Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

fetuses aren't people hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

PantherWill posted:

If you German suplex a Nazi, is it ironic or just appropriate?

things can be ironically appropriate

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

on the left posted:

All right-thinking people acknowledge that murdering millions of children is like another shoah, and that nobody would think twice about assasinating the modern equivalent of Dr. Goebbels in front of his family or using a pipe bomb to catch the collaborators as well.

fetuses aren't children, hope this helps

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

on the left posted:

One simple trick to killing anyone without remorse: make their humanity up for debate

fetuses: more human than human women

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Call Me Charlie posted:

Are you cool with this line of thought if it said communist instead of nazi? If not, that's probably why you shouldn't condone or encourage that type of behavior.

Morally justified violence is a subjective thing and something that could easily be turned against you.

https://twitter.com/csbg/status/822906233225117696

(wait why are we trying to use kids' entertainment as an argument?)

And again

communists: well known for killing 12 million Jews, gay people, romani, mentally disabled people

communists: love genocide

communists: white supremacists

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

yellowyams posted:

someone who saves a woman from going through the traumatic experience of childbirth against her will even if she can't afford it or was raped is just like a nazi when u think about it

"that woman is less of a person than a fetus, makes u think

this is why punching nazis is bad"

-not a babyman

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

420 Gank Mid posted:

Why would I punch imaginary nazis while there are still real nazis, unpunched?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Osama shouldn't have been assassinated, he should have been arrested.

a hot take this punchy should be deemed assault :smug:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

It's happened as recently as two pages ago. I'm glad that that's not your position, but it's patently disingenuous to pretend that people arguing against the use of political violence haven't been accused of being nazi sympathizers.

I don't actually buy this argument. Do we have any examples of this really working in history? And I don't know how else to say this, but you're strawmanning nazis. They're not Tolkien orcs, most of them aren't even true ideologues. With pretty much any hate group, what you're looking at is a bunch of people who, at a low point in their life, managed to encounter someone who sold them a narrative where they could blame all of their problems on a convenient scapegoat. Punching them is going to, at best, make them scurry back underground, but it's also going to reaffirm that narrative that they're being held back by other people. Even divorced of the risks of escalation, the use of violence against political groups usually strengthens their internal ties and makes them more resilient to external forces. If you really, really want to effect meaningful anti-racist change, your best choice is to volunteer as a mentor for low-income kids at risk of recruitment.

That's literally all it takes to be a political movement. One issue. There are a bunch of articles on the major news sites where people interviewed members of the women's march and found that in the same way, you could ask three different marchers what their political views were and they'd give three different answers. If we go to a DSA meeting, I guarantee you we're going to find a mix of ideological views, all of whom are united only by a specific set of issues that they feel are worth compromising their other stances to achieve. Even ignoring that that, a mix of liberal and conservative values is what's meant to be fascism's appeal, anyway (historically it was sold as a third way, in opposition to capitalism and communism.)

We can argue if their one issue is so immoral that they loose the right to be allowed to express it as freely as other positions, but I'd disagree with that interpretation for a couple of reasons. For one, any time you create exceptions to a rule, you're automatically providing for the possibility of more exceptions. If we say "You can express any view point you like, except for X," we have very little grounds to complain when someone else decides to add "Y" to that exception. The second is that, as I argued earlier, I don't think you're going to see the effect you want by attempting to suppress an ideology, violently or otherwise. When external forces attempt to exert pressure on any subculture, the usual response is for the group to go to ground and engage in clandestine recruitment, rather than disband. Again, if you really want to choke out racist movements in the US, cut off their growth efforts by mentoring youth at risk of recruitment.

so we should have more sympathy for poor widdle nazis than the victims of their hate crimes, got it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

It's really irritating to see this person stick up more for nazis than for actual minorities who are getting hate crimed.

Punch nazis erryday.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/06/27/violent-clashes-erupt-sacramento-between-white-nationalists-and-antifascists

But first, why are we taking it on faith that it won't? Is it really that unreasonable for me to ask that when contemplating engaging in a campaign of targeted assaults, it should be the responsibility of the people advocating for the action to prove that it will have the results they predict without any undesired escalations?

I think most people find it hard to mentor kids when they're serving time on an assault conviction, but maybe I'm wrong. And I wasn't saying that they only recruit while hiding underground, I was saying that violently suppressing them will have no actual effect on the spread of the ideology.

Oh, it's been almost a day, so I was really starting to feel the absence of this one. "Why are you so concerned about the degradation of social norms that should be protecting everyone, why do you love nazis so much?" :allears:

Why don't you run me through your logic on why minorities will be so much safer once everyone decides that attacking people they don't like is a good idea? Oh, that's right, somehow only Nazis ever get punched in your fairy stories. But of course, minorities are already getting attacked, which means that they can't be attacked more. Oh, I'm defeated. Did I miss a part?

