Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That isn't new. Gamestop was doing this as decade ago, it was one of my first part-time jobs and the exact same thing happened then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

EB Games and GameStop are literally the same thing since like 2004 I thought? At least in America.

I don't doubt that they have quotas and such but in my experience a lot of that stuff is blown way out of proportion. I wouldn't be surprised if all these anonymous employees talking to Kotaku are Record Store Clerk types.

They're absolutely not. Like I said this poo poo had been going on for decades and you can ask any Gamestop employee. At best it depends on how much of a shithead their manager or their manager's manager is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

HHi everybody I am currently at a one-day anuime convention and I am operating on not a lot of restul sleep and my fiancee bought a cute little pokemon pikachu blind bag thing where it's a bunch of mmini furniture based around pikachu and the blind bag she got ended up having a pokemon tv with a pikachu hanging off of it and a soda and a bucket of popcorn with a pokemon label on it and it is fun except for the part where I am struggling to stay awake and am on the verge of crashing and I might just head out to the carr and fall asleep for a few hours because ughhhhhh

How is everybody else doing today

Pretty bad. but hey, I've got games to play so it could be worse!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Did you actually read the series of tweets linked or just that one? The reason the person said that is because even basic enemies can one-shot you.

Basic enemies can oneshot you but "basic enemies can oneshot you" is pretty exaggerated. If you're going for a low-armor build and are fighting a dude with a giant axe who does a flourish you don't get out of the way of, yeah, you'll die in one hit. Notice how many caveats are added to that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oddium posted:

that's one of the least bad funcos at least

Yeah, it actually resembles the character instead of a generic dot-eyed creature with vague hair/clothing similarities.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I mean it's technically only a game but it's a game that people have been playing for over a decade and as it's an MMO it's got a heavy focus on social scenes. It's not hard for someone to be nostalgic about it, especially because they were probably literally a kid when they started and it's a good ol' reminder that nothing will be around forever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's weird how many goddamn loving games we've gotten in the past 6 months or so that were almost/past a decade in production and how well most of them turned out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

This Shy Guy built a sandcastle. If you destroy this sandcastle you are despicable

Shyguys are inhuman scum though and their suffering sustains me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nioh is really goddamn fun. it isn't Dark Souls but in some ways it is better depending on what you're looking for. It's absolutely by a wide margin the best Souls knockoff to date.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Considering purchasing nioh despite the spiders. I wanna fuckin do it. The spiders are scary of the scary-rear end variety but god dammit i do not wanna miss out on this game because of my own fears, video games are about facing your fears!!

You played goddamn Bloodborne you can deal with Nioh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They're expanding (?) E3 attendee allotment by 15,000 so they can open it up to the public.

That...that doesn't sound like it's going to be a hassle to get work done there for the people who actually go to the convention to report on things at all.

Speaking as someone who regularly goes to E3 for work that isn't anything new. The ten billion lovely gamestop employees make doing anything on the floor a giant pain in the rear end at any time and that is why most (good) publishers have private booths.

If you're the kind of person who treats E3 as a place for free swag you'll probably be in trouble but gently caress those guys too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's 61 degrees here today and we're expecting 8 inches of snow tomorrow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can into work through the goddamn snow only for my boss to have contacted everyone but me to let us know we're closed, followed by "Oh well if you're already there do you mind working today?" Feeling a little salty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

W-wait what are you trying to say about Peach

Her name is Princess Peach Toadstool of the Mushroom KIngdom. She ain't human.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Looper posted:

Please don't use a gaiden story as a source

If Peach is a mushroom then what are Daisy and Rosalina?

Rosalina is some sort of space god and Daisy comes from Sarasaland

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Who's the evolved Power Balloon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

10,000 would be an absurdly low number. 1,000 is like almost an insult.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

I really do not want to do this battle royale fight with all the bosses at the end of Shovel Knight. Died too many times and it's just getting to me.

Remember your magic items, most of them can trivialize one of the knights in one way or another.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

So I'm on the final dungeon of SMTIVA and don't really understand why people cite it as a totally awful part of the game or whatever.

Are you sure you're at the final dungeon? i.e: YHWH's Universe, not the dungeon before it?

Because like, it's really not hard to understand. It's a visually bland overly-convoluted teleport maze dungeon full of no-threat enemies, doors that are locked by stats, you can't recruit demons anymore, and even if you're level 99 there are random encounters you can't nullify. Almost everywhere is twice as large as it needs to be and it's certainly about three times as long as it needs to be. It was bad enough they had to patch the Japanese version explicitly to be less crap and even the patched version is by far the most disliked part of the game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 11, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Oh isn't that the post-game bonus dungeon? I haven't tried that yet, I stepped in for a second and then went back to finish the story.

Nope, that's the actual final dungeon, you don't get either story ending until you finish it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training posted:

Oh then I guess I'm further from the end than I expected :sweatdrop:

Yeah, the game seems like you're building up to the conclusion and you basically finish 99% of the plot and then suddenly YHWH off the top rope!

Lobok posted:

I know everyone was waiting to hear so I'm happy to report I did end up beating Shovel Knight. Thanks for the moral support in my time of need.

