Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Mann posted:

That kind of slavish devotion to the content of the source material regardless of how well it actually works in an adaptation is how you get the 90s Mario movie.

That is NOT how we got the 90s Mario movie.

And there really is nothing to castlevania besides a man whipping monsters, if you don't have that, it's not castlevania. This is not a controversial statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Konami asked Nintendo how they can revive interest in the Bomberman series like how Fire Emblem was revived.

Nintendo told them to just fill it with fictional women and/or girls.

And so we arrived here.

[img - Clint Eastwood scowling in disgust]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

Melee isn't a fighting game

:siren: :eyepop: :siren:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Go on a date with Barrett and give Bowser a big kiss.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really take issue with some of these inclusions.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This makes me laugh every time because someone thought a game with this in it would not be a failure.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

chumbler posted:

Yeah but you'd be playing Injustice.

Injustice is a really good game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yoshi used to be cool I swear!!! - me trying to silence the laughter of my nephews as the gay dinosaur coos and preens on a macrame landscape

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

I really do not want to do this battle royale fight with all the bosses at the end of Shovel Knight. Died too many times and it's just getting to me.

*shouting down from the heavens, rolling across the plains*

Get good mate.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Steam, ban the anime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

smenj posted:

Short explanation:
Greenlight = You pay one-time sign-up fee to be able to publish on Greenlight (I think) -> Your game goes on Greenlight -> People vote on if they're interested -> Enough interest means your game goes up on Steam.
Direct = You pay per-game fee -> Your game goes up on Steam.

Longer explanation:
Greenlight was basically having you pay a sign-up fee to list your game on Greenlight, then people go on Greenlight, look at your game or have it suggested to them by Steam or whatever, then vote on whether they're interested or not. Your game gets lots of positive votes => Your game goes on Steam. There were some problems though, in that games often ended up in some kind of purgatory where they had no idea if they'd go up on Steam or not even if there was a lot of interest, as what was deemed as the right amount of votes was kind of arbitrary. Some games were allowed to skip Greenlight and some weren't, and it was a bit random. There were other issues, like a game getting a bunch of 'Not interested' votes simply because it was being shown to people who would have no interest in the genre, rather than there being anything wrong with the game. On top of all that, there were so many games on there and so much crap that people stopped bothering to look at Greenlight entirely.

Valve's idea is to instead replace it with Steam Direct, where you skip the whole voting system and just pay a fee to have your game put up on the store, with the fee there to help stop joke submissions and such. They mentioned you can get the fee back, but nobody really knows how that'd work. Perhaps they keep the money and give you it back if your game sells over a certain amount, or if your game stays up for a while without being reported as some asset-ripping piece of crap, or if your reviews are mostly positive. They apparently asked a variety of devs what fee they'd recommend and got responses between $100 and $5000, but they haven't settled on anything yet. Certainly seems to get rid of most of the worst parts of Greenlight, but I don't know how I feel about the fee becoming per-game as opposed to on sign-up. It's certainly much less hassle either way, and I guess it largely depends on how the fee is refunded, if it is at all.

5k is like, the profit margin for a lot of indie devs starting out. It sounds like a pretty lovely system.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Corporate Personhood isn't enough, we need Corporate Nationhood.

quote:

All AAA-rated and most AA-rated corporations also exhibit a privilege known as “extraterritoriality”, meaning that any land owned by the corp is sovereign territory only to the corp and immune to any laws of the country within. Corporate territory is not foreign soil but corporate soil, just like its employees are corporate citizens, though dual citizenship in a corporation and a nation is common.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 11, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

This is the first time I think I've actively felt my skin crawl while reading something.

Shadowrun is a great, horrifying setting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There is Dragons in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We have juggalos irl too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Surely it should be this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqLFcXZHdMs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

SNES ShadowRun is better than the Megadrive one. :colbert:

This is the undisputed truth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you think john wick could assassinate agent 47

this is important

gently caress no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFFvUlCQ8Rw&t=795s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bye, Felicia.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So how long until like Yahtzee or whoever just straight up gets a swastika tat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

devtesla posted:

isn't he one of the woke ones?? I can't keep up

People tell me Angry Joe is one of the woke ones, and the insane people who keep saying cuck seem to hate him, but I still refuse to click on any of his videos.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

:same: but mostly because he sounds like he was riding the wave of "angry gamer man yells at lovely games" that was seemingly started by the Angry Video Game Nerd. I admit, I'm talking completely out of my rear end though :butt:

What could possibly give you that id-

FirstAidKite posted:

What does "woke" mean in this context

Aware of social injustices, esp in contrast to certain other youtube gamers.

