Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

the paint in houses all had lead too

You had to chew on the paint to get hosed up though. There was enough lead in gas fumes that you can pull the gravel off the shoulder of any highway built before the seventies and detect lead in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

cumshitter posted:

california has great weather for preserving old cars so it's not super rare to see one with a historical exemption plate driving down the street.

one car that must have been built in the 30's or something passed me by once and holy poo poo the fumes on that thing. i could smell it for a good 30 seconds afterward and you just knew whatever it was pumping out was bad

Talk to any collection of elderly chuds long enough and eventually they'll complain that car exhausts don't smell good like they used to lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

fun fact, the engineer who invented leaded gasoline also invented CFCs. don't worry though, he eventually put his creative genius to good use:

He was from near Pittsburgh

Apr 7, 2003

FMguru posted:

boomers and their insatiable appetites for delicious, delicious lead

That school bus yellow color is from lead(II) chromate and it used to be used to color candy lol

Apr 7, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

What worries me is that stories about race based bullying being all the rage these days keeps coming up on the news. Yesterday a work friend was writing a letter to a school sports league because he'd been a game over the weekend where students from the rival school had been making monkey noises at their players. That kind of poo poo wouldn't have happened when I was in high school, mind you I went to public school and not some lovely prep school. Pewdiepie's core demographic reaching adulthood concerns me a bit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hem-coach-says/

quote:

Youth football coach Marcus Burkley knew there would be backlash if his players knelt during the national anthem. He just never thought it would be this severe.
When three members of Burkley’s all-black team took a knee during a Saturday night game in Bethel Park, Pa., people in the stands began shouting racial slurs at them, eventually becoming so aggressive that police were called to keep the peace, he said.
“Once they took a knee, you see cameras and people taking pictures,” Burkley, who is also African American, told WPXI. “And out of nowhere you just hear, ‘If the little n-word want to take a knee, they shouldn’t be able to play.’”
As the game proceeded, Burkley said, some of his 12- and 13-year-old players told him they heard the same thing on the field from the opposing team. He said neither he nor his Woodland Hills Wolverines had encountered anything like it in the two years they have played in the league.

Apr 7, 2003

old white people get insanely angry when black people kneel during the flag song, it's amazing

Apr 7, 2003

Authoritarian brained shitheads think everyone has a natural place and stepping out of it is “corrupt,” hence going apeshit over a black president or a black man expressing political opinions by kneeling during the flag song. Also why they keep yelling about how trump is giving black people jobs despite most of those jobs being total poo poo. White people cant become a minority fast enough

Apr 7, 2003

The troops are disproportionately black so who fuckin knows

Apr 7, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks to everyone for responding.

When I asked my question, I knew the answer was going to be something incredibly stupid.

But it surpassed my wildest dreams.

Don’t sign your posts

Apr 7, 2003

FMguru posted:

A blog I read posted a review of a book (Jonathan M. Metzl, Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America’s Heartland) that sounds like it hits on every point this thread has ever made. Here's the near-complete text of the review:

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.co...ricas-heartland

I'm gonna have to pick this book up.

I read this book a few months back and it’s fantastic and perfectly encapsulates the American sickness.

Apr 7, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

I can't even begin to imagine being so racist that I would be ok with death.

And I grew up in a really racist environment.

There's literally no getting through to these people is there?

One of the people in Dying of Whiteness is a taxi driver in his forties who is literally dying of liver failure while he drives his cab, and says he’s fine with dying as long as Mexicans don’t get a dime of his money.

Apr 7, 2003

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

As a mountain dwelling redneck communist , hillbilly elegy is a godawful trash pile of a book.

I didn’t read all of it but really seems to be “OBAMAPHONES!!, The Book”

Apr 7, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

lmfao "help me i finally triggered the libs and now they won't talk to me"

Lmao

Apr 7, 2003

This guy is amazing

Apr 7, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I remember the last Republican Jesus, some twerp by the name of George W. Bush. I remember how in 2004 he thought he was invincible too, and he was going to take his 'mandate' and run with it and nothing was ever, ever going to stop him as well. And then Katrina happened, and then the bottom fell out, and not only did he lose 2006 but he also got the first black president elected and now is pretty much persona non grata despite three or so attempts to clean up his legacy occurred.

and he also managed to cause immense damage to american democracy that we've yet to recover from

Apr 7, 2003

Philthy posted:

Yeah, Calling yourself an independent or Libertarian became the norm because people were embarrassed by Bush. His only claim to fame was a huge bump of 9/11 and rallying the nation to go kill people which apparently people really really like to do indirectly. Without 9/11 I'm not even sure if he would have beat Kerry in 2004 for his second term. A lot of Republicans held their noses for that election.

