Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Azhais posted:

The show made the stealth ship appear to be gigantic too, so it might just not have been able to get in there easily (or maybe to roci hurt it a lot, didn't take much to finish it off)

I'm guessing because it's a huge PITA, most ships run with normal life support on. When you get ready for combat, people get in space suits and then they compress the atmosphere as much as possible someone safeish and vent the rest. That prevents fires and makes venting atmosphere from holes being drilled into your ship not a big deal. Since it was just a salvage ship, the stealth ship probably opted not to get combat ready. Whoops. That means their weapons are fairly ineffective against the Roci (most of the ship isn't vital systems so most of their bullets just hit it ineffectually) but the Roci's hits count for a lot (venting atmosphere, starting fires, etc. all while people are presumably scrambling to put on their space suits).

No idea if that is what they do in the books but based on what we saw in the show that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They talked about it a couple of times but since they are used to it, it isn't something they pontificate on. It's one of the things I like about the show. For genre fiction, there is a lot less "We're in space so in space because space".

Beautiful episode.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Baronjutter posted:

I looked up that Blindsight book and it all sounded good but for seemingly no reason at all apparently vampires are real and someone on the mission is a vampire and at the end there's some sort of vampire war. What the hell. Some dude just had to jam vampires into his scify?

Others have commented on the thematic utility of vampires. Like others, I wasn't big on them but they make sense.

The person who told you there was a vampire war at the end . . . that's a very wrong way to take the ending. Like, thinking over the ending I can see why someone would think that if all they did was read the book until they explained vampires (very early) and then skipped right to the last couple of pages and read those.

Reviewing is hard work and sometimes you are going to phone it in. Blindsight has a lot of great ideas but the prose is . . . pretty poor. It reminds me a lot of "The Helix and the Sword" where the plot is good, the new ideas as fantastic and the writing is very poor.

I can't fault whichever reviewer you read phoning it in but really the book deserves a read if only because the ideas are so fantastic.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Having known meatheads in real life, those scenes aren't my favorite but they aren't inaccurate either.

I'm an outsider looking in and I could tell how much of an "outsider imaging what looking in looks like" they are but they still worked. Dumbass marines can't wait for contact . . . until contact happens. My understanding of the character arc from the poorly spoilered things in this thread is that Marine One's character in the books starts after she's had that initial disastrous first contact where she learns that you aren't actually the hero of some movie or game and that no matter how well prepared you are real people still loving die and that . . . fucks with your mind.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Trump means we'll never have another episode again. Anyone who says differently will be put on a list for unamerican acivities.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Make the House Un-Ameircan Activities Great Again!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Is the broadcast version different from the one you buy?

Like, I recorded it on Syfy and I didn't get to see the monster until this week in the "last week on the Expanse" recap.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Platystemon posted:

It’s the last scene before credits roll in episode 6.

Was not on my recording.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
They should have followed the books and made Bobbi white. I can't identify with her struggle now that she isn't white.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I love the hairless cat Miller memes but where do they come from and why do they exist? I want to delve deeper and drink deeply.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

crazypeltast52 posted:

I did not know this and am glad that it was asked.

I am so very glad I asked.

This makes me very happy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Smiling Jack posted:

It wasn't a mafia. they were wearing Star Helix uniforms, who were the private police organization Miller worked for.

:stare:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not that Star Helix is a shining beacon of integrity, but they could have just been wearing the Star Helix uniforms as a pretense for boarding ships.

:stare:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kassad posted:

That's still not even remotely enough to reach 30 billion. Africa is growing this fast because it's the last continent going through a demographic transition towards low birth and death rates (they'll get there by 2100). World population is most likely going to plateau at around 10 or 11 billion. Unless Hans Rosling is wrong.

Now, seriously? That's just racist bullshit.

Edit: Here's a book with a plot like what you describe.

gently caress that noise.

FTFY

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

vermin posted:

Speaking of fitting 30,000,000,000 on one planet this video was pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_iNRGac_uM

Trigger warning, that video recognizes the state of Palestine.

Here's a palate cleanser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtB2ZfVuLhY

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bates posted:

If robots have taken over all the jobs in the supply chain manufactured goods become very cheap - as long as you have the natural resources it won't cost much to turn it into things. The only way the scarcity in the Expanse makes sense is if there is not enough resources to produce things from. I guess Earth tried to solve that by turning to resources in space - until some Martians decided to hog half of it because they wanted an ocean view. loving Martians.

Yes, clearly the only reason for wealth inequality is that we need more resources from another space.

*neoliberalism.txt*

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Accretionist posted:

Basic is funded by High Taxes on the Job Creators which is Killing Jobs. That's why everyone's unemployed and no one's making anything.

Best username/post combo.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm assuming they have some form of hukou system in place.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Smiling Jack posted:

Read Command and Control, which is loving terrifying

Sure, but keep in mind Russia had ICBMs before America did and made a point of showing that off.

Russia is also notoriously paranoid, especially during the time period we are talking about.

They didn't first strike but came close. It was about as asymmetrical as you can get too.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Toast Museum posted:

I think their point, or at least what I found so striking about Command and Control, was how slipshod our handling of nuclear weapons was (and in some ways probably still is). It's honestly shocking that there hasn't been an accidental detonation yet.

Not an angle I had considered, but how could someone with a Bender av not point out the slipshod nature of our reality.

Thank you.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In a resource scare environment, you'd think they'd regulate recreational drugs more stringently.

Likewise, in an environment where lack of hope/ennui is the biggest driver of social unrest, you'd expect widely available recreational drugs.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

crazypeltast52 posted:

Whiskey doesn't age in bottles though. The alcohol is too high for anything to change after it is sealed, so it isn't like wine where it ages post bottling. Unless a barrel was somehow travelling by sea and went down with the ship, but that would only happen if Scotland was sending a barrel overseas for blending.

Every rear end in a top hat who knows nothing about alcohol but wants to seem cultured thinks whisky ages like wine. While factually untrue, I felt the exchange was genuine to both characters and also emphasized things we strongly suspected.

Best moment in the episode was Martian marine fighting against leaving a brutal gravity well but laughing a Crisjen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like the protomolecule as a space chicken from hell.

Also, no reason to have additional maneuverability on the cheap probes. Space is mostly empty so provided their trajectory for earth was good enough no reason to account for other variables. Especially since it is presumably a high throughput process so it doesn't have to work that often for it to meaningfully work.

• Locked thread