Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

suicidesteve posted:

Thanks! I'll look at my options more later tonight and make some updates.

Not sure how I screwed the links up but it's fixed now.

https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/140075

Eureka was definitely filler until I got more of the duplicates I wanted. I figured if I didn't have access to 2 copies of them, I'd at least try to make sure I could find them. A chunk of the deck is devoted to digging for that reason. What makes Milan better than Renfield? They seem like they're almost the same card except Renfield is cheaper and can sometimes give you extra clues. I'm assuming it has to do with the doom counters but tbh I wasn't entirely sure how they affected the game.

Unexpected Courage I think is something you could look at for both of your decks. Being able to get +2 to any skill test can be very valuable.

As for Milan over Renfield, Milan gives an arguably more important stat for what Daisy should be doing, and is a much better econ engine. Also doom basically is the clock you're fighting against. Renfield really won't work unless you're running a bunch of other doom management stuff.

I like Yorick, although I may look at cutting the flashlights. Also Cherished Keepsake is really good. I'd probably run Leather Jacket over Stray Cat. And Peter's good, but I think with Yorrick the Keepsake generally fills the gap better. Scavenging is kinda meh with him because you'll rarely be investigating, and when you do you're extremely rarely gonna be getting 2 over on your tests to trigger it. It's a powerful card, just not for him so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Zerf posted:

How come? It super awesome with Higher Education, and Daisy can use Book of Shadows to refill it if needed.

Imo, Glyphs is one of the reasons why I think Daisy has dethroned Rex as the number one Seeker. On mutiple occations in our Carcosa campaign has Glyphs cleared 6+ clues (one time 9 clues in a single action), leading to more XP and faster progress in scenarios. As for Daisy herself, she brings so much more team utility than Rex, with Encyclopedia and Old Book of Lore.

I think for Daisy Rite of Seeking is generally better, being that there's no need to unlock it and it doesn't cost xp (which for Daisy I'd typically have other priorities). Glyphs isn't horrible, but being that it's 4xp per, it's just generally a lower priority for me.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Zerf posted:

Rite of Seeking better? But but but, that's 4 resources to make tests at skill 3 instead of native tests at 5, plus the action cost playing the card. That's like a net gain of two actions which can fetch double clues for 6 resources (including the Higher Education pump). You can't even combo it with other Seeker cards like Deduction, since you use willpower to test and not intellect. I can understand that you don't want spend XP on glyphs, but I don't see how Rite of Seeking in Daisy is a good option, like, at all...

The 2 point difference is the difference it would take to get 2 clues from Glyph anyways, so that's a wash (although you can get multiple clues with glyph, i'll admit). Also you have to play glyph as well? Higher Education is a wash since it boosts either (although you get more benefit from Glyph boosts, I'll admit). Comboing with deduction I've heard varying things-I dn't think it works but I've heard some people argue you can commit for the effect, you just don't get a bonus symbol on the test.

You're also ignoring the fact that not only are they 4 xp, but you have to activate the glyphs which you won't always have the time to comfortably do. Also, 8 xp is a big outlay especially since your first XP is likely gonna be Higher Ed, Encyclopedia, and probably Charisma (so you can have Milan and cycle through your research guys or whatever else). So glyph is useless your first 1-4 scenarios, depending on hw much xp you're gaining.

Again, I don't think it's necessarily bad, but I also don't really think it's essential. Especially with arcane slots being so dear. As was mentioned, I think for solo Daisy the dodge one is actually pretty good, just because it allows you to combo in an evade

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

The rules specify that you can only commit cards to skill tests if they have a symbol match. Page 26 of the rules reference.

Yeah that's what I thought but I've seen people say otherwise.

Zerf posted:

The point of Glyphs is really to pick up 3+ clues in one action, if you use them for less then they aren't worth it. So in solo they aren't good (but the evade one is ofc).

The thing with Daisy is that she can activate the glyphs quite cheap, being a tome they are both tutorable via Librarian and she can use their action for free. For other Seekers they are more troublesome to activate but for Daisy that's quite easy to do.

