Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From the GDT:

Kid Dynamite posted:

Jacobs was having insane success from the southpaw stance and I'm very surprised he didn't just commit to it fully because GGG was loving him up when he went conventional.

I think southpaw only gelled for Jacobs past round 6. He was holding his own for a couple rounds before that, but before, he was losing on points when going to southpaw. I don't disagree with the strategy, but the judges had plenty of material to score for GGG in the first half.
Switching back and forth might have done more to throw GGG off than purely staying in the stance that was scoring more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

Uzcategi trying to get the Cornoa girl's digits owns and Andre Dirrell is trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dF9Ioild4I

You linked an interview of the Abraham illegal blow.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oh ok, thought it was video of Uzcategui trying to hit on the ring girl.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Teddy Atlas didn't paint a flattering picture of Cus in his autobiography. But it's hard to say how much of that was D'amato being real, real old and casting aside his principles trying to achieve glory one last time. Not that 'Cus was a great guy before the specter of death loomed' really helps if Tyson is raised by post-death-specter D'amato.

Edit - I now specifically recall that D'amato convinced a judge to release Tyson into his care in a dramatic courtroom speech that, Teddy says, had the judge in tears.

I think it's fine to say Cus was a master manipulator, to get you mentally where he wanted. Coaching can be like that. Compound that with living with the man to further your career from the get-go.
The negative part would be whether he realized it was turning Mike down the wrong path or if he cared.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

So Mayweather-McGregor is actually happening: Aug 26 at T-Mobile, 12 rounds at 154 lbs, full USADA drugs testing, and Money opened at -1100 at the Superbook.

Can get -800 on Bovada, according to the event thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823502

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It won't be because it's been agreed to with boxing rules. McGregor's camp won't reneg on that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Dre -- he's a Ball-absian!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Have a BHop, RJJ, Toney old man league.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

In the fight thread, it was implied that both MMA and boxing refs have approximately the same standards re: stopping fights to protect fighters who cannot defend themselves. I would certainly hope this is the case. Now. I've seen a shitton of boxing. I have seen exactly one MMA match.
...But, like, where the gently caress is the ref?
Because there are many more positions from which a fight can end in MMA, the skill needed to spot when a fighter is in danger is much higher for reffing in MMA. Similarly so for the skill to decide when there's no coming back from a bad situation.

The standards are the same in that you want to give the fighter as much of a chance as possible without seriously injuring their body or brain, but I'd say there's a much higher bar to clear for MMA refs.

Having been engaged in recovering my head from a fight where I got knocked down twice, I now have a lot more forgiveness for refs who end the fight too early. Even if we think so from the perspective of fight fans who want entertainment, there's no leg to stand on from the perspective of fighter safety.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm worried GGG is older than we're hoping for in this showdown.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Danny Jacobs is a great fighter and an absolutely massive middleweight. Kell Brook is also an elite fighter. You can't say GGG has lost a step because they hit him a few times.

Even if you don't show damage, your brain could be losing its chin power off big shots. That's part of the equation for a Canelo victory -- that maybe GGG took just enough damage to be easier to fend off.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

:( http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-city/2017/10/08/fire-destroys-iconic-kronk-gym-detroit/744167001/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

If Rigo is going to win it’ll be off the left hook rather than the jab

Does Rigondeaux have a rear hook?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Garlic Wraith posted:

Rigo looked like he had a plan for the first 2 rounds but was thoroughly outboxed by Lomachenko. All Loma had to do was circle away from Rigo's left hand and handcuffed his power hand.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I was amazed at how stationary Rigo was. Seemed like he had no idea how to keep distance on Loma.

Has Rigo faced a southpaw before? It seems like a lot of his tactics were too baked in for orthodox, and that he couldn't make an adjustment for a highly technically proficient fighter jabbing at will from range.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If the ref has to save you from getting beat up then you lose the fight. If you want a break you take a knee and have a knockdown counted against you.

mike12345 posted:

Don't really get why the ref called it off - why not stop the fight, ask if he's ok, then continue?

Are you thinking of the old standing 8 count rules? That would be effectively what happened -- the ref could separate the fighters before a knockdown and count the hurt fighter to see if he could continue. That's still different from just asking if he's ok to continue, though it does happen at the end of the count.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mike12345 posted:

don't know that rule, but that's more or less what I thought would happen.

To be clear, "what effectively happened" should have read "what fighters got with the standing eight count rule."
The standing 8 is no longer used in pro boxing because, as bad as the sport is for brains, there is glacial progress toward making it safer. Interrupting a marginally effective fighter (who can just stand) and letting them recover enough to take more punishment that they won't be able to get out of is pointless.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Now I wanna see JMM vs Lomachenko, prime vs prime :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Yeesh
https://twitter.com/PBOTinfo/status/953674509239820290

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Have any of you Brits heard of this?
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59wjq8/learn-to-spot-the-secret-signals-of-far-right-fashion
Apparently Lonsdale has become a neo-nazi brand?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Any details on roach leaving? Money? Doesn't want to see Manny fight anymore? His own health? I crave boxing gossip.

If we take the statement from the article at face value:

quote:

Asked about the reason Pacquiao decided to make a change -- without notifying Roach -- Koncz said, "There was some concerns Manny had in the last fight and some statements Freddie made to the media that Manny wasn't very pleased about."
It was Manny's call and not Roach's. If Freddie wanted to leave, I don't really think Manny's camp would fuss and make up a cover for that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mike12345 posted:

Can you guys recommend any matches if I want to explore cuban boxing techniques? Can be new or old, as long as it's possible to watch them somewhere.

