Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Subyng posted:

No I agree with mastershakeman. Yes they were using the station as cover, so why wasn't the stealth ship attempting to maneuver around it to get a clear shot? Maybe it was, but the way the scene was presented it seemed like the stealth ship wasn't really doing anything. Maybe waiting for the Roci to pop out of cover?

Lol let's not pretend that any of us know how ship to ship combat works without rigidly defining a whole bunch of parameters (on that note, check out the game Children of a Dead Earth if you're curious about an actual space combat SIM). But strictly speaking you're still wrong because you can, for example, launch a missile that intercepts a target on the opposite side of a planetary body. But yes, the key point is that in this scene the Roci was using the station for cover, but the stealth ship still seemed a bit too complacent.

The show made the stealth ship appear to be gigantic too, so it might just not have been able to get in there easily (or maybe to roci hurt it a lot, didn't take much to finish it off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

That’s how it works in the books, yeah.\

And in The Hunt for Red October

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Svaha posted:

The Expanse, Season 2: "So... Do you like space gladiator movies?"

The Expanse, Season 2: "I think all that radiation failed to give me superpowers"

"Have you ever talked to a pedophile?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HERAK posted:

If my memory of the book is correct getting it on and off isn't quick, and not something that you'd want to do if the ship was maneuvering in combat. They absolutely were not expecting to be needing to repel boarders, so hadn't suited up.

Not even expecting being attacked at all. In the books even more than the show the concept that someone would actually attack the Donnager, the most powerful ship in the solar system, was utterly laughable. It didn't even register to them early on that the ships approaching would fire.

Also, add me to the confused book readers on how the're dealing with Draper. Honestly the fact that she's a marine is the least interesting thing about her character

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Also singer of one the greatest lyrics ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRwYQgk05DY

"All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh no!"

Say what you will about that song, at least it got us this

https://youtu.be/gh4zvQfDhi0

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or Yasser Arafat

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Iron Rose posted:

Pretty much. Johnson is totes Abbas

He does seem like a dancing queen

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Platystemon posted:

Enola Gay didn’t become sentient and make a beeline for D.C. at mach 5 till a Pinkerton agent convinced it to bomb Molokai instead.

That's just what They want you to believe. Wake up sheeple

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

General Battuta posted:

The reason Cibola Burn would make a dismal loving season of TV is that something like half the book is spent under constant rain in waist-deep mud infested with poisonous slugs. And not in a cool hell planet way, it's just everybody huddled together in some ruins, trying to keep the slugs out while they go blind. It would be a thin premise for an episode of Stargate, never mind a trying-to-be-prestige drama.

You'd need Lars von Trier to make that situation entertaining to watch.

I wish people would stop bringing up the drat slugs in that book. They were involved for a chapter and a half in a sort of "meanwhile, back at band camp" sort of manner. I went into that book thinking "Aw jeez, this is going to be like book 7 of Harry Potter all over again, 78% being some boring rear end camping trip where nothing happens", but it wasn't. The slugs were a non-issue. Still wasn't a great book, and most of its problems involve a bunch of aggressively boring new characters and a military guy that spent 90% of the book screaming "I'm gonna blow up that town if you don't do what I say! I mean it! Just you wait!"

Many problems, slugs just not really the all encompassing page-fillers that people seem to enjoy making them out to be.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

fridge corn posted:

Im surprised no one has suggested yet that holden is some kind of deconstruction of the archetypal lead good guy by actually being played as an insufferable self righteous unlikeable prick

Yeah, he's basically your oldschool D&D lawful stupid paladin in the books

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AirborneNinja posted:

I thought he sold being pinned to a wall by magnets capable of holding a heavy rear end crate in place during 15+ g burns while a giant blue space man alternatively tears up his ship or tries to eat his face pretty well.

I dunno, he was no Paul Reubens

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

It's crustless white bread with cucumber and mayo or cream cheese. Tastes like heaven.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If I recall the plot of 3 correctly it's not a huge loss if they just merge in the important bits elsewhere and skip the main conflict there. It was all interesting stuff, just a bit slow for TV.

I'm just hoping they spend a good amount of time on the payoff for the stolen stealth stuff that was discussed in like episode 1.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

I'm just excited for when the Roci gets upgraded with the railgun. I dont know what book that is in because I haven't read them

I think that's actually pretty late in the series, like the slug book everyone whines about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Book 4 was the slug planet story with proto-Miller

Ah, thought that was 5

• Locked thread