Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm applying to work on the Smokin Weed and Fuckin, myself.

None of them are named that because that's what they all do, so it's like Mohammed and Camels, and you don't have to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

BiggerBoat posted:

"prey a lot"

Freudian.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

got any sevens posted:

this film is pretty good and also about boomers and their dying small towns

https://youtu.be/ZuIBvmxIN4w

It looks good. I like that kind of quirky movie. Wes Anderson esque. I like Will Forte in dramatic roles, I don't find him that funny.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

jobson groeth posted:

Only for those invested in the market or those who rely on the economy not to be broken to eat.

Well to some degree, when it goes up it helps the rich, when it goes down it fucks the poor.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

belt posted:

Yeah right nerd, give me one example of America destabilizing a foreign economy in America's best interests. It's never happened.

Cuba. I mean it's arguable if it was, "in America's best interest" but a unilateral embargo with a simultaneous massive subsidy to American sugar is the only reason Cuba has such a low standard of living. Like the only reason that communism "failed" there is 100% because of America refusing to actually be capitalist.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

What a loving moron.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

got any sevens posted:

maybe god doesnt want his fam together

I don't get why he doesn't move to Mexico. If he's an actual Christian then this life doesn't matter at all. Family is far more important than material goods or his having to learn a different language.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Probably Mexico also has immigration laws?

He's married to a Mexican national, pretty sure he could get in if he really wanted.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

They can't be wrong. Everything they were raised to believe as children MUST be true no matter what.

What a lovely life that must be.

It's a living wave of zombies of the sunk cost fallacy. Unfortunately, they're burying the rest of us.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Why do I get the feeling that the really catastrophic economic damage this moron is going to create won't really hit until he's bounced in 2020 and that all the blame will immediately go the democrat who unseated him?

Because this is what always happens? A Republican fucks the economy, a Democrat comes in, gets blamed, fixes, and a Republican promises insane things and gets elected and fucks the economy. It's happened like 3 times in a row now.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

You are such a loving creep. I’m not even going to bother with a dumb quip. I’m just going to say that between this and your other posts about stalking your friends stepdaughter who’s just turned 18 and how you gave away a girls mirror and jewellery box, which you had to break on purpose to make it less ‘weird’ that you had it, you need to be on a watch list. Because you’re a molestation timebomb.

That post is from 6 months ago?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

a hideous gammon stabbing her hand clean to the bone popping a loving balloon and showing off to nobody's delight is a hell of an image for the Age of Brexit

She's mentally ill.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Volcott posted:

Aren't we all?

She's tried to kill herself like 50 times. There is a continuum of mental health, she's pretty far down it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shaffness posted:

No poo poo, that sticker sucks in every possible way.

Well it is kind of like having a sticker on your car that says "I'm an ignorant moron"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it separates rubes from $6 they would otherwise probably put towards racism

Actually wouldn't it be awesome to market the sticker as that capitalism bullshit but actually send them a bumper sticker that says "I'm an ignorant moron".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I couldn't tell if the middle one was subtly mocking them or not.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

1redflag posted:

I have a staunchly libertarian friend that is an unemployed 38 year old who mooches off his upper middle class parents and basically has his entire life. it’s like, oxymoron: the man.

Oh, I'm sure it's just regulations and "the man" stopping him from unleashing his true entrepreneurial spirit.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

etalian posted:

Yeah I'm pretty much sure if she was still making piles of money off of racist op-eds and books she would never had quit the alt right movement.

