Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Zerf posted:

It would count as 2 - 3 + 2 = 1 (vs 2, i.e. a fail).

This is the correct answer and it is the shortest explanation. For the full explanation, see the section on Modifiers in the rules reference.

Essentially, values are continually updated with all modifiers added and subtracted together until the check is completed, at which point a negative skill value becomes 0.

On a separate note, I spent entirely too much time organizing my cards this weekend, but I now have all my player cards (for four players) sleeved or in a binder for easy reference, all the encounter decks sleeved and separated so that any scenario can be taken out and played on its own without having to move cards between scenarios, and everything fits into one box:

Not pictured are my Dunwich Legacy and Carnevale of Horrors cards, since until I play any of those scenarios I'm pretending they don't exist for the purposes of my silly temporary storage solution. :colbert:

It was still satisfying even if it will be short-lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

bobvonunheil posted:

Wow, almost all of these cards are amazing.
Is there an actual release date for Miskatonic Museum yet?

Street date is Thursday, February 16th (so this week).

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Played Carnevale of Horrors for the first time last night, two-fisted with Zoey and Rex, and it's quickly become my favorite scenario so far. It's really intense and exceptionally thematic. Looking forward to trying it again and not getting pummelled into the ground!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

bobvonunheil posted:

It seemed to me to be incredibly combat-driven, with so many enemies that kept cropping up, and racing ahead of them didn't exactly help. We lost after rescuing everyone and spawning Cnidathqua, because we just couldn't deal at all with the Baleful Reveler chasing us down. It didn't help that the docks were one step counterclockwise from the Basilica, the furthest possible distance away.

Good scenario though and I really enjoyed the unique ideas they threw in.

You really have to keep at least two characters together for this one, I think. I tried it again and got Resolution 2 just barely. Both Zoey and Rex had 1 health 3 sanity left each, and this time around I chose to take 2 horror every time Lost In Venice came up just so I could keep the investigators together.

Having Pathfinder on Rex, 2x Shortcut on Zoey, and a location arrangement with Streets of Venice (free move) >> Basilica (free move with Abbess) >> Canal-Side made movement a hell of a lot easier, too, which made it easier to get away from the Baleful Reveler after evading him once.

Coolest moment of that game was having to move Rex one location ahead of Zoey so she could Dynamite Blast two enemies and herself so that she could safely rescue the final Innocent Reveler.

Sorry for all the spoiler blocks. It's just a really neat and challenging scenario!

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 19, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Obama 2012 posted:

Another question--can any investigator complete Search for Izzie when it's attached to a location or only Jenny?

Weird. So I looked up Smite the Wicked to see the exact wording and it specifies Zoey Samaras as the one who will suffer the trauma since anyone can end up killing the enemy to which the weakness is attached.

Searching for Izzie only ever references "you," specifically in the last part about suffering trauma (which is different from how Smite the Wicked is written) which suggests to me that only Jenny can satisfy the conditions. It's from her deck so "you" should be referencing Jenny and/or the player controlling her.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I hadn't realized it had been errata'd, thanks! Now it reads exactly like Smite the Wicked so yeah, even without the official word on it, that would have been my interpretation, too.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
There's a proper resolution for when all of your investigators are eliminated. It's the first one I got, too. Should be the first one on the DO NOT READ (until you've finished the scenario) cards at the end of the pack of cards.

The one where you all wake up, groggy, to a scene of carnage and a disappointed Abbess, but you're still alive.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Solo on Carnevale is just as much of a nightmare. You either have the mobility to get around as needed, or the ability to deal with the tough enemies that spawn, but generally not both.

It's a really, really difficult scenario and is probably my favorite one so far.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Fat Samurai posted:

Got Essex County Express. Print runs in Spanish are so low that I'm forced to order on day one and pay postage :(

The print run was pretty small in general. The store I work at got allocated 2 copies, meaning there wasn't enough to go around even at the distribution level.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I haven't looked at the scenario yet, but maybe it's possible for it to come up in another train car that could also be part of the setup, but might be left off if it doesn't get randomly shuffled in? Or perhaps in the agenda, act, or resolutions.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Spending additional actions for the Tommy gun feels akin to struggling hard to hold it steady while you unload. I think it's pretty spot-on.

That said, seeing the words "Chicago Typewriter" before looking at the card and understanding the reference made me think it was a Seeker card and would be an actual typewriter. :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Based on the timing rules, the attack would have fizzled because revealing the chaos token causes its effect to be applied before you determine success or failure of the skill test.

It's less that the skill test fails and more that the skill test does not continue and ends prematurely.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Honestly, since this is such a story-heavy game and is like roleplaying-lite, letting your friend go out in a blaze of glory is the best way to play, even if it requires fudging the rules a bit. :)

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Anyone have a link to some files for organization printouts or something? I'm too lazy to make my own, but if I have to, I will, probably this week.

