Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i think he stopped the words and is now focusing on bitcoin, but with landlords, or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

a solid line of 'he targets private individuals for harassment, he's not just some conservative speaker and should not be allowed into colleges where he will endanger students' would be helpful but probably won't be allowed to form when the news can just find the most incoherent member of the crowd to interview

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

McGlockenshire posted:

Yeah but there's a huge gulf between punching a nazi in the face on an as-needed basis and what the agitators did in Berkeley last night.

The strategic argument for the Berkeley action is less about clobbering a particular nazi and more about letting liberal university decision-makers know that if they allow shock jocks to visit the university to harass students, the students will take care of their own defence at the cost of the university.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

call to action posted:

So what to do when Michael Moore or Nancy Pelosi is considered a shock jock to the assholes on the alt right?

You suppress fascist student organisation so they can't muster the force to do anything about it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

cargo cult posted:

spencer is going to be beaten within an inch of his life if he shows up in berkeley right? thats how that works? plz say yes

i dunno, is there some reason the place won't be flooded with cops to ensure 'free speech' is protected given how obvious the coming clash would be

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

cool maher and milo can drum up islamophobic hatred together

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

debating milo leading to him being "owned" sounds like a gamer fever dream

he's not a liberal who thinks milo just needs to be shown up and his audience of needy thickos will see the light, he is actually one of those needy thickos himself

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

rudatron posted:

Liberals love to condescend to the left, because the left challenges their self image in the way the right doesn't.

Liberals love to see themselves as the most moral people to ever exist, they love to pretend they are performing incredible sacrifices over the most minor bullshit. The left challenges this, and exposes their hypocrisy. So any opportunity they get to tut-tut, they naturally take.

I tend to frame it in terms of a heroic historical narrative. 'Left' liberals like to think of themselves as the left, the heroes of history engaged in a battle for good with the right, the (sometimes honourable) bad guys. So being opposed by the right validates this self image. Being challenged from the left undercuts this idea and positions them as the bad guys according to their own professed ideals of aiding the downtrodden, advancing toward a better world as the heralds of Progress, etc.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It won't sink Milo among his dedicated Internet fans but it's derailed his ticket to the big time. That was dependent on him being seen as 'dangerous (tee hee)' not actually dangerous, and being painted as a sicko pervert threatening their kids has moved him firmly from the former to the latter among a lot of people whose opinions matter.

Milo never had anything interesting to say, but was famous for being infamous. With the loss of all his big platforms there's nothing to distinguish him from any other alt-right nobody bilking infantile ex-gamergaters. He'll still be around and presumably still target individuals to try to rebuild profile, but he's had a massive setback and could spiral down as well as up.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Of course that just begs the question of why being a paedophile didn't hurt Trump, but I guess 1. he's not gay and 2. there's much more incentive to ignore or explain away behavior by someone promising to restore white power in America than someone promising to annoy people you don't like.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's because the claim that Trump raped a little girl is easily dismissible if you don't want to believe it. All the sexual assault he did to adults is what took all the mental gymnastics.

There's also the stuff about dressing rooms but yeah, it's much more easily dismissible than what Milo was hit with. The big scandal involved being caught on tape in both cases.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i'm not gonna dismiss the idea out of hand but i do hear 'the alt-right are changing the world with their advanced meme warfare' claimed far more often than i see it demonstrated

trump won on the basis of aging whites who don't know what a 'meme' is, and the far right is gaining traction because of the incompetence and cruelty of the contemporary centre. null hypothesis about cartoon frogs is surely that they're just the contingent manifestation of the politics produced by these forces.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

middle-aged journos in 2017 write articles about those crazy internet kids changing the world with frog memes, in 2007 they were writing about this hot new phenom 'second life' that's changing the world with cyber

both are part of something important but in themselves embarrassing footnotes

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

lol about all the left wing people who now have to explain why, when a jewish journalist claimed he was assaulted by an obvious nazi, they assumed the journalist was framing the nazi

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

it's kurt eichenwald. dude is a conplete hack.

