Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Erata posted:

Waiting on some game theory articles about Mario not being a human.

Check out Waypoint's sister site Motherboard for your needs!
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/super-mario-isnt-a-human-being-5886b7609848b145c38b46eb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I said that because it is. They very poorly mesh two totally different worlds of journalism together. The people running the site don't know what they want it to be, or at least it seems that way to me as an outside observer. Which is a different statement about a different subject than the first thing you quoted

Fair enough, and that's not an unreasonable argument. I mean, some of the end-of-year stuff wasn't my bag, but I respect that there are people who are really into the fandom aspect and they loved it, so it's good they have a venue -- it was only a week, anyway. But for a site that's four months old and run by an EIC with... oh, four month's experience running a site, they're doing a pretty good job in my book. The streams (launch and continuing) and podcasts have made them a net positive in the world

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

well i still haven't heard it but i associate the japanese with uh. uniting the clans under one banner. making high quality electronics. making high quality cartoons. zen. could be any of those really

I think this is turning Japanese:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Well I mean Yoshi lays eggs right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's Gamestop, what did you expect, they are on a dying business model that more and more resembles a pyramid scheme

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

It's messed up that you need to become a famous world leader to be a playable character in a video game

HOI4 mods are good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I never finished SUPERHOT. Wonder if I should

It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I usually take breaks when I beat a level or a section of a game, which usually works out to that schedule.

It does not work for a game like Nioh, where I realize I have been completely hunched over tensed in the same position for two and a half hours

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Hello, it's your dad. You've been out there for a long time now... It may be none of my business, but don't you think it would be a good idea if you took a
break?

https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/827297044981166080

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will give it a rental if the single player is something besides botmatches. The combat seems like it would really appeal to fighting game enthusiasts though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's rock paper scissors combat based on wind-up and recovery frames. At least, I get completely wrecked and can't do anything like when I try to play fighting games, so that's what I'm assuming is happening!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For real the samurai duel in Nioh was my favorite part of it so far, a whole game designed around duels would be sweet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Sometimes in the overwatch thread they talk about how their mouse sensitivity is so low that they have to slide their entire arm across like three desks to turn around + it is v strange to me

LMAO if you don't play with a controller based on your main's primary weapon

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

precision posted:

If this is 100% real then this in fact owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtDnwLqlPvk

Dude also played D.va with dual flight sticks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZbAcwYqmg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

But Shadowrun does not have (Witcher 3 spoilers) a cameo by dimension-hopping Ciri

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

John wick is immune to hitmen in disguise as he clearly has no problems with collateral damage, so extremely yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alsoOAzFMCo

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

He already "jokingly" uses fascist iconography

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rexroom posted:

He's also pretty gay so that all adds up. :v:

QSYeah that's actually a cheap shot considering his actual views but all the angry/sarcastic YouTubers have these weird followings that I can't explain because you couldn't pay me to actually watch them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Erata posted:

Yea that poo poo owns. It blew my mind finding the first one. Don't go hunting for them too quickly imo. Turns into a grind. Unless you end up enjoying it, then go absolutely nuts.

I have been playing The Witness off and on for almost six months. In terms of normal puzzles all I have left is the challenge. But even though I have kept myself to a Dark Souls-level of avoiding spoilers (which I only fell down on twice) I think I am going to use a guide for those, if I even do them at all. There were a couple of cool environmental ones but hidden-object-game stuff is not as enticing to me

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Controller is fine, most of your gameplay is moving a pointer through a grid and you can lie down on a couch easily while playing it.

However some way to take screenshots of your screen is really helpful

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was like, boogie2988, that name sounds familiar, is he a poster here, and then I remembered that he received the Keighley for Trending Gamer 2016

Edit: seriously how many YouTubers rely on the "I'm real mad at poo poo" schtick, I am in agreement with the comment above that something like that would get exhausting to watch quickly

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yes, the burning question of "When is it OK to be racist", that philosophical conundrum.

