Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Happy February, games chat thread. I will enjoy stopping by to talk about my latest incompetent blunders in Bloodborne, my Saturday visits from my brother for Final Fantasy XV, and my quest to get my friend to come over to play The Witcher 3, since he is the only one at our weekly game night who has not played it, and would very much enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Missing point blank shots is probably too bad, but I don't think you have to be spectacularly good at video games to be a good video game reviewer person, and in fact it often might hurt, because there's a point at which you get good enough that your experience is vastly different from the majority of people who are going to play the game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Still the greatest Sonic image.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This Jon Tron guy is starting to sound like a real jerkwad, whom I wouldn't invite to a party.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

On my way home I stopped at the grocery and someone had left a very little foil balloon things that said HAPPY BIRTHDAY in the check out aisle, like they had been going to buy it but thought better of it just before leaving. I'd forgotten until now, but something about Twenty Final Fantasy Screens Guy reminds me of the discarded balloon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also at the end of the article it says he has to pay extra money for insurance because his place is basically a giant fire hazard, and back from my insurance working years, I can just picture the conversation he had with his homeowner's agent, and I really want to read the line item for the insurance rider for "a jillion wires for Dragon Quest."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like to wait until the "Super complete edition with all the stuff you could buy for this game!" version is on sale when I can, so that I don't even know which of the DLC was sold as some kind of $2 paint job and which ones were basically expansion packs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sometimes I whistle Zelda's lullaby to my bird and he gets so happy he puffs up bigger than Kaepora Gaebora

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, I finally found the elevator to Father Gascoigne, which, I think, wasn't even a shortcut I opened? Like it was just there the whole time? Anyway, he's still kicking my rear end once he gets to the Werewolf phase, but the first two phases, with dueling bullet timing, is loving badass.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I also like the saw weapon you can find from one of the hanging corpses as kind of a cool axe backup, but I'm not sure I have the resources to commit to keeping it up with the axe yet. It takes 8 bloodstones for the next axe improvement and I'm at 7, so I think I'd rather improve that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, the fastest path from the lantern to Papa G is through the shortcut gate and past the trolls to the elevator. I spent a lot of time farming blood vials and practicing my parries on those trolls too

I like that you fight three brick troll dudes along the way, because they used to scare me and now I feel pretty confident fighting two of them at the same time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Good luck, poo poo's hard. I don't know if I'll ever be able to pull that off.

It's not so bad. There are levels at the end of World 5, the middle of World 6, and all of World 7 that make anybody want to scream, but you have infinite continues and they offer a lot of shortcuts via warp pipes for the levels that come back when you game over. (Also the World 8 Fortress is definitely hard, but a warp run isn't going to save you from that.)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bloodychill posted:

I beat it back at release doing warps and using a P wing to get through that endless tank level in world 8. One of these days maybe I'll give a full run a try.

I think there's just a regular level (the one with the angry sun) that I used to P-Wing through, but hell, if you play through world 7, you've earned those damned P wings.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Who's laughing now, Father Gascoigne, huh? Who's laughing now?! Not you, cause you're dead!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

(Actually Gascoigne has a real sad story so I wouldn't gloat)

Real sad story, huh? Well what about the mom that lies dead near him on that roof?

What about the rights of that little girl?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This new job and signing up for a new gym and a new bank and rolling over my 401K are really cutting into my Bloodborne time!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, I did really want to start streaming once I got the PS4 so that I could show off Yoshi, gamer bird, but trying to figure all of that out on top of this major life change is hard. My dream of conning a few friends into watching me play games and getting them to donate to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation once a year is dying on the vine. Somebody please give me eight extra hours each day.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrast posted:

Leave your job, stop going to the gym and don't save money. Problem solved.

I want to do this, but I also need food, and I am responsible for two (2) health insurances. Also, when I took a long break from the gym and played a bunch of Skyrim, my shoulders stopped working and I had to stop playing video games and go to physical therapy.

Tell me more...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

consult your local derelict barn

Hmmm, I may be out of luck here. Do you have anything more urban?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Megatokyo lol

Whenever someone mentions it I have to check to be sure that relic still exists, that the latest update is Fred Gallagher talking about how hard it is to actually post a comic on time, and that glancing at the latest comic, you can tell nothing has changed in the story since 2001. All three things are true this time, I just checked

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cathedral Ward is way easier than Central Yharnam and the Aqueduct so far, if only because the enemies are so spaced apart. Fighting one dude at a time is so much better than dealing with a crowd. I only died once finding the next lantern.

I just keep cracking the Insight skulls, figuring there's no reason not to. I don't see anything to spend it on but Father Gascoigne gear, so I'm going to wait.