More specifically, I want to be able to separate out and label the encounter sets since they shift around so much. It was easy to just keep the core box scenarios fully built since two cores gives you enough for that, but making headway into the Dunwich Legacy campaign, I'm realizing I need to swap sets around quite a bit.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Thanks! I totally forgot that was a resource I could tap into.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Ashcan Pete is really living up to his title as a drifter in my solo campaign. I've brought him through the core and carried him over through Miskatonic Museum. He shows up to every scenario half-dead and nearly insane, watches his vagabond bench warmer buddy go insane, watches his dog get kicked around, then inevitably just says, "gently caress it, not my problem," resigns, and moves on, dragging his friend and dog away, having barely accomplished anything.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
All aboard the Essex County Express! Here we go again, turn 1, loyal, furry kickball and concussion-riddled dropout ready to go. What could possibly go wrong this time?

fake edit: Ashcan Pete, the drifter, the loving homeless box car boy, managed to walk all over this one like it was nothing. This train-hopping hobo knows his goddamned trains.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Orange Devil posted:

So Essex County Express question:

One of the passenger cars lets you gain resources by stealing a passengers luggage. You're instructed to "remember" this, which means it might come up later in the scenario but not in future scenario's (in which case you'd be instructed to "record in the campaign log" or some such). So uhhh, which card exactly has text that cares about whether or not you stole a dudes stuff?

Ok, now that I've played through​ the scenario, I'm wondering about this, too. I couldn't find anything to do with anywhere, unless they intended for you to record it, not remember it.

I didn't end up doing it, in any case. I was too afraid of the consequences before I realized that was what you had asked about previously. Maybe you're just meant to feel bad for doing it. :shrug:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Baron Snow posted:

I feel like I'm playing Rex Murphy correctly.

Double or Nothing is a Fortune card. :ssh:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PJOmega posted:

Could have another investigator commit it to the test.

Good point. Rex can still have someone else commit Fortune cards to his skill checks, but he can't build a deck with any included.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, Blood on the Altar investigator cards:

(sorry for them being huge, I might re-upload them with smaller versions)

Some pretty bonkers stuff. Also :lol: at the flavor text on Defiance.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

lummawks posted:

What sleeves are you guys using? I've used Fantasy Flight sleeves in the past for other games but find that they stick out above the top of the card a bit much for my liking.

I've been using Dragon Shields clear matte for the investigator decks, and a combination of old leftover Dragon Shields clear (glossy) and FFG sleeves for the encounter decks.

The FFG sleeves do have a bit too much extra room for my taste as well, but they're cheap as hell and I keep everything sleeved for easy mixing of the encounter sets on a whim, so I use up a lot of sleeves.

COOL CORN posted:

Blood On The Altar came out YESTERDAY and it's sold out everywhere except CSI. That's ridiculous.

That is ridiculous and I'm sorry. My store was only able to get a hold of twelve copies, and it's been a similar story with the other packs (and other games--Destiny is just as abysmal). If I could send you a copy I would, but Asmodee licensing is dumb, so I can't. :(

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Preview article for the Path to Carcosa deluxe expansion: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/17/the-path-to-carcosa/

Nothing terribly new for anyone who looked at the leaked spoilers earlier in the thread, but the new "hidden" mechanic on some of the encounter cards is an interesting design space to explore.

Also really looking forward to giving Lola Hayes a shot. I hadn't realized she could use level 0-3 from any class, so that will open up a whole host of options for interesting builds, moreso than the original level 0 only that I thought she was restricted to.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Just played through Blood on the Altar on my solo run. That was... one concussion too many for Ashcan Pete's forgetful football friend. While Duke was busy gnawing on monster bones, Peter wandered off with a "friendly local nutritionist" who offered to show him, "this fabulous new diet to make you big and strong! Just come down to my cellar and I'll show you..."

:rip: Peter Sylvestre, I hope you're throwing a pigskin with the elder gods in the afterlife.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If there isn't one readily available, you might have to take the time to just go through arkhamdb.com and grab the images yourself.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 23, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Lichtenstein posted:

Goddamn, Inquiring Mind is level zero.

As an aside, as I'm late with dunwich mini-packs - have we seen the secret behind Strange Solution so far?

Not yet, no, despite there being like three different places it seems like it would fit (this upcoming pack included).

Maybe four for a joke option of you drinking it at the Clover Club.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm kind of surprised they included three new Rogue cards instead of the usual two per class. I really dig all of the ones from this pack, but man, there are some subtle (but really important) changes between the normal and upgraded versions of the Rogue and Survivor cards.