Now play Plague Knight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, we more or less known how KH3 is gonna play and it's basically like KH2 with some minor adjustments.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh, it's too mundane and down to earth for my tastes. it could use some fantasy. Realism is boring.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

SNES ShadowRun is better than the Megadrive one. :colbert:

I once no-lie saw two people get into an actual screaming fit over this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kinda cute but honestly not very fun to play. It drives home why the 3D Sonics went for the Homing Attack for sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

i just cleared ninja gaiden 3 razors edge. didn't play the older ones. why is the game controversial its seemed good outside of the really annoying "illness that makes your character walk slow and get captured at the end of missions" trope that i loving hate with passion in games

The combat is a huge step back in complexity and challenge from the previous games and especially in the original release (pre:RE) it was well up its own rear end with its story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

So like a DmC thing?

Kiiiinda. NG3 is closer to NG than DmC is to DMC, it just was a disappointment. Razor's Edge fixes some of its issues.

The real DmC for Ninja Gaiden is Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

what even was Yaiba, it came and went without much fanfare and I think comcept was involved?

Yeah, it was Inafune + Spark interactive (the dudes who made Lost Planet 3) who he hired on.

it was just a complete shitfest of a game and nobody cared about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

suuma posted:

Why don't console makers just add keyboard/mouse support for games/consoles and be done with it?

e: like seriously every game should just be a PC version and you can use whatever control you want, controller gimmicks like the wii are stupid

The major issue is that M/K is a significant increase in speed/reaction time/accuracy and you can't really design around both without controller players being unreasonably crippled. It is why Overwatch, for example, has different balance options for PC and console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

suuma posted:

Right, I get it, console shooters don't have mouse support because some players would then have an advantage, but if everybody has access to it what's the problem?

Mouse and keyboards are not packed into the system and many people have television setups that are not very friendly for mouse/keyboard setups. You'd be expecting people to pay extra money in order to have an advantage and you risk people just deciding it isn't worth it.

A lot of people don't have mice and keyboards lying around, especially in the age when a good portion of people use tablets, phones or laptops instead of traditional desktops.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the original NG3 was trying to pull "Perhaps Ryu... is the REAL MONSTER?!" thing. In a game franchise about fighting ninja titty demons with your magic space katana. It didn't work well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I get that, but wouldn't have keyboard and mouse peripherals for console essentially eliminate that problem? Also, I get why it's too much effort to create, but I wish there were a "friends only" version that allowed you to play cross-platform. I know like a dozen people playing Overwatch on the PC, but it's going to be a solid year before I can get my PC in shape, and I want to play Overwatch with them!!

When you design a game you generally have to balance around the majority. There have been shooters that tried keyboard/mouse or cross-platform and it always ended badly because of the gigantic gulf between the two. Even XIM stuff is such a giant advantage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

raditts posted:

So is the rear end in a top hat kid supposed to be named Porky and not Pokey? It didn't occur to me until I was watching my kids play that story mode on the Wii Smash Bros and it was spelled that way there, but it makes sense. Wonder why they didn't bother changing that for the VC version of Earthbound, I guess they figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

Yeah, the joke is that he looks like a pig.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

The big leap was 1 to 2, and they did it with a combination of revenue from console versions and revenue from owning GOG.com

yeah, the key thing to remember here is that this isn't a no-name company who just happened to do something amazing. They have a significant budget. Witcher 3's development team is larger than the team that worked on Skyrim.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

On one hand I agree but on the other money+people isn't enough of an explaination for making better games when you look at the industry as a whole. CDPR's improvements in release quality shows they had some insanely talented people willing to learn from the start and some very good management with a vision.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to deny that they are also a remarkably talented team. It's just worth remembering that they had the resources and people to pull it off too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

Is this the first time they've done a season pass aka the dumbest type of dlc?

No. In fact part they've done multiple season passes for the same game.

This also isn't a surprise as DLC sales are, among other things, part of what made Fire Emblem go from About To Die to We're Making 4 Games At Once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackfyre posted:

My full on ignorance is showing but I can't remember another mainline Zelda/Ninty game that had DLC like this? Not a big Zelda at least?

Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros?

Edit: Like did we literally forget "You can buy Cloud as a DLC character in Smash for $6!" That wasn't obscure news.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

If that sign had said 'I LOVE RAPE!!' nothing would have happened to him.

Are you TRYING to post like you want to write (((DISNEY)))) after every line or is that just a coincidence?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What makes 'jokes' about black and Hispanic people (two groups with an immense and heavy history of violent discrimination in the United States that continues to this very day, and who, generally, live in immense poverty compared to the majority of the country, and who are at risk of losing a lot of hard-fought rights in coming years) acceptable, but saying anything about Jews, the wealthiest, safest and- dare I say it?- most privileged minority group in the entire western world, is a grave offense that must be immediately dealt with?

Hm, yes, please go on about the Jews, Lumpy the Cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Oh. Well, I'm sorry I'm not very knowledgeable about white supremacist online lingo, but... It's cool that you guys are? Somehow?

Yes, Lumpy The Cook, I am aware of white supremacist online lingo. I assume by your incredulous tone you are only aware of things done by groups you agree with which means you must be remarkably ignorant and narrowminded and miss issues far more pressing and critical than online man is a bad. That is sad for you.

• Locked thread