Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Apologies if this has already been asked and covered to death, but it’s a big thread; if yakuza 0 is the only game I’ve ever played, will yakuza 6 make sense and be enjoyable, or is this the kind of series that you really have to play in order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

You're better off playing it in order otherwise you're going to be missing huge chunks of backstory, 6 in particular starts leading directly on from the very end of 5.

There are videos accessible from the title menu to catch you up if you haven't played the games, but since 1 and 2 are both out now and 3-5 are all but dead certain to be coming to PS4 in the West next there's not a lot of point jumping into 6 right away, unless you don't have access to 1 and 2 somehow or you don't mind just watching videos to get oriented.

Alright, thanks; I think I'll hold off and play through the rest then (hopefully 3-5 get re-releases in a timely fashion). I started Kiwami but the combat's a little...not great, compared to 0. Which I understand, of course, but still.

Is there any reason to use Dragon style until I start getting it upgraded with Majima fights, or should I just avoid it entirely for now?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The video parlor was creepy but I enjoyed the name of the achievement you got from it. And at least you could skip the actual videos.

The phone dating service, on the other hand, I never finished because I play on a large tv near windows that face neighbors

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just wish they would tell us the 3-5 remasters are definitely coming to the west! gently caress!!!!

I mean they gotta, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

Finally got the Dragon of Dojima in Y0.

Jesus gently caress the real estate game might be rewarding but it's tedious and boring and long as hell. I've exhausted most of the other content in the game already and that's with swapping back and forth to do Majima's Club stuff to wait.

The only other thing thats possibly as tedious is the agent exploration stuff. Just let me phone them instead!

Yeah the real estate game went on just a little too long. I suppose this is at least part my fault but I hit a point where I still had real estate to do, and nothing else, so I just ended up reading a book while the timer ticked down.

After how brokenly OP majima’s style was, i was expecting great things for Kiryu but uhh, unless i was using it completely wrong it’s just brawler, but maybe not as good? The big advantage seemed like it was the ability to dump money into stat boosts, which is nice, sure, but majima’s style was so much cooler.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Onmi posted:

You really are missing the power of DoD. It's main weakness is being supremely slow when you aren't at 3rd gear, but it's really easy to be a monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3NAc6KPljc

Yeah, I'm sure I just never bothered to really learn how to use it correctly.

Also, I think I went through the entire game without really understanding how the heat gauge works; I had been playing under the assumption that it's just a bar that you build up, and then spend on one-shot powerful attacks, but it turns out you can also benefit from just building the bar up and keeping it high? Well, good to know for Kiwami and onward, I suppose

Still, not as embarrassing as accidentally finishing my first run of MGS3 without once using CQC

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

Slugger would still be the strongest style in the game if the only move it had was bat nunchaku

The hardest part of learning majima’s fighting styles is remembering to use anything besides bat nunchaku

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve started kiwami after finishing 0. The thing I miss most so far is enemies exploding into money when I beat them. Does that come back in 2? Also I found mesuking and wow this game got a lot hornier a lot faster than 0 did

And does this game have a business-running aspect like 0 did or can I just spend all my cp at the clown right away and not worry about it?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks for the answers! Too bad about the money but I’ll cope. The hostess club running minigame comes back in kiwami 2 I think I heard, right?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just beat Kiwami :toot:

As good as Tiger Drop is, I kind of wish Kiryu's best move wasn't a counter. Once you get it a bunch of fights just kind of devolve into standing around waiting for enemies to attack, because it's still faster and more effective than pretty much anything else you could be doing.

Is it worthwhile to suffer through "Haruka wants to watch you gamble", or should I just move on to Kiwami 2?

I'm playing through Kiwami now and I met the dragon style trainer in the hobo park but decided to just say gently caress it because I didn't feel like grinding in the arena...but I forgot about everyone saying tiger drop is OP, maybe I should take another look.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Agent355 posted:

The end of each chapter keeps hinting that I'll be able to earn money from business ventures but I haven't managed to do it yet.

Just keep playing, each character gets a business eventually through the main plot.

I finished Kiwami 1; on the whole, pretty, pretty, pretty good, but not as good as 0. The whole climax heat action thing got pretty tiresome pretty fast. I've only played up past the intro in 2 and taken my first steps into kamurocho but I'm liking what I see so far, it's pretty as hell.

I'm enjoying Kiryu as an action movie hero, and I'm choosing to pretend that the part where he slaps haruka didn't happen and am mentally replacing it with the scene where he rescues the puppy from gangsters. As someone who never played a yakuza game until 0, which was my first, Majima I'm having a harder time figuring out; he feels inconsistent (or at least certainly very different) from what he was in 0, and also in (what i assume to be) the original canonical appearances in 1 (I'm guessing the batting cages and shangri-la were his original scenes?). I've decided to just not think about it too much

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 3, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Playing Kiwami 2, rolling up to the omi alliance HQ like

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve never been to Japan, but is it typical to find kettles of boiling water in the middle of the street, attached to no apparent heat source?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

One of the kiwami 2 substories requires me to win at mahjong and, well, I guess that sub story’s not getting finished

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there's a cheat item in the same building, on a different floor. even if you know mahjong, winning with that much of a handicap is basically pure luck

I understand so little about mahjong that I didn’t even understand how much of a handicap that was lol. Maybe I’ll look for that cheat item

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

I finally finished 0's story and what a wild ride that was. I really didn't like Majima's legendary fighting style until I realized that you can use it to stunlock bosses. Chug heatorade and you can keep them juggled in the corner while you slash them to ribbons.

Did Makoto seriously not put 2+2 together when Majima punches out those two punks? She knows he only has one eye and this guy drags off the doctor for a quick heart-to-heart to make sure she stays safe.