I've got my own opinions on the morality of the action, but it's already clear that most of the posters in this thread have decided that nothing done to their preferred target can ever be immoral, so I'm not going to bother with that angle.

Minorities are already being attacked dumbass, but I'm glad we live in a perfect world where hate crimes don't exist.

Be careful, your white sheet is showing!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

And the Trump supporters will feel like they are being targeted for beatings, and organize into their own gangs for protection. Suddenly all their paranoia about how the liberals are out to get them will be validated, good luck getting the country back to civility once the line is drawn and the fighting starts.

They do already, white supremacist gangs are a thing.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

We fundamentally disagree on this point. So I dunno, we're at an impasse.

I disagree with the base of your assertion and I disagree with your slippery slopes.

thread tell me, what do? I'm still pro-Nazi punching btw.

keep on punching

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Kilroy posted:

I guess a lot of people ITT watched Inglourious Basterds and felt very differently about it than I did:

"You can't mutilate the Jew Hunter like that! He's your prisoner!"

"You operate a cinema! You can't just murder your customers like that! Some of those people who came to this high-profile gathering of Nazi brass for the debut of a propaganda flick might be totally innocent! You monster!"

Yeah, they read trump's presser for Holocaust Remembrance Day and went "well, if the president says all lives matter, who am I to argue???"

swine gonna swine

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

I still don't get how those things lead to the conclusion that punching Nazis wherever you find them in the streets is an OK thing to do.

that's because you sympathize more with Nazis than with victims of Nazis, hth

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

most people i hear talk like that end up arming themselves to fight off the inevitable u.n. convoy invasion

so you know mostly insane white people, got it

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

No, I just have higher principles than you it seems. You have worked yourself up to believe that all your enemies are irredeemably evil so it's ok to attack them wherever you find them, not realizing that over time, the circle of enemies expands more to include first Nazis, the Nationalists, then centrists, then anyone who defends these people. It is possible to have universal principles that apply to people you find reprehensible, because ultimately THEY PROTECT YOU when then the other side gets power.

Also, I find it very strange how you muster up the nerve to attribute intent to people you debate with, especially since you know nothing about me. As someone whose people have been the subject of ethnic cleansing and genocide, and who experienced this first hand in living memory, I am especially sensitive to angry mobs and nationalist hatred (1999 Kosovo War). Finally, since you have branded me sympathetic to Nazis, how far do you think I am removed from being the actual target of these beatings? How much more do I have to say before I am marked for being a Nazi myself?

My great grandparents were tortured by the Japanese for the crime of being schoolteachers teaching English. My grandfather had to hide my great aunts so the soldiers wouldn't rape them.

If we're gonna play atrocity olympics, maybe consider that the people who directly caused ethnic cleansing in your home country, and the people advocated for genocide of non-white peoples aren't exactly gonna listen to you going "but what about discourse :qq:"

I'm glad that you think nazis aren't irredeemably evil, tho. Were you brave enough to let people know on Holocaust Remembrance Day the other day? Did you sit there wringing your hands over Eichmann? Keep equivocating Nazism with centrists and nationalists, you're not comically missing the point.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

having positive opinions about genocide isn't the same thing as doing a genocide and does not warrant the same response

for instance, if a guy is saying genocide is cool and good then i might be like "dude that's hosed up you're hosed up" but if he's actually started a genocide in his backyard, like he set up his own shower facility in a tool shed and is inviting all his jewish neighbors over, then i might do more than just tell him "dude that's hosed up you're hosed up"

-a white person

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

for what I'm sure is the nth time

Naomi Shulman posted:

"Nice people made the best Nazis. My mom grew up next to them. They got along, refused to make waves, looked the other way when things got ugly and focused on happier things than ‘politics,’” wrote Shulman, whose mother Elizabeth was born in Munich in 1934 and grew up in Nazi Germany. “They were lovely people who turned their heads as their neighbors were dragged away. You know who weren’t nice people? Resisters.”

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

there's no justification for being a nazi

might wanna put away your white sheet before you post

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

advocating violence is bad in any context, i don't get why this is hard

that's right. if you're getting raped or murdered, just lay back and take it. and goddamn it if the Nazis advocate death of all nonwhites, i guess all the minorities just have to take one for the team.

u should stop going full strasserite

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pittsburgh lambic yells as the train pulls up to the camps, "at least we didn't use any punches against Nazis, let this be my comforting gift to you :smug:"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

idgi, what does "working to implement it" entail, like did he write a book or something or has he been amassing zyklon b and developing jew-sniffing death showers to secretly deploy at truck stops across the country

active recruitment, insertion of white supremacists into law enforcement, getting a giant Semite whispering in the presidents ear? thats all cool and good

punching Nazis? But what about discourse :qq:

you're so painfully not threatened by this regime that it's not even funny

like you literally can't feel any empathy for people who can't pass a paper bag test

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

no, that's a way of propagating an idea and attempting to build support/a movement, the fact that he failed is a sign that the system as it currently exists is working as intended

no active neo Nazis operating in the us nosiree

*ignores adl, splc, hate crimes statistics*

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

I really hate to "pull rank" about who suffered more, since it is very unhelpful and distracting, but you brought the oppression olympics yourself by calling me a Nazi sympathizer. So let me try to explain this in another way.

