Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Can we get a "Doors and corners kid" title change to honor Miller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I like that the asteroid is named after exotic desire and basically what has happened to it is analogous to human reproduction. Proto molecule is the sperm and the space station is the egg

Nope you got it wrong. Eros is the sperm, Venus is the egg

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

No, Eros is the place where the DNA of two lifeforms mixed. Venus would be the environment it grows in or whatever

Dude the imagery is there for you to see.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

gfarrell80 posted:

Neither analogy is perfect. Both aren't bad. Eros had a kind of womb-like gestation going on, with a male entering with a bomb to connect with a female. Venus did get splooged on.

Technically the metaphor for sex and fertalization occured when Julie came in contact with the proto-molecule. Mitosis is under way long before Miller arrives with the bomb. What he really does is guides the egg to the Goddess of love and beauty instead of Earth for implantation. The imagery of the crash is still a sperm meeting an egg.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 24, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Space Crabs posted:

Goons, the least qualified people on the planet, argue the minutiae of fertilization ITT.

Y'don't undastan' nuteen'. Me crush rear end to dust!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Number Ten Cocks posted:

which episode and yo momma joke were your favorites

Episode two and the one about if we crashed yo momma into Eros this thread would agree with the math.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

withak posted:

YM "pampaw" HTH.

Inyalowdas huh

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Addendum:
Protogen Hiring Manager: We cover medical, dental, empathy lobe microwaving, and every other Friday is Ice Cream Day!

Gel round capture the flag day!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I'm gonna miss the Roci drone. gently caress those MSF guys for taking it out.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Some of you are spoiling poo poo with book info the show obviously wants to reveal later helmet cam footage of the attack

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Baronjutter posted:

I got really pumped by her threatening rant about the parasites in the private sector and how corporations need to know their loving place and government has the ultimate power. God I wish more politicians and civil servants had that sense of duty and actual loyalty to their office, not just as a stepping stone for a cushy private sector job when they retire from public service.

Also why are ships blowing up a bunch of soy bean farms?? Was shouting "NO MY BEANS!!!" every time one of those big farms got destroyed. Is it all protogen once again trying to start a war and spooping the UN and Mars ?

I found the whole scenes really confusing, fast cuts and just lots of bullets arcing through space but everything was such short cuts I could never see what was going on or appreciate the situation.

And that outfit though. We need a gif of all Avasarala outfits

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

They could maybe use a research/training centrifuge for close‐ups, but people mostly just look like they’re exerting themselves and in pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMVNWZ4FzwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYP5hb789gM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpOvjGI3BM8

Here is a wind tunnel shot, for comparison:

https://i.imgur.com/EowtHYd.gifv

There's no wind in space? Well solar wind but you get it.
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=NV4CLk_kFL8

gohmak fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 2, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

UN point defence can't melt space mirrors :byodood:

I heard "pull it" over the coms man.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 4, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Apoffys posted:

Yeah, Drummer. I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on the show, but it's still weird that IMDB doesn't list it.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/Drummer_(TV)

Yeah Cara Gee confirmed on twitter.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

future ghost posted:

I think it's good that they're apparently combining Sam and Drummer since it doesn't really make sense to have two different characters for that. Would make the later stuff weird if they get shot on the Behemoth though.

Book Sam was Naomi's BFF but show Drummer is filling that roll.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

enraged_camel posted:

I miss Miller's cop friend.

Havlock or Muss?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 7, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Phi230 posted:

Prax, when the mirror fell

Wendell, his arms wide

Havlock and Millar at te aqua

gohmak fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 7, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

counterfeitsaint posted:

Diogo at Ceres, when the rear end was smashed to dust.

Sasa, when the wellwallas fell.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 7, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Baronjutter posted:

I was watching a clip of some japanese gameshow where they were testing people's english by trying to get them to say words to siri and it was so shameful when it couldn't understand. Except for the most part they were speaking incredibly clearly and the shame is entirely on siri being trash.

IPhone 8 will feature the Engrish keyboard.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Is there a gif of the blood misting out of her before it turns to snowflakes?

This episode was great. I had my trepidations about the actress playing Bobby but she wiped those all clear for me.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Was that the first time Inaros Clan was mentioned? During Dawes OPA roll call.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 9, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Mars4523 posted:

Only brown and (in the eyes of Holden at least) conventionally attractive. How often do the books have to say that she has Polynesian ancestry before people pick up that she's a person of color?

As a Black person it erks me to high hell when people attribute Caucasian features to characters specifically written to be of color. Watch when The Way of Kings gets its turn, the Alethi will lose their tan.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 9, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

They did spell that out in season one.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Jarl posted:

Will somebody explain to be how what Chrisjen Avasarala did made any difference in the end. I mean the missiles didn't solve anything. - Don't get me wrong. With the information they had it was the best move. It just turned out not to make a difference.

The working theory is the missiles could have further provoked proto-Eros thus jeopardizing Miller's negotiations with Julie.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Toast Museum posted:

Book background details that might not end up applying to the show:

Ceres (and probably other Belt stations) tried out a day/night cycle for a while early on, but they dropped it pretty quick. Public lighting is basically the same regardless of the hour. Your personal day/night cycle is basically defined by your working hours, and your social circle is largely a matter of who keeps similar hours. Tycho, for instance, runs on three eight-hour shifts, and the place is described as effectively being three cities that overlap yet barely interact.