So many of the great Cuban boxers were amateur only. I'd say their style was very tailored towards that, but in a really balletic way. Really good balance, good movement, good ability to read the opponent. Using technique to do damage -- landing right at the very end of a punch to maximize reach. Able to draw out their opponents without using a lot of energy to bait.

The heavyweights, which are still pretty light, have some of the most eye-poppingly good technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHAbGvmIWxg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAFvQUyA470

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Can Dave Meltzer estimate the buys for that fight? Just pure gravy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Also nobody would watch a fight between McGregor and Malignaggi, a guy who wasn't even that popular when he was at his peak and is now retired and washed.

I would expect 200k just from McGregor fans. Whether he can make it enough of a spectacle to pull in any super casual boxing fans, who knows.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ocrassus posted:

So I've just started taking amateur boxing more seriously, and an especially sore point of debate I've discovered is on the matter of clinching.

I'm an average height guy with an average reach, but most boxers seem to be taller and have more reach than me. So obviously my strategy has been to get on their inside and work the body, but oftentimes they immediately clinch and prevent me from doing much. I know this is illegal to use as a strategy but it seems that so many boxers make it part of their repertoire, it is never penalised. This is something I notice a lot of outboxers that have a height advantage doing, and a lot of people defend it as part of the nature of the sport, whilst others acknowledge it should be cracked down on. It just seems like there are comparatively few recent pro or amateur matches where the shorter guy can actually get any momentum going.

It feels like the advantage the shorter guy has if they are able to get on the inside is completely negated whilst the tall guy will always retain their advantage. But I'm relatively new to this, what does the thread think and are there any really good fights where I can watch someone overcome this?

There's a fairly low traffic boxing specific training thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483721
and slightly more active martial arts thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003

If you're getting tied up by the limbs of the longer boxer, you have to
1) use your leverage to your advantage -- outmuscle his longer arms with your torso and shorter arms.
2) be slipperier, anticipate the tieup, and find ways to break out. Get your head on their collarbones and keep space between your hips. Push off their chest or punch out on their gut.

> So obviously my strategy has been to get on their inside and work the body, but oftentimes they immediately clinch and prevent me from doing much.
One or two solid punches before a clinch every exchange would be imo a very successful workrate on the body. If you are almost always getting clinched before you can land, you just have to keep working at getting inside to your range and landing the first shot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Try looking at these breakdowns for Roberto Duran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVHQHpHWqw
I guess an obvious thing to ask is, when you're getting tied up, what do you do in response.
If you're only getting in there and trying to land combos without anticipating having to do any answering clinchwork, that might be why you're getting tied up so easily.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

tesilential posted:

Ggg threw like zero body shots....again

What was he/his team seeing that I wasn't? Sure Canelo had a lot of counters loaded up, but nothing that seemed so surefire that GGG shouldn't even attempt body shots.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Holy hell, Martinez coming back after 4 years just to do this rematch?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

"I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance [for the sake of fans in attendance]"
yeah, and not because he needed to get out of there without being shanked by the Yakuza.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

codo27 posted:

I've heard so much about Gatti-Ward. I've found a couple of sites selling DVDs of the trilogy but they seem sketchy. Any legit way to watch them? I dont mind paying.

They all seem to be on Youtube.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Came back from Creed II. Kicked off with Creed fighting Danny Wheeler (Andre Ward) at heavyweight.
Tale of the Tape had Wheeler at 210 lbs, and I believe Ward showed full commitment to the role.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

criminal they don't have a "will the fight suck" betting line

Can you parlay Decision + No knockdowns + Wilder < 50 landed punches ?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was anyone listening to the Spanish in Pedraza's corner? Were they calling out times or cues to go southpaw? Pedraza switched right at the halfway mark for a few rounds, usually when he got pushed to the ropes and wanted to circle out. One time he did switch early, I think because he felt like Loma was having too much success.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey, a bit out of left field but did anyone else find the their love of boxing complicated by an increased awareness of concussions and the long term health effects? It's been weighing on me lately.

I got a concussion in a match in a kickboxing tournament mid 2017. Took me forever to stop psyching myself out with whether I was experiencing symptoms long-term. Couldn't quite train the same way after.
I used to pay the most attention to how tired fighters were getting, to try to study the nuances of their output and technique to see how much gas they had left.
After the concussion, I've latched onto scrutinizing how badly they're affected by strong hits. Like once someone stumbles a little bit, I can't watch anything else but how much they're handling being rocked.

The worst fights are those where a guy gets rocked but has enough wherewithal to teeter around the ring with guard up and keep eating shots until the bell.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

If you think Wilder Fury is all boxing has to offer wooo boy.

He offered a lot of things that one could like about the fight -- can you offer commentary on what you didn't find entertaining in those specific areas?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is it possible Floyd negotiated a separate TBD stream that he gets a bigger cut of?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was the match bettable, since it was an exhibition? Is there a reason to fix other than for betting's sake?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He's only 20, undefeated, and I can't think of a fight where he's really been staggered like that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Byolante posted:

Hes only 20, undefeated, and I can't think of a fight where he has fought somebody with an extra quarter of his weight

I'm not denying that Floyd hit him harder than Tenshin's normal competition; I'm just saying I can't produce any forensics for thehappyprince because he's only had a few, successful fights.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That's why it was only intriguing when it was a kickboxing fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not that convincing, imo.

quote:

Of the fights scored at a judge’s table, all his cards [scores from her fiance, whose credentials aren't given, and yet she lists as a requirement for accurate judging to have trained before] matched the official results. From the first or second row, eight of his 10 scores matched the official results. From more than 10 rows back only seven of his cards matched. The fights he scored from home matched the official scores eight times out of 10.

If score means points, and not just who won, 8/10 times matching a judge's using TV is pretty loving good. If it's who won, that's completely acceptable.