Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Glazius posted:

Man, I guess somewhere in the middle somebody ripped "subtlety" out of this mysterious other dimension's dictionary.

If you think this is bad just you wait.

Stumbling across this LP might be the motivation I need to go back and keep playing this. I fell off around Chapter 4 I think, mostly due to burnout from playing a ton of it in a very short time, but I'm totally on board with the level of anime. Just, uh, leave your expectations for a hard-hitting examination of the Japanese entertainment industry at the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Carlioo posted:

Another reason for why sessions are broken is that you have such a ridiculous amount of EP, which means you can always use a skill, which also means you can always do sessions! In the other Atlus games that I've played (SMTIV and Persona Q), you have to be a lot more conservative with your MP to make sure you don't run out before meeting a tough monster, while here you can just use skills whenever you want without worrying about the consequences. Which honestly makes the game feel a lot more fun, even if there's less strategy involved.

Yeah, the game pulling away from the usual mechanics of Magic Points being scarce and limiting your ability to use them is maybe my favorite thing gameplay-wise (besides sessions because they're just cool and fun and very satisfying to pull off, especially after you get a couple of the skills that open them up more). This is also nice because it means heals and debuff removal aren't that big a pain to just manage with party members, instead of having to rely on items all the time, so you're a lot more durable, too.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Rangpur posted:

No no, see, the demons represent the entertainment industry or possibly the Yakuza sucking the Performa (represents youthful energy and passion) out of their performers, leaving them broken husks (aka NPCs). Your only way of safeguarding against this is bonding with a powerful spirit (talent agent), represented by characters from a separate video game series because that sort of concern for the performer's well-being is foreign to the industry as a whole.

I mean yeah I came to that as a potential reading too, but the counterpart is that it paints this as an unnatural outsider intervening in the industry instead of a foundational part of what created it in the first place, as your Unity Spirits are just 'purified' versions of the demons themselves, placing them and their influence as also external, which is possibly worse for eliding the ways that that exploitation is inherent to the systems. Of course, I haven't finished the game myself so maybe it goes harder for that down the line, but I'm more inclined to just approach it as a story about the redemptive and generative potential of sincere artistic passion and expression, versus the pursuit of advancement, prestige or material accumulation, rather than as a broad-reaching industry critique.

Apologies if this is excessive talk about larger game ideas for being in the tutorial; I'll delete it right away if it's too much.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 7, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GeneX posted:

It's a game about jpop, actually

what about touma akagi, cool stage actor man, huh

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Touma is the best character in this game, because he went whole hog on being a superhero, right down to the secret identity, before the game even began. Also,

Touma posted:

in situations like this, it's all about the showmanship, know what I mean?

He understands that at the end of the day, it's all about looking cool.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

FoolyCharged posted:

Not directly, but you try to tell me fe7 paladins don't have their horses involved in their crits. They add style in a universe where looking super rad as you attack adds damage.

Just wait for Touma's super, that's all I'm saying.

Kurieg posted:

I wouldn't mind it being subtitled so much if they didn't leave some dialog out of the translation. Like when Touma shows up and does his anime as hell translation he says a bunch of stuff that isn't subtitled.

Yeah, this was one of my bigger gripes. Every turn the characters say something, and while the models are expressive enough to get the general tone, I'd like to actually know the specifics. Same with special moves and call-outs and stuff.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I literally only knew about this at first thanks to the FYE I was working at promoting it's release with a single sign we didn't take down for months. That was the only place I saw anything about it, online or offline, until I was actively looking for reviews after getting a WiiU. It really does just feel like it was pushed out to fulfill an obligation more than anything on Nintendo's end, which is too bad for a game with as fun of a combat system. For all its flaws (looking at you, jiggle physics), I wish there was the possibility of more of these games, instead of having that chance cut off before it even came out.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Artix posted:

Do I get to reveal my awful opinions already? :allears: Kiria's outfits are universally terrible and her only good one is her street clothes. Yes, even the Labyrinth outfit.

I agree with this. All of Touma's outfits are great though. Especially his second sidequest one.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I'm pretty sure Hi-Fiber Vortex is the best drink because it boosts everyone's luck.

Also, first Carnage Unity for each person unlocks their first special, yeah.

ChaosArgate posted:

Shame on you if you wouldn't want Tiki for a little sister. :colbert:

I was all prepared to dislike/be skeeved out by Tiki after her first time shouting "ONI-CHAAAAAN!!!" at me but dammit she is just too adorable.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Oberndorf posted:

I think my favorite part of the whole affair is Itsuki's reaction to the various beverages. There's a rotating selection here, and at a couple other. Vending machines around town, and he has a food review on every single one. No matter how bizarre the drink, Itsuki has something complimentary to say about it.

It's the tiniest thing, but it adds a fair amount of personality to Our Hero, Blandman, and is emblematic of the effort put into the game.

I'd always parsed that as similar to the involved description every alcohol gets in the Yakuza games, just being about really getting the player into the mind of consuming the thing, but I like this interpretation better.

KingEffingFrost posted:

Tiki is a good girl. Tries hard, great blacksmith, a credit to the team.

Plus her Back-Up Skills are the most useful. Tiki is all around pretty great.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Maiko's stickers are the best ones.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SC Bracer posted:

They're more like FOEs from Etrian Odyssey really. So yeah, sure is an Atlus game.

Also I found that estoma is kinda handy if you specifically want to spawn Savage Enemies in the lategame for whatever reason.

Estoma is also nice when you have to go back to earlier dungeons for requests and such to avoid having to fight enemies twenty levels beneath you every ten steps. I'm also pretty sure I've never used anything besides Tsubasa's Traport to get out of dungeons, because why bother burning an item to save EP if I'm immediately going to slam a Hi-Fiber Vortex from the office vending machine for a full recovery?

