Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Send the Packers to the AFC East, we'll take the Bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

I'm happy the Falcons curb-stomped the Packers and didn't even leave the illusion of a competitive football game. :unsmith:

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

fishing with the fam posted:

I have faith that the Bears will good again. Some day.

We'll finally get our second Super Bowl in 2085. So at least it won't take as long as the Cubs.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Oakey posted:

Also the fact that it was Brett Favre day in Lambeau and I'm sure they picked that game for it because no one possibly thought the Bears would beat the Packers in Lambeau on 4 days of rest in an otherwise terrible season. It was great.

Its the last time I was truly happy about anything football.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

It's funny I can't recall the game but I can recall laughing at Favre's night being ruined. I wonder how Corey Wooton is doing.

Tracey Porter picked off Rodgers and then broke up a pass in the end zone to seal it. I can't think of any other reason he was starting this year, but that game.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Anals of History posted:

Lions are rebranding again, I guess: http://www.detroitlions.com/news/news-short/article-1/Detroit-Lions-statement-regarding-rebranding/1e853757-ae2f-42f4-bd7d-8a6bfef77097

New word art, new uniforms dropping on Apr. 13, and "the removal of black from our brand identity."

Good call with Trump coming into power.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Shangri-Law School posted:

Has the "injury-prone" label ever stuck to Jay Cutler? People don't seem to talk about it. They even say he isn't injured when he actually is.

Its mostly been a thing this year, cropped up once the quitter bullshit was eventually put to rest.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Sataere posted:

The quitter bullshit was put to rest? I must've missed that.

Maybe I've been tuned out from how much the team blew, but I didn't hear it as much the past couple years.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Timby posted:

I still can't believe the Bears are going to punt the best quarterback they've ever had out the door (especially when he has no guaranteed money left) just because Pace and Fox are sick of hearing Joe from Naperville rip into them on talk radio and desperately trying to save their jobs.

Especially for Mike Glennon of all people.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you're going to draft a quarterback to sit on the bench and develop why would you not keep Cutler?

"He just doesn't look like he cares enough. Now that Glennon, he'll stick his neck out for anyone in the locker room."

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I noticed Cutler is almost never in frame whenever his teammates are trying to stop an INT return.

Its that or break something making a tackle, like in 2011.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I would probably organize some kind of crusade to go and burn down Lambeau field if that happened

You have my sword.

Packers need to not exceed six wins for a couple decades to restore balance to the world.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

TJ Lang getting to come home and play for the Lions is awesome.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Deki posted:

Yeah, he said he wants to raise his kids in his hometown and I get that. Also he'll have more time with the kids with no deep postseason games!

"You see, son, everything the sun shines on in Oakland County is our land."

"What about that dark spot in the south?"

"That's Detroit, you must never go there."

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Embarrassed by the hat but it was a charity event for children and adults with mental disabilities at a Trump golf course

Oh, so he was trying to look relatable.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Sataere posted:

I have to admit that this pisses me right off. He better have no guaranteed money and be a camp body.

I would rather have Sanchez start, our passing game might as well be funny while its impotent. Kinda like why Barkley was more fun to watch than Hoyer.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

The Lions might be the best team in Detroit. When was the last time that was the case?

I wanna say it was the Eisenhower administration.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

That's a good answer but there was a brief period in the early 90s that probably works. Post-Bad Boys Pistons and pre-dynasty Red Wings.

The Bad Boys were late 80s early 90s, then the Wings got good around '93. I guess that leaves '91 as the one possible year the Lions could be that.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Looking at 94 as well, both the Lions and Wings had first round playoff exits (though the Wings were a top seed and the Lions were a wildcard)

I guess you could say that, since the Lions were less of a disappointment.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

The Bears will screw it all up.

Two thirds, a fourth and a swap of #2 and #3 for Trubisky. Right on schedule.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

R.D. Mangles posted:

this draft pick was solely about saving pace's job

Dude needs to start day 1.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Just how bad is Greg Robinson?

As a Bears fan, I hope he starts.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

LabyaMynora posted:

My cousin-in-law's boyfriend had a build similar to Mike Glennon's and played in some amateur football league. He ended up with a broken bone ripping through the skin on his ankle.

I am convinced that the more Mike Glennon plays in the NFL, the sooner we will see him break in a way we have not yet seen a human being break on live TV. I'm imagining his spine bursting through the flesh of his neck or something nuts like that.