Mars, I'm not sure about. I don't think it's been specified. Maybe they do something like the colonists in Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, where the clocks just hold at midnight for about 40 minutes and everyone loosens up for a bit.

But do they hold 40 minute orgies? Since that time doesn't really count. God I want an HBO Mars Trilogy show.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Phi230 posted:

Literally everything I've said happened in the show except Prax, who has been revealed as a new character for months and apparently in the new promo which I didn't see.

By Ganymede I meant the Ganymede battle which happened off screen and seems to have been cut entirely.

My theory is something will trigger Bobby to have a full flashback of the battle. We started to see new flashbacks in episode 7. it will be the discovery of the suite cam footage

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

tooterfish posted:

I hate to spoil it for you, but I think you deserve to know.

They got a new showrunner for season 2. He really wanted to capture the tween crowd, so the show has pivotted pretty hard towards that demographic. There's a lot of angst, worrying about clothes, some pretty on point messaging about bullying and acceptance, and it looks like the season climax is going to be a dance off.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This post is an absolute winner

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

tooterfish posted:

I hate to spoil it for you, but I think you deserve to know.

They got a new showrunner for season 2. He really wanted to capture the tween crowd, so the show has pivotted pretty hard towards that demographic. There's a lot of angst, worrying about clothes, some pretty on point messaging about bullying and acceptance, and it looks like the season climax is going to be a dance off.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

After a devastating nuclear apocalypse wiped out almost all life on Earth. The only known survivors lived on twelve space stations in Earth's orbit prior to the apocalyptic event. The space stations banded together to form a single massive station called "The Ark", where about 2,400 people live under the leadership of Chancellor Jaha.[1] Resources are scarce, so all crimes – regardless of their nature or severity – are punishable by ejection into space ("floating") unless the perpetrator is under 18 years of age.

After the Ark's life-support systems are found to be critically failing, 100 juvenile prisoners are declared "expendable" and sent to the surface – near former Washington, D.C.[8] – in a last ditch attempt to determine whether Earth is habitable again, in a program called "The 100". The teens arrive in a drop ship on a seemingly pristine planet they have only seen from space. They attempt to find refuge and supplies at an old military installation, Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center, located in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. However, they land some distance from the intended target and soon face other problems. Confronting both the wonders and the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

Most of the hate I see isn't even gender related. It's either she's too much of a war hawk (oh no! a character who isn't rationally correct about everything!)

Or that while completely traumatised and probably eating through a tube she blamed Earth marines for the death of her squad and couldn't recall what had actually happened (totally irrational! if I was her i would just have publicised the truth then united the belt then assassinated Mao and invented FTL travel)

Oh and replicators. We're going to need those for our post scarcity economy.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
When Holden and Naomi are in the airlock in episode 1 he makes small talk and asks if she likes those "Space Gladiator movies."

:shepspends:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

The Iron Rose posted:

Pretty much. Johnson is totes Abbas

Mars is Israel and the US is the UN?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Party Plane Jones posted:

It's a book thing; the entire first book is pretty much concentrated on the Belt vs Mars with Earth as an afterthought (in fact, Earth and Mars are coordinated in having a anti-piracy patrol they both participate together in); as soon as the poo poo hits the fan in the belt Earth pulls out of belt stations entirely. Miller doesn't get fired because he learns too much and tipped off his hand early; he gets fired more because he's a dead weight and the captain doesn't trust him to watch her back when OPA takes control of the station.

Outside of Earth's nukes, pulling out of the Belt, and Protogen, it might as well not exist in Leviathan Wakes.

No, in the book Miller gets fired because Dawes tells Shadid to do so. She knows that Star Helix is pulling out and Dawes OPA was signing the new pay checks.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Dawes is a lot less racist against Earthers in the belt than Castro was to blacks in Cuba and there's no reason to think Dawes is homophobic at all (or does the protomolecule = HIV?) so the comparison doesn't seem terribly apt, but you like the sort of political violence against minorities that you like, I guess.

What sort of gusano welwala, kaka felota is this?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 14, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
We book readers know that the historical anolog for the OPA is the Taliban :D

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 14, 2017

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

Belters are bad and the Inners should genocide them.

Ey koyo, keep ya mout shut before some rocks drop ya!

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Phi230 posted:

The first book described the OPA as Hamas directly

You know that was a book readers inside joke right? Of course the character I won't spoil was dead wrong.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Strategic Tea posted:

Earth is House Lannister, Mars is a Sherlock baddie and the Belt is Jesse Pinkman.

Crush rear end to dust bitch

Oh you done did it now! Time to pivot to GOT analogs. Holden is obviously Neddard Stark, Avasarala is Little finger, Amos is the Hound, Miller is Tyrion.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Jules Pierre Mao is Tywin, Dresdain is Joffrey.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Earth is George Lucas, Mars is Lucasfilm under Disney, the Belters are people who demand a theatrical cut blu-ray set.

You know drat well the Belt is Harmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ZorajitZorajit posted:

My roommate tore into belter creole last night. Initially I was defensive, because nerd social fallacies, but I'm pretty sure he's not wrong. He felt like the show was doing a disservice by having it, that the characters sound stupid -- both that the speech sounds asinine and that it makes the characters seem unintelligent. That belter-speak is questionably racially charged, relying on some of the queues of stereotypical African American Vernacular English. And that the series would be more seriously considered if it didn't have to have it's own con-lang, a decidedly pulp-fiction inclusion for annoying con-going fans.

Nah that's all inyaloda kaka feloda.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread