Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

So I played K1 first, and it owned until the last dungeon where come the gently caress on guys the guns aren't fun. Then I played 7, and aside from the combat being fulla jank, it owned the whole way through.

I am now playing Y0, and I feel like I need to, personally, have a sit-down with Kiryu, because this boy has bought into some wild poo poo about these yakuza fellers.

Kiryu.

hai

I have to ask you a question.

hai

How... do the yakuza...

Kiryu's eyebrows tighten

...make money?

NANI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

e: although i guess "committing crimes in the hopes of joining the yakuza" makes you morally compromised too

The only real crime Majima commits is putting on that loving jacket in Yakuza 1.

The rest are goofs.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

What the gently caress

Look, I want alt-Yakuza where Majima wears his cabaret tux for 30 calendar years and still beats fools with bats. Printed blazers are for the mooks.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

beat takeshi was really fun in y6 too

kuze wins as best legit actor in a yakuza game though, now and forever

I just had my final Kuze fight and I'm a little surprised I'm bummed about it. But the way he was like "gently caress. Kazama tried to tamp this guy down and we popped the top" is hard to beat.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

I'd just like to say, I appreciated the GTO and Hard Boiled references on this page, and yes I'm turning 37 soon. Kiryu should play saxophone a la Tequila in part 8. Seems like a hobby he could get into.

I can think of no instrument more suited to Kiryu than a trombone.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've now gotten into Kiwami 2 and the second I found the blackjack cheat item it was off to the platinum plate races.

These numbers are so small compared to Yakuza 0. Truly, we live in dark times.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

You do not need to be sincere to be annoying

but doctor, i am ainsley mctree

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

It is really weird that they just stapled the exact same cabaret minigame in YK2 as was in Y0. They did a better job of it in parts (the game itself feels better, the UI is more responsive) but...it's the same game, and even took some steps backwards (the hostess conversations are a worse implementation).

The writing is loving tops in YK2's though. The whole last bit of it is :hmmyes:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Solenna posted:

The Japanese VAs are good enough I've turned up the volume to hear them better despite knowing zero Japanese. (I mean I guess I know nani and kyodai now)

I studied Japanese a little bit when I was younger, and remember only a little of it. I've finished four Yakuza games now and it's brought a lot of what I tried to self-learn into focus in a really weird way. It's like if I was playing a game in Spanish (which I do know) but I didn't know any of the vocabulary, just the structure. It's a little weird, but it is also rad.

Also the Japanese VAs own bones.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

My enjoyment of this series is now retroactively lessened upon learning how they fridged Kaoru after 2.

God dammit.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

man nurse posted:

Yeah that’s one of the major bummers of the series, strong character getting unceremoniously written out of play after being set up so well in 2.

I've played YK1, 7, 0, and YK2 (in that order), and partway through YK2 I was like "Kaoru rules, how have I never even heard of her in 7?"--she's a DLC outfit but you know what I mean. Even knowing that, as I rollercoastered through YK2 I was like "wait, everyone says this series is bad about women--"

--yeah, kind of is. Glad Y7 is better about things, but Judgment 3 should just be Kaoru and an infinite bike rack.

Ainsley McTree posted:

if she stayed in the series, kiryu might lose his virginity and we just can't have that

I like the meme, but there's no way that Kiryu does not, in fact, gently caress. And not just Majima.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 15, 2023

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

man nurse posted:

Kiryu doesn’t gently caress, and it’s canon

Consider the incredible amount of health loss in Yakuza 0 telephone sub-stories. :colbert:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

McCracAttack posted:

My concerns have been alleviated. Thanks for the clarification.

YK1 and YK2 should be next on your list. All will become clear. Also, they rule. Well, YK2 rules. YK1 is YK0 part 2 and is a pretty quick ride.

(I haven't even played Ishin yet and I was immediately able to identify what you were describing.)

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 20, 2023

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

McCracAttack posted:

I whispered "oh hell yes" into an empty room.

good, good

but it's no :nani:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I got Haruka up to C in YK2. That's good enough. She's fine.

SHE'S FINE.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Expert? It was normal in YK2. Do they make it worse later?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I think, for YK1, the beast bug is practically necessary to not hate the combat. Unfortunately, it also trivializes the game's combat.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Fruits of the sea posted:

How big is the change between Easy and Normal difficulty in Kiwami? I'd be kinda sad if enemies stopped using their tougher attacks/dodging etc. I just want fights to go a little faster.

They're still damage sponges.

As I alluded to above, the "secret" is to do the charge-up beast throw (which is supposed to add a big damage bump to your next beast attack) and then whack somebody with a heat action for a billion extra damage (because it actually bumps heat action damage too) and get on with racing tiny cars 'n such.

After dealing with the Kiwami self-heal crap, I consider it a fair trade.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it doesn't help that shimano is in a big empty courtyard with no random objects to pick up, either.

Shimano's courtyard has lamps, I think, but if you aren't thinking about it you'll use them early.