Even worse is how they'll put him back together:

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

AsInHowe posted:

better city

Just...lol, man.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

AsInHowe posted:

I can leave Ford Field and be home by the 2nd quarter of the 4:30 game, not be stuck with the SNL Superfans drunkenly piling up traffic in front of a currently closed aquarium.

I agree, as a Detroit native, its greatest advantage beyond signature hot dogs is the ability to leave it.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

There are two paths to being a proper young Detroiter:
1. Get a job at Quicken Loans out of college, amazed at how quickly you can build up cash, living like a king in your midtown apartment. After four months of being ground into paste by the soul-crushing reality of working for Dan Gilbert's predatory loan company, quit and become a bartender or join a start-up.
2. Move to a blighted neighborhood and become an urban gardener and/or artist. Scrape by with just enough money to eat and pay cheap rent. It's a rough way to live but morally superior to option 1.

Don't forget your water getting shut off in option 2.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Sataere posted:

Only if they suck more than Trubisky. :v:

This is what I hated about dumping Cutler. The Bears are now in a situation where Mark Sanchez could easily be the best QB on their roster.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Sataere posted:

Sometimes, before you can rebuild, you have to tear everything down first. Then burn what might remain and salt the earth.

I thought 2014 and 2016 were this thing. We had Matt Barkley as our top QB.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Mitch may not be terrible, but I know Glennon will bring us back to the impotence of 2007, minus that one Griese comeback against the Eagles.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I want the Dolphins to win the Superbowl with Jay Cutler starting.

Same.

He should be here instead of Necks Grossman.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Glennon went full Blutarsky.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Dropping Cutler for Glennon already cost one win.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Dexo posted:

Glennon looked fine most of the game.

All he was asked to do is not turn the ball over, and play conservative. When he was asked to actually pass it in the late drives he was able to do so and keep moving the chains. Also The gently caress I'm throwing to any of those receiving options unless I have absolutely no choice to but to do so.

He finished the first half with like...40 yards passing. If you can't ask him to do more than that then sit his rear end down.

quote:

Cohen? Howard? Ya'll are gonna be our entire offense I guess.

It might have actually worked had Glennon not been late on his throw for 2nd and goal. The Bellamy pass was pretty good, 3rd down was awful, 4th down he failed to step up and lost the game. Dude cannot move at all in the pocket, and if the offense ever gets behind in the sticks he's only capable of getting Tarik Cohen killed for a 3 yard gain.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

schweens posted:

Obviously the Bears game should be a win for the Packers but if they don't get Daniels, Perry, or Bakhtiari back by Thursday it could be close. Howard and Cohen are nasty backs even if the Steelers tackling helped them out. Really the Bears offense could be pretty good in the future once they free Trubisky and get some WRs. Wheaton looked bad in particular yesterday

Bengals game was closer than I wanted but that was a dope final drive and Rodgers gets another comeback for the clutch folder

I don't actually know how good the Bears WRs are (probably not great), because Glennon is too much of a coward to throw to them.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Make no mistake, he's thrown to them all right. They keep dropping or missing catches. Glennon or not, a couple of legit wideouts are needed.

The Wheaton drops were pretty bad, but some of those others were just dudes trying not to die given how late he was on the throws.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Dubious posted:

the only lions fan im aware of on earth that legitimately hates the vikings is detroit dogg

It's something I've heard from a few people living in the area. The only dislike the Packers for being good, the Bears are mostly harmless, but there's just a seething rage at the Vikings. Maybe it's because they steal a lot of the pity thunder for having such spectacular gently caress-ups in NFCCGs, whereas the Lions biggest boo-boos are never winning a game/getting there in the first place.

Of course, one or more of those people could be detroit dogg.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

GeneX posted:

Are the rodgers-less packers better or worse than the Bears?

I think they’re still better, tbh

With Glennon, probably. Definitely not with Trubisky, the D is actually at the point where it can wreck bad QBs.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Sataere posted:

I still can't believe they won against the Raven's. How does Barth not shank the game winning field goal? Isn't that why we hired him in the first place?

The team just keeps giving a poo poo despite Fox's best efforts.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

John Fox trying his damndest to not play Trubisky, despite him starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

GeneX posted:

to be fair, the bears have the worst WR corps I've ever seen this team have

Plus the one decent guy (Wright) isn't even on the field half the time.

Of course, they just cut Deonte Thompson and he went off for 100 yards with the Bills.

• Locked thread