Savage Enemies are dicks but sometimes you can dodge out of the way at the last second and they'll keep charging past you instead of coming around. Plus it's satisfying to come back and wreck them when you're overlevelled for the dungeon.

Also it's Unity Note, not Tiki, who sends you updates about available unities. You're just ignoring poor l'il Tiki!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Commander Keene posted:

I always, always, always have Smoke Machines on hand in case I get hit by a Savage Encounter I'm not super prepared for. That 100% escape chance is handy against them. Then again, Hee-Ho Mart might not sell them yet, which means you might only have one or two from drops or chests, if any, at this point. You have to treat Savage Encounters like bosses (or at least mini-bosses), because they will kick your poo poo in otherwise. That means going in with buffs and debuffs, because those things hit like trains with electrified cow-catchers bolted on front.

Tiki will also tell you about new Carnages and skills. Her Topic messages on them are less specific than Unity Note's though. IIRC, she just says "It looks like you can make a new Carnage/skill, so come back to the Bloom Palace when you get the chance!" or something like that.

I'd forgotten Tiki's messages, you're right. Still, though! Poor Tiki, stuck in the Palace, just trying to be helpful.

And yeah, Smoke Machines are probably my second most used item after Fresh Spicy Curries, specifically for Savage Enemy escapes, but the Hee-Ho doesn't expand stock until after, I think, so the 106 is a bit of a pain there.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It also won't work against bosses, right? You can't overkill stuff (because the boss is alone) so no cancellation of the boss's immunities... or something like that?

Depends on the boss, some of them have trash mob backup, which you can do exactly that with. Even then, though, you'd usually be better off coming straight for the boss with their own weakness, since you're only going to be hitting with the tail end of sessions using the mobs as boosts, which won't be much damage even with Overkill boosts. And basically every boss ends the fight when they die, regardless of other enemies on the field, so expending resources on something besides them isn't ~optimal~.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
It really is too bad that the game blows its best boss design in Chapter 2, especially since nearly half the bosses symbolize disillusionment/boredom, but only Gangrel really conveys it.

Also, the western localization still uses Tsubasa's original outfit for one of her Ad Libs, which at least for me casts the change here as less 'oh no skimpy clothes' and more as 'a high school student doing this kind of modelling is pretty skeevy and not what we want the feel to be here'.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GeneX posted:

I think having the highschooler not be in lingerie as she poses provocatively for the risque photographer is very much an okay thing

Good ol' Horny Horinozawa

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Junpei posted:

Another shown point of paying attention to detail is that characters can sometimes shout out the name of the next person in a Session. I know I've heard Tsubasa go "Touma-san!", and Touma go "Kiria!", and a few other characters do the same thing.

I really wish the in-combat incidental dialogue was subbed, I want to know what my squad of goofballs are shouting to each other.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Omobono posted:

If somebody is going to hit a null, drain or repel, their portrait is heavily tinted red and as a second warning there's a voice clip (this is the only warning you get if said party member is in the bench).

This isn't entirely true; on the list of session follow-ups, there will be a little face in the risk column to designate that it's a bad element-resistance combination. I can't remember specifically what, but I think there's a :| face for Null and a D: face for Repel. Haven't played the game recently though, so I can't say for sure my memory is reliable.

Junpei posted:

You can usually tell what's going on. It's usually idle chatter between party and Mirage (Tharja does creepy chuckle, Kiria says her name in a questioning tone, Itsuki and Chrom say a badass line in unison) or commentary on the the condition of the fight (Itsuki yelling Tsubasa's name if she's KOed, Touma groaning because he's poisoned).

Well yeah, I can guess the gist from context and delivery but I want to understand it what specifically is being said.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I really really like Ellie. She also has the second coolest Mirage Master form after Touma.

Well, second coolest party member Mirage Master form.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
As someone with basically no Fire Emblem familiarity beyond Ike and company and Marth in Smash Bros., Ellie's mirage interactions are easily my favorite.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Maiko's great, y'all a buncha squares. Look how hard she worked for the lamest passive skill in the game!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Another vote for 'no Touma looks fly as hell'.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Jade Rider posted:

If that leopard print for Touma isn't an available costume for him I will be VERY disappointed.

Glazius posted:

My sentiments exactly. That's too great an ensemble not to punch crazy monsters from the performance dimension.

The people have spoken, Artix, you know what costume you have to get next.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Aw yes, it's time for Sessions to get ludicrous.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Y'all obsessing over the Yashiro reveal, and I'm just over here loving that Barry's mirage master outfit is also his old heavy metal band corpsepaint outfit.

Barry is great.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I am so excited for next update you don't even know.

I am also excited for when we finally save manzai comedy.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Ellie's date is a standout moment.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Pretty sure they mean Ike/Soren.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yashiro with the drive-by rain on the friendship parade.

Also, I feel like One-Sided Love has an unusually high chance of triggering because once I unlocked it it seemed to go off every other attack for Ellie.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, when your party members take Carnage Form going into a battle (and during the cutscenes of them doing so at the start of a battle that sometimes play)

The cutscenes specifically play when either a new party member is used for the first time, with them doing their street clothes to carnage form transformation, or if you've changed someone's costume since their last time out, though it only plays for one person even if multiple folks have a new outfit on.

Also it's still hosed up Artix doesn't have Touma in his leopard print leather jacket aka the best outfit in the game.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Draug is cool because Barry is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Tiki=Waifu really is great for just being a decent and helpful person. Even with Itsuki being a real awkward weirdo.

• Locked thread