Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Hank inviting Bobby to get his haircut with him, and then Peggy pouring out his chocolate milk because he's too old for mom's haircuts now, and therefore also too old for chocolate milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/BudrykZack/status/1461411909522100224?s=20

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I thought we agreed never to discuss the horrors we saw on the killing grounds of the Fun Center.

quote:

I feel like I've lived both sides of this episode. Both as a teenager way into youth group and now as a middle aged dad. God forbid hank let's Bobby choose his own path to the lord. No, it's gotta be hanks way or the highway because hank is too insecure to let his son make a mistake here and there as he grows up.

The last supper suicide cult b-plot was way more interesting and the boys being really superstitious about death was really enlightening.

I thought the B plot was *really* weak by koth b-plot standards. It doesn't really go anywhere.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

quote:

Al Yankovic blew his brains out in the 80s when people quit buying his records

who is Hank thinking of here?

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I have a hard time articulating exactly what it is about later seasons that feels so "off" to me. It's not like the earlier seasons weren't bouncing from weird gimmick to weird gimmick.

Bobby gets weirdly into rose gardening? Sure. Bobby falls in with some witch LARPers? All day. Renaissance fair episode where Peggy is a knight and beats up Alan Rickman? Best episode.

Is it a focus on different characters? Did the writing get lazier? Are the plots worse? I can't actually remember the later seasons well enough to recall them even when looking at an episode guide.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

My favorite running gag is when the gang gets into trouble with the authorities, Boomhauer usually tells the whole truth, but no outsider can understand him.

It really doesn't get better than the fireman episode where he outright says "Hell no, we're not disrespecting the memory of Chet Elderson, Gribble plugged that drat sign in" but the fire chief only heard "Chet Elderson ... Plugged that sign in" and leaves it at that

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Fishstick posted:

Stephen Root does a lot of VA and character actor gigs but everytime he uses his regular voice I just picture Bill. Justified? BIll the Judge.

Root plays an extremely Bill-esque character on Brooklyn 99 if Bill came from bizarro hill folk instead of sprouting from the beautiful Texas soil fully grown and ready to peak and it's always extremely fun to see him guest star

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

why is the pencil in his nose pointy side in

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please someone gif the old lady eating the paper cup in the miniature episode

best I got, sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWE1jj0Blok

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

b-a-bay b-e-bee b-i-bickey-bi b-o-bo bickey-bi-bo-bu

I hate zydeco.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

bobjr posted:

The present football stuff has always been inconsistent just because it’s 2 in universe years over 10+ seasons.

Sometimes they have a team that has a high chance of making it to state, other times they get their butts kicked by McMaynerberry

McMaynerberry, Hank!!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

theyre supposed to be between DFW and Austin and Kahn commutes to Houston every day

Khan's commute is between one and two hours according to the ep with buckley's angel iirc

Shishkahuben fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 9, 2022

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Traxis posted:

Lucky and Luanne are driving behind a leaky septic pump truck and Lucky kills them both going for his next big pay day.

Elvin bragging about driving dave matthews' tour bus in 2004 inspires Lucky to get the gang back together for one last heist

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Dale reminds me of Trevor from this classic article that was a big sensation in its time

https://bostonreview.net/articles/jonathan-m-metzl-dying-whiteness/

Tell me honestly you couldn't imagine those quotes in Dale's voice

I cannot imagine these quotes in Dale's voice. Dale's heart has known the warmth of love and he has capacity for good.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

the utter contempt on Peggy's face, knowing what he's going to say before she even says it but forced to ask, is what makes the entire episode for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99wH-x_iRho&t=51s

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

"Luanne, this isn't as asinine as I thought!"

"Thaaaaaanks!"

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

dale's bug dead

???

now look who's crazy

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, that's what I remember reading here over the years; even the lower quality seasons are still better than a lot of other shows.

Anyway...

Ok, so are Bill and Laoma just... not a thing anymore?

Two episodes after Bill meets Laoma, he mentions to Bobby that things have been going great for the two of them while Bobby is doing a tarot reading. Bobby initially says that the cards indicate love, happiness and success, before realizing some of them are inverted, representing despair, failure and loss.

Bobby laid a drat curse on Bill

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

sorry, it's flawed. You lose.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

GolfHole posted:

obviously the series will end will bobby joseph connie and someone drinking in the alley
who do you think will be the 4th friend

gh?
the dusty old bones kid?
bill's ghost?

Rad Thibode-aux-x.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I love the side stories with like Bobby and Peggy that are just so simple and pointless. Like Peggy trying to guess the weight of her dessert, or Bobby teaching her to ride a bike and eventually telling her to give up. They always crack me up.

The one where Bill joins a choir is the most distilled version of this and it rules. The A plot consumes so much of the episode that Peggy and Bobby playing Pong is so meaningless that they pass out waiting for their plot to develop, and the entire B plot takes up maybe three minutes across the whole thing.

Shishkahuben fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 15, 2023

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

if you help me build it, i'll give each of you a tier in the tower of power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7gkdNrge4Y

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Fur20 posted:

The only votin' I care to do is votin' on whether we're goin' to the Luby's or the Whataburger this Friday night. And I hate to tell you this, Uncle Hank, because I know how you feel about tellin' people who you voted for, but it's gonna be Luby's

lmao

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

dale was attempting a national treasure-esque break-in to the capitol building to reveal the aliens hidden there, but by complete coincidence the day he chose to pull the heist was january 6 2021.

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I dunno they brought Gilbert back and hosed it up

blood and sauce is in the top two episodes of the entire series. I will have your silence

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHoUQ7SDBU

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I have a friend and we can communicate in YTP but not lines that are actually pronouncable. We mostly mimic the lag and yalps

Same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqU5w9p2VLw

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Let's go, Peggy!

The Bible posted:

AAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

I completely missed this genre of YTP, can someone post one of the better ones for me to see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J4lgi2tfTU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

This time he knows enough to hold out for more money when he slips on peepee.

Did they ever go in to more depth on that? Did he slip on piss in the bathroom? Or in the cafeteria, or production line?
It seems like America would be the kind of place where lots of factory workers aren't allowed bathroom breaks so the line workers just piss wherever.

It was a Costco where a dad was changing a kid's diaper in the family bathroom.