Also, I think our playstyles differ quite a lot - I don't consider Encyclopedia a high priority upgrade. While it is good it can wait a bit. Same goes for Charisma. So Glyphs (which cost 3XP btw) can come quite soon after Higher Education if one wishes. Also, I think that currently the only other spell that Daisy wants to run is Shrivelling, and that's just a backup plan until you get/play Stange Solution. Shrivelling(0) in the later scenarios doesn't cut it, especially with a low will of 3, and Daisy can't upgrade it. So I don't think arcane slots are a premium either.

It could be a playstyle thing. I pretty much think old book of lore/encyclopedia are the go-to things for Daisy, and I find arcane slots a bit more of a premium as I don't think her base 3 mind is that bad since she has higher education to make things up. Plus using either Hubert's Key or Rosary are always options. Also I've ran her only solo/duo, so getting 3+ clues is a bit less important, which probably colors my views.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Last investigator from the next expansion was previewed, looks really interesting. Limited deckbuilding, but starts with 5 xp.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Laughing a ton at “You Handle This One!”

it's a great flavor card and maybe helpful but it's also a total dick card. It even gives you a resource!

I also think Reliable may see some use. Giving +1 to hit on a machete for instance seems solid, and 1 xp isn't too much.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Not necessarily a dick card. If it's for a check that someone else is waaaaaay better than you at and failing it is harmful to the entire party then it's pretty beneficial all around.

Oh sure but i'm likely just gonna use it to move corrosions and other stuff like that. Cause I will 100% be playing this card.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Same here. Last time I played through The Devourer Below I was finally doing pretty well after like half a dozen attempts and felt like I'd finish in time. Then I hit all 3 copies of the card that adds a doom counter over 3 turns, the discard got shuffled back in and I hit all 3 again in a row. So that was a fun way to immediately lose a game I was winning otherwise. And now I'm getting flashbacks to Pandemic Legacy.

Imo you kinda got to ignore bad results from Ancient Evils. It and Corrosion I think are easily the worst cards to have to deal with. Having 3 in the set is really extreme.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also, I finally got Key of Ys in play (had it lost to corrosion in two scenarios in my hand twice previously, man I hate that card) and it's incredibly ridiculous. It makes Calvin Wright look even more silly with how weak they made him. +3 to all stats with some minor setup is obviously strong, but the drawback is very easy to mitigate (and honestly, even losing the key isn't too bad outside of a certain effect on an encounter card). I ran it on Ashcan Pete, but I figure it would easily work with any number of characters (barring Agnes). It's probably the most game-warping card (Delve probably being the most campaign-warping card).

Also I'm dying to try a lot of the new investigators. I knwo they haven't been out long, but has anyone gotten them around at all? We actually had someone die in our recent campaign so he busted out the new Guardian and he seemed to perform pretty well (also Survival Knife is a good card).

edit-Also yeah, Ashcan's great to pair with anyone who needs some setup to get going. The only issue he really has is since Survivor is such a generalist card set and he's not naturally focused, he doesn't have the top end power a lot of other characters do in group play imo (outside of certain builds abusing key/dark horse, and even the key builds are just "play key" which anyone could). Plus Survivor often doesn't make as good a use of XP as other classes since they're built around exiling a lot instead of having the high-end cards other classes get.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 14, 2018

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I didn't know .32 was disliked? I always thought the "base" guardian package was 2x of machete, .32, guard dog, and vicious blow. And the upgraded .45 as a solid replacement for the .32.

And I used to think fire axe on Zoey was good but I've been convinced otherwise. As mentioned, guardians don't lack for solid weapon choices, and opening slots for your limited non-guardian cards is always useful. On the aforementioned list, Lucky is always a solid choice, especially since her ability should (at least initially) in fights make sure you have the money to spend to play it. I'd personally probably run some mix of Lucky, Ward, and Slight. Add Delves if you want to give up a bit of power early to help break the game later.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I think Machete is the best weapon, but having some other options is also necessary. I'm aso wondering how much is solo vs. group play. In solo play, you're rarely gonna have multiple enemies or the need to engage them outside of just walking into them.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The big thing with .32 is there's nothing else really to slot in there to start off. Survival Knife imo serves a different purpose (although I do like it). I've always gone .32-.45 upgrade and guard dog-upgraded beat cop. Guard dog is really good because it's damage without a test. Trench knife isn't actually as useless as you make it out-you don't use it for it's attack, you use it to ignore AoO on engages. It's basically a defensive item. It's not always worth a slot, but it's not useless (blackjack on the other hand...)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

oh god, I was thinking of hard knocks but couldn't find it because I didn't remember the name and thought it was an asset that started in play and was level one or two, so my filtered searches never found it

:negative:

thank you!

