Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I've done nothing but vote for Hector so far and will be outraged if there isn't a kickin rad Armadscopter version of him at launch :colbert:

Also wow I didn't know DeNA was in charge, that makes me a ton more optimistic. FFRK is a ton of fun, I've been playing it for like two years and have spent all of $2 on it. If the dev team for this game runs it like FFRK, expect that as an F2P so long as as you dick around a few times a day you should be able to clear all the content they throw at you. You might not get your favorite character when you go take a spin at the gacha, but you'll end up getting a new favorite when the gacha gives you a top tier Bartre or something that proceeds to hard carry you for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm in shock that Hector is top 3

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

13 days, 13 hector votes

acumen posted:

I'm assuming - and hoping - it's like this:

1-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP

2-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP
- Killer Sword for 300 SP
5-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP
- Killer Sword for 300 SP
- Falchion for 5000 SP

Where player A draws a low-star Marth and player B lucks out with a 5-star, player A will require more time and effort to reach the max level/stats for Marth but has the same potential as player B. They both have to go through the skills as normal which are kept through promotions. Player B can go straight for the Falchion but it'll take a long time initially since the acquisition of skill points will start low; it may be wiser to pick up a few intermediary skills before going for the big prize. A year down the line it may be easier to grind out the skill points but it'll require higher-level units to do so, making it easy for experienced players to play catch-up with new heroes they receive.

This is assuming that they don't introduce characters that only drop at 5* - which hopefully doesn't happen.

I'm imagining something similar as well; Weapons and gear probably will only be gated behind pve/pvp content rather than a gacha or other cash mechanic. There will absolutely be characters that are only obtainable at maximum power through spending fun bucks on the gacha though. While it won't be something like "You can only get Peri by rolling on the new Conquest gacha", it will be more like "You can only get the special cross-class Great Knight/Dark Knight Peri with Luna and Seal Magic by rolling on the new Conquest gacha".

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Guys, this is very important to me: Has anyone drawn a Hector yet :ohdear:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

How tedious is it to reroll? I might do it if it doesn't take more than a few minutes.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So after my first roll kinda sucked (It had a Donny and Arthur who I love but didn't have a healer), I decided I'd just reroll until I got a healer, not really worried about getting a 5* hero because gently caress it. Popped that black orb and got Lissa, sighed that I wouldn't have to reroll 30 times to get a healer, then...

Jackpot. :getin:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm actually shocked with the amount of free orbs there are, at least in the base game. I wonder what the pace of releasing new chapters is going to be like? Also, I'd advise anyone that doesn't plan on dropping a fuckload of cash on this game to *not* spend your orbs pulling on the two banners currently offered over and over unless you have a burning urge to get one of the featured characters; You're always gonna be better off saving resources for later.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

sassassin posted:

Lissa is carrying my team.

Heals allies, heals self, take punches better than anyone, takes fireballs better than anyone, so-so ranged attacker, gains xp easily.

Shame all my other pulls were awful. Like 6 pegasus riders and Sully with the worst level ups I've ever seen in a fire emblem game. And Lon'Qu who dies to (sometimes literal) gusts of wind.

I have a 4* Frederick who came with 2 RES at lv1 and has just now gotten his first point of RES at lv16. :mad:

Nuebot posted:

I think I'm just going to give up on the PVP. Every match I get into is full of people I can't even hurt.

Bait out units and focus them down. Don't try to one-on-one in the arena, you'll lose every time. You're playing against the AI so you need to exploit that, you're always going to be outgunned in the arena.

Also I ran into one guy who had an *absurdly* powerful Linde that doubled everyone on my team, including Lyn, for about 25 damage a shot with Aura. Much like a regular Fire Emblem game, sometimes you just get dicked over in the arena.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nuebot posted:

That's not the problem. The problem is literally people who just have loving terminator units I can't touch whether i'm doing the easy or hard battles. I'll destroy three of their guys, then the fourth is just an unstoppable god.