he is but the lib-bashing crew blew it on this one start to finish

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

"spammed this at [victim #1] let's see if he dies" really shows the disconnect people have between their behavior online and irl. saying something that flippant about a sustained effort to hurt someone is bizarre. it's like all the death threats that insane people openly tweet to women who have opinions about video games. it's just not something that people would do pre-internet (well, I guess people used to send death-threats via letters to public figures they disliked, but they weren't doing that for the lols/retweets)

warm take: the same alienated 'internet not real lol' attitude that makes it easy to do that is also behind the bad complaints about how deliberately giving someone a seizure being illegal is silly because it's 'going to jail for a tweet' or the like. it was & is a popular attitude but was never actually true or healthy, and has become less so as the internet has become more pervasive and important

the internet is sounds and images and social interaction and all those things are important to people's lives, sometimes to the extent they cause their brains to crash, which is bad

that said I absolutely believe people did this before the internet, they just had different excuses and couldn't broadcast so far

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

no, no, no, no, no, yes, yes, yes, no, no

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tbf woke brands stuff genuinely is virtue signalling

but like, that's just a promo deal?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i don't watch fox so for a long time subconscious word association had me thinking tucker carlson looks like carlton banks. that's my right-wing pundit story.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

3% in a pre-industrial economy sounds like quite a lot of roman imports in the cities or wherever is they cluster

there's only 4.4% muslims in the uk

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

didn't the saxons arrive in like the 4th century, if you're not from wales scotland or cornwall you're not even in the right ethnic group to be wanking off about roman britain

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jose posted:

i still don't understand how cernovich became an alt right leader sounding like that

have you heard the rest of them

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

there must be a nazi-friendly youtube clone by now, they can all go there, i'm sure it'll be just as good

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Al! posted:

right wing superpreditors

cmon dude

superredditors

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

why isn't alt-reddit 'seddit' anyway

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

there's an legitimate concern with how to protect workers with opinions like 'unions are good' or 'don't vote republican' from retaliation

but that's kind of a conversation to have tomorrow, after you deal today with the concrete case of a dude who just told stirred up a ton of poo poo, created a giant PR crisis, and can't be trusted to do interviews or review his peers' work

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

if you work at the cinema they shouldn't be able to fire you for saying 'let's unionise' but they should probably be able to fire you for telling women customers their brains are preprogrammed to prefer romance so they should go see that movie instead of the action film they want

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is it regressive for me to say I don't want us to make an AI smart enough that we ethically have to give it rights

it's not regressive as such but it does mean the future jupiter brain is going to torture a million reconstructed mindclones of you for eternity

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

speaking of the alt-right vs. their oligarch masters http://mattbruenig.com/2017/08/10/the-trump-nlrb-will-smash-the-google-guy/

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

what if i told you i shook this fascist 8-ball to find out who the driver of the charlottesville car is, and it isn't who you think it is?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I agree, nazi street movements are a jewish plot and good nazis should not go outside.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

aclu taking donations to help the fight against tyranny

will be sending the money to both tyrants and anti-tyrants as unfairness is the essence of tyranny

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I have a shitload of thoughts about today but have a lot of processing to do.

you're doing what we all should be, stay safe

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

all this 'they'll just get madder' talk misses that the purpose of getting nazis fired is not to deradicalise them but to terrorise other nazis into silence

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

cargo cult posted:

that video of kids in durham tearing down the white supremacy monument is an absolute tear-jerker

kids status: all right

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

you don't need russian intelligence to make bots and alts to inflate numbers, just reactionary billionaires and/or bored tech nazis

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I guess Bannon making fun of white nationalists was the last straw.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/cliffordvickrey/status/898730405506891776

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

one of my minor formative political experiences was seeing how rapidly a 'libertarian' I e-knew abandoned his scepticism of government when it came to state security & intelligence forces operating against nonwhites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

american videogames aren't 'inherently fascist'

european videogames are inherently facist, japanese games are inherently japanese imperial nationalist (a similar but distinct ideology) and american videogames are all kkklassics