Unless your off-cards are really key to your build, Jenny usually wants to run streetwise and physical training when you get a bit of xp. You can then dump cash to boost any of your stats.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Imagine playing Ace in the Hole four times in one game as well :getin:

Also, while I agree that not being able to upgrade shriveling isn't great, Song of the Dead is also a very nice attack spell, especially if you have a fair chunk of skull tokens in the bag.

I believe painted world says it can't copy exceptional events.

That said, Sefina is really solid. She doesn't take the ramp time that some of the other rogues do just because her ability gives her a better chance of getting what she needs early.

Lola is interesting. I'm not sure if she's good yet because as was mentioned you kinda need to rely heavy on passives, but she's also someone who will gain a lot as the card pool increases. She's probably around Caroline in power level. Way above Calvin for sure (who I still maintain is pretty much junk, it's especially funny how much he ended up nerfed when they had just recently released Key of Ys.). Calvin really needed to have base stats of 2, or more health/sanity and a cap to his bonuses, or something.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

I can see how they have 2xp worth of improvements compared to the 0xp versions.

The problem is that the default cards were terrible.

At 1 xp they'd overlap the fast skill booster's design space too much.

They were decent for Rogues since they're rich typically. Problem is rogues already have 10 million things they need to spend xp on, so upgrades to the boosters are a llow priority.

Also Hot Streak I see really only being useful as an upgrade on the way to the upgrade. As is it's not really much better than emergency cache xp2 or xp3, since you have to have 5 resources to start with. Still powerful, but seems a low priority for the people who the new card enables.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Zerf posted:

I disagree. People keep comparing it to EC upgrades, but that's not what it's for - it's there to run alongside EC! Take Leo with some expensive allies, for example. You want Beat Cop, Venturer, Treasure Hunter and Hired Muscle. You run 2xEC, 2xHS(2), 2xLone Wolf. Now your economy should be set.

Maybe Leo isn't the best example, I've yet to run him, but the point still stands - if you need more econ cards, HS(2) is solid, if you don't need more cards but just slightly better cost curve, then upgrade EC.

The problem is the times you have 5 money and need more are gonna be rare. Basically it's a great card to have initially, but decreases rapidly in value. If it were 3->8 instead of 5->10 I'd be all over it.

Also as an aside treasure hunter's really underperformed in my Leo deck. I've also not added hired muscle for much the same reason. There's more than enough other allies that I want to put into play that you actually run into issues with slots I'm finding. They're also really underwhelming with stuff like calling in favors. I'm actually finding Leo to be kinda tricky to build because he's got a lot to balance. I'm actually moving toward all guns with him, but your xp is stretched really thin.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yeah I was confused, I had thought Ace was already out and thought maybe they upgraded it.

Borrowed time is definitely interesting, although rogues are already really stressed on XP.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

My play group thinks he's the worst character in the game by far. He basically has to work ultra-hard just to get to "average" stats, at which point he's close to death. And that's his hero power.

I really think they needed to make his health/sanity 8/8 and cap the bonus, or give him base stats (even 1s would help a ton). It really feels like they overcorrected from Key of Ys (which tbh if you're not playing hard mode shouldn't even be played, it trivializes the game if you get it out).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Honestly I wish they would've made L5R a traditional release pattern and Arkham the whole accelerated thing since the Arkham packs actually kinda depend on each other for campaigns. Also it sucks seeing stuff previewed months away.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

It looks absolutely wonderful. Although I had always kinda saw Eldritch Horror as the revamped Arkham Horror board game (and the card game as an even better revamp).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

She easily can be, but you'lll probably want to lean to having some evasion/avoidance in Rex in case it takes awhile for Agnes to get her setup. That said she's pretty killer with her passive, and shriveling is arguably the best weapon in the game. You also can skip out on some of the clue gathering stuff since you're teaming with Rex who basically is the clue master.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I have the big FFG mat, and most of our group also has individual mats (as well as the team covenant holders). We actually grabbed one of the patterns of etsy and had that printed. It has slots for everything, but it works decently enough as there's also a generic area for everything.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

I like that Mystic. She might be good?