Some weird purple portal appeared early in the level and didn't seem to do anything? Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Which is the smelliest type of convention

It almost definitely has to be the Magic card ones, even if there is a convention of people who like rubbing poop on themselves and not washing it off.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Kirby has teeth?

He swallowed an enemy that was a set of chattering teeth with a tiny fedora on it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TFW when you need 10,000 Blood Echoes and instead of playing it safe and doing some boring back and forth grind, you decide to try to kill every living thing in Central Yharnam while practicing a weapon, and you succeed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I went into work today despite it being a snow cancellation, and my boss called me and said "Hey, you're in a union, please go home and do not do any work at all. Thanks." So now I'm kicking rear end in Bloodborne and saying "Thank you, Union." I'm going to go kill the hard guy with the big scythe, who I literally forgot about.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The scythe guy was anticlimactic and I should have killed him a long time ago. For some reason I thought there would be something behind him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

:hellyeah:

Worth noting that there's another way around the 10,000 blood echoes door, if that's what you're grinding for. It involves taking a different route from the Chapel and fighting another boss, then taking kind of a weird path up a tower from the Chapel. (For what it's worth, just opening the gate is a lot easier if you're not confident in your ability to, uh, fall in a controlled fashion.)

I'm sort of torn, because I guess beating the Chapel boss changes the moon phase and makes other stuff harder? I found Old Yharnam, so I guess I could go there instead, but the nice coughing freak told me to go to the Chapel district for Paleblood, so it seems to the most straightforward route.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I probably shouldn't be working too for the same reason but I have all of these papers to grade so I might just plink away at them at home today and just not work tomorrow lol.

Yeah, my wife stayed up until like 2 AM grading papers and now it's the snowpocalypse or whatever, so she has some time to kill and it's kind of nice.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

suuma posted:

Grinding the 10,000 in Central Yharnam isn't so bad at least if you're killing the stuff that drops blood vials more often (i.e. the big dudes).

It's sort of cool to just walk through the whole area and kill everything, because like, I haven't leveled a ton or done much to my weapons since I had difficulty getting through the sewers, but now I can just traverse the entire game that I've been to so far, basically, and come back unscathed, and that's really cool/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is there any reason I should be saving Coldblood Dew? I sort of forgot about them and I have a ton.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i've been playing since 2014 and i'm still really bad but i feel like for the first time i started understanding why i'm bad and feel like i have a path to get better. on the plus side though i don't get hype as gently caress watching piano recitals but i do watching fg tournaments so its easier to stick with

it really doesn't matter but its best to save them for when you have almost enough echoes for an upgrade but don't want to sit through a loading screen to get them or are worried about dying trying cause you have so many echoes on you.

you can always farm echoes so popping all your expendables isn't really needed when you're gonna wish you had 1000 quick echoes lying around later for convenience

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I guess I'll hang on to them, I mean I don't feel under-leveled. The bosses are hard, but the extra 1-2 stat points I'd get from using them probably isn't going to make them a ton easier.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

suuma posted:

The Coldblood items serve as blood echoes that you can carry around and not lose when you die. You can use them if you want, generally I save them (and the similar items in Dark Souls) until I need to buy something that I can't afford or recover from a death. Later on you get so many blood echoes that farming 6-10 vials per pass through Central Yharnam is kind of tedious.

Are vials really that hard to come by later? I feel like I can't get enough of them right now. I try not to use them unless I'm fighting a boss, in the middle of a long, extended trek, or I just fought something is probably going to drop one and I'm missing a little health. I don't think I've ever used 10 or more, it just seems like at the point where you need that much healing, you're already dead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I actually literally laugh out loud when I click on a link and see Cory Doctorow's name.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom is a really fun read, but then, I guess, he writes columns??

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

castlevania is not about monsters being whipped, but rather, our minds, whipped into a fervor that is. "what is a man".... :hai:

In Training posted:

Castlevania is about fixed jump lengths with no air control.

It's about a whipman fighting Draculas.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wouldn't trust the Cory Doctorow article but on the other hand, Steve Bannon did try to write a film adaptation of Titus Andronicus, Shakespeare's torture and rape play, (but in space!!), with writing that rivals "It is the heat death of the Universe" in terms of bad sci-fi dialog, so I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he invested millions of United States dollars in orc gold.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If it comes out tomorrow that Steve Bannon was the one who wrote the "four balls on the edge of a cliff" thing, and it is proven to the point where there is no denying it, I will probably laugh a whole bunch but not be terribly surprised.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Let's just hope that Pac Man doesn't get that treatment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of them is that hypersexualized drawing of Strawberry Shortcake someone drew on the internet.

• Locked thread