Yeah I noticed that too - a lot of people seem to be cheesing the arena matchmaking system by having one very high level unit and a bunch of low level ones, and the system looks at it and decides one level 20 guy and 3 level 6 guys averages out against your four level 12 guys and you get slammed.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

ChronoReverse posted:

Yeah, I find that the 5a skills tend to come into play after the match has a clear upcoming victor and still doesn't turn the tides enough to matter if I happen to be on the losing end.

I dunno, I have Astra on Lyn and I end up using her as a crutch enough in really tough fights that she usually gets to oneshot some poor fucker with it.

Though, something like Luna that activates every third action instead really does seem a lot better. I kinda wanna make Frederick my first crafted 5* because of how utterly insane he seems like he'd be with the Hammer+, 5* stats, and Luna.

Also I played an arena match against someone with a Marth that had two levels on my Marth but like six speed and ten (!) attack. :mad:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

i want hector so goddamn badly

I actually did a third pull because I have no self control (3* crap and a 4* Camilla), but I'm gonna sit on the rest of my orbs until the new banners drop in about a week and a half from now.

Also from what I've seen in the arena Elise looks leaps and bounds ahead of the other healing units. She gets Recover to heal for base 15, has a balm effect (though I can't remember which one it was), I'm pretty sure she had the spell that lowers a unit's ATK by 6 when you tag them with it, she gets a skill that allows her to self-heal for half of all the healing she does, and to top it all off, she's mounted so she gets three movement.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

So listening to an audiobook on iphone and then turning the sound back on in Fire Emblem Heroes does this to my game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csGm1uOZ6zg

lmao

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nihilarian posted:

Anna is my only green unit so I'll probably promote her

Same but for Sharena and Blue, I got 2300 feathers from the arena and I already 3*'d her. She seems to have a lot of utility at 5*, having Fortify DEF and with her weapon giving her Threaten ATK.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

FeralWraith posted:

Man, four days late to the party and this thread has blown up.

Judging by the sounds of it, the only fast track to getting Hero Feathers is to do well in the arena (pvp, ewww, even if it's just AI) or summon trash and ship their asses home? Ha, heck, I haven't even gotten far enough for those to matter. Two rerolls in and got a 5* Marth, which is good enough for me. Still need to work on story missions to build up orbs for a second 5-summon.

I'm kinda running with this mindset. I never played Fire Emblem before Awakening (I suck at strategy and perma-death is a HUGE turn-off), so I'm just doing this to sort out which heroes I like and which games I should try out one day. Also waiting for a decent sale on Fates/Conquest to pick up and play those.

The arena is more challenging than the story content but not especially hard. Plus, you only use the dueling swords by doing it (no stamina is spent), and they aren't used for anything else anyway. If you get a seven win-streak against the even match teams that's 1500 fethers, plus another 800 for having ranked at all and having your team win at least one defense game. In other words if you just get a 7 win-streak in arena (which is easy if you just do intermediate games), you get enough fethers to boost a guy from 2* to 4* every 3 days, and 5* is a luxury anyway for most heroes that don't get a super fancy prf 5* weapon like Falchion on Marth/Lucina.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Haroshia posted:

If they get a better weapon it's listed though right? A lot of them have nothing listed at 5*.

Examine them under their overall skills list rather than the purchase menu to see stuff that's locked out by rank.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Astra has been a giant crutch for me, going for advanced wins for the February quest. I've run into some truly absurd lv35+ enemies in the arena that I was only able to oneshot due to Astra and Defiant Attack 3 on Lyn. God help me if someone runs a 5* Effie or some poo poo.

I wonder how many people have dueled my team, seen my Lyn, and gone "gently caress this guy", but Lyn's gimmicks seem pretty easy for humans so play around so idk :v:

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 7, 2017

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Phyresis posted:

lol lyn is a free kill in arena, i'll pick her and flyers over most anyone else

Yeah I figured. Honestly, I've been considering unequipping the attack spell from my healer and just leaving the slot blank for the same reason, but it's Azama, and he gets Pain, so it's actually pretty decent. I think if I had someone whose best spell was Assault or Gravity I'd just leave it blank though.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Clarste posted:

Uh... what would the point of that be?