I'm not sure. She kinda reminds me a bit of Carolyn in that she's gotta be a mostly support character (although it'll depend on what cards she can take to some extent). Casting with a 1 base mind for a lot of stuff is gonna be rough, and none of her other stats really let her focus on doing much. And I know she can grow her mind but being that every other mystic is at least 4 mind, she's gotta do 4 cancels before she's at the base level of all the others. Although I could see possibly building her to more take advantage of all the weird mystic effect cards that don't actually test. I've just found that having a full support character seems kinda weak in most groups, although that could be how we've played/built things. She's interesting for sure though. They still making great designs.

IcePhoenix posted:

My group started the Forgotten Age

Holy gently caress that first scenario is insane. Does it get any easier/less assholey?

The first FA scenario is a beast, but I have a feeling it's because there's so much XP available. We've found that the difficulty drops after that. That said,, the supply system imo is really horrible especially for larger groups. There's some weird stuff that happens though, the scenario is really pretty cool after the first mission imo.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Available in general or how much you're expected to finish with? We only ended up with four. Currently debating how to spend it.

Also arkham db is annoying me because I can't publish my deck since it still thinks thermos is unreleased.

The first scenario has a max xp available of 10+2 to one person afterwards. We've gotten one off the max once, but our campaign on Saturday we started wasn't nearly as successful. That said, i have a feeling the scenario is also kinda a trap, and that it's meant to punish people who try to farm everything out because trying to get everything gets really dicey, especially with Ancient Evils floating around (btw, still my selection for worst designed enemy card group-it's just way too punitive for anything but solo play to have 3 possible)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Everyone but like Wendy who can use the Obol is very greedy for XP, always take the Obol and live on the edge.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I run Ever Vigilant, Elusive and either Shortcut or Emergency Supplies under Stick to the Plan on Mark. I've also been running him using Timeworn Brand in our most recent campaign, and I think it's the best weapon in the game. No ammo, one hand, +2 to hit, and the megaswing for an especially hard enemy is a hard combo to beat. It's pricey both in XP and cost, but honestly i think it's easily worth it and is seriously gonna open up a lot for non-Guardian fighters (Silas, looking at you).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Arkhamdb has that xp count wrong fwiw, it looks like it's actually 22 xp. I'm wondering if it's counting Borrowed Time as exceptional?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Oooh, looks like my deck was technically illegal. Borrowed Time isn't coded correctly, so it's not doubling the XP cost like it should (and you can add more than one copy on the site). ArkhamDB has my deck listed at 19xp when it should actually be 22xp. Good catch.

Oh well, at least it didn't come up in-game. Not sure what I would cut to bring it down. Maybe 2x Pay Day and 1x Lockpicks as all of my resource generation was done by Burglary and The Skeleton Key. Or I'd just eat a third weakness I guess. :shrug:

I think those are good cuts. Maybe instead of Lockpicks you could cut down the Chicago Typewriter to Ornate bow or Lupara? Or maybe cut Fence? How effective did it seem to you? Just seems kinda pricey to me for the effect and for I'm not sure you'll ever get enough value back. I have wanted to try it though. Also I'm not a big fan of Liquid Courage in Finn-unless you're using it on other people it's a serious waste with his mind of 1.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Rita looks really powerful to me. Ace in the Hole + Will to Survive should lead to some super powerful turns. Also with Ornate Bow she should be able to put out decent damage. 5 sanity can be mitigated somewhat by Peter Sylvester. Also 3 mind and the usual survivor tricks will also help some with the mitigation.