If we accept that Nazis have a special status as true evil and are to be hunted down wherever they are found, the natural consequence is that Nazis will be free to be attacked carte blanche. Who gets to decide who is a Nazi or not? Well you might say, his opinions give him away, this guy is clearly a Nazi, therefore he brought him on himself. But since there is no clear line of what is a Nazi or not, and when you leave the judgement to the mobs, people who are not Nazis but might have racist opinions are caught up in beatings (opinions such as Jewish bankers, race realism, standard white supremacists). If you don't intervene, the list of acceptable targets increases with time, if you intervene, you risk of being labeled a Nazi and are subject to the beating yourself. This is what I meant when I compared Nazis to right-wingers and centrists. I fully understand your point, I just disagree with it.

won't somebody please think of the poor racists?

hey here's a clue: nazis advocate for white supremacy and genocide

sorry you have no memory of history before the nineties~

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i don't think you "get" stone cold

keep on capitulating, swine

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

so he has an idea and he's trying to get people to share his idea and it hasn't worked because we don't have some kind of weird active genocide going on, idg the risk

hate crimes don't exist

there's not an active Muslim ban

unless literal camps exist, genocide isn't happening

-totally not a pissbaby

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

Jewish bankers

could you elucidate on what you mean about opinions on "Jewish bankers," by the way, friend

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i have, and as i brought up earlier i don't really see a genocide as capable of occurring in america at the moment and haven't been persuaded to the contrary

-a guait

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i have, and people in the u.s. are getting less murderous each year, rather than more

studiously ignores the rise in hate crimes

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

it relates to them failing hilariously

certainly, there's never been a ramp up in hate crimes against minorities in the run up to a genocide

nope, they appear spontaneously

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i'm saying that i haven't seen any convincing indicators that they will, other than if you scream trump or something, which i don't really sign onto as an indicator of impending fascism or genocide despite joking about it continually in the months leading up to the election

extry extry! person who buries head in sand sees and hears nothing!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

The much analyzed Battle of Cable street here in this very thread shows such an example, where violence against fascists in the streets not only was ineffective, but counterproductive, with membership of the British Union of Fascists climbing by over 2000 after the event. Obviously the war put a stop to the activities of the BUF, that's why they disappeared in the years of the war and after.

http://www.historytoday.com/daniel-tilles/myth-cable-street

My main objection to not allowing people to be punched in the street for being a Nazi follow from this simple principle: If we make it acceptable to punch Nazis, people will slowly start to justify punching their political opponents for non-Nazi related opinions. If we allow this sentiment to grow unchecked, it will deal great damage to the fabric of society. I personally benefit from this stability, as I enjoy discussing contentious opinions with people and don't want to fear being attacked at any point for my opinions. What kind of society will we have if we are only free to talk about non-controversial issues? Not one where we benefit, that's for sure. This is a wet dream of the elites, they don't have to police the population at all, they can just depend on them beating each other over their opinions while they remain in power. If it comes down to the need of them intervening directly, they will have full justification to go after anyone they want for contentious opinions, whether they are real or just made up. It is absolutely critical to not let them have this power, for the good of everyone.

could you please explain by what you meant about Jewish bankers

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Rodatose posted:

does this entire talking point stem back to the unrealistic Fear Of The PC Police that's so popular in culture and which was born out of old cold war anti-communist talking points

it's reactionary garbage from people who are utterly unempathetic to people currently being victimized so yes

people who sympathize more with garden variety anti semites and fear for them getting punched as they squeal
about Jewish bankers

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

you're one to talk about being afraid of the police, looking at the rest of your posts in the thread

the guait laughs as he stands over the bodies of pocs who have been murdered by the state

you silly minorities, he says, you shouldn't have punched nazis

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

you sure think about dead bodies of minorities a lot

it's called empathy, you should try it some time

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i've never tried empathizing with a corpse, how do you do that is it like attempting suicide

so you have zero empathy for victims of the holocaust

victims of genocide

victims of war crimes

victims of murder by the state

so this whole time you really were just afraid of gettin punched, got it

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

what i'm saying is that the evidence i've seen doesn't convince me that a movement large enough to cause a genocide, or anything close to a genocide, is capable of forming at the moment

admittedly it's kind of a ~gut feeling~ tempered by a general tendency to chillax

you have no empathy for victims of genocide, and your gut feeling is how to avoid punches

go jerk off to eichmann, you total loving pig

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

nah, i just stopped taking you seriously a long fuckin time ago :)

joking about victims of police murder

funny

you should tell this stuff at your next cross burning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

whoops, did you die of a police murder :ohdear:

go to hell pig

join your beloved hitler

• Locked thread