Yeah, majima’s legendary is sort of a one trick pony, but boy what a trick.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

man nurse posted:

Yes the entire series is amazing. Kiwami is a much weaker entry, mind, but they’re all worth playing.

On the plus side, Kiwami is pretty short, relatively, and it doesn't have anything like that real estate or hostess club grind to keep you in it for hours and hours.

I don't consider it a bad game, but it's for sure my least favorite of the three i've played (0, kiwami, kiwami 2) and I was very ready to put it down by the time it ended. And K2 is a real treat to play, following the other two.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The dagger heat animation in K2 has you jamming it into your target’s gut and then slamming it home with your knee, so I guess the guy just really knows how to miss vital organs

Also how to sodomize people so hard with a pole that they puke

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did not find the fighting style to be particularly rewarding (compared to majima’s counterpart, which absolutely was) so knowing what I know now, I wouldn’t have spent the time grinding it. But it’s worth checking in on periodically for free money if you’re in the neighborhood.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Policenaut posted:

It's been awhile but I think you can get the Kiwami moves to stuff Shimano by that point. Kiwami 1 makes such a huge misstep by not informing you that the Kiwami moves are something you have to unlock when the tutorial makes it seem like a basic system mechanic.

Yeah all the Kiwami movies can be easily purchased by then, they're the first tier of upgrades. The game just doesn't do a phenomenal job of driving home how important it is to go and buy those upgrades until you're banging your head against the shimano wall and it's too late.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was too stupid to figure pocket racing out so I never finished the plot arc in K1. Outsmarted by a game for literal children :negative:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Unless you gently caress it up and fly off the track

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

E: boosted too hard and double posted

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Majima everywhere kind of hit that curve of repetition where it was fun at first, then it got old, but then it committed so hard to the bit that it finally became fun again by the end. I am glad it's not in K2 though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

robot roll call posted:

I kind of blew through Kiwami to get to Kiwami 2 (highly recommended, Kiwami is good but 2 blows it out of the water) but I never got sick of Majima everywhere. I only got him to just under A rank though, I hear he becomes a slog after that.

As for the regenerating health, it never gave me too much trouble. Just make sure you buy the Climax skills for each fighting style ASAP and pump your XP into Heat upgrades. Also carry around a poo poo ton of Tauriner/ wail on them in rush style to build heat.

Anyways I just beat Kiwami 2 and it was amazing all around. I think 0 still has it beat on content but that new engine is just so pretty...

Yeah the regenerating health isn't hard as such, it's just annoying in that it requires you to drop what you're doing and respond to it in a very specific way (including going into the item menu if you need a heat boost, which is a small chore). It's easy enough to deal with, it just isn't fun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I got addicted to the cabaret in K2 and grinded it as far as I could in chapter 5 and now the game says "come back after progressing the main story further".

Without spoiling anything, is it going to be obvious when it's time to come back, and if not, can someone just tell me which chapter I should be waiting for?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m playing k2 and loving it but it makes me so hungry. I’m also doing dry January and all the lovingly-depicted whiskey is not helping

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Deadguy2322 posted:

I’m just loving tired of threads about any game that gets a PC port turning into “Waaaaaaaa! My autism box doesn’t run this game! Help! My emotions!” for months, burying any real discussion of the games themselves. Keep that stuff quarantined to it’s own thread and it becomes easier for people who want to talk about the games AND for the group therapy sessions for PC victims to guide out how to make their poo poo work. Both sides come out ahead.

Make a thread then

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i think i missed that substory, was it pc-only?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Imagine Tim Heidecker as Kiryu and Gregg Turkington as Majima

*popping out of a manhole cover*

Hey guys,

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Uh, what? "Didn't do horribly by Majima?" Sagawa literally strung Majima up and beat him like a pinata. He took every opportunity to make sure Majima knew he was his little plaything and rub in that he could never leave Sotenbori. He tortured him with a capital T.

That’s just a Tuesday in the yakuza, you can’t take that kind of thing personally

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

When kiryu shoots people off of motorcycles with a gun, he's shooting paintballs, and roads in Japan are famously very soft

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

No Wave posted:

My only very minor complaint about Y0 is it didn't feel like Majima had times that made it feel appropriate to do a bunch of side quests the same way Kiryu did. I know Sotenbori is tiny by comparison so there are fewer quests, it just felt wrong story-wise to screw around once you had Makoto in the warehouse.

She’s got takoyaki, she’s fine

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And Tyler Too! posted:

Is it the grandma? She was my honorary platinum hostess.

I haven’t reached chapter 11 yet and she’s also my VIP so they must be talking about someone else (assuming you mean the head mistress? Maybe there’s another grandma that’s coming)

I’ve also completed the cabaret storyline so whoever you get in chapter 11, you don’t need them; I’d say that if you like the cabaret game, just go for it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

i'm not gonna buy a ps3 for yakuza and my internet is too lovely for ps now to be enjoyable so yeah those can't come fast enough for me

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Caitlin posted:

I just need to get a :thatsrad: out of my system here because bless that purchase, what a gift!

It owns, I've been trying to spread it to other threads

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Millennium tower is exploding again and you know what that means: time for karaoke

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Expect My Mom posted:

i said i wouldnt do it. i posted in here saying i wouldnt do it.

but the main plot took me back to sotenbori and i spent my sunday just doing the cabaret club goddamn it it's really good

if they had a mobile version of the cabaret club, it'd be all over for me

gently caress, i didn't realize i wanted that, but now I'm bummed it doesn't exist. it can't be that hard, just make it sega

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Snake is consistently hornier, but I don’t think we’ve seen him gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah the kiwami heat moves are kind of a nuisance, and they come up more often than they ought to, but the good news is that they go away again in kiwami 2, which is also a way better game in every other aspect and is something to look forward to.