Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I could never play a game that tasked me with killing Pavel Petel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Ikari Worrier posted:

It's a bold new world out there, folks. One where you are free to swing your Nerf Sword and hit stock combatants in a generic village until you get bored, which takes about 60 seconds. Definitely watch the trailer for this one, but here's a couple screenshots that the developers decided looked better with a ridiculous amount of jpg artifacting:

Ahahaha, it's using the same stock HUD elements that Aztecopalyse from a few pages back did.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I mostly just like Yang's stuff because a lot of lovely people get completely apoplectic over it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

It's a shame it's front-ended with boring poo poo

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I'm never gonna play it, but I'm curious to know what the hosed up poo poo is, given that the premise of the game from the outset is that the characters are pictures of pigeons. You're saying it gets weirder?

Nah, I never got that far in it because I found the gameplay to be boring af to begin with

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Strap on your jet satchel, get ready for excite

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Why? There is literally no downside to having more games on Steam outside of same vague sense of moral outrage among a small group of people and plenty of great games that never would have gotten on Steam have showed up since they moved from their old "know a guy who works for Valve" model of adding titles so it's a net good regardless.

I don't use Steam's Discovery Queue anymore, because every time I do, it's populated with nothing but lovely asset flips that get put on there because "it was recently released". The signal/noise ratio is in the gutter, and I don't have the patience to go wading through a sea of garbage to find the couple of gems. This is especially bad for indie games, who won't have the marketing budget to get their name out there, and have to rely almost entirely on word-of-mouth to get sales. If no one discovers their games to begin with, they're not getting that sort of word-of-mouth buzz going.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

That dunkey vid is pro super seducer footage

I kinda wish the game was just full on parody instead of actual PUA stuff because it's kinda funny that there's a game out there with options like "be creepy" followed by a dude explaining why being creepy is bad.

I had heard of the game and saw the title screen art a few days before I saw dunkey's vid, and thought it was like a successor to Leisure Suit Larry with Archer's aesthetic, and it was going to skewer this sort of poo poo. I'm incredibly disappointed to have been wrong.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Twitch posted:

Lately I've been mostly playing console games, and for all the problems I have with Sony & Nintendo's storefronts, not having to deal with this poo poo is great.

Same, except I'm using GoG's storefront a lot more.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

lmao, they still have that up with the stolen soundtrack and everything, jfc

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Lunethex posted:

https://techraptor.net/content/huniepop-other-adult-games-facing-removal-steam-store

An article on the issue and talks about the vague emails received. Valve didn't source the complaint, only that "one was received", and naturally nothing else was said.

Techraptor is a fuckin trash website tho. Is this article even trustworthy?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Tell me about Deponia

It's a point-and-click adventure with a decent amount of moon-logic and writing that steadily gets worse as the series goes on. It starts out darkly humourous, but by the third or fourth game, the guy you spend the entire game following devolves into being just a hateful, loathsome gently caress.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Sardonik posted:

Hard to imagine he gets worse, he starts the first game as an extremely unlikable rear end in a top hat who feels like he stepped right out of CAD. Bounced off very hard as a result. Which was a shame because I did like the art direction of the world.

Yeah, it looks great, but Rufus starts out bad and only gets worse. By the third game, he's destroying a black woman's life so he can actually literally sell her into slavery to an organ grinder (who insists on referring to her exclusively as "Monkey").

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

It's like when a game pokes fun at a lovely, overused, tedious game mechanic, but still makes the player go through the sequence with the game mechanic anyway. Just because the developer is self-aware about the use of a lovely part of a game doesn't excuse them from actually making a part of their game lovely on purpose.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Kanfy posted:

being a good book or movie writer doesn't automatically make you a good game writer.

And even when it does, it doesn't mean that the game will be good. Clive Barker's Undying is fairly well-regarded, iirc, but Jericho is decidedly less so, through no fault of Barker's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The beta had a bug where pressing any button on the launcher caused the game to uninstall itself and force you to download the 50GB client again. I know it's a beta, but how does something like that get sent to people?

Also you move faster and hit harder based on your FPS so that's fun