In Arena, if the healer unit doesn't have an offense spell equipped they can't get baited out into making a suicidal attack and will instead just sit behind the rest of your nerds and heal them like they're supposed to.

I have no idea how the game selects what team you use when you're defending though so this is kind of pointless theorycraft until they add some way to manually make a team of defenders. :shrug:

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 7, 2017

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd argue that for your first 3-4 pulls you care about quantity enough that you should do the full pull. After that though, you should usually target colors for sure though.

Never go into the summoning menu with fewer than 20 orbs though, just in case every summon is of a color you want.

Well the idea is, when you're starting off and rerolling until you're happy with a roll you want, the overall quantity of pulls you make will be greater if you make 17-pulls every minute or so rather than 20-pulls every five minutes or so. Yeah, that last three-cost summon is going to be lost to the ether forever, in exchange for getting four mans you're happy with in a much more reasonable amount of time.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Holy poo poo I just pulled 5* M Robin and M Corrin. Both their IVs are -spd +def and that's kinda funny as a coincidence? Is this a bad thing for the two of them?

+DEF is pretty hilarious for Robin since his combat skill is modified by it and he's tanky as hell to begin with, idk about Corrin though.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I got a 4* Kagero and holy poo poo she's melting everything. Like holy poo poo. My 5* Lyn and Marth didn't even come close to this poo poo when they were this level, she's absurd.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wait, is darting blow a useless skill on Camillla because of brave ax? She'll always double an opponent

It helps mitigate the speed penalty from the Axe, so Camilla won't get doubled by her target if they survive. If the target is slow enough, she can even double them for four total hits. Darting Blow is pretty good on her.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Jumpoff posted:

Two 5* units in one day makes me a very happy roller. I don't know how good Lucina is but she has to be useful for something...right?

Lucina's a beast, just stick with Luna over Aether and keep her away from mages.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Anyone who feels bad about dropping a few bucks on a pull or a stamina refill or something: this is what people are referring to when they mean "whale". The dude made 11 5* Ninos. Nino can't be pulled as a 5* natively.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Woo, decided to do another pull and got an Eirika!

Brings me up to three 5*s... all sword lords. God drat it.

I'm coming up on 20k feathers pretty soon. What do you guys think of a team with 5* Eirika and Sharena for Arena? They're pretty complimentary, since they can buff each others' ATK, and Sharena pulses -ATK/+DEF while Eirika pulses +SPD. Pull Back is pretty slick too. The only other real 4* > 5* option for me would be Kagero.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I wonder what all skills will be transferable; if it will only be specific ones or any skill carried by a character. Just being able to stick an action or support skill on a character that doesn't normally have one is insane; plus, the characters that lack B skills can get something too. Weapons are technically skills also :v:

I have a Lon'qu and I'm super excited to melt him to put Vantage on Lyn. Between Defiant ATK and Sol Katti giving her Brash Assault that poo poo is going to be bonkers.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Well, DeNA's pretty restrained with whalebait, usually; I wouldn't be surprised if each character only has one skill in particular they can transfer, and furthermore I wouldn't be all too shocked if only lower ranks of skills could transfer (So I'd only be able to stick Vantage 2 on Lyn instead of Vantage 3 after melting Lon'qu, for example). In FF Record Keeper, another DeNA game, a mechanic called record diving was implemented a while back. It opened up new skills for characters; when it was announced people were thinking about all kinds of wacky builds they could do but the reality was much tamer than that and few characters got anything that drastically changed the way you used them. After getting over my initial surprise at the announcement I genuinely don't see this going any differently.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Woo, got a Klein; He has Glacies and Brave Bow+, along with Deathblow and Quick Riposte.

Deathblow with a Brave weapon seems absolutely devastating.

