Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

AlternateAccount posted:

What did Alex say when they flipped around behind the stealth ship and started perforating them? My brain remembers it as "Surprise, cockfags!" but I am sure that wasn't it.
Assholes, not cockfags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess I wasn't just oblivious.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Axel Serenity posted:

Goddamn, this just shows how smartly SyFy has been playing this then.
Question is whether this is on Syfy. The writers apparently said that this is how they'd write things if they had to do it over, knowing where the story went so far.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Blame the book authors then, they're actively working on the show scripts. There's only so much in the budget in regards to both time and money, so YMMV.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Next episode sneek peak, haven't seen it posted. Kind of spoilerish I'd say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwgrsXeZxMM

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Subyng posted:

No I agree with mastershakeman. Yes they were using the station as cover, so why wasn't the stealth ship attempting to maneuver around it to get a clear shot? Maybe it was, but the way the scene was presented it seemed like the stealth ship wasn't really doing anything. Maybe waiting for the Roci to pop out of cover?
The entity in hiding usually has an advantage over the one searching. So latter party usually treads safely.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The TV series will certainly stop being fun, too, if they're going to spend more than one episode on the fourth book.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Perhaps my highschool level mechanics are rusty but:

Blue arrow is the tangent to the station's spin at the point he leaves the station, this would be his actual velocity vector as he is no longer subject to the centripetal spin, red arrow is the perceived direction he should move to from the camera's perspective as the station is still spinning.

Him actually falling backwards (which he clearly does, look at his head in the gif) is really a physics goof.

Maybe I'm wrong, not looking to start any fights, but it really looked wrong to me.
The blue arrow should point upwards, not to the left.

Nevermind, you were right. The red arrow should be pointing downwards however, due to centripetal (--edit: -fugal, whatever the gently caress) force. This poo poo is confusing.

Toast Museum posted:

The bigger goof is that docking acts like an on switch for gravity, even though the Roci is already matching the motion of the ring in order to dock with it.
Yea, Miller should have slowly accelerated towards the ground as soon the Roci started to fire its thrusters to match the station rotation.

Can't have everything. Better this flawed attempt instead of Star Trek style artificial gravity. BSG was kinda so so, in that they had artificial gravity, that also didn't seem to fail ever, but went out of their way for Newtonian physics with their Vipers.

--edit: vvv When the Roci reaches Tycho, before Miller plants himself, there's an exterior shot.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 6, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eiba posted:

Still, it's one wrong scene in a show that at least tries, so there's that.
Probably done for dramatic effect on TV. There's also non-autistic people watching this, and they might get confused, if the scenes would play in the proper order.

Eiba posted:

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure what is going on in that scene. There are no thrusters firing to keep the Rocinante lined up with the docking clamps. If the clamps are spinning with the station as they appear, the Rocinante would need to be constantly under thrust to match their arc. They wouldn't be able to just drift next to the clamps like that. You can see little jets for every other movement, but not maintaining their relative position to the dock clamps that should be on a curved (and therefore accelerating) trajectory.
From what I've read of their VFX guy over on reddit, the thrusters are computed based on animation, with manual veto for visual effect.

I'd wager that a space ship can afford purely tangential motion in combination with rotation around its axis for a short moment, to get caught by the docking clamp, instead of meticulously following the circular path of the ring. So long the alignment stays correct (via rotation). Like this the thrusters don't need to fire all the time. --edit: If some sperg would stabilize the footage and draw paths, I wouldn't be surprised that this is what happens on the top down view.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eiba posted:

Wait, I don't fully understand this, but if they don't need thrusters except to orient a bit... doesn't that mean that the scene with Miller is right? He should be moving around a bit for all the minor corrections, but still essentially floating until the clamps latch on.
Yeah, he should be moving across the room during the corrections, especially when the Roci enters an ongoing rotational motion (once you start spinning, it keeps going in space), because air drag wouldn't be enough to keep him in place while the ship rotates, unless his room happens to be at the center of rotation. Once the clamp latches to the ship, it'd force the ship into the circular path and create all the centripetal/-fugal forces for gravity.

Kesper North posted:

gently caress the cheap airlock scene, that's some quality SF right there :allears:
As discussed before, it is technically correct. The falling just looks goofy, because the actor had to make himself jump out of the prop.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 6, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So the book authors actually wrote the second episode? Heh, so blame them for Thoth, if you disagree with how it was handled.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's because the bacterias and the organisms they'd like to kill evolve in parallel and are based on the same "design principles", things are being kept in check. If you introduce a foreign entity, an organism has absolutely no means to deal with, it's case closed. Nanotech and bacteria aren't that comparable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Various important metals aren't as abundant as you might think. We get by currently, but in a world where you have to create and maintain infrastructure for 30 billion people, which I assume also brought up the third world more up to par with the first one, there's a lot of need for iron, copper and aluminium. Not to mention those rare earth metals, but I have no idea if one might find those on asteroids.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is this the whole scene from episode 1 that's missing on the streaming services?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHjgQF6y1M

If so, how in the gently caress did that happen?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bitprophet posted:

For reasons yet (AFAIK) unexplained, somewhere between SyFy and the VOD hosts, someone made the baffling decision / boneheaded mistake of handing over the rebroadcast cut instead of the regular cut. Thus the missing scene, lack of opening credits, and censored profanity.
Errrr, what's a rebroadcast cut? So eventually, on a second on-air broadcast, the castrated version would have run?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose I should qualify my statement of "not as abundant" with "easy to mine". Most of it being at the core is an issue that makes asteroid mining viable.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think the version I've watched is missing scenes again. I can't remember the bit where the Roci flies over the open dock in red light with the gas cannister spinning. FFS.