Grapplejack posted:

please don't engage lurdiak

:confused:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Spent all day wanting to get home and play Invisible Inc, then I got home and... didn't

This seems to happen a lot lately, I just sit about like a lump instead of doing what I intended :<

Maybe you should try going to bed earlier, and have more energy to actually do fun things during the day. It's very easy to ignore how tired you are if you just sit around, but if your body and mind need rest, you won't have the energy to do anything interesting.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Is this one of those situations where people are mad that they're not allowed to be jerks to other people without recourse so they try coming up with names to make it sound like a bad thing to be nice to people and treat them equally and not be a jerk to people

Woke hasn't crossed over into pejorative yet, it's just a trendy term atm. I'm sure the awful people are busy trying to poison it like they did social justice, feminist, and countless others though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

[to camera, stoic] i did zi that coming...

:hai:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Western games are cool and strong and my friends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The new Mass Effect characters looked like they stepped right out of a cutscene in the XCom remake.

Hey, the X-com cutscenes were neat and charming.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Saint's Row 2 didn't look very good, but it remains the best

:hfive:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really hope VideoGames' significant other actually is named Lady Videogames.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yakuza's faces are like the CG version of those mangas where every male character looks the same except for facial scars and haircuts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still think dolphin-emulated Wind Waker looks better than the HD re-release. The game didn't really need all that fancy lighting tech...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I dunno how interested I am in hearing the Idle Thumbs guys do a podcast entirely on their unrelated tangent topics, the big appeal of that show to me has always been how insightful they are on games as people who have worked in that industry in various forms, where most gaming podcasts/youtube people/etc are entirely from a player perspective.

That reminds me of the Extra History videos the Extra Credits people make, and how I wish they wouldn't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's unfortunate that the prosecutors becoming your friend at the end is kind of expected by now, because it would be great to just discredit/jail some of those assholes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really hope River City Ransom Underground gets delayed again, because I really don't think they can fix all the issues with the game before launch. I've been playing the beta because I want to give the dev team feedback, but I can't say I'm having much fun with it. Although the latest build is the first one that's actually playable, so that's something.

Sakurazuka posted:

The 3DS thread can go to hell, someone said it was 'fine' to skip all the cutscenes in #FE

Every fire Emblem would be greatly improved if all dialogue and cutscenes in the games were replaced with animated gifs of Ash Williams fighting skeletons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

evil dead is anime

Yes, miss oddium, everything is anime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Raserys posted:

get this, lurdiak, anime is okay, and sometimes, good

Hmmm...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sluggy Freelance

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The VGCats guy is a huge rear end in a top hat and personally hosed over a friend of mine who did a ton of work to get him into a local con. Dude didn't like where his table was so just walked out on the first day, without telling anyone.

ImpAtom posted:

Questionable Content. I don't even know why I was reading it except that I had it as part of my regular internet checklist and was too lazy to remove it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You even like the Magic Draw mechanic?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

There was or maybe still is an LP that showed off the crazy amounts of optional NPC dialogue you can find if you return to out-of-way screens that you have no real reason to return to, but it ends up being very charming.

I like when games do that, it keeps the world from feeling like a glorified corridor. For example the Mario and Luigi games are very bad at not feeling that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

credburn posted:

I'm trying to watch Pewdiepie's response video to his racist shennigans or whatever, but the video is loving hard to watch. I've never actually seen any of his videos because whenever I tried I just saw a video game being played with an annoying guy screaming in the corner. But I guess that's what he does? Well, he has like a thousand videos on YouTube so I'm assuming there is more to him than just that, but this response video -- try watching it. It's here...well, I can't seem to actually copy and paste the link, but anyway, it's easy to find. But watch it, and see how every three or so seconds there's a cut. I mean, if he talks for ten seconds, there are at LEAST three cuts there. What the gently caress is going on here? Is it that he can't go more than a few words without stumbling over his words, or did he need to get rid of even more weird poo poo that could get him in trouble? This video has more quick cuts than a Bourne film.

Youtube superstars are hellspawns and they're all exactly like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6seIQ8rLp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwGaWw3fw7s

• Locked thread