Carolyn suffers a bit because she doesn't really do much that other people don't d better (mainly Daisy or Norman). She has a real solid econ engine, and I think there's been enough added cards since we ran her before to make her a bit more useful, but unless your team can afford a dedicated support player she's kinda meh. She can chip in with some investigation help, but with her limited access to seeker cards she can't really work as the main cloover. Also for some reason she actually has less stats than most people (11 vs. the 12 that is average) which makes her dipping much into spellslinging somewhat downgraded. She really should've had a 4 mind.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yeah I don't understand their balancing with some of the characters. Both Lola and Carolyn seem to suffer from a similar problem in that their statlines are lower than they should be due to their flexibility in card selection, but with the way the game's set up neither is able to really properly leverage that flexibility.

In theory, Carolyn should be able to have a decent supply of money, handle some off-clue gathering, and obviously keep people sane. I think her best role would be using some of the mobility stuff like pathfinder/shortcut to move around and use her (theoretical) money supply/healing to keep the other investigators focused on doing what they need to (either fight or get clues). I'm thinking stand together, charles ross, esq, a healing package, etc. Maybe even teamwork and the new ally they previewed for guardian. Chuck some dynamite when necessary/appropriate. Maybe even do some sealing to keep the chaos bag clean. That's basically how I see her being the mst effective. She felt really bad when we had her in our group before, but she didn't have all the tools and as was mentioned, her flaw is really bad especially considering her signature card isn't really that good

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Joe Diamond seems to have the potential to be really powerful. Maybe not to the level of Rex, but if he gets guardian 0-2 access and full seeker he'll basically be able to handle everything. Guardian 0-2 will give him upgraded Beat Cop, Vicious blow, and Machete. He'll even be able to make use of Scientific Theory for a fighting boost. In terms of combat all he really loses is access to some of the higher weapons, but I'm not sure any of those are better than Timeworn Brand anyways. His insight deck will give him a lot of free access to either testless clues or card draw/selection.

Preston should be interesting. I think he'll actually end up being really good during the investigator phase-he kinda reminds me of Ashcan Pete where he's got junk stats but he'll be able to do investigating or fighting really well (using money/streetwise/fire axe instead of a dog). Lola will also be a great upgrade for him since buying a clue a turn won't be any problem. The fact that he's gaining 5 resources a turn guaranteed will also probably open up some card choices that weren't really viable otherwise. Dealing with treacheries could be a problem though.

I also like that while the side effects seem bad from both the weaknesses aren't all that hard to deal with I think. After playing Mihn in our last campaign an investigator not having a crippling weakness is something I really appreciate.

Also both of the previewed cards seem decent. Fingerprint kit is expensive, but the effect is obviously great (and will combine with a magnifying glass). Money Talks is very flavorful and will be good for some people. If you're not running Dark Horse I think it would be a great defensive option for Preston.

Zerf posted:

While you can use DH with him, I'm skeptical that it's a good idea. Capping his income to 4r/turn sounds good, but you also need to reach a testing strength at 7(on hard, 6 on standard) somehow - and you want to be able to run multiple of these tests on a single turn.

I think he'll be very good with Ys, since he'll probably play a lot of allies and will be able to protect it well.

Ehh, DH seems solid with Preston. Streetwise/Fire Axe gives a lot of boosting ability, and you'll also have access to all the low-stat helper cards as well. Although it may not end up being optimal, will take some messing around with.

And Ys is stupidly broken and basically every investigator with an accessory slot is good with it.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 22, 2018

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also of note is that direct horror doesn't go on it. It's basically the only card we don't play with as it trivializes everything less than the hardest difficulty. The card partially mitigates it's own drawback as well since once you've gotten +3 willpower you're gonna be making a lot more of the tests that would bother you (or dodge/kill enemies that would inflict horror)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Ys is entirely broken and trivializes things on all but the highest difficulty. Just because you don't have to use it doesn't mean the card isn't game warping. I ran it with Ashcan in one of our Carcosa playthroughs, and we didn't even bother finishing the last scenario because we decided it was too trivial to win. I have a feeling that it's power is why they were so conservative with Calvin.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Dunwich is fine as a follow up to the intro campaign I think. I actually like how it eases you into stranger types of scenarios. I actually think I prefer it to Carcosa (still not sure where Forgotten Age would fit in, there's a lot going on in that one and I'm still processing it).