Most importantly it's my first 5* who isn't a gat drat swordlord :woop:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

Does this company have a history of adding (really slow) ways to get specific heroes? Or have all their past games been 'YOU WANT A SINGLE CHARACTER FROM A ROSTER OF HUNDREDS? GIVE ME YOUR MONEY.'

FFRK lets you exchange tokens you get from doing events to unlock specific mans, but the cash item in that game is equipment rather than characters. Hopefully they add something like that to this game, though; since feathers come in at such a trickle I can't really see the harm in having an expanded 1-2* hero rotation.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm glad to see Camilla, but are the rest good?

From what I've seen of Catria in action, she's awesome.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Clawtopsy posted:

actually, masked man is the third generation offspring of zacharias and someone, which produced a daughter, then gerome and that daughter

the mask is a hand me down, and minervykins got fed up with this bullshit and left

I was gonna say this, he's probably not actually Zacharias. I mean Lucina pretended to be Marth and everyone was like "Oh look, it's Marth" until they showed off Lucina later. :shrug:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nomadic Scholar posted:

My bad, it's been too long since I've played Awakening and I guess I was too lazy to check? How was fates anyway.

The plot in Fates is bad, ranging from bland with notes of dumb in Birthright to mind-bogglingly stupid in Conquest. They brought back marrying your characters so they have babies and then you get to use the babies as units, with no justification other than "Corrin and Azura had a baby, they then shoved the baby in a time locker for a few days and when they came back he was a teenager".

The actual gameplay ranges from good (Birthright) to best-in-series (Conquest). There's a lot of variety in the gameplay, classes, and equipment. They removed weapon durability as a mechanic, though it's not perfectly balanced, because forging makes iron and steel weapons insanely strong with essentially no drawbacks other than material cost of reforging, and the penalties for attacking with silver and brave weapons make them extremely situational at best. Overall, though, every character and class fills an interesting niche and has tactical applications, and the challenges the game presents, especially in Conquest, are a lot of fun to overcome. I also really like the characters a lot, even if the actual plot is bad.

Agoat posted:

I want the true FE experience. I love a challenge and I've played a few tactics games partially. Heroes is fun but I hate how easy it is right now.

If you're willing to practice a little self-control, you can try bronzemanning it instead of ironmanning it. Instead of playing on classic, you can play on casual and just reset if you let a dude die. The difficulty of the missions is the same, but in casual, you get a mid-battle save feature, so you don't have to restart from the beginning when your dudes die. It saves a lot of tedium when you get stuck on a hard mission. There's nothing stopping you from just finishing the mission after a dude dies though so that's why you need to have self control. :v:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

best in series is still thracia, conquest is pretty good tho

I've never played it :( I've only played the GBA games, the Gamecube one, and the 3DS ones.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So I did 60 orbs on the vs. Ursula banner and got dick all.

Had a super lovely day today and did story missions to save up for another 20 while angry as hell, got a 5* Julia and a 5* Nino off the same pull. :woop: Nino's +ATK/-RES too!

I have a 5* Eirika and Sharena ready to buff the poo poo out of her too, now I just need a Dancer.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Oh man Blazing Sword banner :allears: It looks like Ninian is holding a Dragonstone in her art, I bet they'll make her a green just so there's three different colors of dancers. Boo that Hector isn't a featured character though.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ubiquitus posted:

If it makes you feel better, I have 4!!!! MRobins that are -spd +def. The gently caress will use is a mage that can't kill other mages but can take a facepunch from close combat units?

M Robin is a brick shithouse and DEF modifies his combat skill too, I'd say there's gotta be worse modifiers for him than that.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

What do you guys think forms the best arena defense team out of 5* Marth, Eirika, Sharena, Klein, Nino, and 4* Kagero? I was thinking Eirika Sharena Klein Nino but the more I think about it the more Kagero and Marth seem better than Eirika and Nino when on autopilot. Eirika and Marth have very similar stats, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Echoes is great and I really hope the Turnwheel mechanic makes it into FE Switch