Anyway just do the beast bug and get on with life, you've got cards to collect

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arist posted:

If you want to finish Yakuza 0 without an insane grind I would honestly skip Kiryu's minigame. The cabaret is pretty fun and a much less substantial ask for the player.

It reduces the likelihood that you'll play it in Kiwami 2, though, where it's better and the story stuff is more fun.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

CONFIRMATION THAT KIRYU FUCKS

“a few times”

I expect handwritten notes of apology from all of you

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

History Comes Inside! posted:

That doesn’t confirm poo poo, he’s never married and everyone knows you have to wait until marriage

That segues cleanly into my new change.org petition, “bring back Kaoru you shitbastards”

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Kiryu's new dyed/styled grey hair looks funny.

It's just the high res version of the old man gray bowlcut from every other game and I can't decide if I love it it hate it

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I can’t even tell you what spreadsheet I was working on last week

You can't? Weird. I thought you did a great job

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Larry Cum Free posted:

If you play with English dub, Kiryu should just write down all his dialogue and hand it to whoever he's talking to.

"Kiryu, what does 'nani' mean?"

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel this can only end with implied Kiryu and Ichiban hookup

:nani:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ulio posted:

grinding on Haruka.

:nani:

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

I kind of appreciated their restraint in not doing that. Millennium Tower showdowns are for mainstream games, spinoffs have to find somewhere else to play

Millennium Tower Gaiden is waiting for Agent Kiryu.

It was always over to the left, I don't know how you missed it.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Vikar Jerome posted:

What are the honk honks

They're like puff-puffs, but with honks.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

mp5 posted:

yes

but tbh the first floor is big enough that you can park the bus down there instead, one or two of those and like a jacuzzi and you're maxed out

This strategy is bad for realism though. I should be able to simply live in the bus for my 10 HP.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

The story of these games are essentially a melodramatic soap opera. When you get down to it, there is little difference between RGG games and Days of Our Lives or General Hospital. "This guy you thought was dead is back! But actually he's not back! It's his identical twin brother that you didn't know he had! Who works for the CIA!"

These games are dumb. (Complimentary)

These games are Intellect 1, Style 7, and Kindness 34.56 and they would be wrong to be any other way.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I didn’t use any of the preorder bonus growth stuff because what if I need it later, as is the JRPG tradition
I popped the top on the level boosters at the start of NG+ Hard because I was five levels below where I should've been and even the first fight was beating my candy rear end to an alarming degree, but otherwise, saaaaame

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

This game now has me $3500 in the hole. Because my wife wants to go to Hawaii in March. (okay, I do too)

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah why wasn't there a tomi karaoke song

The actor is a professional musician and they probably couldn't negotiate that with his label.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

lets hang out posted:

i swap people around to every class because the game is really easy so why not

I refuse to swap Kiryu except for the five seconds it took to get Bro-BQ and samurai flaming arrow because I am afraid of disappointing him

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

mods knew

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Hwurmp posted:

Ichiban / Yamai :getin:

tbh protagonist Yamai would probably require some clumsy retcons

Just lean into it, it's fine. Ichiban can just look at the camera and do the goofy "English??" thing and we would all be okay with whatever retcon they wanted to do.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Like a guy will introduce himself and its v obvious that its supposed to be a huge mic drop of a moment "By the way my name is... GEORGE WASHINGTON" and you have no idea who the hell this guy is.

I filled the time between IW and FF7 Rebirth with Ishin (I haven't beaten it but I'm almost at the finale) and as a history nerd who's done some reading about Japanese history, I absolutely marked out at a few of the appearances. My wife's watching along and is just like "why are you like this?"

Still a good RGG game if you don't have that, but that that's here is absolutely marvelous for me.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

trevorreznik posted:

I don't know the period that well but watched the excellent Kenshin: beginnings movie a year or two back and a ton of the names were the same. Like oh, majima is soji? Ok he's the short guy with tuberculosis and the best katana fight in film history and works for the "shinshingumei" whoever that is

The game isn't even remotely historical (like there was a real Saito Hajime, he lived until 1915) but some of the riffs are kinda-clever nods to historical knowledge--we have the name of Okita's original identity, Hirayama Goro, but there isn't much known about him, so, hey, let's make them the same guy, maybe because Hirayama might have only had one eye! It's fun. They didn't take it seriously and trying to read deeply into it would be silly, but it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

I don't remember where I heard this, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere on these forums - this guy's dad was watching a bunch of DIY youtube videos and it was presented by a guy with an animal v-tuber-like avatar. I think he was a grizzly bear or something of that sort.

The Den of Tools. This guy was doing it long before vtubers were a thing, too. He was always very cagey about how he did it because his audience is much too dumb to know what Facerig is and stopped when they changed the licensing, so now he just is himself, being extremely In Montanan and having barely hidden Trump-rear end politics (I sent his channel to the shadow realm when he started talking about the “Woo-han virus”).