One thing though of note is that there's a Return to Dunwich campaign enhancement coming soon (supposedly Jan 10, according to a lot of retailers) that will likely upgrade some things. I know one card that is supposed to make some things a lot less random is supposed to be changed (alternate ancient evils, thank goodness ) and other improvements, so that may be something to take into consideration.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The only reason would be looking at the scenarios you may get the itch to buy the rest too. Otherwise unless you want to make things harder there's no real reason to not use them. The campaigns will be somewhat easier with the additional player card options, but I don't think necessarily a huge amount. I think they've done a pretty good job keepign too much pure power creep away, it's more there's different playstyle/options that work as sidegrades.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The only thing I'd say about playing the cards only when you hit the scenario is that there's really no relationship between the actual scenarios and the cards in the pack typically. If there was something thematically tying them in I could see it, but with no relationship it doesn't make much sense to me. On top of the fact that if you go back to replay a campaign, it's gonna be annoying to have to look up which cards actually match what.

But again, whatever works for your group is fine. It's a great game regardless.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 1, 2019

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Forgotten Age kinda has an inverse bell curve thing going on with difficulty. Like the early and late scenarios seem kinda rough, but the middle aren't nearly as bad imo.

Also glad you're enjoying Calvin. We've had a couple people try him and just hated it, he's basically useless. There's some support cards but imo they seem to make him become "passable" rather than "good". What's your group if you don't mind me asking?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

I think the best thing about the new Bandolier is that it will let you hold a non-flamethrower end game weapon as well as your regular machete + utility item. Although Timeworn brand still is likely just better, and if you're not going with that Flamethrower is still probably the next best option so who knows how useful it'll actually be. Upgraded Contraband and Preposterous Sketches are also interesting/good respectively but I think the upgrades with the scenario itself will likely be the most interesting.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Kalko posted:

I played duo FA for the first time at Xmas, as Leo, who is not the most agile dude in the jungle. So many pitfalls, snake bites, and ants everywhere. Ants!

Since Leo is 'the follower guy' I kind of just chucked in a bunch of followers with Calling In Favors, but in hindsight it probably would've been better to go with a standard guardian build and just treat his reaction as a bonus money-saver, and it's amazing for holding onto followers until you really need them since you can drop one safely with enemies present. The Treasure Hunters sure didn't do much.

Also I had to try out the M1918 BAR and it was great fun to use, but the Flamethrower was probably the smarter pick (with Well Prepared, I only saw that 'combo' mentioned here later on).

Yeah I actually found much the same thing-treasure hunters (and hired thugs for that matter) didn't do much. If they didn't cost xp they'd be fine to adaptable in/out, but as it is I don't think they're that worthwhile. Honestly I think Leo's biggest asset is the fact he basically is a guardian with a good deal of the rogue economy. He also gets Sleight of Hand which helps save on money/ammo.

Also in 4 player games, I've found Timeworn Brand to be basically the best end game weapon for anything not expert difficulty (where the huge to hit bonuses are a bit more relevant)-and even there it's competitive. I think they're really too conservative with the ammo on most weapons. In 3-4 player games, you will likely have one dude handling all the fighty stuff, and typically they're not having enough ammo to deal with 3-4 players worth of monsters. Which makes Machete and Timeworn Brand aka Machete (5) so essential-they only take one hand slot, and the lack of ammo means they're able to fight basically everything. Timeworn will even give you what amounts to ammo 1 for a super boosted attack. And of course they're ammo cards, but that's taking up more actions, resources, and deck space. Honestly that's why I like Flamethrower so much-it lets you at times get more than one kill per ammo charge, on top of having 4 (which is more than the other end game weapons besides the BAR, which is a weird case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Encounter cards (usually) go in your threat area.

Investigators can interact with cards in the threat area of all other investigators at the same location as them.

(almost all) Weaknesses are encounter cards.

I wouldn't say almost all. Basically just treacheries and enemies are encounter cards.