-Opportunist upgraded is now succeed by 2 or more instead of 3 or more.
-Survival Instinct adds an extra Agility icon, but more importantly, if you succeed, you Evade all enemies and move, instead of just disengaging them. This one is REALLY nice.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there any reason (besides being a bloody stupid use of 6 resources 90% of the time) I can't trigger 2 Pathfinder cards each turn?

None whatsoever. You are the most Pathfinderest of Pathfinders.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Obama 2012 posted:

... can damage hitting the pipe be assigned to assets like a Bulletproof Vest?

Yes. Smoking Pipe does not force you to take direct damage, so it can be assigned to other viable assets.

Clearly your bulletproof vest is styled as a smoking jacket.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
New article up about spending experience during a campaign. Nothing terribly amazing about it, but they did preview one card that I think we haven't seen yet:

I dig this one a lot. More to deck out Jim!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
A general suggestion building on PJOmega's: start with some mono-role decks, make them thematic rather than fine-tuned, and go from there. Part of the fun, in my opinion, is the bit of roleplaying the game encourages and simply seeing what happens to your character, even if it's horrible.

i.e. If you're going with Agnes, give her some cool spells, some witchy allies, and maybe some :catdrugs:. If going with Jenny, give her lots of money and ways to use it, etc.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Obama 2012 posted:

I'm agonizing over whether or not to throw together a new character or try and finish the last two Dunwich scenarios with my battered, broken Zoey. She was always a little nutty, but Undimensioned and Unseen pushed her up to 5 mental trauma, meaning she'll start the game 1 brain away from madness.

On the other hand, she's got a hell of a lot of experience sunk into her. Also, I've already played through Where Doom Awaits with my solo Roland and found out the hard way that it might very well be the last Dunwich scenario if we fail. If that's the case, I worry it's a bit late in game to be trying to bring in someone new.

If I can get my hands on an amulet or some booze early on I could be fine, but if not she could end up going insane and throwing the game for the whole team.

Decisions!

I say go for it!

That said, I finally got around to going through Undimensioned and Unseen with my heavily traumatized Ashcan Pete, and he went permanently insane upon witnessing his faithful hound become a lupine thrall before his eyes.

(Duke took the damage from combat retaliations, and a thrall with Altered Beast attached waltzed up and did the last point of Sanity damage to poor Pete, giving him his fifth and final mental trauma.)

I still find it funny that the only Core or Dunwich scenario the train-hopping hobo managed to actually complete without resigning or losing to health/sanity loss was Essex County Express, and he blew through it like it was nothing.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 16, 2017

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

medchem posted:

I thought Ashcan Pete was amazing?

He is really good, but a combination of bad luck and probably not-so-great upgrade choices led to his thematically appropriate end.

The game is still loads of fun, even if you're losing horribly, since it lets you continue with scenarios and forming a narrative regardless of how you perform.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

thocan posted:

Got my hands on two cores recently, and having a blast with that both solo and two-handed, mostly some combination of Roland, Agnes, and Daisy. Haven't really figured out Skids yet, and Wendy I've only played once. Something about them just isn't clicking for me. Any tips for them would be welcome, maybe I'm just not seeing something obvious.

I had a lot of fun with Wendy using Scavenging and Burglary together with actually pitching her Amulet for skill checks instead of playing it. The wild icons on it makes it versatile, and you can get it back pretty easily with Scavenging if you pitch the Amulet for an investigation check.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
It will stay with that character.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Dr. William T. Maleson would be decent in a Roland deck. Draw a Treachery, drop a clue, redraw into an Enemy, then kill the enemy and pick your clue back up.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Are you folks ever able to pull off these combos? Granted I haven't played anything but solo for a while, but I never feel like I have the time to try to assemble combos and need to just keep moving forward.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Stymie posted:

I'm playing in a campaign with Rex, Skids and Daisy (Rex focusing on clues, Daisy focusing on support with books) and Daisy managed to identify the Strange Solution.

Does that mean that both Daisy and Rex can now upgrade their Strange Solutions, or is it restricted to just Daisy and Rex has to do it too if he wants access to the upgraded versions?

Since your investigators can share knowledge from a thematic standpoint, I would imagine they could swap notes about the strange solution and both upgrade however they wish.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think the way you guys played it makes sense from a mechanical standpoint, if not necessarily from a thematic standpoint. Though you could come up with a few different reasons as to why those things might help, like Vicious Blow being a particularly eloquent reading of the Esoteric Formula because your character had a really great and inspiring chemistry teacher in school and excelled at the subject or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Chaotic Flame posted:

So jealous. When does it hit retailers?

Later this month/early next month.