Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This show is extremely my poo poo, but I have to say that space battle was the most thrilling one I can recall since BSG

Alex's speech at the bar made my eyes water up a bit :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hey where can I get "Amos is my Homeboy" and "It's Miller Time" tshirts

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad someone told me they were making a TV series literally seconds before I ordered the books, I stopped myself and so this is all new to me

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

PriorMarcus posted:

He's kind of terrible as Fred.

gently caress no he owns

I like his gravely hardass voice too. "I need 50 good fighters, send your best!" needed that and he had it

Also loved that miller's space hair clipper had a random LED in it for no reason

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This show is like a loving religious experience for me, this must be how some kinds of autistic people feel about trains

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I want everyone to settle down and work together and overthrow capitalism and live a life of peace and luxury harvesting the limitless resources of space.

We have nowhere to go but up, space comrade

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I actually liked the Martian marines once they stopped dunking on Earth Guy and showed some empathy so my only real complaint is that their power armour reminds me a bit too much of the nonsensical armour permutations from the later Halo sequels that nobody likes

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
All yall complaining about the exploding consoles better be all over the new Star Trek's balls when that comes out

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I do like that the misery in the expanse seems at least realistic and the powers involved are locked into it. Earth can't stop brutally squeezing the belt because they need resources for their dead gay planet with a majority of people on some form of welfare. Any losses from the belt, any rise in prices would directly translate into lower living standards on earth which would be political suicide for anyone who allowed it to happen. They can't reduce their military budget because mars might get the upper hand in space and earth absolutely needs those space resources or it could potentially be a total collapse of their society.

Mars is absolutely addicted to water from the belt for their terraforming which they obsess over in an almost cult like way. It was delayed for a generation due to a small scrap with earth and now they blame all their delays and problems on the fact that they have to divert resources away from terraforming towards military. They can't let up on the belt because they need those resources for their sacred project, the one thing that unifies all martians. They also can't let up on their military spending because what if the earth gets the upper hand in the belt and slows down their terraforming project once again?

The OPA is a bunch of factions ranging from the more reasonable and diplomatic with some actual realistic expectations and plans like Fred, to just revenge focused terrorists who can't think beyond the next bombing. If everyone was united behind Fred they could negotiate better pay and slightly more resource extraction profits staying in the belt. Just enough to allow the belt to long-term improve its quality of life, without causing mars to tell its poeple terraforming will be only enjoyed by yet another generation in the future, or earth having to drastically cut basic and have riots on its hands. In fact tons of belters would call Fred an uncle tom traitor if he successfully negotiated something like that. The belt only needs a bit more of those resources to stay home which they could invest in more and more production and better working conditions. As long as earth and mars get their quotas the rest is gravy to be re-invested into their society, and after a generation or so those quotas will look tiny. But gradual improvements which don't involve billions dead in war aren't what most radical OPA want.

By the time I finished reading this post I became a radicalized OPA extremist bent on nuking the inyaloda scum, holy gently caress I hope they do a bit where a talking head is on TV saying poo poo like you did and then some wirey-looking freak with an undercut runs in and clobbers him with a spanner or something

Oppressed populations typically do not (and nor should they) give a gently caress about their oppressors

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

Are we sure that the people we saw on Earth were on basic, rather than some hobos living under a bridge that Bobby found by going to the wrong neighbourhood?

It seemed to me like these were the people living outside the system, which would explain the loudspeaker advertising basic, trying to convince people to sign up

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

Forgot to mention, I hope this episode finally kills the Bobbie criticism.

I was loving fist pumping during the scene where she took Martens to task

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSG is worth seeing through once (and if you watched it when it was on the air, that was probably enough) but for all the reasons others have pointed out it doesn't really hold up upon rewatches, after awhile everyone just becomes a stupid rear end in a top hat and at the end everybody just decides to give up...? Whatever, it did a lot of things well enough that every sci fi show since then has tried to lift at least part of BSG's style. This is pretty understandable since until then pretty much the whole genre was stuck riffing on the Trek formula, I think the last show to change things up was Babylon 5 but it never had the impact on following shows that BSG did.

The Expanse hasn't hit the sheer emotional weight of scenes like the New Caprica rescue but as a series it's its own animal and feels like a proper science fiction story adapted for television, and overall I feel like it's been a more enjoyable experience than BSG was at this point in it's run.

And I mean what the gently caress else is there with spaceships in it right now, Dark Matter? Killjoys at least tries to have fun with itself but DM pisses me off at how much of a terrible throwback to 90s syndicated shows that weren't Star Trek or Xena were

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Man I'm more glad than ever I didn't read the books because I thought this episode was loving awesome

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
zoom in on the cock

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Expanse isn't exactly "hard" scifi it's just really internally consistent with how its universe's physics and technology works unlike 99% of space shows.

That's hard enough for this show to gently caress my brain

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Dark Matter and Killjoys should have stayed in the late 90s where they belonged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If I had one major complaint about The Expanse it would be how unremarkable the music has been for the most part. The theme is pretty decent but nothing else has really jumped out at me.

• Locked thread