Trending Gamer 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Regardless of what was written on the sign the basic premise behind the joke is that a rich white guy is surprised to learn than a poor person in a developing country would do almost anything for any kind of money that would help alleviate crushing poverty. Truly the stuff of jokesters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

racial joke i've been working on: the smw goombas are insanely ugly filth that need to never appear again 😄

Those are actually not Goombas but an entirely different type of creature. I guess they all look alike to you huh?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yes this seems like a good-faith conversation with real concern about the other targets of someone's jokes as opposed to something else

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Yeah. Western games suck

2017 is truly the year of America's decline

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

I wish Horizon: Zero Dawn had gone for an at least vaguely interesting gameplay premise instead of being "Far Cry, but with robots." I mean, poo poo, there are even towers you climb to put icons on your map. That's something even UbiSoft knows people are getting tired of.

I like the idea of its setting quite a bit--verdant, overgrown post-apocalyptic settings are great. It's one of the reasons I love Hyper Light Drifter so much. But everything about the gameplay, from the generic "open world" design and the Far Cry-style crafting and skill trees and all of that, just turns me right off. Maybe it'll be a gem. Shadows of Mordor should have, by all rights, been a generic, lovely Arkham clone but this time there are orcs, but instead it was really fun and had some cool unique twists.

Now every time I see the title of that game, I can hear that terrible voice actor doing his nebbish line readings

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That twist may have been pretty obvious, but it took me the ending of the game to realize the significance behind The Man Who Sold the World and I still think that was a brilliant choice of opening song

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium posted:

not your kind of people and man who sold the world were good choices, and i can't wait to listen to uh. david bowie's Five Years in death stranding

That I'll Keep Coming song was pretty catchy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Razzled posted:

Is halo wars 2 gonna suck rear end

Looking forward to more All Units memes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Fidelity may have improved but I'd still take anyone in OG Mass Effect over Female Richard Spencer and Non-Threatening Black Guy in Andromeda.

If you had told me that was a test render from some upstart indie pushing a weird low-budget game through Steam Greenlight, I would believe you

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

I took a peek into the long-term investing thread to see how I could do more today to help out future me, and god drat it's like I jumped into the DotA2 thread right after a major patch. Just streams of acronyms I don't understand and percentiles that don't make sense that make me want to close the door and pretend I didn't see anything. I need a "Popular Portfolio Builds for Level 30 Idiots" article or something, likely followed by a "Respeccing After A Market Crash" article.

If your workplace has employer-matching 401k, max that out. If you don't have that or want to save more, park as much money as you can in an IRA (Traditional or Roth will be better depending on your long-term income curve). An index fund like Vanguard's is your best bet for set-it-and-forget-it investment as they will automatically diversify your risk while also having the lowest fees, which is where people lose the most anyway

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah those apps are good for people who can't get themselves to save because it does it automatically, but if you are committed to putting money away and have the leeway, might as well try to minimize the middleman and deposit it in big chunks. Acorns makes it money through fees just like any other investment firm, and also probably from taking advantage of those pennies before they get officially invested for you.

If you are a government employee you are probably in the Thrift Savings Program, which is basically the same as any private 401(k) except you pay less in expenses. You can have an IRA on top of that. Also if you are having a child you may want to look into the various savings programs like a Coverdell ESA or 529.

The difference between a Traditional and Roth IRA is when you get taxed. In a traditional, any money you sock away is not taxed, meaning that lowers your taxable income now. However when you withdraw it down the line, it will be taxable income. With a Roth IRA you do not lower your current taxable income, but withdrawals in the future are not taxed.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 15, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

All I know is: spend your souls, there's no reason to be walking around with a surplus, one misstep and they're gone forever.

This, for example, is a bad expense ratio :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

It's funny that the Mobile Strike mobile phone game has ads making it out to be a bomb the middle east to the ground game and also other ads that make it look like a dating app.

Capitalism is hosed up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

The first girl I dated in high school lent me her annotated copy of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. But that's not important. What is important is that no one has mentioned Hark, A Vagrant! and we should all feel a little bad about that.

I bought the game To Be or Not to Be because Kate Beaton did some of the art for that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, the kids thought PewDiePie was funny, so I assume they laughed at that as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

• Locked thread