Isn't her new plan to make tons of money off being ex-alt-right?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Fighting gun laws $100
Research $150
Electoral $800
Caviar-filled sex yachts $300,600,000
Merch tables $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my advocacy org is dying

It looks like most of your elective budget is being spent on electoral. Maybe move more to merch tables, those bring in revenue.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

no political ideology actually embraces joe sixpack mcasshole having a bunch of guns except the flavors of Marxism/anarchism lol, nothing about any of it is rooted in reality, tell a chud that Cali gun laws are thanks to Reagan and libs being terrified of armed blacks acting as a check to police brutality in their communities and it just slides right off their perfectly frictionless brain

To be fair, I would ban all guns if I could, and I think some Democrats agree, they just don't try anymore because it's not worth fighting.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

my stance is all guns without except beyond like, single shots or whatever that are just for hunting, which libs are typically on board with until I emphasize that total disarmament MUST include the police as well

the Dem's problem mostly is that they want it but also want it to be stupidly complex, as well as not impeding the wanton application of state violence nor the whimsy of the rich, so it just ends up being an incoherent mess which is of course how the party is more or less defined nowadays

The only gun law I can think of that's passed in my lifetime that doesn't exclude cops and doesn't have a "pay X amount for a piece of paper that says you don't need to follow this law" is Trump's total ban on bump stocks

Yeah, I don't actually care about single shot rifles or whatever, but if it was me, clean sweep. If people really want to hunt that bad there are bows and arrows.

ElGroucho posted:

Hunting with guns = cool
Having guns for self defense against the racist police = hella good

Having an AR-15 to protect yourself from the scary migrants = idiotic

De-militarizing and de-gunning the police would be an important step.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

An insane mind posted:

Whoa Snape was good all along? Next you'll tell me Dumbledore was in love with Grindelwald. Psh nice try.

Having actively avoided Harry Potter my entire life, literally everything I've learned about it is against my will. Sadly I sort of vaguely know who all these characters are. Snapes a wizard right? And obviously not a good one, with a subtle name like that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

An insane mind posted:

I never got how economic anxiety leads to racism. I'm definitely economically anxious. I don't know how to get through the month most times.

But I also have eyes and can see that the cause for all this poo poo is mostly goddamn white men like me.

If you're dumb enough to listen to someone like Rush Limbaugh, who blames immigrants all day long, you're dumb enough to believe him.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

when pressed I've had bunches of those dudes start talking about how gold has "intrinsic value" like worth is a material property like fuckin magnetism or something

obvs fiat is a Big Government scam to steal all the gold by fooling people into thinking paper can also have value

I mean that's not entirely wrong, gold has value in and of itself, it can be used for things, dollars only have value so long as they are backed the US Government, there are paper currencies which have had value and then had none, so you can see how they get this stupid idea and run with it, because of course, it has a smidgeon of truth to it.

Maybe recommend they look into Dinar revaluation.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

Gold also has an inherent weakness in that science may render it obsolete for electronics as they develop new materials.
It could very well go the way of diamonds and end up being an entirely artificial value with a few industrial uses.

That's true, but gold has been valuable for basically all of history.

VitalSigns posted:

So can paper

I guess this would be relevant if money was made of blank paper?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

cenotaph posted:

You can wipe your rear end with it.

That seems like it would really chafe.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Really business-friendly and worker-friendly are opposite ends of a spectrum.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The truth of these business rankings is they are pointless noise. There are so many ways to rank what's "good" for business, and so many bad "journalists" doing business rankings that they should all really be ignored.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

I always knew he was playing up being, well, Colbert but I had no idea he just up and invented an entire personality for himself whole cloth

I thought it was always pretty explicitly mocking O'Reilly

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

JoelJoel posted:

Yet they also generally think of themselves as being incredibly smart and well informed. It's just projection all the way down.

Everybody thinks they are smart and well informed. It's kind of a problem with our society, that we encourage people to think that way. If stupid people knew they were stupid, if ignorant people had their ignorance called out, we might be in a better place.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nah I've known plenty of folks who were perfectly aware they weren't the sharpest or big on politics/science/literally whatever topic was at hand and cheerfully owned it, this isn't a universal human thing it's a mediocre rear end in a top hat thing

That's fair. My experience has not been that, and of course, the media goes out of their way to get the opinion of idiots. And there's that quote from Plato, so I assume it's been going on for a while.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

1redflag posted:

do you mean the cave allegory? if not, to which quote do you refer?

I can't find any evidence of it anywhere, in Bartletts or via Google, but for like 20 years I've had this quote in my head

"every man thinks himself the wisest since he sees his own wisdom close at hand and others at arm's length"

And I swore it was Plato, but I can't prove it now.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ikanreed posted:

There's another parsing. One where their view of protecting Christians is precisely equivalent to killing Muslims

It's really a problem with stupid and ignorant people. Republicans constantly claim they care about the troops and Democrats don't, even though Republicans send them to die in pointless wars and refuse to give them raises. And people are stupid and ignorant enough to buy it. They pull the same trick with coal miners and "persecuted Christians". People just listen to the jingoist rhetoric and ignore the actual policies.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I mean the company is going to go bankrupt and cars will be outlawed during the water riots, so at some point, they'll be unique antiques?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

I'm not a businessman, but even if a thing you bought has made you more money than it cost, it isnt an appreciating asset if it itself is worth less than you paid for it.

I'm assuming the printing press for the newspapers I worked for have been paid for several times over but the press itself is antiquated as gently caress and probably worth 10% of what the owners paid for it 40 years ago or whatever.

that's way too many words where a 'lol' would suffice so lol

Well ackshually.... technically I think an "appreciating asset" is just one that is increasing in value. So if you buy a Tesla for 100k, and it drops in value to 20k, but then the next year it's worth 21k it's "appreciating". Doesn't really say anything about whether it's a good investment or anything like that.

But yeah Musk's claims there are totally incoherent.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Sean posted:

Why not keep the cars to increase the value of their own total assets, then?

That's actually like a really salient point. Why do those companies that make commemorative plates sell them? If they're going to increase in value so much just hold onto them. They'd have a virtual monopoly on Dale Earnhardt bicentennial plates so...

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Has anyone ever crunched the numbers for UHC in a way that compares what people pay in premiums and deductibles now vs. what they'd pay in taxes under a national system? Genuinely curious.

Also, I never quite understood why corporations and business would be so adamantly against single payer or a public option. Wouldn't that free them the cost of providing group plans? Or do they just enjoy lording lovely coverage over wage slaves as part of compensation?

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/aug/03/bernie-s/did-conservative-study-show-big-savings-bernie-san/

Essentially even an extremely conservative think tank found that M4A could save up to 2 trillion dollars over 10 years. In context, you have to realize that figure is probably bullshit. The savings would probably be far higher, but Koch funded studies have a huge bias.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FMguru posted:

There's also the same thing you see in people opposed to raising the minimum wage...

the same way people get really mad at the thought of janitors and bus drivers and food service workers closing the wage gap with them, despite not affecting them or costing them a nickel.

I'm on your side comrade, but in fairness, this isn't entirely accurate. If the current minimum wage is 8$ an hour and it's raised to 15$ an hour, it's likely that the cost of some goods and services will increase. If you're currently making 16$ an hour and the minimum wage goes up but your wages don't (unlikely but not impossible) you may be worse off.

Even if that's true we absolutely should raise the minimum wage to livable levels, it's sociopathic that people are so FYGM that they want some people to live in poverty so they can pay peanuts for peanuts.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

AkumaHokoru posted:

New York and seattle disagree with you

No... they don't? I live in Seattle, I've read several of the studies. Also, I was affected by the minimum wage increase. Overall a very good thing, but with some costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

This is sort of what I was looking for but was hoping to find a reliable source/study that says "this is what you pay in premiums and deductibles" and "this is what you pay in taxes under M4A". It would maybe be higher for an individual under a national plan but when you factor in people who get crushed with ER visits and surgeries and poo poo, I'd tend to think that per capita it would be lower.

The problem is it's not in any powerful groups interest to do the study correctly. Both Corporatist Democrats and basically all Republicans are owned by the insurance industry. And they, in turn, have tremendous influence over the think tanks.

The fact that it's cheaper and has better outcomes in virtually every country with Universal Health care tells you most of what you need to know: https://www.healthsystemtracker.org...milar-countries

But as to who would be taxed, that depends on how regressive or progressive is the law that pays for it.