I was half expecting this to happen with Trump, but it hasn't. He has hit Regan levels of godhood with his followers even though he can't even speak a complete sentence.

He makes people they don’t like upset. That’s really it.

Apr 7, 2003

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Thats where it'll break down, tho they'll likely just withdraw and refuse to discuss rather than admit error.

exactly what'll happen, and the vocal social media ones will suddenly take a break. they will never admit that they were wrong about anything.

Apr 7, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

Uh wtf are they trying to prove with that banner text? Only 1 out of 22 dead, no biggie!

lol that’s a horrible death rate

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nancy bumps over into the ultra-fatal 80+ demographic in like two weeks btw

*plays a wicked guitar solo*

Apr 7, 2003

M_bison_yes.gif

Apr 7, 2003

Something about the English language causes brain damage in its speakers.

Apr 7, 2003

The best thing about this is that more rural, poorer areas where people rarely travel are less likely to be impacted by the virus, at least initially.

So they're going to take spitting in each other's mouths and licking the floor as evidence that the virus doesn't exist when no one visits Possum Scrotum, AR to spread it to them.

Apr 7, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

https://twitter.com/loisbeckett/status/1239560944105078787

if the AIDS crisis were starting up today they'd be doing bareback anal as a greeting to prove they're not a lib

Not entirely sure how you rebuild a functioning society when 40% of the population actively rejects anything "coastals" are doing out of spite

Apr 7, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1239716395006427137?s=21

Americans have loving lost their loving minds. Dead collapsed civilization in full Koo Koo crazy fantasy mode.

Americans are bootlickers who attach themselves to the brightest beacon of money and power, that's no surprise. Critical thinking processes have intentionally and actively been cut out of primary education for decades now.

Apr 7, 2003

Forceholy posted:

A good chunk of Americans like to think that this virus is a Chinese bioweapon made to make the Republicans and Daddy Trump look bad.

A new level of solipsism

Apr 7, 2003

Dustcat posted:

why would they wait to ramp up production

Profit motive, ICUs are cash cows because of limited capacity. 65K ICU beds in total across the country.

Apr 7, 2003

Grape posted:

They really haven't, and the generational gaps show if anything the total oppsite.

Pardon me, the GOP has lobbied for years to cut critical thinking out of public education.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html

Apr 7, 2003

Nephzinho posted:

There's a lot of cost that goes into just having an ICU bed as well and hospitals generally don't want to have empty beds.

Hmm. Sounds like something that should be nationalized for the greater good, don't you think?

Apr 7, 2003

Epic High Five posted:

He's missing part of a lung too btw, lmao

I hope Rand Paul dies.

Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you should see the job offer ads they mail out, it's insane how desperate they are

like rural idaho offering $400k for fresh-out-of-residency hospitalists

not enough to live in Idaho

Apr 7, 2003

He never said NOT to administer medication to yourself. Checkmate, Frank

Apr 7, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Sometimes I feel bad for Frank Luntz, because by all indications the dude is genuinely intelligent and good at what he does, he just got raised all hosed up and stupid and wrong somewhere along the way so he uses his powers for evil.

Then again, sometimes I don't.

Frank Luntz led a Republican town hall in AL where multiple voters said they’d rather vote for a pedophile than a Democrat. If that wasn’t enough for him to reconsider and find a new job, nothing is.

Apr 7, 2003

This is the dumbest poo poo I've seen all week.

Apr 7, 2003

vyelkin posted:

imagine a world where unemployment doesn't lead to homelessness

it's easy if u try...

Moral hazard!!!!!!

Apr 7, 2003

DrManiac posted:

lol we totally aren’t going to make it are we? keep in mind this poo poo is only going to get worse and the crisis are going to start overlapping.

California is due to catch on fire soon

Apr 7, 2003

Brain Curry posted:

how does the neighbor make milk? how does she make eggs?

waiting for my neighbor to ovulate before I can eat breakfast,

Apr 7, 2003

FMguru posted:

The doctors pinned a Trump stock chart to his bed as a final insult, good on them.

lol for real?

Apr 7, 2003

aww, that's a shame. I was hopeful

Apr 7, 2003

Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

VRViperII posted:

Americans realizing that they’re going to die under the GOP ITT

You guys are hosed. You can’t make a difference. Too many of your citizens are irredeemable moronic assholes and they revel in it. Bail.

Someone in this forum posted that 40% of Americans have oppositional defiant disorder, and they weren't wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppositional_defiant_disorder