bad Boys were late 80s early 90s, then the Wings got good around '93. I guess that leaves '91 as the one possible year the Lions could be that.

Looking at 94 as well, both the Lions and Wings had first round playoff exits (though the Wings were a top seed and the Lions were a wildcard)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I've been saying this about the Lions for a couple years now, quit cribbing my style.

Fellow Lions fans who actually paid attention to the leadup to the draft, tell me why I should or shouldn't be excited for this Davis guy.

He is a linebacker and we needed one (I did not pay attention to the leadup to the draft)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Lions drafted a player from my alma mater, EMU!

Can't wait to watch him play for the first time :v:

Honoring the legacy of Ron Rice and Charlie Batch. Also the Eagles are (sort of) legit now! They went to a bowl game!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just how bad is Greg Robinson?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Do the Lions really hate any teams in the division? They've always been the little brother that's just kind of there.

Do you think bad teams/fans of bad teams aren't full of hatred? The question should be if anyone hates the Lions other than their own fans.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Currently closed? I was just at the Shedd last week, definitely open. Also I along with thousands of other fans don't drive to/park at the stadium.

I think he means closed at that point on Sundays.

As a Michigan native and a Detroit defender who lives in Chicago, I must emphasize that AsInHowe does not speak for us. Traffic is the only advantage Detroit has, and that's because there's 2 million people here vs. less than 700K.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

oh i'm sorry when's the last time Detroit won a Super Bowl?

I'll wait

Bragging about championships won before I was born :smug:

Yeah, but when's the last time the Lions lost a Super Bowl? :smug:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Supposedly Detroit is nice to live in if you're a techbro

But then everyone hates you

There are two paths to being a proper young Detroiter:
1. Get a job at Quicken Loans out of college, amazed at how quickly you can build up cash, living like a king in your midtown apartment. After four months of being ground into paste by the soul-crushing reality of working for Dan Gilbert's predatory loan company, quit and become a bartender or join a start-up.
2. Move to a blighted neighborhood and become an urban gardener and/or artist. Scrape by with just enough money to eat and pay cheap rent. It's a rough way to live but morally superior to option 1.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Finally bringing out the throwbacks again
https://twitter.com/ttwentyman/status/886951760673296384

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

Maybe they'll put an MLS team in Detroit.

Dan Gilbert and Tom Gores are trying but people are very attached to the semi-pro team Detroit City FC

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ochocinco/status/889647410057760773

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Timby posted:

(God, forgive me for what I have done.)

Congrats on getting this in WYTS

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

https://twitter.com/erikschlitt/status/894647813493190658

I still can't believe the Lions drafted a 48 year old man

Have you seen his baby picture?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Stafford contract was inevitable from the moment we drafted him in that ridiculous rookie contract era. The Lions had no leverage at all.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My dad's cousin who always has inane sports opinions thinks the Lions should see if they can get three impact players and two firsts for Stafford and roll with Jake Rudock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Flikken posted:

Stafford also can play in primetime

Have you seen the Lions on national TV? They do better than Cincinnati, but not by much.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I hope he retires and becomes a neurosurgeon like he said he would

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hizawk posted:

Greg Robinson.

Makes me miss Stephen Peterman and Gosder Cherilus

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bill Barnwell's exasperation about that London game will always be hilarious to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/912468859449495553

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Mule loving owns

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

Still no 100 yard rusher for the Lions since Reginald Bush in 2014.

2013. I like how they brought that up a million times and then Ameer got hurt with 6 yards to go

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

Eric Ebron is David Sloan 2.0 and it still infuriates me to this very day that dumbshit Mayhew took him in the top 10 over the likes of Aaron Donald, OBJ or Taylor Lewan.

And hey Taylor Decker, please come back soon, because the Lions O-line is a goddamn turnstile of awfulness.

I thought David Sloan owned incredibly hard but I guess I was also 10 years old. If you need a Lions tight end with stone hands to compare him to it's obviously post-rookie year Brandon Pettigrew

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BUG JUG posted:

Yeah duck duck gray duck is better than duck duck goose.

Also: Lions fans hate us? Are we their version of the Packers, not recognizing a rivalry because we have a bigger rival elsewhere? Because if so, lol that makes the Lions somehow even more pathetic.

I have never felt more than vague dislike of the Vikings when they're playing on the road. The gjallarhorn drives me insane though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Jim Bob Cooter sheen is wearing off

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

lol that was the game where Megatron got the record but the Lions still got blown out, wasn't it.

Yeah it also had a kick returner kneeling at the 2

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Will they help him be better at catching the football? I don't give a gently caress otherwise

The power of Squid will enable him to

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

They broke that streak last season iirc

Two seasons ago, which is why he said 2 out of 3. Of course we couldn’t break it earlier against a team that was resting all its good players when we were fighting for playoff seeding.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

You should never have to combine the words "game winning heroics" and "against the Browns"

It was a year after 0-16

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

schweens posted:

Tim McDonagh wrote an article for SI about Stafford. I'm not going to read it but I'm sharing because of this pic:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/14/matthew-stafford-detroit-lions-kelly-stafford

Tim McDonagh is the artist. Michael Rosenberg (former Free Press guy) wrote it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WHOOPS posted:

based on Whitehair’s play on that 4th down, i’m not sure he really knows where’s going on general, so i’d guess it was an accident.

That 4th down play was him scrambling to cover the running back that leaked out

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Look on the bright side, Lions fans. With nine wins, the Vikings have guaranteed that Matt Stafford will have at least one win against a winning team this year.

And on the road!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

Old stadiums are cool and I don't get why Americans seem to hate them so much

Like when everyone used to complain about Wrigley and the trough toilets, do you not have trough toilets in bars in the US?

The only non-stadium trough I've ever encountered was in the on campus underground bar at my podunk liberal arts college. They're loving gross and a huge waste of water to boot.

• Locked thread