--edit: Nevermind, it's there after all.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 16, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

404notfound posted:

If the protomolecule can defy the laws of physics by instantly altering the trajectory of an entire asteroid, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the resulting effects of acceleration, or lack thereof
I mean, if we're doing book talk... How can a book reader be surprised about that scene, when there's this whole shtick about the 600m/s speed limit around Medina.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Tree Dude posted:

There's something about Avasarala's voice that bothers me. Not the sound of it... the cadence of her speech, maybe? I dunno. I'll see myself out.
Glad to hear that I'm not alone in this. The conference room bits were especially jarring, in a "What the gently caress do these words even mean? I guess I just blart them out with unfitting pronunciation" kind of way.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The writers were well aware that the Nauvoo should have zipped past Eros like a lightning, but dramatic effect and all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7KIFD62duA

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

At least the plumes of the Nauvoo burned a big part of the construction scaffold, and at least one of those pusher drones turned into collateral by getting too close. That was a nice touch.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wouldn't necessarily believe what the HUD in the show says. In season 1, when they were inching closer to the Scopuli, the HUD displayed very high delta-v.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IIRC one reason they've dropped the zombie theme was that TV was already saturated as gently caress with zombie shows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Toast Museum posted:

For anyone curious, here's how last night's final scenes played out in the book. Spoiler tags in case any of the differences are addressed in a subsequent episode, or in case anyone currently reading the book wants to get there on their own.
I supposed it was muted because it wasn't a season finale/cliffhanger.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Syfy is cable? And the show airs at 10pm? Why exactly are the swears censored?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anything special going on over in the US, or what's with this break?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The middle is still very close to the hull in something that's mainly vertical.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The size of moons and planets depends on the focal length used in the camera or simulated in CGI. Arguing that it's physically implausible is not entirely correct.

That said, they've already said before, that for certain things, they'll lend themselves some artistic license. The Nauvoo flyby for example.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Nauvoo flyby doesn't really count, because that's an example of space being bent and moved in a way that we don't understand or can describe with our current understanding of physics, of course it's gonna look a little strange.
What?

The Nauvoo was supposed to have racked up like more than 20000 kilometers per second and supposed to hit Eros perpendicular to its orbit. Did that fly-by look anything like >20000kps?

That's what I mean. The Nauvoo was slow for visual effect. Planets might be big for visual effect.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Acceleration doesn't have anything to do directly with the speed of light. If the Eros accelerates at 5g and the Roci can, too, it'll keep pace. If they keep accelerating at 5g for weeks, both will reach an appreciable fraction of the speed of light.

Also, time dilation doesn't happen in your own frame of reference. All Eros saw is a rock coming in sideways at some 20000km/s. Actually, given it has an orbital velocity of similar speeds, given the right angle impact poo poo, some semblance of Pythagoras applies, actual impact speed would have been way more.

Either way, the point was, Miller shouldn't even have seen it coming and passing. I think in the book, the Roci crew was expecting an impact to happen out of the blue (--edit: kind of like shooting at a melon, you don't see the bullet strolling), and suddenly noticed Eros made a jump to the right and everyone had their jaw on the floor.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 4, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

20km/s takes like 34 minutes at 1g.

Also I just checked the episode. Their HUD said ~18900km/s before they cut away.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dawes had a rather prominent part in the first season. How can you forget that?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Given what various trailers showed in regards to that, that story part will probably be dealt with with a flashback.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A whole lot seem to be loving oblivious, given all the jingoistic poo poo that goes on in the US (most of you are from there).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I like how every time there's big physics/space scenes, there's always a decent modicum of complaints about lack of realism. :D

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, computer systems were aware of his whereabout on Tycho. So there were probably passports, ID chips or whatever fancy schmancy stuff involved. The hauler probably knew one of these ways.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Some of you people. There's a hearing and y'all complaining that people do the appropriate thing and just sit still? Really? Might as well complain about some more explosive decompression.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eiba posted:

Spoiler tags are good. Hinting at stuff outside of tags makes you an rear end in a top hat. That much is clear to me at least.
Sometimes even spoiler-tagged replies to some speculation is pretty assholish. Quite a few times it could be interpreted as confirmation, and often rightly so.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Drone Jett posted:

Washington Post affiliated blog had an article on the Expanse.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...it-for-it-syfy/
They're linked a video to the run of the Tachi in the article. Watching it again, I'm surprised that I don't remember anyone complaining about bullet impacts spraying like fireworks being "unrealistic". Which is physically correct, because the metal bits don't cool off as fast in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Err, the door was locked, then they've unlocked it, tossed a grenade and figured no one's gonna try to get in and will be dead by grenade a few seconds later anyway, so no need to lock it again.

• Locked thread